2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
No surprise the first goal was another loose touch from Rashford and another switch off moment from Maguire. Both need shipping out.

He is a good squad option, but he's so very iimmobile and it will get punished like that cross today. Other than that costly mistake he was pretty good.

It’s wild that one of the most drilled in things in coaching is not to let the ball come across and yet Maguire does this multiple times. For whatever reason he constantly lets the ball come across. This isn’t even the first goal we’ve conceded by him not doing the basics. There must be 4 or 5 of them we’ve conceded like this now and the culprit is always him.

Other than that he was actually alright, solid winning easy balls in the air when we were forcing them to lump it. But other than that meh.

Just 1 more season of him stinking the place out. He will be lucky to find a PL club willing to sign him next season. Just not up to it at this level. Always going to let you down.

He was Utd's best player last week, deserved to start. Made a mistake which resulted in the goal but played alright otherwise.

I think he will probably be dropped for next week, on form it would be Martinez but I don't see a Maguire and De Ligt pairing having a fun time against Liverpool.

Was poor for the goal, otherwise ok. Not sure he and Martinez are a great partnership.

Terrible defending for the first goal, he’s probably already had his best game of the season. Backs off too quickly and him and Martinez both looked ponderous today.

Could have done better for the first goal, but then again, Welbeck was free and nobody defending him while he was covering his man. Good second half.

Horrible player that cost us once again. If he starts again over De Ligt against Liverpool ETH has to get his head checked. Laughable footballer. Comical how he let Welbz have a free header on goal.

Anyone can explain me why he is hogging the ball for so long forward just to meet opposition player and then pass it back to Martinez? We know he won’t pass any thru ball and do anything with it. Just pass it to someone who can that.

He'll be gone next summer for free (which is a shame given how much club paid for him) and have 2-3 solid years at another club. Good enough squad option to have this season as he showed last year as well.

He wasn't awful all game like he was for two or three years straight prior to last season, but there's always a costly mistake in him, and he's so slow and immobile that opponents have far too easy a time. He remains a huge liability, even if his performances aren't a constant clown show from start to finish like it used to be.

Tolerable squad player. He cannot be a starter in big games. It's just not viable. Seems like he regularly forgets he's taking part in a football match and does nothing whatsoever in crucial moments.

He was alright today, but I think he's being overrated a bit. Didn't do much wrong defensively, except for not dealing with the speculative cross that led to their first goal, but he was pretty passive on the ball and his notoriously wide turning circle led to a couple of half chances for them too.

Why do we have to play this charade of persisting with historically underwhelming players until the time comes when they inevitably, erm, underwhelm? It's in our best interests to get De Ligt up to speed as quickly as possible. In the meanwhile, we are only hurting ourselves.

Sigh. Colossal Maguire lasted one game. Pathetic defending for the first goal. I still can't understand why would he let that ball go past him when that initial cross comes in. Just clear it.

Shambolic defending all around from everyone for the 2nd goal. 3 players get pulled in and none of them stop the cross and then a free header at the back post.

I don't get why he was saying that he couldn't get the ball for the first goal. He definitely could have but there was a chance he would put it back into his own net. As a defender and in hindsight you take that risk though.

Dreadful signing and an equally abject footballer at this level. There are people who desperately cling on to this silly idea that he has transformed and is the ultimate "professional". Slow on the turn, slow on the ball, does not scan and has the mobility of a rotating shipping container. Ten Hag already has significant pressure on him - if he persists with Maguire then he will be sacked quicker than a bicycle crossing Amsterdam.

I missed their first goal as only caught the second half but thought he played alright from what I seen.

Maguire wasn't the reason we lost today.

Intriguing that none of the other defenders same to get the same criticism or blame for the shambolic defending for the second goal.
Not one defender to the left of the penalty spot where they had 3 attackers waiting for a cross and ultimately scored from it.

I hope he's dropped next week so I can enjoy the mental gymnastics in this thread where people will still somehow find a reason to blame our defeat on Maguire.

He'll be gone next summer for free (which is a shame given how much club paid for him) and have 2-3 solid years at another club. Good enough squad option to have this season as he showed last year as well.
He has +1 year option. I think we will "protect the value" and exercise it.

Dreadful signing and an equally abject footballer at this level. There are people who desperately cling on to this silly idea that he has transformed and is the ultimate "professional". Slow on the turn, slow on the ball, does not scan and has the mobility of a rotating shipping container. Ten Hag already has significant pressure on him - if he persists with Maguire then he will be sacked quicker than a bicycle crossing Amsterdam.
100% agree. I can't believe we still have him at the club, he's just one example of the type of mediocrity the club has accepted over the years. And calling him mediocre is being generous.

Lack of agility for the first cross. Lack of reading of the game for the 2nd.
Never mind. Time to bring De Ligt in though.

I missed their first goal as only caught the second half but thought he played alright from what I seen.

Maguire wasn't the reason we lost today.

Intriguing that none of the other defenders same to get the same criticism or blame for the shambolic defending for the second goal.
Not one defender to the left of the penalty spot where they had 3 attackers waiting for a cross and ultimately scored from it.

I hope he's dropped next week so I can enjoy the mental gymnastics in this thread where people will still somehow find a reason to blame our defeat on Maguire.

We have a shiny new toy the fans and media influencers want in, Given Maguires previous as a meme scapegoat any mistakes from him were always going to be pounced on.

Poor today. First goal was entirely on him. Let the cross pass through the box and covered no one afterwards.

He also made multiple stupid decisions with the ball - the worst one coming at the beginning of the second half where he deliberately gave a throw-in away because he got spooked by the existance of opponents.

Hopefully, de Ligt starts alongside Martinez from now on.

Good 4th choice squad option for this year, gone free end of season.

He has been decent both games....but....he slows play down at the back with the ball and like today, there are deficincies that can etexposed.

When DeLight came on there was an instance of the ball coming into the box and him moving towards it to cut it out....something Maguire failed to do for the first goal...it wouldnthave happened with DeLigt starting. Pre Martinez we saw thesame problem with Lindeol/Maguire....despite the madness of his play Bailly cut these same ballsout that they didnt.

DeLigt has tobe starting, its that simple

No defender should just let that ball sail across the face of the goal like that, you at least attempt to play it away with your left foot, if it skids off you and flies it, you'll get some leeway for it being a wet pitch etc. But not even attempting to play it and then positioning yourself so badly for the second cross is unforgivable defending for me.

Can't wait to see the back of him.

the worst one coming at the beginning of the second half where he deliberately gave a throw-in away because he got spooked by the existance of opponents.

Please tell me this wasn’t the occasion when he kicked the ball out of play when we were under huge pressure because Martinez had got a hand to the face when charging off into midfield?

Thought he had a good second half but the error for the first goal will probably see him rightly dropped to the bench next match.

A year ago our manager was happy to see Maguire leave and Maguire refused to go and instead decided to stay as back-up, because we didn't pay him the millions he wanted to leave.

A year later we've spent £90m on new centre backs and we're rewarding Harry Maguire for refusing to leave by starting him ahead of our signings. Why? Because he didn't make any howlers against Fulham and it would be mean to drop him after a good game.

Just baffling management.

I think he's done alright so far including the back end of last season. He's just not the type of player that can play from the back and provide mobility. I'm baffled he's starting games, he's a squad option at best.

Another moment to mention.

Milner had a 1v1 with our keeper 2nd half which Dalot cleared off the line. He ran across Maguire and Maguire didn't have the quickness to stop him, or get back and make the block. And Milner is 65 years old. A centre back of decent pace and agility is surely matching Milner's run there and stopping him from getting a clear shot away?

We're so used to things like this though that we forget that it doesn't actually need to be the case. Sign quick centre backs and they're able to put out fires before the blaze even starts. Just because we rarely expose our centre backs to a 1v1 footrace in large open space doesn't mean their lack of pace doesn't cost us. Every time the attacker is first to a forward pass ahead of our centre back we really should be asking ourselves "would a quick centre back have been first to that ball instead?"

Now, the fact De Ligt and Martinez aren't quick either is another issue, for another thread. But lack of pace through the middle of the pitch at CB and CM is not ideal, particularly with our high risk pressing, high turnover rate and propensity to get hit in transition.

1:08 in this video

Last edited:
He made one bad mistake but was again very good apart from that. Maybe Licha should be the one to be dropped?

Another moment to mention.

Milner had a 1v1 with our keeper 2nd half which Dalot cleared off the line. He ran across Maguire and Maguire didn't have the quickness to stop him, or get back and make the block. And Milner is 65 years old. A centre back of decent pace and agility is surely matching Milner's run there and stopping him from getting a clear shot away?

We're so used to things like this though that we forget that it doesn't actually need to be the case. Sign quick centre backs and they're able to put out fires before the blaze even starts. Just because we rarely expose our centre backs to a 1v1 footrace in large open space doesn't mean their lack of pace doesn't cost us. Every time the attacker is first to a forward pass ahead of our centre back we really should be asking ourselves "would a quick centre back have been first to that ball instead?"

Now, the fact De Ligt and Martinez aren't quick either is another issue, for another thread. But lack of pace through the middle of the pitch at CB and CM is not ideal, particularly with our high risk pressing, high turnover rate and propensity to get hit in transition.

Look at Saliba there. Even when he was younger, Maguire was never able to do that. Now he doesn't need to do that every game but it definitely helps the team to push up more and be aggressive when they know they can deal with situations like those.

The hope is that Yoro develops into that kind of CB for us if he's as generational as everyone says.

Look at Saliba there. Even when he was younger, Maguire was never able to do that. Now he doesn't need to do that every game but it definitely helps the team to push up more and be aggressive when they know they can deal with situations like those.

The hope is that Yoro develops into that kind of CB for us if he's as generational as everyone says.
Yep. Hopefully when Maguire/Evans leave next summer our next CB signing also has pace. It's a huge asset.

Arteta and Klopp both seem to heavily favour 2 quick CB's. Though funnily Pep has made do without at some points in his career.

But that clip is quite an extreme example of recovery pace. I'm not even greedy. I'd accept a centre back who is able to stop a 65 year old James Milner from getting a shot away. But we have fans on here who apparently don't think it's a big deal that our centre back can't stop James Milner, and are actively praising his performance.

Along with Dalot and Onana he was one of our top performers today
Made one mistake which was costly but was solid.
Why oh why does Erik take off his best CB in the last ten minutes when he is the best aerially in the team and opposition are going to throw balls in the box.
Managers never normally change a CB partnership mid game unless one is injured or we are coasting or one is having a stinker and none of those were the case here.

Last edited: