2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Hopefully his performance will attract some PL clubs to put in a concrete offer with two more weeks until the transfer deadline. We are not at the stage where we ca afford to keep Maguire as 4th / 5th choice CB, considering his age and contract situation.
I’d keep him. Get rid of Lindelof. Maguire is better. We need 4 solid CBs for competition and incase injuries happen. Then we have Evans as a cover CB.

Say what you wanna about Maguire, but he does have a wonderful mentality IMO. It was evident last season how he performed having come back from that torrid time the season before.
His mentality is so good. All the stick he’s received and he didn’t let it affect him and make him worse. He ignored the noise and improved.

He has improved a lot in the last 12 months and his mentality is top notch, really pleased for him, but he is 31 now so the club should be looking to sell him while they can still get a decent fee for him. The signings of De Ligt and Yoro are obviously in preparation to faze him out but the club should definitely sell him while his stock is high and can get a good fee.

He has improved a lot in the last 12 months and his mentality is top notch, really pleased for him, but he is 31 now so the club should be looking to sell him while they can still get a decent fee for him. The signings of De Ligt and Yoro are obviously in preparation to faze him out but the club should definitely sell him while his stock is high and can get a good fee.
If he accepts his role, and by the looks of things he has, why should we sell him when he will be more expensive to replace? It's a squad game, he more than plays his part when called upon and I would look to extend him by a couple of years, on reduced wages to reflect his role, than to let him go on a free and have to spend another 40m to replace him.

His mentality is so good. All the stick he’s received and he didn’t let it affect him and make him worse. He ignored the noise and improved.
That should be commended but he is still prone to feck ups and mistakes when the pressure is on. As long as he plays well, I got no complaints.

I’d keep him. Get rid of Lindelof. Maguire is better. We need 4 solid CBs for competition and incase injuries happen. Then we have Evans as a cover CB.

We are already flooded with right footed CB, I understand Maguire ‘can’ play as a left sided CB but it’s not up to the required standards for ETH when it comes to build up play from the back, hence why ETH has shown preference on a natural left footed player in this position.

If he accepts his role, and by the looks of things he has, why should we sell him when he will be more expensive to replace? It's a squad game, he more than plays his part when called upon and I would look to extend him by a couple of years, on reduced wages to reflect his role, than to let him go on a free and have to spend another 40m to replace him.

He is on £190k per week and we could get a good fee for him now, invest the money into a young promising CB for the future.

He was absolutely brilliant yesterday. If that was De Ligt / Yoro we'd be singing their praises non-stop. I hope he gets rewarded for that performance and keeps his spot - it'd be pretty disappointing for him if De Ligt went straight in as soon as he got fit.

With Yoro out I'd be tempted to keep hold of Maguire and despite all the chat of their lack of pace I think he and De Ligt could still play certain games together against the more aerially dominant sides. He rarely let's you down these days.

Really wish someone would take Lindelof off our hands instead

The pass at 1.40 in that video was one of my favourite things Maguire did. So simple but those type of first time passes when being closed down can create space so easily and a less confident version of Maguire takes a touch and slows the game down there.

Our current best performing CB should be going nowhere. Silly idea. Lindelof who has always been the inferior player is the one to sell if any.

He is on £190k per week and we could get a good fee for him now, invest the money into a young promising CB for the future.
Read again, I said on reduced wages. He is doing well, we already have a young CB on the books and De Ligt is quite young himself. If he maintains his level for the season I wouldn't be averse to keeping him on one year rolling contracts.

He is first choice at the moment. Much better than fans darling Butcher and saved his ass last night.
He had a better match than Martinez yesterday, that was clear enough. But do you think he is a better player overall and for us than Martinez is?

That should be commended but he is still prone to feck ups and mistakes when the pressure is on. As long as he plays well, I got no complaints.
This is not correct, he has been getting absolutely no cover. I hated him for a lot of time and thought he was a bad captain and didn't see any standards at the club.

But in reflection of those times and seasons, he had Fred, an useless Pogba, Mctominay, a constant rotation of center back partners.

Put any defender in his place since he came here, he would fare the same. Players like VVD, got excellent partners, bombarding full backs, kept possession for the majority of the game and great cover and didn't have constant attacks behind peppered at his goal.

Completely different to what Maguire has faced here. No style or rhythm in the team, constantly being attacked and left without support to deal with 2 vs 3 or 1vs 3 in every game, made a mockery by us, rivals and the constant memes. It was ridiculous.

Any defence and goal keeper that faces 20 shots on an average per game are going to make mistakes.

Having Mainoo and hopefully Ugarte with a strong defence will help. We already saw how well he held his own yesterday with he has a great partner in defence and Mazraoui and Dalot as full backs.

A United player needs to have character he has it in bucket loads. His attitude and fighting spirit has won me over and I am sure many United fans feel the same.

Him playing well is great for United.

Been solid in his last few appearances for us and not really put a foot wrong. He's putting himself in the conversation to be a starter, well until Yoro comes back anyway.

Did really well and wish he could be rewarded but I can see him being dropped against Brighton, where ETH will want to play a high line. We've never looked comfortable away to Brighton so we might as well change it up.

The harsh reality is that he's not suited to defending in a high line and uncomfortable against direct, pacey attackers.

He is on 190k a week. That's not the salary of a 4th choice CB

He is on 190k a week. That's not the salary of a 4th choice CB
Can see him being offered a new 3 year deal on reduced wages. It’ll all come down to whether anyone else wants to match those terms for a 32 year old. It would be nice to keep him, he was great yesterday.

keep him for another year. Yoro is already injured and we're deluding ourselves if we think Martinez and de Ligt won't miss any time at some point. Maguire is a solid CB to have around, especially once EL and the cups start and the schedule starts to become congested.

Lindelof is the one to ship off, obviously. Martinez, de Ligt, Yoro, Maguire, Evans is solid depth ... then replace Maguire with a young LCB next summer.

I remember watching the Scotland vs England match last year with my friend when I visited Scotland, I think Scotland were down 0-2 at half time, then Harry came on at half time and I told her, watch he’s gonna score an own goal and Scotland will be right back in it, and then he did and we laughed and laughed.
But, that turned out to be some sort of a peak in his downfall, and he completely turned it around since that night.

I think Maguire has been excellent and arguably our best CB since the beginning of the second part of last season, that’s the type of character you want in the team.
He overcame memeification on levels never seen before, that shows true grit, I rated him as one of our top 3 best players yesterday, that 1 vs 2 Fulham attack was a brilliant piece of defending from him.

Long may it continue, top class mentality.

Harry was great yesterday. Snuffed out danger and moved the ball well. Superior to Martinez who was shaking off from some rust.

It’s a long season and I’d rather have Harry as third CB over Yoro, Evans or Lindelof. We’ll discuss Yoro on his thread but suffice it to say he’s not quite for the gates of fire that is the PL.

Can see him being offered a new 3 year deal on reduced wages. It’ll all come down to whether anyone else wants to match those terms for a 32 year old. It would be nice to keep him, he was great yesterday.

This will be Maguire's last big paycheck. I doubt he'll want to earn less to play less games. Also who on earth gives a 3 year contract to a 32 year old whose not exactly great? Let's stop these Casemiro type contracts shall we?

Probably the best performance I've seen of him in a United shirt. Clearly a very good defender there, and I'm sure it gives Ten Hag a bit of a selection headache about whether to blood in de Ligt as a starter with Martinez, or persist with Maguire.

On the other hand if we are looking to get rid, it does us a world of good for him to perform as well as this in terms of attracting suitors with sizeable bids. Though at this stage of the transfer window I'm not sure if there's any real concrete interest anymore.

Read again, I said on reduced wages. He is doing well, we already have a young CB on the books and De Ligt is quite young himself. If he maintains his level for the season I wouldn't be averse to keeping him on one year rolling contracts.

Well he has 2 more years on his contract, so by then he will be 33 and most likely will start to decline.

This will be Maguire's last big paycheck. I doubt he'll want to earn less to play less games. Also who on earth gives a 3 year contract to a 32 year old whose not exactly great? Let's stop these Casemiro type contracts shall we?
He’s never relied on pace since he hasn’t got any, I can see him maintaining his level into his mid 30s no problem. He’s also hardly injured. I think all we’d have to do is match the terms being offered by other clubs, which shouldn’t be hard.

Great performance! Was good he could be taken off as a precaution as last season, he would have soldiered on to the end, and we could be talking about another serious injury.

I've always been a fan of Maguire, I am susceptible to backing underdogs. As others have said his mentality is top notch and should be commended along with his professionalism too. With the abuse he's suffered, mostly from man utd fans, and bounced back from - I think it's the sort of character and personality we want in the dressing room. Skills on a football pitch can be learned but character is built from experience, and it's characters like Maguire we need in the changing rooms.

He starts next game for me. His spot to lose.

keep him for another year. Yoro is already injured and we're deluding ourselves if we think Martinez and de Ligt won't miss any time at some point. Maguire is a solid CB to have around, especially once EL and the cups start and the schedule starts to become congested.

Lindelof is the one to ship off, obviously. Martinez, de Ligt, Yoro, Maguire, Evans is solid depth ... then replace Maguire with a young LCB next summer.
Right. So after a summer where we spent 100 million on a 18 year old and a 24 year old, invest some more next year.
It is amazing what a few good results can do in terms of recency bias. I also thought, he played rather well in the last month but we also know he isn't the future so take the chance and sell him when his stock is high.

Right. So after a summer where we spent 100 million on a 18 year old and a 24 year old, invest some more next year.

It is amazing what a few good results can do in terms of recency bias. I also thought, he played rather well in the last month but we also know he isn't the future so take the chance and sell him when his stock is high.
Don’t think he wants to leave. Why would you if you were him? He will never play for a big club again

Maguire won’t be offered a new deal. He’s a very good fourth choice centre back for the season ahead, but I think the plan will be to move him on and bring in a player like Branthwaite to replace him.

The days of extending contracts of 32 year olds are over under INEOS.

Well he has 2 more years on his contract, so by then he will be 33 and most likely will start to decline.
Then we cross that bridge when we get there. He has done well over the last 12 months or so and when he was called upon in ETH's first season he was solid. It's not criminal to have quality in depth and remember that one of our big issues has been the disparity between the starters and our squad options.

We have pretty much paid off his transfer fee, his wage though high is not as crippling as that of serial nonperformers stealing a living here and he is not disruptive, even when he faces over the top criticism. Nah, he is one to keep.

yes. I know it ain't pretty, but CB depth and quality is extremely important and after the Maguire/Lindelof years, it takes time and money to get there. Yoro and de Ligt at RCB and Martinez at LCB is already a great foundation, but I think you add one more young LCB to that group and you're set up extremely well for the next few years. Personally I'd go for Jorrel Hato from Ajax.