Final | Spain vs England

The Scottish support whoever England are playing more than they support their own country. It’s pretty fecking small time and pathetic to be honest. I grew up supporting all the home nations, I always wanted Scotland, Wales, and both Irelands to do well. It wasn’t until I got older that I realised their bitter hatred.

Liverpool are in the Champions League final. Doesn't matter who the opposition is. Who are you supporting?

Sorry but comments like

"England would be the worst winners of a international tournament i've seen in my lifetime" are absolutely ridiculous :lol:

Portugal 2016 were absolutely fecking awful.
Greece 2004 was the greatest display for anti football I've possibly ever witnessed.
Even Italy 2020 were jammy, scrapped by Austria in extra time, scraped by Belgium, were dominated by Spain but won on penalties and then won on penalties against England.

The only convincing wins in the past 20 years have been Spain 2008 and Spain 2012, and even Spain 2012 played the most mindnumbingly boring form of shitty-taka.

If England win, they're still 100% playing better than Portugal and Greece, on par with Italy in 2020.

Italy had to play all of Belgium, Spain and England (at Wembley) in a row so I'd say that's a better achievement personally.

Portugal 2016 is a decent comparison, Portugal defensively were just a brick wall in the knock outs that tournament and were in the lighter side of the draw.

Sorry but comments like

"England would be the worst winners of a international tournament i've seen in my lifetime" are absolutely ridiculous :lol:

Portugal 2016 were absolutely fecking awful.
Greece 2004 was the greatest display for anti football I've possibly ever witnessed.
Even Italy 2020 were jammy, scrapped by Austria in extra time, scraped by Belgium, were dominated by Spain but won on penalties and then won on penalties against England.

The only convincing wins in the past 20 years have been Spain 2008 and Spain 2012, and even Spain 2012 played the most mindnumbingly boring form of shitty-taka.

If England win, they're still 100% playing better than Portugal and Greece, on par with Italy in 2020.

This. We don’t play great football by any means but at least we actually have the ball most of the time. It’s more struggling to break teams down than anything else.

Sunday will be tough but a completely different game. Spain will have most of the ball but I’m hoping that they give us a bit of space to play in when we do manage to get it off them.

Liverpool are in the Champions League final. Doesn't matter who the opposition is. Who are you supporting?

Club football is different, I’m British. When I watch the Olympic games I’m not only supporting the English athletes. I do know Scottish people who only support Scottish atheletes though. It’s really fecking weird to me but whatever.

This. We don’t play great football by any means but at least we actually have the ball most of the time. It’s more struggling to break teams down than anything else.

Sunday will be tough but a completely different game. Spain will have most of the ball but I’m hoping that they give us a bit of space to play in when we do manage to get it off them.

You don't get praise for keeping the ball against teams ranked 57th in the world.

England have responded well every time they are behind. Ireland used to do that, but we were usually the vastly inferior team.

England have the players to be much braver and better. Greece did what they did by being greater than the sum of their parts are still get painted as awful.

If we win the final I'm thinking Mainoo will be Player of the Tournament. Also if Kane scores he will probably take Golden Boot too.

If we win the final I'm thinking Mainoo will be Player of the Tournament. Also if Kane scores he will probably take Golden Boot too.

He's been great since he came in but a few of the Spanish lads have been there since the start and consistently performed.

i am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. some of you have come fresh from middlesborough or stoke. and some of you have come from areas where your quest -- quest for 3 lions left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by the winds of immigrant brutality. you have been the veterans of creative suffering. continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive. go back to middlesborough, go back to aldermaston, go back to the south hams, go back to guernsey, go back to london, go back to the slums and ghettos of our northern cities, knowing that somehow this situation can and will be changed.

let us not wallow in the valley of despair, i say to you today, my friends.

and so even though we face the difficulties of today and sunday, i still have a dream. it is a dream deeply rooted in the southgate dream.

i have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all of you are not created our equal."

i have a dream that one day on the hills of the lake district, the sons of spaniards and the sons of englishmen will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

i have a dream that one day even the county of bedfordshire, a county sweltering with the heat of immigration, sweltering with the heat of a labour government, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

i have a dream that my two little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their shirt but by the content of their character.

i have a dream today.

i have a dream that one day, down in clacton, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of "interposition" and "nullification" -- one day right there in clacton, little english boys and english girls will be able to join hands with little foren boys and foren girls as sisters and brothers.

i have a dream today.

i have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the southgate shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.”

this is our hope, and this is the faith that i go back to the home counties with.

Club football is different, I’m British. When I watch the Olympic games I’m not only supporting the English athletes. I do know Scottish people who only support Scottish atheletes though. It’s really fecking weird to me but whatever.

England v Scotland is literally the oldest recognised rivalry in international football, and the rivalry between the two countries goes back a whole lot longer than that. I don't think it's 'fecking weird' that some people wouldn't want their oldest rival being successful.

England v Scotland is literally the oldest recognised rivalry in international football, and the rivalry between the two countries goes back a whole lot longer than that. I don't think it's 'fecking weird' that some people wouldn't want their oldest rival being successful.

Agreed. I've got no hard feelings or consider it strange that Scotland want us to fail, it makes sense. Can't compare it to wanting the Olympics as that's Britain, it's totally different. Scotland have their own long running football history.

You don't get praise for keeping the ball against teams ranked 57th in the world.

England have responded well every time they are behind. Ireland used to do that, but we were usually the vastly inferior team.

England have the players to be much braver and better. Greece did what they did by being greater than the sum of their parts are still get painted as awful.

Not saying we should get praise, it’s still been dull, just that I’ve seen plenty of sides that have been more negative in tournament football.

I can get my head around the notion Walker and Shaw might not do too badly against Yamal and Williams on a one-on-one basis. What I'm really struggling to get my head around is how England will win the midfield battle. And if they don't, they won't have many chances and Spain will push them back relentlessly, which also mean they'll create a lot of chances. If England takes this, it'll go down as outright heroic.

Last edited:
Pickford < Simon
Walker > Carvajal
Stones > Le Normand
Guehi < Laporte
Shaw > Cucurella
Rice < Rodri
Mainoo < Fabian Ruiz
Bellingham > Olmo
Saka = Yamal
Foden > Williams
Kane > Morata

6.5 - 4.5 advantage England player for player (Based on performances throughout the season).

The advantages for Spain will be:
1. They are better coached, so the team is better than the sum of it's parts, whereas England is worse.
2. They are better in the key area which is midfield.
3. They're players seems to have fresher legs.

England saving the final by ensuring that Michael Oliver can't be involved!

Pickford < Simon
Walker > Carvajal
Stones > Le Normand
Guehi < Laporte
Shaw > Cucurella
Rice < Rodri
Mainoo < Fabian Ruiz
Bellingham > Olmo
Saka = Yamal
Foden > Williams
Kane > Morata

6.5 - 4.5 advantage England player for player (Based on performances throughout the season).

1. They are better coached, so the team is better than the sum of it's parts, whereas England is worse.

keep in mind Laporte has been playing in Saudi Arabia so he’s no longer Man City Laporte

Pickford < Simon
Walker > Carvajal
Stones > Le Normand
Guehi < Laporte
Shaw > Cucurella
Rice < Rodri
Mainoo < Fabian Ruiz
Bellingham > Olmo
Saka = Yamal
Foden > Williams
Kane > Morata

I dunno about the season, but Cucurella has been fantastic this tournament as has Nico Williams. No fecking way they're worse than Shaw and Foden.

I don't really support England, but I'm rooting against Spain.

it’s the conquistadors vs the liberators, i don’t blame you for nailing your colours to the mast of freedom.

Hard to believe there’s going to be a game where Spain aren’t the worst divers and moaners and that’s without Grealish in the squad.

I dunno about the season, but Cucurella has been fantastic this tournament as has Nico Williams. No fecking way they're worse than Shaw and Foden.

Yes, there are obviously a lot of Spanish players that have performed better in the tournament, but if Cucurella signed for us, and Williams signed for City, I would not expect either to start many games in favour of Shaw and Foden. And so, I classified the latter players are better.

England with the right tactics can win this. Individually there's very little in this however as we saw yet again last night in the 2nd half, when Koeman changed tack and shut down the space from the 1st half, Southgate did nothing to respond tactically until Palmer and Watkins came on. He reacts too slowly if he reacts at all, can't do that against the Spanish.
If we get at them and keeping going at them a bit like the first half last night, we have a chance. If we sit back and play sideways football like we did in the 2nd half and have done the rest of the tournament, there's no way we hold them off.

Yes, there are obviously a lot of Spanish players that have performed better in the tournament, but if Cucurella signed for us, and Williams signed for City, I would not expect either to start many games in favour of Shaw and Foden. And so, I classified the latter players are better.
That's fair enough (I dont watch either at their clubs honestly).

Please prevent them from winning the 4th title. Winning 3 of the last 5 tournaments? No thanks.
I also like the fact that it is still possible for a nation to win their first EURO tournament. So far there have been 10 different champions in only 16 tournaments.

I believe Spain will win the next World Cup.
They have excellent players and importantly a very good manager.
But it is just one game. And we have very good players too.
Southgate has managed to show some courage in having the team play to the strength of our players.

We have a very good chance in bringing it home.

If we went with a back 3 with 2 wingbacks - that will deal with the wing threat from Spain. We need to bolster the defensive midfield with Wharton to track Olmo or Morata's movement and leave Mainoo and Rice to harry Rhodri.

Bellingham at the tip of a diamond midfield and Watkins up front. Mainoo and Rice can go into attack if an opportunity arises.

If we go in with Kane we will be feeding off scraps and depending on set pieces as English sides have done for years. This side has the players to do the necessary but I don't have confidence in the manager to make the changes.

Pickford

Walker Stones Guehi

TTA _______________________________ Shaw
Wharton

Mainoo ___________________Rice

Bellingham

Watkins​

Last edited:
England have never lost European Championship tournament game against Spain.

We want revenge from the 1996 robbery. It still hurts :(

Yes, but it was an odd game as Italy just kept committing too much forward and being caught on the counter, and it also wasn't spain's main style during the rest of the campaign.

Spain played that game with a weird variation of 4-6-0 or 4-3-3-0 with no striker.

3 attacking midfielders, 3 central midfielders. no striker. Fabregas "leading the line".

Predictably, it was spain doing 1000 passes per game with very little penetration.

False. Spain played 3 games with a starting 9 (Torres twice in the group stage and Negredo once in knockouts) and another 3 with Cesc upfront (the final among them). Spain played the same way we played the rest of the Championship.

Spain built with the ball all goals except the 3rd, from behind.

Spain "won" 6-1 in the group stage and 6-0 in the knockouts. "Little penetration".

You should revisit that championship because your clearly don't remember it very well.

wtf is this nonsense.
you see Spanish and current copa America play acting diving and unsporting behaviour and you think England are the problem?

be a little bit serious, you were winning literally one minute against netherlands and it was enough to see bellingham rolling like he was dead in a fault that merely touched him.

I don't really support England, but I'm rooting against Spain.

I guess it is due to historical reasons but Netherlands is the country that I see a higher ratio or hate/"good wishes" against Spain in any topic haha. Thank you.

It is interesting from a Spanish point of view because we don't feel any kind of rivalry with Netherlands. We would expect it from France/England specially, but you are like Congo to us in that sense, 100% neutral.