Final | Spain vs England

Kane has to be benched, he looks way off it in this tournament, you can't carry a player through a game against this spain side, I wouldn't even mind foden replacing as a false 9
Unless someone serves him some dodgy lasagna the night before he will be leading out England on Sunday, he will be shit for 80 odd minutes, get subbed off and England will score just before the 90th, probably a consolation goal at that point though.

It’s pretty cool that both teams will line up in the final with highly rated teenagers, who have not disappointed in this tournament, and who have been amongst the best players on their team.

Spain clearly the tournaments best team but still rather them than France. France are incredibly hard to beat and England don’t have what Spain do to break them. Spain might win 3-0 but on the flip side I can see us holding our own and getting at them.

I agree with this actually.

I think we have a better chance of beating Spain than we had of beating France, but also a better chance of getting hammered by Spain than we did by France.

The France game would have just been a dull 1-0 defeat or a loss on pens. Spain could be anything.

It’s pretty cool that both teams will line up in the final with highly rated teenagers, who have not disappointed in this tournament, and who have been amongst the best players on their team.

One of the few positive things in this tournament. Yamal, Güler, Mainoo…

Sorry but comments like

"England would be the worst winners of a international tournament i've seen in my lifetime" are absolutely ridiculous :lol:

Portugal 2016 were absolutely fecking awful.
Greece 2004 was the greatest display for anti football I've possibly ever witnessed.
Even Italy 2020 were jammy, scrapped by Austria in extra time, scraped by Belgium, were dominated by Spain but won on penalties and then won on penalties against England.

The only convincing wins in the past 20 years have been Spain 2008 and Spain 2012, and even Spain 2012 played the most mindnumbingly boring form of shitty-taka.

If England win, they're still 100% playing better than Portugal and Greece, on par with Italy in 2020.

Tons of negativity, which is a little disappointing. England can win this. It’s one game, anything can happen. Spain are great but their defence can be got at, and then tend to turtle up when they go ahead. They are far from invulnerable.

I also don’t understand the criticism of some saying England don’t try and play football. Until they quite obviously became exhausted, they were so front foot forward and dominant today it was ridiculous. That first half, England played the Netherlands off the park. The Dutch had to pull off a striker and replace him with a midfielder, and almost eliminate their goal threat - except from set pieces - in order to cope with England.

They were deserved winners today, by a substantial margin, and the Netherlands only really came into it when the extra hour of football over the last week started to weigh heavily on English legs. They will give Spain a run for their money in the final, especially if Spain go with a very high line.

Spain have been the best team of the tournament so far and England (except tonight) have been poor and boring so looking at that I'd like Spain to win. But Shaw and Mainoo winning Euros with England before coming back to United would be great as well.

Spain are favourites, but this could be England's year finally. Germany won the Euros in England in 1996, perhaps it's time England win it in Germany.

First real test for Kobbie.

Same lineup as today, with possibility of Shaw starting instead of Trippier. I'd have Palmer over Bellingham or Saka and Watkins over Kane but we know it wouldn't happen.

This is the fun part where Spain get built up as a world class team for the next few days then on Monday morning after we beat them they are a joke and "Cucurella and a school kid were 2 of their best players lol"

"Pfft well done you beat a team with a 40 year old right back and a real Madrid backup on defence."

"Oh amazing Stones managed to stop Morata, sooo impressive."

All of these will be posted by people unironically who will also currently unironically say England are about to be dominated.

Feels like a no brainer to start Shaw in this. Other than that I’d probably say unchanged team. Kane has been rubbish but he’s still England’s best goal scorer.

I think Spain will beat us but it’s a one off game. If Manchester United can beat City in the cup final, England can win this.

Sorry but comments like

"England would be the worst winners of a international tournament i've seen in my lifetime" are absolutely ridiculous :lol:

Greece 2004 was the greatest display for anti football I've possibly ever witnessed.
Even Italy 2020 were jammy, scrapped by Austria in extra time, scraped by Belgium, were dominated by Spain but won on penalties and then won on penalties against England.

The only convincing wins in the past 20 years have been Spain 2008 and Spain 2012, and even Spain 2012 played the most mindnumbingly boring form of shitty-taka.

If England win, they're still 100% playing better than Portugal and Greece, on par with Italy in 2020.
Didn't they hammer Italy in the final with one of the best final performances?

Didn't they hammer Italy in the final with one of the best final performances?

Yes, but it was an odd game as Italy just kept committing too much forward and being caught on the counter, and it also wasn't spain's main style during the rest of the campaign.

Spain played that game with a weird variation of 4-6-0 or 4-3-3-0 with no striker.

3 attacking midfielders, 3 central midfielders. no striker. Fabregas "leading the line".

Predictably, it was spain doing 1000 passes per game with very little penetration.

Haha okay. I guess I will just never understand supporting a club where you despise the national team for the country in which it’s based. Each to their own I suppose.

i don’t understand it either

As an Aussie I'm supporting England in this purely for Mainoo.

FA Cup followed by a EURO Cup will be good on his resume when we start his GOAT debate in a few years.

I hope Spain destroys England. Like a proper humiliation. It wont happen, but a man can dream. I have never seen a more boring and insufferable team than this England team. Everything wrong with modern football condensed into one team. I would love for Southgate to lose another final. All of them are so bland both on and off the pitch.

I will always root against anti-football teams.

Yes, but it was an odd game as Italy just kept committing too much forward and being caught on the counter, and it also wasn't spain's main style during the rest of the campaign.

Spain played that game with a weird variation of 4-6-0 or 4-3-3-0 with no striker.

3 attacking midfielders, 3 central midfielders. no striker. Fabregas "leading the line".

Predictably, it was spain doing 1000 passes per game with very little penetration.
I think you're right about that. I don't remember that tournament that much to be honest.

Spain might be favorite by the bookies but 90 mins are 90 mins and a final is a final. I don't think it will pay very different.

Recovering Carvajal is a big plus for us but I'm still worried about substitutions (big improv in France game though). We have clearly less depth than England and going to extra time can be very difficult for us. Spain have been kind of conservative in knockouts when winning, and England have been more dangerous when behind. I hope we understand that we need to keep trying to score even if we are one goal up.

Sorry but comments like

Man, Spain 2012 is one of the best Euro champions ever, at least statistically.

6 games
12 goals scored
1 received

Ireland, Italy and Croatia in group stage.
France, Portugal and again Italy in knock outs. All quality teams except Ireland.

4-0 in the final (biggest difference of all time) in a 90 min exhibition of pure football.

We are 13-3 this year (also 6 games but Albania and Georgia among them).

Haha okay. I guess I will just never understand supporting a club where you despise the national team for the country in which it’s based. Each to their own I suppose.
Guess its a bit like loving a people and not its government. United is part of the people, a national team is basically seen as an extension of government - or rather everything a nation stands for. Maybe not the best comparison but I'm a bit high and that's the best I could do.

I'm feeling oddly hopeful. Think we've grown into it.

It's absolutely laughable typical SadCafe English hate to suggest we'd be the worst Euros winner ever.

I hope Spain destroys England. Like a proper humiliation. It wont happen, but a man can dream. I have never seen a more boring and insufferable team than this England team. Everything wrong with modern football condensed into one team. I would love for Southgate to lose another final. All of them are so bland both on and off the pitch.

I will always root against anti-football teams.

wtf is this nonsense.
You have never seen a more boring and insufferable team? Everything wrong with modern football condensed in one team?

you see Spanish and current copa America play acting diving and unsporting behaviour and you think England are the problem?

how are England worse than teams like Serbia or Denmark or any of the other defensive crappy teams who not only park the bus but suck at it.

As a man who is neither English nor Spanish, all I can say is that I am rooting for football and that only player for the English had played proper football — Kobbie Mainoo. He’s the only reason I want to see England, a team which looked horrendous, win.

So chuffed for England. I think, as mentioned in a different thread, playing badly in the group stages has worked to England’s advantage.

If they won each group stage match 3-0. As always the media & pundits would start going overboard and made us favourites to beat any team in history. But the slow start lowered expectations, vs Netherlands we were not strong favourites and it worked.

Now vs Spain. I think England can win. Play to our strengths. Going in as underdogs will hopefully make us not lose focus.

I agree with this actually.

I think we have a better chance of beating Spain than we had of beating France, but also a better chance of getting hammered by Spain than we did by France.

The France game would have just been a dull 1-0 defeat or a loss on pens. Spain could be anything.

Echoing all of this. On the other hand if it had been France-Holland I actually quite fancy the latter's chances of going all the way, but Spain-Holland would have been as straightforward as they come for the former!

Such a funny game, this football.

Don't think Southgate will change the team that won the games, would be terrible mistake to continue to start the same team. Spain will dominate the game, better to play Gordon and Watkins to stretch the game instead of Foden/Saka, Kane. Need some space and players who can make runs.

Just get it to penalties and we win. We need Foden to play like he did against Holland since he was clearly up for it and the best player on the pitch. If Bellingham turns it up a notch and the kid keeps playing the way he has I think we win it.

England looked like they had improved from the previous games, they looked overall to be more of a goal threat than the dutch and looked the better team to me. Englands form is improving, I think they have a real chance against Spain even if Spain have been clearly the best team.

I have a feeling this will be like the Man Utd vs Barca 2009 final. I keep coming to this game when thinking of England vs Spain final. No idea why

I have a feeling this will be like the Man Utd vs Barca 2009 final.

Utd got schooled in both their Barca CL finals and Carrick's a better passmaster than any of England's current midfielders. Spain's midfield trio aren't Xavi, Iniesta, or Busquets but Yamal & Nico v Trippier/Walker/half-fit Shaw will be the decisive battles IMO.

Kounde did a great job of keeping Nico quiet so it's not impossible but all tournament England's
big weakness are the FB/WBs.

The way Spain play is a kryptonite for England. Spain are beatable but not by England. England have no chance.

I have a feeling this will be like the Man Utd vs Barca 2009 final. I keep coming to this game when thinking of England vs Spain final. No idea why
Because you’re thinking of that Spain and most United fans have PTSD from that era of Barca / Spanish dominance. This Spain team is good and a fun watch but I don’t see them as a team to be feared. They don’t have that many goals in them and they don’t have the midfield they used to. I’d personally prefer a Spain win this time but it’s going to be very close and I have a feeling England will do it.

It was 4-0 they penetrated them pretty much at will. It was probably the most one sided major final in history

Also every one of the goals came from a killer through ball. Literally all 4 were defense splitting penetrating passes.