Favourite United Player Who Wasn't That Good

GettyImages-78505336.jpg

Brian greenoff jack of all trades master of none god rest his soul but he certainly wasn’t the best greenoff to play for us

Not sure what it says about me but this thread has made me realise that there's a strong correlation between my enjoyment of a player and their performance for us. Some left field shouts would be Angelo Henriquez, Nick Powell and Chris Eagles but I wouldn't say I loved them, just hoped they'd make it despite being shite.

Forlan is a good shout, even though he had a very good career after United. He struggled while he was here, but his qualities were undeniable.

Barthez is also one for me. He wasn't great, but he was great fun, and would shock you sometimes with brilliant skills and saves.

Weghorst also underwhelmed, while still adding a lot of value to our team. We played some our best football when he was the target man up front. He made our attack free flowing, even though he couldn't score to save his life. His constant pressing and playmaking up front are things we have massively missed since he left. But alas, a striker is judged on his goals, which is fair due.
:lol:

All is relative.

Lou Macari. s a kid ,I felt he was better than Kenny Dalglish, even if he wasn’t actually better than Kenny Dalglish. Or Kevin Keegan.

Anderson. For a while, I was certain he was going to be Scholes heir and best midfielder ever st Man United. Loved the guy, and the player, but it turned out those two weren’t compatible.

But both these were good, just much less so than I thought/wanted to think they were.

We jad players like Manucho, coming in with stories and strange rumours about them, but never actually being close to being of the required level. But in fact, even the total duds reached a level in footbal higher than 99,9% of thenpeople I ever played with, so it’s hard for me to call them ‘not good’.

What is "not that good"? Because if Park and Berbatov count (they've both been mentioned), then we've set the bar really high.

Fred.

Named my Cat after him, he too takes 4-5 touches to get a ball under control.

Yeah...but I don't really mean "good for us" I mean "good in general". I'd give you Forlan, maybe, because he kicked on later at smaller, underdog teams, but Berbatov is too good to be nominated in my opinion. He was also pretty decent for us overall, didn't he have a 25+ goal season or something?
Surely then Forlan is out. Insane to suggest otherwise. Two time Pichichi and European Golden Boot winner, joint top scorer and Golden Ball winner at the 2010 World Cup. Scored in both legs of a Europa league semi and twice in the final.

Jesper Blomqvist
Quinton Fortune
Eric Bailley
Darren Fletcher
Jonny Evans
Rafael
Fabio
Fellaini

Last edited:
That would be the one debate/interpretation, yeah. I mean, great servant and squad player. Almost a “world class” squadie, if such a thing existed. But yeah, not quite upper echelons. Again, open to interpretation. He’s one of my favorites.
@MiceOnMeth i have no complaints really. As I mentioned to someone else in this thread, it’s open to interpretation and I’m not trying to downplay O’Shea.

That Herrera is mentioned in a “not that good” thread is bizarre.

Not that good for United was Forlan. An incredibly likable footballer who had a few mint moments for us but it just didn’t come off enough often enough…for us.

I really liked Tom Cleverly when he first came onto the scene after Scholes had retired. Thought he had something about him but he really wasn't that good.

Wout Weghorst was probably the footballer with the least amount of talent that got regular playing time for us, but he was a likable guy.

Some of the names in this thread have no business being here. They were good players.

Always liked Silvestre. He was shite for Arsenal, but for Utd he was always reliable at LB or CB.

I have given this some thought, around 5 minutes worth, and decided that Anderson is that guy for me. What's really feckin annoying is he clearly had the talent, as we saw it sporadically. But then, he went and got all fat, and immobile. Shame really. Alot of mid performances..

Chris Smalling. Limited on the ball, but generally a decent defender. That said I think it limitations on the ball were a little overblown. Possibly the fastest 6ft6 player I've seen, his top speed was crazy. He was very good in 15/16 and again in 17/18. He should have gone to the World Cup in 2018, but somehow Phil Jones and an ancient Gary Cahill got the nod over him.

For such a big clogger of a defender, he was good for a goal with his feet now and then. The winning goal at the Etihad being my favourite.

I liked Herrera a lot too. He wasn't particularly good at anything. Decent technique and short passing, but he really just excelled at running around and shithousing, like a bizarro evil Tom Cleverley.

Wout Weghorst was probably the footballer with the least amount of talent that got regular playing time for us, but he was a likable guy.
For me, wout was the very definition of mid and a good representative of the team as a whole. No offence to him, obviously. His name was the best thing about him. Making him sound like some sort of super sausage..

Mentioned this in passing in another thread, but I love how passionate Schweinsteiger is regarding our club despite being way past it when he joined.

Absolutely, even though he was in the cigar and slippers phase of his career, loved having him around.