Favourite United Player Who Wasn't That Good

Ander Herrera, Shinji Kagawa, Anderson, Morgan Schneiderlin.

I probably just wanted our midfield to be good :lol:

Wes Brown played over 350 games for United, got an assist in a CL final and played 25 times for England!
Yeah weird mention, he was super solid, versatile and would easily be a first team player these days. Loved the lad, I remember him being a juggernaut against Barça in our last victorious CL campaign

Evans? O Shea? Phil Neville? Forlan? Park?
The biggest strength of SAF, he knew how to build a squad of players who were good enough to fill the gap when needed but understood why they are second choice

A squad player doesn’t mean they’re not good players. Which all of them are. Forlán 2x La Liga top goalscorer and 2x European Golden Shoe winner ffs.

Machedaaa.

I really wanted Anderson to come good for us, he would go on the occasional run of 5-6 great games and look like he would, but never consistently.

I also enjoyed watching Obertan play, he looked like an egg head Ronaldo regen in his first few games. Quite a skilful player, just a shame about the rest.

A squad player doesn’t mean they’re not good players. Which all of them are. Forlán 2x La Liga top goalscorer and 2x European Golden Shoe winner ffs.
Park was quality - he was competing for attacking positions with some unreal players. He would have started in most other teams.

I quite liked Weghorst. He was awful but seemed to really work hard and coincided with some good form. Absolutely awful for us but still…

also, to anybody saying O’Shea, that seems harsh. To be able to do a 6/10 job in about 5 different positions is a talent in itself

Ighalo was another one I liked. Clearly not United material, but fully committed and scored a couple of decent goals.

He wasn’t exactly bad, more disappointing considering what he could have achieved with us based on his talent, but Juan Mata aka the nicest man in football.

I love Jesse Lingard

Born and raised a Red

Grew up in our academy and went on to represent the first team and his country

Scored a winning goal in the fa cup final

Played with a smile on his face, laughed, danced and clearly loved playing football for Manchester United and England

That so many people are angered by him outwardly enjoying his life absolutely baffles me

Herrera, Kagawa, Hargreaves (for us), Mkhi, Blomqvist from earlier eras perhaps, Schweinsteiger (the version we got), Matic - From this current era, I'd put McTominay in there.

Park imo was a squad player but was excellent and still got a good amount of minutes, almost a like for like sub at times - He would've made it to the first team at a lot of other good clubs, he just came into United during an era where we had world class midfielders and wingers, I think a player with his kind of commitment would have easily made first team regularly at United in this current era.

Herrera, O'Shea, Butt(maybe not fair to put him here, cause he was actually better than people remember, but still), Matic and Scwheinsteiger

Edit: Forlan, he was a bust with us, but still really liked him and wanted him to succeed.

Herrera, Kagawa, Hargreaves (for us), Mkhi, Blomqvist from earlier eras perhaps, Schweinsteiger (the version we got), Matic - From this current era, I'd put McTominay in there.

Park imo was a squad player but was excellent and still got a good amount of minutes, almost a like for like sub at times - He would've made it to the first team at a lot of other good clubs, he just came into United during an era where we had world class midfielders and wingers, I think a player with his kind of commitment would have easily made first team regularly at United in this current era.

I really liked him too. Mainly from a goal celebration he did with the shirt sleeve pulled over his fist, against Everton or Blackburn. For some unexplainable reason that celebration made me like him a lot.

Ronnie Johnson is another of my favourite. Not that he wasn’t good but he’s not quite regarded as Bruce/Stam/Vidic/Rio good. But for me he would be my favourite CB out of all CBs United has had since I have followed the club.

Fellaini. So unique as a player. Shame his unique skillset wasn’t conducive to attractive attacking football or he would’ve had a lot
more fans here

Quinton Fortune, Forlan and Felleini

Januzaj and James Wilson I desperately wanted to fulfill potential. weren't that good in terms of producing consistently for Januzaj and poor Wilson never hit the heights I thought he would have

Pereira.
Always wanted him to make it here.

I really liked him too. Mainly from a goal celebration he did with the shirt sleeve pulled over his fist, against Everton or Blackburn. For some unexplainable reason that celebration made me like him a lot.

Everton... And it was his only goal for the club. :lol:

Herrera (great in big games), Ighalo, Young, Gibson (mostly for goal vs Bayern), Romero*

*Not sure Romero goes in this category as he was good. And deservedly was our first GK in Europa League campaign when we won it.

Jordi Cruyff.

I know a lot of people see him as just the guy who wasn't as good as his father, but I thought he was a good player with good potential. Awfully unlucky with injuries, and his versatility also meant he was played in different positions - wing, striker, behind the striker. Between the two issues, he couldn't really develop enough.

After agreeing with pretty much every player mentioned I think I’ve got a thing for the underdog. Those players who either seem to truly love the club or give the max effort all the time. Weirdly they seem to be the guys that get the most stick too or even hated at times.

I’ll add Cleverly to the list. Still remember him and Anderson burning Arsenal.

Is it too harsh to say Rafael? I loved his passion and thought we should never have sold him. I also thought there was a point around 2013 where he was one of the best RBs in the league, but maybe that's my bias speaking.

Tim Howard, Rafael (he did have moments), Kagawa, and McT recently if played further up the pitch. Sabitzer I felt offered more than people would have you to believe also.

Is it too harsh to say Rafael? I loved his passion and thought we should never have sold him. I also thought there was a point around 2013 where he was one of the best RBs in the league, but maybe that's my bias speaking.
For me Rafael was our best player after RvP and Carrick in 12/13 season. Was only 23 and it's a shame how it gone bad afterwards.

Mal Donaghy. I named my pet rabbit after him when I was a kid :lol:

Remember Kevin Moran telling about how he left Utd for Spain and after he left Mal Donaghy signed.

Ferguson basically told Moran he was too old and too short, the wrong side of 30 and under 6 ft. Then went and signed Mal Donaghy who was a year older and only quarter of an inch taller.

90s: Jordi Cruyff
00s: Forlan
10s: Herrera
20s: Fred