Favourite United Player Who Wasn't That Good

Absolutely, even though he was in the cigar and slippers phase of his career, loved having him around.
Deleted my post because I was unsure if “wasn’t that good” applied to just United stint or throughout the career.

We made that signing 5-6 years too late, but Bayern wouldn’t have sold to us then.

Silvestre, who actually was good but many remember him for his errors.

I really liked Tom Cleverly when he first came onto the scene after Scholes had retired. Thought he had something about him but he really wasn't that good.
Me too. There were those first few weeks of the 11/12 season where I thought he looked quality. Then he got injured from a horrendous Kevin Davies tackle, and he never reached those same heights again.

Me too. There were those first few weeks of the 11/12 season where I thought he looked quality. Then he got injured from a horrendous Kevin Davies tackle, and he never reached those same heights again.
Same for me. Really thought he'd become quality player. Actually he was decent in 12/13 imo as well (nothing more than that though). We'll always have August 2011 I guess.

As the title suggests, which player did you always like but not really rate that highly?

For me, it would probably be Marcos Rojo. Decent defender, and had that really good spell at CB with Phil Jones, but overall well down the list in terms of actual quality and ability.

Nevertheless, loved him as a player. Reckless nature, never say die attitude, all-action, no fear and loved a wild left-footed piledriver from 35 yards.
Smudger

Berba is great shout.

If a player with the talent of Berbatov "wasn't that good", then 90% of every professional footballer that's ever played were downright cloggers.

My pick would be John O'Shea. Guy was built like a centre half but rarely played there for us. Instead he was often played in full back or sometimes even in midfield, despite moving around awkwardly with the ball at his feet. and consistently did his job well for us. Even managed a nutmeg on Luis Figo, just when he was breaking into the first team.

That, or Weghorst. Never looked like he fit in, but he tried very hard, which is the least you can ask for when a player gets the chance to play for United.

That Herrera is mentioned in a “not that good” thread is bizarre.

Not that good for United was Forlan. An incredibly likable footballer who had a few mint moments for us but it just didn’t come off enough often enough…for us.

The 2010 World Cup is one of the most perfect climaxes to a redemption arc in football history. From figure of fun to the best player in the world that month, and a hell of a career all told.

Kagawa.
Wanted so bad him to make it at United. Intelligent and hard working #10, what's there not to like.

Bailly and Rojo high on the list too.

Antonio Valencia- I thought he was a really good full back when LvG/Jose decided to play him there but sadly others did not. Absolutely fantastic workrate, great strength, great pace and could never fault his attitude. Better than quite a few of the other fullbacks we've had over the last 12 years.

Some of the names in this thread have no business being here. They were good players.

Does "he's not that good" mean "he's a bad/average player"?

I take it that he's considered good player, but not the top ones. At least, comparing to their teammates at that time.

One of those threads where people put in names, just because they haven't been mentioned yet, without really thinking if that player belongs in the category.

One of those threads where people put in names, just because they haven't been mentioned yet, without really thinking if that player belongs in the category.
Exactly what I did while dropping Nicky Butt.

Fred. Rojo. Bailey.

I also really liked Sergio Romero, but I wouldn’t say he wasn’t good. In terms of back-up keepers he’s one of the very best we’ve had.

One player I really wanted to do well was Giuseppe Rossi - it would just be so perfect to have a United-player with the same surname as my first footballing idol - Paolo Rossi. But it wasn't to be.

Just remembered I had a soft spot for Jesper Blomqvist as a kid. But I think it was just because he had a cool name and I saw him score and do some good dribbles against on the highlights of the game against IFK Gotherburg on my 94/95 season VHS, rather than him actually doing anything of note for us!

Ighalo. Boyhood Red, loved the club, loved playing for us, always smiling, living the dream.

Some of the names being dropped here are baffling to say the least.

Gary Neville? One of the bet right-backs in the history of the game "wasn't that good"?
Diego Atletico Uruguay? European Golden Shoe Forlan? FIFA World Cup Golden Ball Forlan?
Ji Sung Park, Berbatov, Butt, Brown, O'Shea?

Come on, you must be joking, right? Right?

I'd understand if you'd go for Rossi, Anderson, Macheda, etc. But those guys above should never be in the same sentence with "wasn't that good".

For me it's Martial. He has everything needed, bar the fitness. Sometimes your gifts don't match the physical attributes you need. Otherwise, at least for me, he was a cracking player.

Reactions: Jippy
Does "he's not that good" mean "he's a bad/average player"?

I take it that he's considered good player, but not the top ones. At least, comparing to their teammates at that time.
He's not that good generally is nice way of saying he's average/bad.

Saying that he’s “not that good” is disrespectful. He’s my favourite United player. He wasn’t world class, but he was definitely good.
I meant absolutely no disrespect, and I include him because I interpreted 'not that good' as been not 'really good' but it's a common pattern in some of the comments. He too was one of my favourite players and I had a 14 away white kit with his name on it that's still one of my favourite kits

I thought he was good, I didn’t really get why he didn’t play more.

Agree, and it never seemed like he could nail down a starting spot, despite almost always scoring and having a great goals per minutes ratio...the ironically being loaned to Real Madrid... and doing reasonably well. Also didn't understand why we sold him so willingly and for not much at all. Anyway bit of a trip down memory lane and perhaps even more of the perception of "not that good"??

I always had a soft spot for Alan Smith. He had that game vs Chelsea where he played as a defensive midfield and producing a Keane-esque performance. It was really sad when he had that horrendous leg break.

I really enjoyed Gibson's long shots. I like central midfielders with a heavy shot in general.

I really enjoyed Gibson's long shots. I like central midfielders with a heavy shot in general.

That's a good one that really fits the criteria. He had a great striking technique, but unfortunately not much else. Somehow he barely scored a goal after leaving Man Utd.

+1 Bailly who was fun to watch when he managed to get on the pitch.

Fred is a good shout too, but he was IMO pretty good anyway.

Going back a few years, I'd have to go with Forlan. Scored a few goals (eventually) but never looked better than a Div 2 player.

I really liked Herrera but I’d say he was alright, others say he wasn’t that good. He gave his all anyway and understood what it meant to play for United.

The 2010 World Cup is one of the most perfect climaxes to a redemption arc in football history. From figure of fun to the best player in the world that month, and a hell of a career all told.

Agreed. Diego was a near-colossus after he left Old Trafford. He actually wasn't poor for us, but the goals just didn't come for him in a red shirt.

Recent addition to the list would be Reguilon - totaly United fanboy who, sadly, wasn't very good.

Les Sealey and Danny Wallace who were I thought of instantly as soon as I saw the thread title, Sealey is very much an early Fergie cult hero and rightly so but Wallace was a really exciting to watch when on form for me as a young kid until he was displaced by Sharpe then Giggs burst on the scene too.

Chiarotto? The Italian imitation of Chicharito?

He's not that good generally is nice way of saying he's average/bad.

Oww thanks. That changes things. O'Shea and Smalling are definitely not average.

Players that were not exactly favorite, but I kinda like, were Bailly, Blomqvist, (United) Pereira, Brandon Williams, Pellistri, Elanga, and Welbeck.

Manucho, Lindegaard are up there but top has to be O'Shea thanks to the nutmeg and that filthy chip against Arsenal