Favourite United Player Who Wasn't That Good

Anderson. Seemed like a fun personality off the pitch.

New but I suppose Martial belongs here. What a let down. The optimism in me hopes he has a revival in france or wherever he goes.

I liked Sabitzer more than most last season, I think we'd have been a lot better this season if we had gone for him last summer.

Has to be Joe Jordan.
He was such an uncompromising, fearsome looking Cnut.
As a defender I would have dreaded playing against him but I loved to watch him striking fear into anyone in front of him.

Has to be Joe Jordan.
He was such an uncompromising, fearsome looking Cnut.
As a defender I would have dreaded playing against him but I loved to watch him striking fear into anyone in front of him.
Toothless Joe? Didn't we call him the Toothless Wonder or something like that?

I quite liked Bailly because of how rapid he was. Felt like he had all the raw materials needed to be one of the best around but it never came together.

Gibson is another player I liked even though he wasn’t good. I’ll always have a soft spot for a player who can smash one in like he could.

Rafael. Attacking exciting no defending right back. Only about 18 years old. I think he went to Crystal Palace and didn't make it there.

He had a brother, who played for us at the same time. They were South American.

I wonder how much of this post is incorrect.

Fellaini. Didn't like the fact that we signed, was never obviously good enough. Had a tough first season where he almost summed up the Moyes era.

But he actually went and proved himself to be a really useful player for us after that. Changed my mind about him. Starting XI or bench, he was a nuisance to deal with. In that run of games where we beat Spurs, Juanfield and City - fellaini might just have been the best player across all 3 games.

Rafael. Attacking exciting no defending right back. Only about 18 years old. I think he went to Crystal Palace and didn't make it there.

He had a brother, who played for us at the same time. They were South American.

I wonder how much of this post is incorrect.
Wtf is this shambles of a post? :lol:

Anderson for me. I remember being super hyped before he joined. He didn’t fulfil my expectations but was fun to watch. He also shat on Fabregas.

Quinton Fortune, he gave everything for the club.

Fred, he was used in completely the wrong position and still gave his all every time.

Starting to think some on the Caff wouldn’t recognise a good player in a month of Sundays. Some of the names on here are ridiculous.

but the thread is about players that were NOT very good ‍

Last edited:
Forlan is a good shout, real shame he couldn’t establish himself with us as he had the talent as he went on to show.

David May was average as feck, but was a massive fan and made his mark on the club during those treble celebrations.

Forlan or Anderson for me. Ah what could have been for the pie loving Brazilian.

Anderson, Bailly, and oddly enough Bebe

Bebe is a great example of trying to take your chance. Weird, to put it mildly, transfer, clearly wasn't good enough but when he played he gave it his all, not just working hard, , would have been easy for him to just keep it simple, knock the ball back to his full back, play safely, but he was actively trying to make things happen and impact the game.

That infamous Bebe crossing game, full on admire that he kept trying and wasn't afraid of embarrassing himself, wish I had more of that myself in my playing career(at a low level)

Fellaini - not bad, not great, great commitment, love a guy who everybody seems to hate
Javier Hernandez - only SAF could make a player with such little technical ability play a pretty impactful part of a title winning side. Absolutely loved the guy but he really didn't have anything in his locker apart from positioning/runs (he wasn't a lethal finisher either in terms of converting low percentage shots, perhaps above average at best).

Quinton Fortune, he gave everything for the club.

Fred, he was used in completely the wrong position and still gave his all every time.

I second Fortune. Also, I think Raimond Van Der Gouw deserves a shout. Federico Macheda, I have a soft corner for as well.

As for my pick, I would probably go with Berbatov or Forlan and I mean it in the sense of them not being very good for us, because they were both ridiculously gifted players and probably the best on their teams both before and after United.
Berba is great shout.
One player I never thought was actually very good but I liked him was Wes brown.

Loved Nicky butt too, he was my fave growing up, don't think he was brilliant, but gave it all
Wes brown for me . Always thought he was going to be the best centre half around .

Berbatov was a class player. Butt and Brown were really good also.

I always liked Quinton Fortune for his fiery combative nature.

Debatable if he qualifies into being "not that good" but it's Park for me.

Some people really haven't grasped what "not that good" means.

Bellion for me. Not a clue why, always wanted him to succeed, was never going to happen.

Bebe is a great example of trying to take your chance. Weird, to put it mildly, transfer, clearly wasn't good enough but when he played he gave it his all, not just working hard, , would have been easy for him to just keep it simple, knock the ball back to his full back, play safely, but he was actively trying to make things happen and impact the game.

That infamous Bebe crossing game, full on admire that he kept trying and wasn't afraid of embarrassing himself, wish I had more of that myself in my playing career(at a low level)
Yeah, that crossing game was the making of a legend. He was fun, a strange punt, and femarkably, he has managed to carve out a decent career.

Fabio - loved the twins, bur Fabio was never that good for and should supposedly have been the best of the two.

Fred. Great character and exciting at his best but ultimately far too erratic

Some of the people cited so far are quite "good" in my humble opinion, so I guess the level of "good" is somewhat of a personal determination. For me, it's Dan James...always exciting to watch and genuinely loved his hustle and enthusiasm...but he did f-all when it really came down to it.

I'd hoped that Nick Powell would be great for us

If half the caf doesn’t say Ander Herrera, they’re not being honest with themselves.
Nope. Letting Mark Noble carry him off the pitch like a little boy is my lasting memory of him. Pathetic. Should have punched him. Or picked him up and threw him. But he just took it like a bitch

Alan Smith for me. Loved the signing. Loved the player. Loved his attitude. Don’t care where he came from