Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
100%.

Thats the thing with getting rid of him. Its pure special effects when there is no successor available. I guess, modernizing our play was always going to backfire here and there, maybe it is good when ETH is the one getting the blame for it. Even though there is a good chance that we could have Potter or Poch at the sideline and we'd be challenged with similar issues. We missed 10 years of football evolution. That isn't going to be rectified simply by having one or two good transfer windows.

The manager and at this stage the vast majority of the current squad have only been at United for 2 years. How did this affect them?

Never been more relevant.

He was right and to think he got chastised for it. And now his replacement is hiding behind 2 lucky cup wins amongst the worst league form and performances I have seen in my lifetime.
They were not lucky wins

I swear Antony's fee increases a million every time a new graphic is made. Regardless, for me for a new manager after 3 years at a top club that's pretty much in line with others. Arteta, Pep, whoever is this week's manager at Chelsea will have simliarly valued squads.

We've gotten rid of over 30 players in that time.

That graphic isn't the problem. The performances are.

And the outfit.

Silly Journalist, doesn't he know?

When we win it's because of Erik's world class coaching and when we lose it's because of the players (individual errors, not following instructions, lack of concentration, focus, etc)

There's only so much Erik can do with a squad consisting of 18 players he's signed or promoted himself.

As basically every other clubs recent managerial changes have shown, it doesn't take eternity to get a semblance of an identity going one way or another.

Took Slot just 2 matches to get his side capable of thrashing us at Old Trafford
Emery took Aston Villa from relegation battle to Europe with only 1 transfer window.
I'm ready for a new start this season but it's clear that after 3 season, United still having issues breaking through press when opponents adjust or carelessness in buildup.
That's on the manager

I dont really get that. Is it really any worse than sticking with a failing manager and be mid table by December?

Everyone knows winning the FA cup bought him some more time, but if this season continues in the same fashion as last one then sacking him in October for example would be perfectly reasonable.

I get the impression Ratcliffe/Ineos didn't want to be seen sacking a popular manager who's just won the cup. They probably also don't want to be seen as knee jerk and sacking a manager 6 weeks into a season after extending his contract and signing another £200m of his players.

Let's be honest it would be embarrassing for them. They should have had the balls to just sack him after the Cup Final. In hindsight the day after the 4-0 loss to Palace they should have just annonced he was leaving after the final. They painted themselves into a PR corner as evidenced by the fact they made no announcement on ETH for about a month after the final.

Hopefully they learn from this going forward and pull the trigger on managers a bit more quickly in the future.

The problem we're in is having blown the golden opportunity to sack him in the summer, there's a bunch of new people in the club who have foolishly attached their wagon to him.

It's probably Ashworth's call now he's come in, but was he involved with the review that kept ten Hag, and if not, is he really going to make such a big call as to sack him when his bosses kept him?

The best time to sack him was in the summer, the second best time is today, but INEOS will almost certainly favour the slow drip damage to their credibility and reputation rather than ripping the plaster off and dealing with a couple of days of negative publicity and a chance of salvaging the season.

Never been more relevant.

He was right and to think he got chastised for it. And now his replacement is hiding behind 2 lucky cup wins amongst the worst league form and performances I have seen in my lifetime.
'Trophies are overrated' is also a hiding place, one which Solskjaer used to hide the fact he could not compete for either a league or cup title.

Supporters 're-evaluating' Solskjaer is archetypical.

Surely, his replacement struggling should signal certain facts about Solskjaer's own management, and how it left behind a trail of destruction.

Also, could you stop shitting on our achievements to suit your narrative? Everyone gets a bit of good and or bad luck from time to time. It's how luck works.

He's a charlatan, very good at talking his way out of a bad situation. Remember his "if they don't want me I'll go and win things elsewhere" speech? INEOS fell for his act hook, line and sinker. He should've been sacked after the cup final. Now here we are, 3 games in, already hopeing for the season to end.

His form from the end of last season should not be disregarded. He was lucky to be kept on with the FA cup win, but ultimately that doesn't mean he should get a free pass for atrocious form.

You'd like to think he was made aware of this when he was kept on, but the contract extension makes you think otherwise.

There's time to sound out the available candidates and be ready for the change by the next international break.

And instead of using irony to kick someone who's already on the ground, the press should ask for a meeting with Brailsford, Berrada and Ashworth and pose similar questions to them: What exactly did they expect would happen? Because, cup or no cup, last season's underlying metrics were speaking of a team that should be sitting just above the relegation places.

Surely there must be a contingency plan in place. And please don't tell me it includes giving the gig to another ex-player who has shown nothing to deserve it. INEOS are supposed to help us make up for the lost decade during which football moved on and left us far behind

Imagine being fine letting a complete failure continue to manage one of the biggest clubs in the world because you cannot think of a single alternative that would have any chance of being better.

Which appears to be where some people are at. It’s literally meant to be the easiest job in the world with virtually no expectations.

There's time to sound out the available candidates and be ready for the change by the next international break.

And instead of using irony to kick someone who's already on the ground, the press should ask for a meeting with Brailsford, Berrada and Ashworth and pose similar questions to them: What exactly did they expect would happen? Because, cup or no cup, last season's underlying metrics were speaking of a team that should be sitting just above the relegation places.

Surely there must be a contingency plan in place. And please don't tell me it includes giving the gig to another ex-player who has shown nothing to deserve it. INEOS are supposed to help us make up for the lost decade during which football moved on and left us far behind

It's pretty obvious that the plan is that he has x number of games to show he's capable of stringing enough form in the league for a top 4 finish, otherwise they sack him and Ruud takes over in the interim while they look for the long term manager.

Imagine being fine with letting a complete failure continue to manage one of the biggest clubs in the world because you cannot think of a single alternative that would have any chance of being better.

Which appears to be where some people are at.

To be fair, it's not just some people, INEOS think along the same lines judging by the summer. Interviewing people who some on here want to replace Ten Hag, and still here we sit with this fella in charge.

I kind of assumed he kept his job last season because the new regime was bedding in and not in a position to make big footballing decisions yet. Realistically no big club manager should survive a 4-0 loss to Palace. That was the point of no return. But he survived it, fluked past Coventry and managed our single good performance last season which somehow allowed him to keep his job.

I sort of get it. INEOS thought with backing and a proper structure that performance against City could be replicated across the entire season but we've actually managed to get worse. There's no point in giving him time because every man and his dog knows exactly how the season is going to pan out until his inevitable sacking.

They were not lucky wins

Really!?

Beat a Newcastle side in the league cup final who compleatly choked after getting a big leg up from a massive GK error.

Huge slices of luck against Liverpool in Q/F. They should of absolutely buried us in that game.

Coventry in the semis, huge slice of luck with the VAR offside call that could of gone either way, needed penalties to beat them.

City in the final huge slice of luck with the first goal, got a good second, defended for our lives rode our luck held on against a well below par (possibly somewhat drunk) city side. Who probably still should of beaten us.

And that before you get onto ETH's luck with cup draws. Easily the luckiest manager in cup competitions I can remember.

I wake up and this fecking fraud is still here! If this was Real, Barcelona, or Bayern, he'd have been hounded out of the club before dawn, although he wouldn't have made it so far in the first place. Yet he is still here. This is why this club will forever be behind the true elite of world football. Weakness and misplaced sentimentality.

He is so clearly nowhere near good enough. A B-tier manager at best. It won't get better with this guy, not now, or before Christmas, or in 5 years, because he is clueless. Solskjaer was a better coach, for Christ's sake! Keeping him even for a day longer is just totally pointless. An exercise in futility.

This season doesn't need to be written off yet. Just get rid of him now and go back for Tuchel. Or try for anyone else that's not Southgate.

For me the fact that we as a club now spend so much energy focussing on making the champions league and then when we got there we finished bottom of a pathetic group & yet this guy constantly tells us how he is a winner completely ignoring that group is so crazy.

So far in his time at United

- Finished 8th in the league, worst finish in 3 decades with a negative GD
- Bottom of a CL group with Copenhagen & Galatasaray
- Lost 7-0 to Liverpool
-Lost 4-0 to Brentford
-Lost 4-0 to Palace
- Lost 3-0 at home to Bournemouth

Not once has this guy come out and ever felt embarrassed or taken responsibility for any of these magnificent achievements and yet all he talks about is the two cups he won. I think not even mid table teams would accept a manager like him. We have no standards anymore

Really!?

Beat a Newcastle side in the league cup final who compleatly choked after getting a big leg up from a massive GK error.

Huge slices of luck against Liverpool in Q/F. They should of absolutely buried us in that game.

Coventry in the semis, huge slice of luck with the VAR offside call that could of gone either way, needed penalties to beat them.

City in the final huge slice of luck with the first goal, got a good second, defended for our lives rode our luck held on against a well below par (possibly somewhat drunk) city side. Who probably still should of beaten us.

And that before you get onto ETH's luck with cup draws. Easily the luckiest manager in cup competitions I can remember.

We were better than City in the final and Liverpool aside better than every team we played. Yes you get some lucky moments but the cup wins were not lucky.

I don’t understand how Newcastle chocking is lucky either, they chocked because we made them

His goose is cooked, I’m sure they will already be assessing his replacement

Slot seems like he knows his stuff. Is there anyone under the radar that we could get when eth is gone?Tuckel poch southgate don't do it for me.

The thing that makes me pause before criticising Ten Haag is I think he's better than any of Ferguson's other successors. Having finally appointed someone half decent I want to give them a good chance. I'm old enough to remember Ferguson's early years and there are some similarities, I'd argue. He also spent big on players who flopped and performances were flaky for a long time.

Last year's injuries in defence made it difficult to judge that season. Ten Haag needs a convincing challenge for top four this year, but I still wouldn't rule that out. If things haven't improved by the spring I would announce that he's going to be replaced and start negotiations with new manager for next season. But I see no point sacking him now.

The issue is that he s been here for around $) month already, he showed very little to no improvement in the gameplay, so even if we were around 6th to 8th but played good footy, heis job should be at risk, but doesnt even show that. Hes no fecking Arteta, he fluked some wins but overall we are absolutely awful in many historical statistics and it really sucks to watch us play.

And hes also bloating the squad with all of the not good enough dutch or dutch league players..
Antony aside which of the Dutch or Dutch league players are not good enough?

I am still running with it. I'd also suggest that the replacement you wanted, that you still stand by, demonstrates my point quite well - De Zerbi was all the rage, but his Brighton were so porous that we looked defensively secure in comparison, and from the start of the year to the end of the season were in relegation form.

Change isn't automatically better, your preferred replacement being an example of how it can get worse.

Plus can you imagine his brand of press-inducing football with Casemiro's carelessness? Talk about a recipe for disaster.

Look at what he did when he had more of his players available the season before, or at the start of last season. He struggled last season but this was an injury ravaged Brighton we're talking about. They don't have the depth of the bigger clubs. His front three was injured practically all season for a start.

I believe with the right coaching these players would look better. So it's not worth comparing to what we're seeing currently from these players. That's my whole point. But I think he might have targeted different players, or at least pushed for them. He took worse players and made them look good on the ball, I'm refusing to believe we've just accumulated a worse team than Brighton now.

I could be off about this but I thought the issue was that he had a contract dispute with Barca who didn't want to pay him off, not that he had no interest in playing for us?

Anyways, the club tried to sign him and didn't, whatever the reasons that's a failure. To then switch the profile of midfielder and sign Cas instead suggests a lack of direction which comes down on Murtoughs shoulders in my view.
It's true that casemiro is a completely different profile to de Jong but we all know ten hag has a veto on transfers so if he approved it he has to adapt his plans to suit the players profile. It happens to managers all the time. De Jongs form also hasn't been great at barca since then so not sure he would have been the answer

The following season when we needed to sign a partner for casemiro he prioritised Mount seemingly to play him in central midfield which was idiotic. Maybe it would have worked at ajax but not in the pl

His goose is cooked, I’m sure they will already be assessing his replacement

The embarrassing thing for INEOS is they already did that in the summer, and stuck with him. I can't imagine the choices are that different now, so what do you do? Phone someone you already rejected and say "on second thoughts, you've charmed me".

I hope Ineos are aware that if this season flails away early again, they will be the ones to blame because anybody with two eyes and a brain knows that Ten Hag is not cut out to manage at top level football. It has been clear for at least 18 months now. It was THEIR decision to keep him on and they will be to blame if we once again waste another season. Season is already halfway to being over three games in. Take the decision immediately and don't wait for 3/4/5 more losses to "confirm" what we've known for 18 flipping months. This is not being business savvy or level-headed. This is just being plain stupid.

I get the impression Ratcliffe/Ineos didn't want to be seen sacking a popular manager who's just won the cup. They probably also don't want to be seen as knee jerk and sacking a manager 6 weeks into a season after extending his contract and signing another £200m of his players.

Let's be honest it would be embarrassing for them. They should have had the balls to just sack him after the Cup Final. In hindsight the day after the 4-0 loss to Palace they should have just annonced he was leaving after the final. They painted themselves into a PR corner as evidenced by the fact they made no announcement on ETH for about a month after the final.

Hopefully they learn from this going forward and pull the trigger on managers a bit more quickly in the future.

Rodgers was sacked 8 games into the season despite having "full backing" by the owners and that turned out quite well for Liverpool in the end. Sacking ETH NOW would be knee jerk imo, but if results and performances dont improve drastically in the next month, i dont see it as some embarrasment by the owners if they sack him some time in October

Being given yet another window with yet another sizable budget means they have been more than lenient with him.

It wouldn't be embarrassing if they sacked Ten Hag today. It'd be ruthless and decisive. It'd show that they demand higher standards.

The only embarrassing thing right now is watching that bald deluded narcissist spew out utter drivel each week.

His face when the journalist reels off example after example of repeated mistakes when asked to cite them is priceless.

It’s probably how I look when I’m trying to be a smart arse with the wife and it backfires spectacularly.