Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
After five games? When you’re one of the ones that’s preached patience for Ten Hag in his third season?

Can you really not see how ridiculously knee jerk and hypocritical that is? Seems like you’ll do literally anything to deflect from Ten Hag, even if it means throwing a brand new coach under the bus. Shameful.
It's everyone else's fault except for Eth.

The only ones who haven't yet been used as scapegoat are probably the Tealady and the announcer.

If Garnacho's shot that hit the bar had been a couple inches lower, we'd have walked that game with Palace having to push up for a goal and made more space for our wingers.

Everyone in here would have been singing EtH's praises for this new run of form.

Fine margins.

When people make these “if” scenarios they seem to think they could only go United’s way or something.

And the run of “form” in question - LLWWD - with one of those W’s being against Barnsley in the league cup. “Singing his praises”. God

Erik is in tough place having failed to win against Crystal Palace. We are clearly improving, but we are losing too many points and time is running out for us to climb up the EPL table

Pragmatically, Erik needs to win against both Spurs and Villa if we want to make a real claim for top 4. Anything short of that puts us on trajectory for 5th or 6th by end of the season. And yes, I know it is early, but these early games do come calling by the end of the season

It will be very hard to win both of these games. We are progressing, without a doubt, but we are still very very early in our turnaround and both Villa and Spurs are more stable and consistent.

Probabilistically, 4 points out of 6 in these two games will be good performance, but I am afraid it won't be enough for us to get on top4 finish trajectory...

I don't think Erik will get sacked any time soon, if we keep playing well, even if we are losing points, but he will get sacked end of the season if we don't make Champions League and/or finish below 6th. That I am certain of

‘it’s only 5 games’ is the new benchmark it seems. Let’s forget this is the 3rd season of tumescent football and the huge outlay on his players, it’s still anyone but ETH’s fault.
If anyone thinks he’s still capable of getting us back in the top 4, let alone title challenge, then you don’t watch United.
I watch every game, and I genuinely believe he can get us top 4. He already achieved it in his first season, and now he has a squad with depth in every position, so there's no reason he can't do it again. I don’t think anyone seriously expected us to be title challengers this year. Our hope is that several of our young players will step up, which would allow us to be considered real contenders in the future.
Players like Amad, Garnacho, Højlund, Mainoo, and Zirkzee all have world-class potential, and we’re banking on them reaching that level.

Of course, he needs to show consistency and string some results together, but he's more than capable of securing top 4. I rate Chelsea, Tottenham, Newcastle, and Aston Villa at the same level as us. I don’t think any of them are significantly better than we are at this point.

When people make these “if” scenarios they seem to think they could only go United’s way or something.

And the run of “form” in question - LLWWD - with one of those W’s being against Barnsley in the league cup. “Singing his praises”. God
While I don't necessarily agree with people dealing with hypotheticals there's some people who use the same "if" scenarios to say how much worse it could have been. If Southampton didn't miss their penalty or if Onana didn't make his double save and so on.

Erik is in tough place having failed to win against Crystal Palace. We are clearly improving, but we are losing too many points and time is running out for us to climb up the EPL table

Pragmatically, Erik needs to win against both Spurs and Villa if we want to make a real claim for top 4. Anything short of that puts us on trajectory for 5th or 6th by end of the season. And yes, I know it is early, but these early games do come calling by the end of the season

It will be very hard to win both of these games. We are progressing, without a doubt, but we are still very very early in our turnaround and both Villa and Spurs are more stable and consistent.

Probabilistically, 4 points out of 6 in these two games will be good performance, but I am afraid it won't be enough for us to get on top4 finish trajectory...

I don't think Erik will get sacked any time soon, if we keep playing well, even if we are losing points, but he will get sacked end of the season if we don't make Champions League and/or finish below 6th. That I am certain of

Nah. No waiting till the end of the season. This is his 3rd season. He's been backed heavily. As soon as top 4 is out of reach, INEOS should fire him.
The absolute worst thing we can do this season is wait till the end to fire ETH. That means we are wasting another season. Because the next manager is going to need time to adjust and implement his philosophy so you are looking again at next season at possibly not making top 4.
Its better to fire him, have an interim for a few weeks. Bring in a manager to start implementing on his playing stytle for the rest of the season. And at least even if you don't make top 4, you start next season with a style and identity established.
ETH has to keep this team on track to top 4.He has to win atleast one of those Spurs or Villa games to stay on track because the other teams have started well. If he losses both, he should fired immediately. We need to stop treating him like a 1st year managers. Its year 3 and hundreds of millions spent

I've been an advocate for Hag out but I recognise one thing, in the last 3 games, regardless of the opponent, a style of play is becoming more evident, we are a bit better to watch and the players look like they care. It's not perfect by all means, but you have to recognise improvement. This is Hags last chance, we have to back him unless the wheels completely fall off. Top 4 is a must in my opinion, given how much he has spent and the control he has had over certain signings.

Nah. No waiting till the end of the season. This is his 3rd season. He's been backed heavily. As soon as top 4 is out of reach, INEOS should fire him.
The absolute worst thing we can do this season is wait till the end to fire ETH. That means we are wasting another season. Because the next manager is going to need time to adjust and implement his philosophy so you are looking again at next season at possibly not making top 4.
Its better to fire him, have an interim for a few weeks. Bring in a manager to start implementing on his playing stytle for the rest of the season. And at least even if you don't make top 4, you start next season with a style and identity established.
ETH has to keep this team on track to top 4.He has to win atleast one of those Spurs or Villa games to stay on track because the other teams have started well. If he losses both, he should fired immediately. We need to stop treating him like a 1st year managers. Its year 3 and hundreds of millions spent
If we truly have a best-in-class team supporting Erik ten Hag and a clear game model in place, then the next hire should be able to implement their philosophy seamlessly. Ideally, this new coach would already be familiar with the same system as the one ETH's using. Isn't that how we want to do things going forward? Hiring staff who share a unified vision, rather than bringing in someone with a completely different philosophy. That would only lead to the need for another huge outlay to sign players who fit that new manager's system.

If the manager is the sole issue and the squad and support staff are in good shape, the new hire shouldn't need much time to do what you've mentioned, much like Arne Slot or that Brighton guy did. With just a few minor tweaks, he should be able to improve us.

I am staggered Ineos ran a review process and decided keeping Eth was the best outcome. In the modern game long term trends are telling, he’s been poor so long he’s not going to turn it around like Fergie in the 80s/90s. We’ll keep lumbering along with odd win here and there but nothing will impress until the manager is replaced.
That's my opinion as well. I'm not too bothered about this season because I know it's basically an interim before the actual permanent manager is appointed because I think a lack of alternatives is the only think that kept EtH in charge last summer. He's effectively a caretaker now.

I've been an advocate for Hag out but I recognise one thing, in the last 3 games, regardless of the opponent, a style of play is becoming more evident, we are a bit better to watch and the players look like they care. It's not perfect by all means, but you have to recognise improvement.

I agree. Goal scoring aside, we have looked much better since Liverpool. Things are beginning to click. If we can get Hojlund or Zirkzee scoring and Ugarte in sync with Mainoo and Bruno, we have the makings of a very decent team with a little bit of strength in depth too. Things are looking up.

I am not sure if the club can afford another season without CL. Either top 4 or win the europa.

If we truly have a best-in-class team supporting Erik ten Hag and a clear game model in place, then the next hire should be able to implement their philosophy seamlessly. Ideally, this new coach would already be familiar with the same system as the one ETH's using. Isn't that how we want to do things going forward? Hiring staff who share a unified vision, rather than bringing in someone with a completely different philosophy. That would only lead to the need for another huge outlay to sign players who fit that new manager's system.

If the manager is the sole issue and the squad and support staff are in good shape, the new hire shouldn't need much time to do what you've mentioned, much like Arne Slot or that Brighton guy did. With just a few minor tweaks, he should be able to improve us.

No. Just because the management structure has a clear game model in place and hires a manager in line with that, does not mean the new manager will just be a carbon copy of Ten Hag with exactly the same system and implementation and coaching methods and shape and tactics. Not sure why you would think that to be honest.

At the coaching level there’s still a world of nuance and detail on all those things below any broad philosophy that exists at club level. If they intended for there to be absolutely zero deviation from Ten Hag’s exact system, it wouldn’t even make sense to get rid of Ten Hag.

Any new manager will still need to settle in and get to know the club and the staff and the players. And even under an umbrella philosophy, there will still be plenty of tactical tweaks and coaching differences the players will need to get used to, and that always takes time.

So if Ineos decide to move on from Ten Hag, it absolutely makes sense to get the new person in asap, so there’s more time for them to implement their own methods before the start of a fresh season. Far better that than just needlessly pissing a whole season up the wall on a manager they’ve decided is not good enough.

Everyone seems to be jumping on EtH again now and the sentiment swings are really extreme.

We played great in that first half and looked proper solid.

If Garnacho's shot that hit the bar had been a couple inches lower, we'd have walked that game with Palace having to push up for a goal and made more space for our wingers.

Everyone in here would have been singing EtH's praises for this new run of form.

Fine margins.

If Eze had finished a pretty easy chance, if Onana hadn't saved a penalty when we were being outplayed by one of the worst teams in the league, if Onana hadn't made one of the best double saves of the season. If Coventry hadn't of been a millimetre offside, if Ortega hadn't had decided to throw a goal in. If we hadn't fluked a last minute breakaway goal against Liverpool in the last minute of extra time. If we hadn't beat Brighton on penalties, if Rashford didn't deflect a shot against Newcastle's 3rd choice keeper.

The "ifs" go in Ten Hag's favour far more often than not. Top managers make those irrelevant for the most part.

No. Just because the management structure has a clear game model in place and hires a manager in line with that, does not mean the new manager will just be a carbon copy of Ten Hag with exactly the same system and implementation and coaching methods and shape and tactics. Not sure why you would think that to be honest.

At the coaching level there’s still a world of nuance and detail on all those things below any broad philosophy that exists at club level. If they intended for there to be absolutely zero deviation from Ten Hag’s exact system, it wouldn’t even make sense to get rid of Ten Hag.

Any new manager will still need to settle in and get to know the club and the staff and the players. And even under an umbrella philosophy, there will still be plenty of tactical tweaks and coaching differences the players will need to get used to, and that always takes time.

So if Ineos decide to move on from Ten Hag, it absolutely makes sense to get the new person in asap, so there’s more time for them to implement their own methods before the start of a fresh season. Far better that than just needlessly pissing a whole season up the wall on a manager they’ve decided is not good enough.
I’m not suggesting the new hire would be an exact carbon copy, but rather someone familiar with ETH's style and already implementing a similar approach. These are two very different things. Ideally, we want to bring in a manager who aligns with our current philosophy, minimizing the need for a squad overhaul and avoid wasting money like we did under LVG, José, and Ole, where we signed players specifically for their systems. Isn't that exactly the situation we’re trying to move away from?

People believe Slot was able to implement his system at Liverpool after just one pre-season, and the same goes for Maresca and the new Brighton manager. If the only issue is the current manager, any new hire should be able to get us performing within 1 month tops. My point is that I'm not sure why expectations for achieving top four next season would be in jeopardy even if ETH were to be sacked at the end of this season.

Based on goals scored, matches won and points gained, it’s hard to argue Ten Hag is doing well.

Which of those metrics are ultimately more important in football?
Longterm, the performance. More points will come if we keep creating those chances.