Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
The "I am not Harry Potter" comment is so stupid. He might as well have said "the task is too big for me to believe myself that I am able to solve it".

He didn't want Ugarte so I doubt you can expect to see him in the lineup anytime soon.
At first no but after seeing more of him he wanted him.
Also now with Casemiro playing so bad I really don't think it will take long before we get to see Ugarte

The "I am not Harry Potter" comment is so stupid. He might as well have said "the task is too big for me to believe myself that I am able to solve it".

Did you read the context or just go off a headline? He’s talking about a player who hasn’t had pre season getting up to speed on fitness.

Bro got jokes after finishing 8th with a negative goal difference

'Trophies are overrated' is also a hiding place, one which Solskjaer used to hide the fact he could not compete for either a league or cup title.

Supporters 're-evaluating' Solskjaer is archetypical.

Surely, his replacement struggling should signal certain facts about Solskjaer's own management, and how it left behind a trail of destruction.

Also, could you stop shitting on our achievements to suit your narrative? Everyone gets a bit of good and or bad luck from time to time. It's how luck works.
What is finishing 2nd in the league and getting to the EL final if it’s not challenging?

I’m not convinced that sacking EtH after only 3 games of the new season, when the Board have financially backed him strongly is the right answer, especially as there are not that many top Managers available at present.

I would like to see Ruben Amorim in the EPL, a strong manager with an attractive 3-4-3 style of football. I did think he was going to Anfield earlier in the year and not sure what happened.

Be careful what you wish for - you could always take Rooney off our hands!!
This is the difference, the board are not backing a manager, they are identifying what needs to happen with the squad and making changes as evidenced by the McT/Ugarte sagas

It is not sacking ETH after 3 games, it is sacking him after over a season of poor performances, the cup win saved his job and bought him another chance, but there is no change, little improvement

I would love to see us make a change now before the internationals, but I don't think it will happen, I do however think that he has probably 3 games at most to turn it around

I've been firmly EtH in, but I just can't do it anymore. He's sacked himself for me, you can't keep making the same mistakes for 18 months. He's an idiot.

His midfield donut tactics are and have been very shaky for two seasons now, with a number of teams being able to exploit clearcut weaknesses. He cannot motivate his players to be more than or at least equal to the sum of their parts. Rivals walk onto the pitch having already won the game in their heads, and he isn't capable of reversing it.

We should have sacked him after the final, and we should sack him tomorrow. EtH, like Sancho, is mentally shot at this club, he can never take us back to the top. Our players will continue to be reduced to their shortcomings game after game, and we will continue to fail in the league as long as he is in charge.

He's done, sack him now.

I really hope all those that wanted ETH to stay are happy now!

The reality is there's enough people in and around football who have little confidence in their own understanding of the game.

These people simply can't differentiate between not understanding an idea because it's complex, or not understanding an idea because it's been poorly explained and very few are brave enough to stick their head above the parapet.

Ten Hag is a perfect emperor's new clothes storm. He uses modern football terminology, he has bad enough English to make you think that perhaps without a language barrier he could explain himself, and he has a completely undeserved confidence that does leave you wondering if you're missing something.

Thankfully the penny seems to have dropped now and I think we've seen he last of fans painfully arguing that it's a good thing to give up 20+ shots a game, but not before he pulled the wool over INEOS's eyes too.

It staggered me last year how many would jump to his defence. I'd understand it if it looked like some kind of identity or style that might work was developing and taking time to develop but (and accepting that I am far from an expert in football tactics) that's not the case as far as I can see, because it's can't be the intention to play so openly as to allow teams to dominate the midfield.

Two full seasons in, the players (most of whom he's asked for or approved) either don't understand what he's asking them to do; can't do it; or, the whole system is so flawed that it'll never work in the PL.

The oddest part of all of this for me is that as a "cup team" in one of games, we actually look alright, but the whole thing is so chaotic it'll never work over a full season.

We can't defend, can't control the midfield and are toothless in attack. How is he still in a job?

He is his own worst enemy with his suicidal tactics. But his recruitment has been absolutely shocking.

Casemiro- I don’t often agree with spitty Carragher, but he made a good point . He spent all summer chasing De Jong and then signed Casemiro a player with a totally different profile to De Jong. Absolute madness . Great career but is looking lost in this system. He is past his prime. But he does need young legs around him. Real have Valverde, Camavinga etc to help Kroos, Modric and him when he was there. Another example of this club signing a big name with no clue how to use him.

Antony- Just an absolute waste of space. Terrible attitude, cant beat a man. He is that sunday league player who wears white socks over his football socks pink boots but goes missing on a game day. Can probably do a thousand step overs but has zero end product.

Hojlund- massive money on a guy who had only scored 9 goals in Serie A. He is raw. Guy has pace and good work ethic. I am still hopeful on him . But badly needs to work on his composure and finishing under Rudd.

Mount- Injury prone , Chelsea have pulled our pants down. The new Van De Beek

Malacia- Not good enough

Martinez- Good signing well done Eric on that one

Onana- Possibly the worst Keeper seen in my lifetime. Terrible positioning, slow getting down low, doesn’t command his box. Overrated distribution.

Eriksen- Free Transfer did a job first season. I like him always have

Zirkzee, De Ligt, Mazaroui, Ugarte and Yoro - too early cant judge .
How’s Ant-man gonna help?

Yes because the manager is supposed to magically get a player to match sharpness and familiar enough with the tactics for them to start in 2 weeks of international football while the player isn't there.

The reality is there's enough people in and around football who have little confidence in their own understanding of the game.

These people simply can't differentiate between not understanding an idea because it's complex, or not understanding an idea because it's been poorly explained and very few are brave enough to stick their head above the parapet.

Ten Hag is a perfect emperor's new clothes storm. He uses modern football terminology, he has bad enough English to make you think that perhaps without a language barrier he could explain himself, and he has a completely undeserved confidence that does leave you wondering if you're missing something.

Thankfully the penny seems to have dropped now and I think we've seen he last of fans painfully arguing that it's a good thing to give up 20+ shots a game, but not before he pulled the wool over INEOS's eyes too.

Summed it up perfectly!

What is finishing 2nd in the league and getting to the EL final if it’s not challenging?
Honestly I just don’t know a single good manager who doesn’t think that league is what matters in the end. I am sure even ETH believes that but of course he will never say it. Just to add to the second place in the league btw we had a +29 goal difference that season, would die for a positive goal difference now.

We'll most likely go the Jose/Ole route here and wait until things are rock bottom before sacking him. I'm desperately hoping that INEOS will be more proactive.

Look at what he did when he had more of his players available the season before, or at the start of last season. He struggled last season but this was an injury ravaged Brighton we're talking about. They don't have the depth of the bigger clubs. His front three was injured practically all season for a start.

I believe with the right coaching these players would look better. So it's not worth comparing to what we're seeing currently from these players. That's my whole point. But I think he might have targeted different players, or at least pushed for them. He took worse players and made them look good on the ball, I'm refusing to believe we've just accumulated a worse team than Brighton now.

His success was built on Potter's defence, which he made much more vulnerable, and his style of play couldn't cope with Europe. And we haven't touched on whether anyone in the dressing room would pay any attention to him.

That journalist was not disrespectful. His questions were completely valid and what we’re all discussing on here. Ten Hag came across arrogant and ignorant.

Yes because the manager is supposed to magically get a player to match sharpness and familiar enough with the tactics for them to start in 2 weeks of international football while the player isn't there.
What tactics?

Honestly I just don’t know a single good manager who doesn’t think that league is what matters in the end. I am sure even ETH believes that but of course he will never say it. Just to add to the second place in the league btw we had a +29 goal difference that season, would die for a positive goal difference now.
And we gave a few teams a hammering that year. It felt like proper United again.
We are currently far from that. Fingers crossed it looks different with shaw, Hojlund and Ugarte in the team

Slept on it and still adamant on wanting him out ASAP. I don’t think we’ll look stupid for it as it’s pretty clear to everyone who spends 5 minutes looking into it we don’t trust him. We hardly gave him a fanfare when we won the FA Cup nor did we when we activated his one additional year on his original contract.

He’s basically a glorified interim for INEOS as they decide what to do. They sold McTominay against his wishes and brought in Ugarte who they had to convince him to have.

The amount of time he’s been given is pretty generous in modern football terms so I’m gobsmacked Neville is saying he needs even more time.

What would be cowardice is completely changing your gameplan because of the risk of individual errors.

Players have bad games, when they do it's likely you'll lose unless you outclassed the opposition elsewhere.

The difference between the sides wasn't the structures, it was the quality of the individuals within the team particularly in attack, the familiarity with the structure and the physicality.

The journalist is smelling blood because of the result and the club should feck him off.
Gameplan hasn't worked for well over a season, not changing it is abject stupidity

I would argue that we had at least as good quality of players as Liverpool on the pitch yesterday

Slot has had less time to work with his squad so how does the familiarity with the structure factor in ETHs favour?

Just watched his interview. That's a worrying level of delusion. He seems to have no actual clue what's happening in these matches at all. In his head he can't see what the problems are, so there are no problems. Just some of the players don't do well enough for him. No chance it's his coaching or tactics not working.

Don't try to tell me he doesn't believe this and actually knows what is going on. Surely he would be changing things then. He keeps Rashford on all match and that alone shows me that he's absolutely clueless. We're in serious trouble this season because our owners didn't do what they needed to do in the summer.

Ten Hag will make us a laughing stock again, and by the time poor Ruud has to take over as interim the new players confidence will be shot too.

Gameplan hasn't worked for well over a season, not changing it is abject stupidity

I would argue that we had at least as good quality of players as Liverpool on the pitch yesterday

Slot has had less time to work with his squad so how does the familiarity with the structure factor in ETHs favour?

1) so we should give up trying to play proactive football because our players aren't getting it yet?

2) Liverpool have better players, particularly in attack and have been playing this football for much longer and more successfully

3) Slot himself has admitted he's not changed much. He might rate different players differently than Klopp a bit but otherwise he's a continuity manager

Can’t stand him, I hate saying it but he makes my blood boil! Cannot wait for him to be gone, I have been in this mindset since the closing weeks of his first season.

Now is the perfect time to sack him. International break and after a mauling to Liverpool.

Before the season started I said he'd be gone before Christmas and now's the time to do it.

Out him out of his misery before we right of yet another season.

If we got a new manager his quickly do people think he'd have us playing an actual, logical, style of football?

I reckon 2/3 games you'd see a pretty apparent improvement.

Definitely because it really doesn't take anything complicated or difficult to make a team solid.

Keep seeing that we need a "modern, progressive" manager.

I don't know what that means, I don't think the people saying it know what it means. They'd likely blurt out "press" or something.

What we need is someone who just acknowledges the basics of the game. Tje same basics that have been around forever.

If you get the basics right and get to spend a load of money as well, producing a decent team shouldn't be difficult.

We need to change our approach. Its clear we don't have the quality in attack and actually the likes of rashford, bruno, garnacho are better playing counter attacking. So we need to go defensive, set up like we did in the cup final. At the very least it will make us difficult to beat. Lets build that foundation first then go from there and look to bring in better attacking players next season.

But it wont happen with ETH. He's either too stubborn or arrogant (or both) to do this. Dare I say it, but someone like Simeone would be perfect for this team right now.

1) so we should give up trying to play proactive football because our players aren't getting it yet?

2) Liverpool have better players, particularly in attack and have been playing this football for much longer and more successfully

3) Slot himself has admitted he's not changed much. He might rate different players differently than Klopp a bit but otherwise he's a continuity manager
How many seasons should he get, only had 2 so it is pretty early doors

as for the rest I disagree but whatever

Just watched his interview. That's a worrying level of delusion. He seems to have no actual clue what's happening in these matches at all. In his head he can't see what the problems are, so there are no problems. Just some of the players don't do well enough for him. No chance it's his coaching or tactics not working.

Don't try to tell me he doesn't believe this and actually knows what is going on. Surely he would be changing things then. He keeps Rashford on all match and that alone shows me that he's absolutely clueless. We're in serious trouble this season because our owners didn't do what they needed to do in the summer.

Ten Hag will make us a laughing stock again, and by the time poor Ruud has to take over as interim the new players confidence will be shot too.
He did this last season also, gaslighting everyone anytime he is challenged about his tactics, brings up the cup wins like they mean something when you've finished 8th in the league as United manager.

Last year he said we created more attacking chances than any other team and were in control of matches. We were ceding 20+ shots a game and getting hammered. Then he struts around the pitch challenging journo's and pundits when they say our midfield is non existent. It's the actions of an absolute mad man.

You think we play proactive football? That's cute.

I read the transcript of that interview yesterday and it infuriated me. More of the same arrogant, delusional BS that he's been spouting for months.

Hopefully the likes of Wilcox and co will get him in a room and ask him to substantiate his arguments with evidence. If they side with him then we're in deep shit. The man is a clown and has hit the jackpot from one good day at the office.

Obv I want us to improve, create a proactive, progressive, assertive style of play, excite the fans, score goals, and win games. If ETH starts doing that then let's take it one game at a time. If he doesn't, then he has to go. Can't stand him.

His last chance should be the period following the international break. Ugarte will be available and Højlund back. It's as close to a full team he is likely to get. If we don't start seeing convincing performances, it should be game over.

I could sort of understand keeping him, because of the lack of alternatives and because he did have a ridiculous injury situation last year, but now it's over. We are almost at a point, where there is no real downside to trying something new - even an interim manager for the remainder of the season should be considered.

It most definitely is "change for the sake of change" if you can't articulate a reason beyond "might do better".

You can absolutely have some idea if a replacement will be good, by looking at previous experience and achievements. There are managers out there who I think would be an improvement, but none that I know of that are available.

No, it’s just a nonsense cliche. The only reason managers are ever replaced is because the club thinks someone else will do better. And the most common reason a club reaches that point is because their current manager failing.

So no, I don’t have to articulate a reason beyond “might do better”, because I’m not the one making that decision, the club is. And if they decide to replace Ten Hag with someone new you can only assume they have done their due diligence in picking someone they think will do better. And even they don’t have to articulate reasons they think someone else will do better, although you might get a press release with some vague platitudes about the new guy.

Yes 100%

Screenshot-20240902-095122.png