Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
I honestly believe the squad isn’t this bad.

RVN would make this side a top four challenger, I think any manager who does the basics right would.

ETH is so far gone he’s forgotten basic coaching.
He thinks he’s some kind of revolutionary genius who can get by without it.

I'm bummed about where we are too, but what odds Marseille offered more money than United? I mean, if we wanted him and he wanted us, there's no world where we couldn't blow their offer away. We're the goat at overpaying.
Because we're in an age of wage austerity at United. He was asking for daft wages apparently.

Couple more defeats in the next 5 games and he'll be staring down a very big barrel.
I was ready for him to go at the end of the season when it looked like he would be sacked,I can't say I've changed my mind.

Give it time, it's only a few hours since the defeat. If things happen by the usual modus operandi they'll start creeping up by Wednesday and by Friday would have taken full control with a long list of excuses and name calling anyone wants him sacked.

Regarding your first paragraph, that would be true now too. People may not go apoplectic because of the sacking, however any new manager will be under more scrutiny and would be chastised if they don't hit the ground running. It's not harsh to say that they bottled the decision at the end of the season by getting swayed by the cup win.

Anyway, we always like to send away managers with a huge payout and set them for life. It's par for the course.
Yeah, agreed.

Southamption (a)
Barnsley (Carbao cup)
Palace (a)
Twente (Europa)
Spurs

Those are the remaining fixtures this month. The first two would give him a lifeline, Palace (a) and Spurs would be seen as tough fixtures and draws would be seen as acceptable, we should win against Twente at home too.

Then October sees us play:

Porto (a) (Europa)
Villa (a)
Brentford
Fener (a) (Europa)
West Ham (a)

All tough fixtures.

I hate this transition stuff. It's not exciting, it's just wasteful and reckless. Every team looks more in control than us, wouldn't be surprised if Southampton have more possession.

I'm sure the new regime thought about what they would do if things do go south, I'll back him till he's here. Won't shed a tear if he leaves.

Honestly yesterday's game was weird. We started well, got in really good positions to score, then 2 Case errors and Onana's positioning for the 3rd goal. They had 3 shots and 3 goals.
Very optimistic interpretation. They had also had a goal disallowed for a very tight offside and had either won the ball from pressing high or passed through our midfield with ease multiple times.

We'd had a bit of possession but created nothing.

Southamption (a)
Barnsley (Carbao cup)
Palace (a)
Twente (Europa)
Spurs

Those are the remaining fixtures this month. The first two would give him a lifeline, Palace (a) and Spurs would be seen as tough fixtures and draws would be seen as acceptable, we should win against Twente at home too.

Then October sees us play:

Porto (a) (Europa)
Villa (a)
Brentford
Fener (a) (Europa)
West Ham (a)

All tough fixtures.
Honestly he should be winning most of them. I can accept a draw but the backing he's had and players available for selection tells me he needs to start showing consistency and conviction through deserved wins. If he doesn't there's something wrong and we've changed a lot of the players.

2 domestic cups and he's talking like he's won it all. feck off. The way he sets up the team is pitiful and clearly easily exploitable. It's not a sustainable way to long term success.

This is the way he wants us to play. It's been that way for a long time now. It's not working but he still insists on it. The only way to stop us from playing this way is to get rid of him.

For the first time ever, I vote sack.
I think that post matcher flipped it all for me. I’m sorry too Erik, but if you think winning 2 Cup trophies in 2 years means we’re second to only Man City from a squad quality / tactical setup up view…man just get out. That’s delusion.

That actually annoyed me.

Think it's couple of factors: we beat City in the final after they won another title; played quite good and tactically smart; and Iirc had few players back (Varane, Martinez) so the narrative was - This is what we can do when our top players aren't injured. It was more the case of wishful thinking than objective analysis. Don't think INEOS were buying that and that's why it took them so long to make a decision but in the end went with safe option - give him 1 year extension and give him another preseason after the trophy. I don't think it's huge damage done if they sack him soon and potentially save the season.
I agree with this, that's also how I see this. He got really lucky and Ineos thought that there is a slight chance to turn this around, so he was given this slight chance in another season.
The rationale is there, I am just surprised people change opinions after 1/3 games back and forth.

I just start to wonder if we won trophies despite him. Would he have just been a typical dutch manager flop if he'd gone to a lesser side with worse players, would he have stunk up the PL at say a Palace or a Wolves and be already gone by now?

It's a gross and horrible feeling listening to the sense Slot spoke after the game. I can't stand the thought that they might have got it right again.

Already down to 87%. After the international break it’ll be at 70%. A scruffy win against Southampton and it’ll be back to 50%.

IF he survives through the international break, which he only may because managers are rarely sacked after 3 games, next 6 fixtures are all the kind that he should win, but majority of them we can easily lose if we play like we did today.

Those 6 league fixtures
1. Southampton (A)
2. Crystal Palace (A)
3. Spurs (H)
4. Aston Villa (A)
5. Brentford (H)
6. West Ham (A)

I think, if he drops more than 3 points out of the 18 possible in these games, he is not making it

Unfortunately, I do think he will fail that test, even with Ugarte, because as big of a problem as Casemiro was, he was far from the only problem today
Game 1. Win
Game 2. Lose
Game 3. Lose. Apparently Spurs played well and Newcastle got lucky yesterday.
Game 4. A big loss.
Game 5. Win
Game 6. Should get a draw, but I’m not confident.
So I think if Hag is still in charge for these matches a grand total of 6 maybe 7 if they manage a draw at West Ham.
So that will be 10 points from 9 games.
The good news is I’m awful at predicting results and it’s a damn good job I don’t bet.

Last edited:
I just start to wonder if we won trophies despite him. Would he have just been a typical dutch manager flop if he'd gone to a lesser side with worse players, would he have stunk up the PL at say a Palace or a Wolves and be already gone by now?

It's a gross and horrible feeling listening to the sense Slot spoke after the game. I can't stand the thought that they might have got it right again.
Trophies question: I remember the Carabao final being very close. Newcastle had the slightly higher xG and our goals were a bit jammy. He coached a really good FA cup final vs City last year, though. One of the few ties I think he’s actually done well in.

The Palace/Wolves question: 100%. He’d have been a slightly better Frank de Boer.

Did anyone see Onana for the third goal? How embarrassing. What does ETH see in him? He's an absolutely useless shot stopper. Mainoo needs to buck up too. Casemiro is finished. Rashford is useless. Dark times.

Did anyone see Onana for the third goal? How embarrassing. What does ETH see in him? He's an absolutely useless shot stopper. Mainoo needs to buck up too. Casemiro is finished. Rashford is useless. Dark times.

Mainoo doesn't need to buck up. He was a one man midfield, he's very young, and he made a mistake, it'll happen. The fact we're relying on him so much already is honestly a piss take.

It was a big, call taking off Casemiro at half time and while it was the right one his gamble didn’t pay off and icame across as quite desperate.

I can see it cause a rift in the dressing room (especially going off Bruno’s post match comments)

It’s all well and good hauling off someone having such a terrible game but Casemiro is clearly a big influence in that dressing room and we need to be able to rely on him this season.
Well we couldn’t rely on Casemiro for 45 minutes yesterday let alone a season. And if he’s a big influence then he shouldn’t be at Utd because the way we play is total dog toffee.

I swear Antony's fee increases a million every time a new graphic is made. Regardless, for me for a new manager after 3 years at a top club that's pretty much in line with others. Arteta, Pep, whoever is this week's manager at Chelsea will have simliarly valued squads.

We've gotten rid of over 30 players in that time.

That graphic isn't the problem. The performances are.

Right. I've had a night's sleep boys. Calmed down, feel rested, had time to think.

feck this guy off. Please.

How can you judge any manager before he's had the chance to spend £1bn? Mason Mount wasn't playing.
Just 1 bn. You are being so harsh here. Don't you know that under the No Standards guidelines governing managerial dismissals at our club, he is eligible to spend 1.5 bn on his old mates before he can be scrutinized.

We lost 14 games last season before Christmas. I think he’s gone if we get to half that this time round.
That is honestly far too patient. We've already written off an entire season with this guy in charge. He should go if we lose any of the next 4 league games. We have to start behaving like a serious football club, how many of the past 5 or 6 seasons have we written off due to terrible managers?

The only black mark against INEOS so far is they didn’t have the courage of their convictions when they were going to sack him prior to the Cup win.

The only direction we’re going under him is sliding downwards. He really couldn’t find his arse with both hands. A shocker of a manager.

What I don’t understand is how we remain unable to control the midfield, as I believe that is the key in everything. Able to supply attackers, not getting ripped open defensively every 5 mins by a counterattack, etc.

If I’m right, Man Utd and Pool had a similar setup yesterday, both playing 4-2-3-1. How can it be that we look so exposed in midfield and them having control if we have the same strategy and same number of midfielders in similar areas?
Does it just mean McAllister and Gravenberch apparently are so much better than Mainoo and Case? (And I know Case was terrible yesterday but does that explain everything, also for other games)
Or is Bruno - despite his attacking value - just not bringing enough to the midfield, where Soboslai does?

And is Ten Hag really thinking the whole midfield situation is solved just by replacing Case with Ugarte? I guess we’ll see soon enough, but personally I don’t believe so.
I just can’t get my head around it.