Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Guys, please stop suggesting Ruud to take over. We are three games into the season, don't have three games left for the season to be over. If we do replace Erik it has to be with someone with a better pedigree and experience.

Anyway, I don't think he is going to be replaced yet as INEOS have put a lot of trust in him by getting the targets he wanted and extending his contract for another season. Pulling the trigger so early, although prudent, would be seen as knee-jerk and a bit of a joke on their part after they didn't let him go in the summer. We have to suffer through more of Erik yet. He is not going anywhere for a while. This is another year of transition, this time INEOS'.

It wouldn't be knee-jerk at all. Keeping him on after the season we endured was knee-jerk. Sacking him now before the season flushes down the toilet would be seen as a sensible thing to do, and admitting to their obviously grave mistake, as many on here pointed out.

ETH should have got the sack before eh FA cup but the win blinded almost all the fans here. Now the true colours are out, he needs to go asap and thus we can save our season. It would be diabolical if we wait till Christmas and feck up another season. INEOS need to show ball and do what is inevitable. Enough is enough!

It wouldn't be knee-jerk at all. Keeping him on after the season we endured was knee-jerk. Sacking him now before the season flushes down the toilet would be seen as a sensible thing to do, and admitting to their obviously grave mistake, as many on here pointed out.
It would be less damaging for Ineos to admit they were wrong and remove him now, than to wait till january or next summer and potentially finish somewhere around eighth again. I dont see why a new season means the manager gets a clean slate, he's proved that he's not up to the job.

It wouldn't be knee-jerk from our perspective as we know this fraud isn't taking us anywhere. However, it would from theirs after they decided to keep him and extended his contract for another season with all the evidence at hand. It would be a grave mistake, but I am not sure they would be too keen to admit it at this stage.

Anyway, let's see. I feel the international break is a great opportunity to let a failing manager go and get someone new in. Don't think it'll happen, though.

Btw, "we beat big opponents" is such a pathetic line. As if we are some relegation fodder. This is worse than when Moyes admitted that we need to "aspire to be like City".

Two mickey mouse cups or not, no one can convince me that he isn't the worst appointment since Sir Alex retired. The worst is that he has filled the squad with expensive mediocre players from Ajax or the Dutch league. It would take a while to clean all the shit that he has dumped on us.

For me.... my mind was made up on Ten Haag during the FA cup semi Vs Coventry. His game management chucked a 3 goal lead in the bin and whilst at 3-3, he pushed Maguire forward to grab a late winner, only for Coventry to score. Var came to his rescue that day and disallowed the goal and although we reached the final, it actually felt like a defeat.
At this point he is literally sucking all the fun out of football for me and i sat here watching the game yesterday wondering..... Is he actually telling our midfielders to leave a huge gaping hole in the middle of the pitch? Theres no way in a million years that he cannot see the huge gap. Our formation is like a polo mint.
At this point, I feel he has to go. He has proven himself to be quite terrible.

2 domestic cups and he's talking like he's won it all. feck off. The way he sets up the team is pitiful and clearly easily exploitable. It's not a sustainable way to long term success.

This is the way he wants us to play. It's been that way for a long time now. It's not working but he still insists on it. The only way to stop us from playing this way is to get rid of him.

For the first time ever, I vote sack.

Usually a back the manager man but a lot of squad has been turned over already. Changing the manager might be the most impactful thing that can be to done at this point. Let's see how he gets on with the new guy. Hopefully Shaw, rasmus, and Mount get back soon.

Do you even read the post before replying?

I did, I just asked you to expand on "get a good caretaker in", as by itself it's a pub level statement.

Last time we got a good caretaker in was with Rangnick, a man who undoubtedly had the football nous, but his authority only lasted for 45 minutes before the players just stopped doing what he wanted.

It doesn't automatically make things better.

The club pays individuals quite a lot of money to identify these types of things. Many Liverpool fans barely knew who Arne Slot was when he was announced. Yet here they are.

It was clearly still Klopp's Liverpool team that beat us on Sunday.

You're right that the club will probably have a list of available replacements, but we haven't gone for any of them yet. Do you disagree with that decision?

He's had 3 preseasons and at this point in the season, this is when the motivation should be at its highest. It's a fresh start for many, and the hope is there.

But for anyone that was already wanting him sacked, this was all so obvious. Things rarely just get that much better with more time. Even his first season came with a big caveat in that the type of football he had United with was not sustainable, relative to what is successful across Europe. Yeah, it would be good enough for a top 4 finish without getting close to challenging for the league, but that's it. Hence why many felt he had to prove it in his 2nd season that his United must play better in the 2nd season, regardless of results. But even by October, it was obvious it was going nowhere. Most managers don't need that long to implement an attractive brand of football as we've seen this season and last season. And even the average fan could see that his set up was suicidal after match 1.

This is all so obvious, and it's so dumb that we're even having to discuss this as a fanbase.

I'll give him 5 more games. See how the team looks with Ugarte. Last season were all about injuries and we looked better this year. The team needs to gel with the new players and staff.
Casemiro play in the center and the most important position, playing like that will hurt any team. Two big mistakes that lost the game.
Lose the midfield battle and we lose the game.
If Ugarte can save this or we atleast start playing football and moving forward I can see some future for ETH but also he needs to grow a pair and make logical decisions.
It's amazing how Rashford can play so bad for years and still start every game with Amad on the bench.

The signing of Mount is so weird, Zirkzee is a big question mark so far if he fits us and also good enough.
Onana also, very week showstopper and positions.

So five more games, let them get some more fitness and trainingsessions together, get Ugarte in and get Hojlund back.
Win some games and hope we click. Maybe getting some legs in midfield will be a very big change after seen grandpa Casemiro trying to keep up.
Also Mainoo get a little more freedom and higher up the pitch to create.

I'm not sure at all though, wishful thinking he'll succeed maybe but it's been a whole backroom change and new players coming in. Feels stupid to give it up already three games in with so many changes.
He's not safe at all though and the comments about winning trophy's and being second best after city is just weird. We finished 8!

Christ, are you still running with this nonsense? You have a manager who has delivered very little by the way of performances, results or growth, yet has spent the GDP of a small country for the privilege. He's proven to be exactly what you want to avoid. Surely trying something new is actually the more logical way forward? If not now then very soon, if results and performances continue as they have the last 18 months.

I am still running with it. I'd also suggest that the replacement you wanted, that you still stand by, demonstrates my point quite well - De Zerbi was all the rage, but his Brighton were so porous that we looked defensively secure in comparison, and from the start of the year to the end of the season were in relegation form.

Change isn't automatically better, your preferred replacement being an example of how it can get worse.

Plus can you imagine his brand of press-inducing football with Casemiro's carelessness? Talk about a recipe for disaster.

Big changes happening with the squad, lots of players have excited. Perfect time to get rid of this manager, fresh start with new players and also a new manager

It would be a serious embarrassment for Ratcliffe and Ineos to sack him at any time before November/December. So they'll probably ride it out until then no matter how bad it might get.

I dont really get that. Is it really any worse than sticking with a failing manager and be mid table by December?

Everyone knows winning the FA cup bought him some more time, but if this season continues in the same fashion as last one then sacking him in October for example would be perfectly reasonable.

I'm sure the new regime thought about what they would do if things do go south, I'll back him till he's here. Won't shed a tear if he leaves.

Honestly yesterday's game was weird. We started well, got in really good positions to score, then 2 Case errors and Onana's positioning for the 3rd goal. They had 3 shots and 3 goals.

However, they looked really comfortable and could've easily scored more, while our shoulders completely dropped after going 2 down.

Liverpool are still a pretty solid team, although Slot has done really well to instill his identities without tinkering too much.

I'd give ETH till Nov/Dec at least, we already have a caretaker sitting on the bench if needed.

Big changes happening with the squad, lots of players have excited. Perfect time to get rid of this manager, fresh start with new players and also a new manager

Not sure. We've ended up with far too many of "his" players. I think we are gonna be in a worse situation than when he took over with regards to the state of the squad.

He is doing exactly the same thing which annoyed me with Solskjaer; you can't call for time in your third season after being backed 100% on transfer market. You can't.

In third season, team's style, patterns of play and result must be there. Instead, he is pretending like he must do miracles do do so.
In other clubs, especially smaller ones, manager comes and gets one or maybe two players. He works with what he gets. Only we go with some crazy 5 year plan.

On the fence. I was on the McKenna train this summer, but the other options did not appeal to me at all. I do wonder if changing managers during the season will make this malaise rub off on them too.

If we have another shite season then of course, we'll need a change. I think a new manager would be better served coming in next summer when hopefully the hierarchy gets busy with near enough completing the clear out.

Where is the poll at at the moment?
Are you aware of the financial and reputational cost of waiting to find out how the season pans out? Didn't we see how last season went, how he failed to get things right in the league, how he never outperforms any decent manager? We can't wait for too long when the situation is easily repairable.

The squad issues we have aren't terminal, we can and must do better than we currently are. Some of the players letting us down constantly are always playing with no consequence and we wonder how standards are slipping?

If we got a new manager his quickly do people think he'd have us playing an actual, logical, style of football?

I reckon 2/3 games you'd see a pretty apparent improvement.
As basically every other clubs recent managerial changes have shown, it doesn't take eternity to get a semblance of an identity going one way or another.

Took Slot just 2 matches to get his side capable of thrashing us at Old Trafford

Yeah I think giving him 17 games of a third season is enough to see if he can turn the ship around. Idk why it has to be so black or white, there's always room for nuance.

But you said ETH was being treated like it’s his first season so what has happened before isn’t relevant.

17 games of this season is enough just like 3 is enough, nothing is likely to change in another dozen games or so just like it hasn’t over the last dozen.

On paper it reads that way because of the familiarity of the signings, but i thought this was the whole point of having a "general manager", so when he's replaced its a seamless transition for the new manager. He's already lost 2 games, we looked shite last year, preseason we looked shite and we look shite now. All im saying is give it to Ruud. It's not like he hasn't got any top flight managerial experience, and he's well respected. It honestly can't be any worse then what we're seeing.

Yeah I'd like to see Ruud be given a shot, but I think it's just too obvious that was the plan from the summer then though, and if that's the case then why bother keeping Ten Hag at all.

I thought the point of the new structure was to be able to swap managers seamlessly as well, but the signings scream that they were bought to suit Ten Hag rather than building a squad anyone could take over.

I don't see anyway of progress with Ten Hag in charge. We've been lacking a defensive presence ever since he came in, Slot has been at Liverpool 2 minutes, got basically no signings and yet, he has managed to change Gravenberchs position into a DM and not be wide open to every counter attack. We've tried Casemiro, McTominay, Mainoo, Amrabat and now we're about to put Ugarte there and it's almost certain we'll see no difference.

I think it's silly to sack him after 3 games because he was backed in the summer by the new regime, there's a new coaching set up and new signings that haven't even played yet. I'm trying to approach it as if EtH has just been hired over the summer. Every manager deserves more than 3 games to show their worth but not forever obviously. I think Christmas time is the clichéd sacking point because it gives the new manager coming in enough time to turn things around plus a transfer window.

If managers got a clean slate every new season, with the only requirement they brought in new players and staff then no one would be sacked ever.

ETH survived last season by the skin of his teeth and i think most fans needed to see fundamental improvements across the board to be convinced by him. Getting embarrassed at home by fecking Liverpool isnt what we needed.

Its not even about the results. This version of United is the most anemic, pedestrian shite ive ever had the displeasure of watching. And this season is no different

The worst part for me though is his comments about "being 2nd to City in trophies". Like what the feck kind of nonsense is that. Either hes arrogant and deluded beyond comprehension or hes having some sort of mental breakdown

It's time to move on, we need a manager that would come in and make us very difficult to beat, then implement a possession based style football with fast wingers who posses loads of tricks that can create or score when the ball gets into the final third, then a striker that loves scoring goals.

Swap Rashford for Williams
Get a ball playing 10 in that's takes care of the ball

He is getting more and more delusional, and I worry for him as I really wanted to see him do well.

I rather have a season like Arsenal with zero trophies (unless it UEFA cup) or CL but at least a pathway to success.

Early signs are not good and by end of the year, he will be gone if we are sitting around 6th and rightfully so.

My favourite part of the game when we were already 3-0 down and Bruno attacked really high, chasing keeper on his own for some reason who then passed it to their midfielder who had entire midfield on his own because it was couple of them against Collyer, and then attacked us wide and it was again Collyer who tried to close their wide players in wide position helping Dalot while Bruno and Rashford were around 60m away from all of them.

Absolutely amazing and breathtaking tactics that we play from game to game, it's two midfielders against entire opposition team and three years later no one in our manager board can't see the problem with it.

If we got a new manager his quickly do people think he'd have us playing an actual, logical, style of football?

I reckon 2/3 games you'd see a pretty apparent improvement.

We wouldn't continue playing gung ho high risk football that's for sure.

It's going to be a horrible season. The writing is on the wall already just like it was at the start of last season. It's sunk cost fallacy to keep him, something I'm sure they will see at INEOS. I think he will be sacked this month.

I reckon he'll be sacked by December. This will be his final season for sure.

Is it the way he’s setting up or can the players just not adapt to his way? You see Guardiola playing high FBs or FBs that come into midfield. The new Brighton manager plays high FBs also. Most teams that play entertaining football play with an high line. I don’t get it. Maybe they’re just better at setting up a midfield and making their team pass a lot better. Passing should be a simple job in football. We make it look difficult.

Like I said in the summer, the only reason INEOS didnt sack him, was because of fan pressure. They knew if they sacked him, half the fanbase would turn against them, even moreso if their new manager pick didnt perform straightaway. It was a risky decision, but the one they needed to take.

Now what they are doing, is waiting for ETH to cock it up. They have changed nearly all the personnel around him, to what they would like. So when ETH fails, and the fanbase turns on him, they will swoop in and replace him with minimum fuss, and the fan's backing. Look at the CAF now, nobody would shed a tear if ETH leaves. Wasnt the case in the summer after the FA cup win.

It was so so obvious from the very beginning.

I'll give him 5 more games. See how the team looks with Ugarte. Last season were all about injuries and we looked better this year. The team needs to gel with the new players and staff.
Casemiro play in the center and the most important position, playing like that will hurt any team. Two big mistakes that lost the game.
Lose the midfield battle and we lose the game.
If Ugarte can save this or we atleast start playing football and moving forward I can see some future for ETH but also he needs to grow a pair and make logical decisions.
It's amazing how Rashford can play so bad for years and still start every game with Amad on the bench.

The signing of Mount is so weird, Zirkzee is a big question mark so far if he fits us and also good enough.
Onana also, very week showstopper and positions.

So five more games, let them get some more fitness and trainingsessions together, get Ugarte in and get Hojlund back.
Win some games and hope we click. Maybe getting some legs in midfield will be a very big change after seen grandpa Casemiro trying to keep up.
Also Mainoo get a little more freedom and higher up the pitch to create.

I'm not sure at all though, wishful thinking he'll succeed maybe but it's been a whole backroom change and new players coming in. Feels stupid to give it up already three games in with so many changes.
He's not safe at all though and the comments about winning trophy's and being second best after city is just weird. We finished 8!
He didn't want Ugarte so I doubt you can expect to see him in the lineup anytime soon.

Like I said in the summer, the only reason INEOS didnt sack him, was because of fan pressure. They knew if they sacked him, half the fanbase would turn against them, even moreso if their new manager pick didnt perform straightaway. It was a risky decision, but the one they needed to take.

Now what they are doing, is waiting for ETH to cock it up. They have changed nearly all the personnel around him, to what they would like. So when ETH fails, and the fanbase turns on him, they will swoop in and replace him with minimum fuss, and the fan's backing. Look at the CAF now, nobody would shed a tear if ETH leaves. Wasnt the case in the summer after the FA cup win.

They tried to sack him. They literally did a tour of Europe and spoke to the likes of De Zerbi and Tuchel. They even agreed that De Zerbi was the man to take over but Marseille made him a bigger offer so he took that and rejected ours. Then for some reason they felt there was nothing better out there and offered Ten Hag another contract.

Give it time, it's only a few hours since the defeat. If things happen by the usual modus operandi they'll start creeping up by Wednesday and by Friday would have taken full control with a long list of excuses and name calling anyone wants him sacked.

Regarding your first paragraph, that would be true now too. People may not go apoplectic because of the sacking, however any new manager will be under more scrutiny and would be chastised if they don't hit the ground running. It's not harsh to say that they bottled the decision at the end of the season by getting swayed by the cup win.

Anyway, we always like to send away managers with a huge payout and set them for life. It's par for the course.

Interesting, so its not the coaching but the players? From Todays lineup, only Dalot, Rashford and Bruno were players he either didn't buy or promote (Mainoo). The bench had only Maguire that he wasnt involved in bringing in.

So whos fault is it that we don't have a squad good enough for top 6?
Don't get me wrong, I want him sacked yesterday.

They tried to sack him. They literally did a tour of Europe and spoke to the likes of De Zerbi and Tuchel. They even agreed that De Zerbi was the man to take over but Marseille made him a bigger offer so he took that and rejected ours. Then for some reason they felt there was nothing better out there and offered Ten Hag another contract.
I'm bummed about where we are too, but what odds Marseille offered more money than United? I mean, if we wanted him and he wanted us, there's no world where we couldn't blow their offer away. We're the goat at overpaying.