Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
New season, 3 games deserved to lose 2 and barely edged a win in the other, other than being more compact and reducing the shots conceded down below 20 + a match, we show no sign of improvement.

I see posters saying don't sack ETH because who is available who is better? I honestly do not think anyone could be worse, big Sam would be an improvement, my local pub team manager understands tactics better, I don't understand the stubborn love in for ETH.

We should be better with this group of players, ETH has spawned 2 trophies, and otherwise has been terrible, get rid before the break and give a new man an extra week to settle

three.jpg

Stop asking who's the replacement. Grab any random guy off the street and he will do the same job.

Ok I know it was a bad result and the sight of Ten Hag irritates me but it's not a throw your toys out and sack the manager on GW3 type performance for me. Voted to keep for now. The individual errors that lead to the goals, not much needs to be said.

Build up: They generally looked reasonably competent. Mostly played it short and worked it up to the half way line without shitting the bed and kicking it long. They of course got it wrong twice leading to two goals (one Mainoo and one Casemiro error).

Pressing: Mediocre to bad. They got into quite a few dangerous situations where they had attackers running at our defence quite easily. The Mainoo error early-on leading to the TAA goal (which was ruled out for offside) was a let-off. We also forced them to go long a reasonable amount of time.

Attack: Mostly bad through poor individual quality. Zirkzee and Garnacho were rubbish. Rashford slightly better than rubbish but still pretty crap. Bruno did Bruno things. Amad was lively and should've done more with his runs.

Overall: deserved loss but a more even game than the scoreline suggests.
:rolleyes:

It’s not knee-jerk though. It’s a consistent run of poor performances for more than a season. You don’t get a reset every time a new season begins.

Ineos should have sacked him at the end of the season. They flinched and now we are here again. 3 games in, similar issues all over. At this point we are all just waiting for the inevitable. Sometimes it’s better to just rip off the bandaid.

Yeah end of last season was the time to do it and I really wanted Tuchel. Now it's just too knee-jerk for me. We wanted to give him a chance under the new structure. Let Yoro, De Ligt, Ugarte, Zirkzee etc. come up to full fitness. INEOS are stingy bastards, I doubt they'll sack him and pay him like 20m GBP just after triggering the +1.

I re-watched the match without the emotions and I still stick to my initial assessment.

Build up was mostly alright to good (5/10).

Press was effective for about 10 minutes and Liverpool figured out how to play around it. We have no answers once it's figured out and don't do anything particularly different (3/10).

Attack was a bit disjointed and should've started with Amad RW. (3/10).

This shouldn't be a fresh start though, and there is nothing to analyse anymore, we know what ETH is. I'd agree with you if this was a new manager of course, and we suffered this result. However as I said we've been suffering these kind of performances under ETH since he won the league cup. One Embarrassment after the other.
I'm just saying they(Berrada, Ashworth and co) might view it that way. This is a fresh start(of sorts) under them as they changed everything around ETH and it's only 3 games. Anymore than 1 loss before the next international break and they'll pull the trigger I think.

You don’t think they are better than us? They finished 2nd years twice in a row and will definitely be involved in the title flight this year as well. Thats progress. Thats what we hoped it would be under ETH. But we are somehow regressing every year. If by some miracle we finish the season with him convinced we won’t be in the top half of the table.

You said which big team loses like us and ended their league in 8th? Arsenal finished 8th twice. So not sure why you included them.

For me the best thing is they weren't the ones to choose ten Hag so won't have problem to get rid (like when Tuchel got sacked at Chelsea).
Yup. Ratcliffe has made a strong emphasis on securing best in class with the appointments of Berrada, Ashworth, and Wilcox. With two of them having experience at City—where they are familiar with the highest standards—and the third being very highly regarded, it’s reasonable to expect that they will not hesitate to part ways with ETH if they believe progress is lacking.

Desperate comment from a man who knows he'll be gone soon. Self-preservation mode activated.
Yep. Next he ll start pandering to the fans. He ll say we deserve better and we have been so patient and so supportive of him and the players. And he ll applaud them even more on his walk to the dugout.

I have to mute his interviews now because can't listen to any more rubbish. I really hope he doesn't punish Ugarte for McTominay being sold either when it's not his fault.

Like Athletic article said a few weeks back he would have been sacked after Palace but for that FA Cup win over City without a doubt

I have to mute his interviews now because can't listen to any more rubbish. I really hope he doesn't punish Ugarte for McTominay being sold either when it's not his fault.
Executives won’t allow him. He can’t play the fitness card cause the physios and doctors will say he is ready when he is. If he does it on purpose it’s even more reason to get him the feck out quicker.

It's also predictable, pathetic and embarrassing for him to be already positioning Ugarte's fitness as some kind of deflection tool as well.

The guy has just played every minute in the Copa. Had a normal pre season with PSG. Hasn't played in a competitive match but otherwise I bet he's fitter than anyone in our squad, under ETH's backwards pre season regime.

But no, he's not Harry Potter, so it'll be months. Just like it'll be years before he stops gaslighting the fans and journos that we have no right to expect to even challenge for top four.
Ugarte did not have a normal preseason. He missed most of it because he had a holiday after the Copa and rightly so

He is right, I think some of our fans are okay with it,check the polls after we won the FA Cup.

Chelsea sacked De mateo after winning them CL.
Didn’t Leicester sack Raneiri the year after he won the league? Hell even we sacked LVG after he won the FA Cup.

I understand that Ineos held onto him for the new season even if I disagree. The footy is mostly nothing worth watching.

The morale is low and we are miles from building any kind of momentum. I'm not expecting (cringeworthy) Kloppesque style motivation or fistpumping but EtH comes across as the least able to change that. My impression is, he is not an outgoing kind of person, he lacks charisma, and his lukewarm style just won't be able to ignite a fire. The motivation and drive and fight will exclusively need to come from within the team while he is our manager. I don't think he's cut out for winning at all costs and that will continue to hold us back even if we start to click. He will never be able to get us to the very top. I would rather have Ole back than hold onto EtH. He would definitely be returning to a better setup.

Yes, it's always a great idea to get rid of your best player.

I never said it always is a great idea. I said in this case it would be. If Bruno is “your best player” then you will not compete with the Dippers, Arsenal, and City. There's plenty of other problems, but that doesn't mean he isn't one, turning the ball over all the time, having shots from 30 yards out, unwilling to play it simple.

He does lots of great stuff, but those bad points are some of the worst habits you can have at the top level - as you should see from his performances in most big games and league positions.

We have a fantastic squad so worst case a new manager comes in. Time will tell, we could dominate games maybe with a player or two more. Let's see what happens

Yup. Ratcliffe has made a strong emphasis on securing best in class with the appointments of Berrada, Ashworth, and Wilcox. With two of them having experience at City—where they are familiar with the highest standards—and the third being very highly regarded, it’s reasonable to expect that they will not hesitate to part ways with ETH if they believe progress is lacking.

They are extremely stingy. Sacking him now after triggering the +1 means we have to pay 2 years worth of wages (~20m). They won't do it unless a clear candidate emerges or the situation becomes completely untenable. They didn't think Tuchel was the guy during the summer so I'd be surprised if they went for him now.

I understand that Ineos held onto him for the new season even if I disagree. The footy is mostly nothing worth watching.

The morale is low and we are miles from building any kind of momentum. I'm not expecting (cringeworthy) Kloppesque style motivation or fistpumping but EtH comes across as the least able to change that. My impression is, he is not an outgoing kind of person, he lacks charisma, and his lukewarm style just won't be able to ignite a fire. The motivation and drive and fight will exclusively need to come from within the team while he is our manager. I don't think he's cut out for winning at all costs and that will continue to hold us back even if we start to click. He will never be able to get us to the very top. I would rather have Ole back than hold onto EtH. He would definitely be returning to a better setup.

Yeah I agree with this. Even if the obvious tactical issues are fixed, he lacks the necessary personality to be a United manager. He'll get sacked eventually.

They are extremely stingy. Sacking him now after triggering the +1 means we have to pay 2 years worth of wages (~20m). They won't do it unless a clear candidate emerges or the situation becomes completely untenable. They didn't think Tuchel was the guy during the summer so I'd be surprised if they went for him now.

Yeah I agree with this. Even if the obvious tactical issues are fixed, he lacks the necessary personality to be a United manager. He'll get sacked eventually.
He probably does lack personality which is why RvN is on the coaching team. EtH is uninspiring but tactically he should be making up for it.

4-0 at Brentford
6-3 at City
7-0 at Liverpool
3-0 vs City at OT
3-0 vs Newcastle in Carabao at OT
3-0 vs Bournemouth at OT
Finishing 4th in CL group behind Copenhagen and Galatasaray
4-0 at Palace
3-0 vs Liverpool at OT

That's just 8 really bad results and a CL group campaign mentioned but there were so many other appaling performances last season. And many of our wins were either 1-0 or 2-1.

He got 3 preseasons. As many as Mourinho and more than Ole (no preseason in 2020 due to Covid) and van Gaal. Either results and performances improve after the break or INEOS are hopefully smart enough to sack him at some point during September/October.
INEOS have done some decent business this summer but keeping ETH and to a lesser degree not already having replaced Casemiro have been their mistakes so far. The manager is a pretty big one to drop the ball on of course but I’ll chalk that off to them wanting stability for the first year while they settle in as it’s not based on sound footballing logic.

ETH did last season what we’ve seen happen before - a manager get a result whether league position or a cup win - that ensures the manager gets another year despite his sub par efforts in general.

We desperately need a proper coach to come instil the right values into this team. This whole counter pressing chaos is simply not working - we aren’t good going forwards, we leaving gaping holes at the back and all our pressing does nothing but leave us gassed and frustrated. It’s a complete tactical and managerial mess.

That interview post game with Slot. Dissected EtH in a second. :lol:

We push FB's so high, then Casemiro drops back between the CB's and the three Liverpool forwards just stay high and make it 3-on-3 every single time.

It's just so bad hearing Hank give everyone the blueprint to beat United this season.
Sky knew what they were doing

It's just so bad hearing Hank give everyone the blueprint to beat United this season.
It’s not a really a secret is it? Teams are doing just fine against us given we have only scored 16 points in the last 15 games dating back to February.

I voted back only for now, but if we lose a single game until we meet Arsenal in Dec then he has to, I would have been ok if he was let go after the fa cup final win but I thought that he has been kept, let's see how he starts the season, and the last 3 games the team performance is horrible and that's on him, he has no excuses and last season excuses didn't fly with me as well, injuries happen but 2 things must always "be the case" regardless of who's available:

1 - style of play and tactics
2- performance levels

The team was absolutely appalling in those 2 areas last season and that didn't change yet.

Today Slot came across as very dull, non-motivational, uninspiring, but at the moment he's doing OK. I do wonder what they will say down the road if they start to slip.

On the other hand if the coach talks sense at training, is consistent in his message and insists on players listening to him, they don't all have to have the touchline histrionics that seem so popular today.

Sir Alf didn't even stand up when Geoff Hurst scored the final goal.

We desperately need a proper coach to come instil the right values into this team. This whole counter pressing chaos is simply not working - we aren’t good going forwards, we leaving gaping holes at the back and all our pressing does nothing but leave us gassed and frustrated. It’s a complete tactical and managerial mess.
We win big trophies. Yes. You see we win. Yes. We beat big teams. Yes. In big competitions. Yes.
I feel sorry for you.

We win big trophies. Yes. You see we win. Yes. We beat big teams. Yes. In big competitions. Yes.
I feel sorry for you.
TWO big trophies at that. If we allow him, he’ll be bleating on about these two cup wins in 2030 as well.

I don't think that’s the case. If they were being stingy, they wouldn’t have supported him so heavily in the transfer market. It seems to me that they felt there were too many issues last season to solely blame ETH and sack him, so they chose to keep him. Now, having given him ample support to a point where they replaced majority of the coaching staff and also revamping the medical staff, any further failures will be squarely on him. Of course, the players should also bear some responsibility for me, but ETH no longer has any excuses. He gets the team firing or he's out.

Today Slot came across as very dull, non-motivational, uninspiring, but at the moment he's doing OK. I do wonder what they will say down the road if they start to slip.
Agree, but Slot is starting from a position of strength and a fully motivated team. It's way easier to keep a bouncing ball bouncing than to start bouncing a static ball from the floor. EtH has managed to floor us making everything more difficult now.

I think Slot will struggle once teams start to beat them more frequently. I think their descent will start before the end of the year. Klopp was getting way more out of that team than the quality of the individual players. He was the difference between Liverpool challenging and fighting for a top four spot. Slot will not be able to compensate that loss.

Guys, please stop suggesting Ruud to take over. We are three games into the season, don't have three games left for the season to be over. If we do replace Erik it has to be with someone with a better pedigree and experience.

Anyway, I don't think he is going to be replaced yet as INEOS have put a lot of trust in him by getting the targets he wanted and extending his contract for another season. Pulling the trigger so early, although prudent, would be seen as knee-jerk and a bit of a joke on their part after they didn't let him go in the summer. We have to suffer through more of Erik yet. He is not going anywhere for a while. This is another year of transition, this time INEOS'.

Guys, please stop suggesting Ruud to take over. We are three games into the season, don't have three games left for the season to be over. If we do replace Erik it has to be with someone with a better pedigree and experience.

Anyway, I don't think he is going to be replaced yet as INEOS have put a lot of trust in him by getting the targets he wanted and extending his contract for another season. Pulling the trigger so early, although prudent, would be seen as knee-jerk and a bit of a joke on their part after they didn't let him go in the summer. We have to suffer through more of Erik yet. He is not going anywhere for a while. This is another year of transition, this time INEOS'.
That’s the least insane comment all day , Mr Insanity.

Regarding RVN taking over, people forget he’s also there everyday. Is his input working?

It’s INEOS transition. Bad bad start to the season but maybe what they have done this transfer window, what they’ll do the next transfer window and what is being done behind the scenes will transform the club going forward for years to come. I’m willing to have it worse before it gets better. Ten Hag is making some bad decisions but apart from the results, it’s not as awful as it may appear.