Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Agreed. Football is a low scoring sport so you can always argue that "if that shot had gone in" the result would be better. I've checked and apparently it normally takes 3 shots on target for a goal. Most teams miss chances.
I can’t believe people are raving about Henderson in the last game, he did easy regulation saves 2-3 times and it’s made out like he played like Casillas or something. We created very very few chances in that match.

If we got ourselves and EPL scorer, we wouldn't be struggling so badly. Expecting Hoijund or Zirkzee to come good is questionable. Hoijund is here for a season, he has yet to convince me that he is a starting striker for any EPL teams, let alone United. Zirkzee hasn't been clinical as well. It is likely season where we are the lowest scorers in the league. What the plan now? Buy another striker in the summer transfer window. Let's pray the Arsenal kid comes good.
Brighton are scoring freely with Welbeck leading the line. Its no excuse to create so few chances.

Towards the end of the game, when we needed a goal, our players were still playing the ball sideways and backwards. No one had the ability and desire to do something out of the ordinary. These modern day Manchester United footballers all play rote by-the-book football. I sometimes wonder why I watch United play. The football is tumescent, the results depressing.

SAF couldn’t crack it at the beginning here too but the club trusted the great man, there’s nothing to suggest ETH can’t follow the same path, too many are overrating and missing the bigger picture.

Fantastic post! :lol:

He will get sacked, 100%. You can not be making such dumb mistakes at this level. You are playing Rashford against Barnsley home, only to rest him v Palace away? Your probably most in form player.

You leave your worst performer on the pitch for two 90 minute games in a row, while the subs you bring have no impact on the game, even worse, they break the play and we play worse. I thought he had learned by now that Bruno does not work as RW. We got 3 clean sheets in a row, but Palace created many clear cut chances to score. Southampton missed a penalty.

People are seeing progress because we've created many big chances, and we don't concede as many shots on target per game. But after 2 full seasons with him, we should be expecting much more than marginal improvements. Hansi Flick managed to turn Barcelona around in less than 7 games. We haven't been able to "figure it out" after 2 years. We can't beat the likes of Twente, Palace etc.

Our pivotal player seems to be Eriksen, who doesn't have the legs for 90 minutes, week in, week out. He can not be making so many beginner mistakes at this level with rotation, substitutions, first eleven.

The excuses have run out. This is it.

Reactions: Fortitude
We need to be far more direct at times. For the next 10-15 minutes hug the wings and put in crosses. We just knock the ball sideways time and time again

Time after time we go in at halftime and come back out and get dominated, it’s like whatever ETH says in the dressing room is counterproductive. It also shows that the opposition managers are nearly always tactically better than ETH as they work out how to play us in second halves and he never really has an answer to counteract, he just seems to throw on a load of subs (the wrong ones) and hope for the best.

This is so true. Thats why i didn't buy the 60 minutes BS against palace, because had we scored in the first half, there is very good chance that Palace changed tactics and pulls one back. It has happened way too many times under Ten hag.

I feel that with these players he should do better. I saw that he thought we were complacent today. It’s his job to get them up for these games. Some players will be complacent if you let them.

Copenhagen gave us hell for that 1-0 at OT as well :lol: :wenger:

Quite sure they outshot us
It all started with that cursed game vs. Sevilla. Not only we let a big lead slip, also lost Martinez to a long-term injury (and Varane too? cant remember) in the game. It was 2-2 by the way, not 3-3. All downhill from there.

Of course he throws players under the bus saying they didnt give 100%. It’s your fecking job to extract the maximum effort. If you captain the least effort player and refuse to bench him this is what happens.
Is that what he said?

This is his 3rd season.

There's some progress, but as of now, we're still in terms of performance, not just points, behind City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Villa, and Chelsea. This team doesn't finish above any of them. We're not making it into the CL unless something drastically changes. We're generally boring and very poor going forward during his entire reign at the club.

I really really wanted him to succeed, I don't think he will.

There's some minor progress in performances from the disaster that was last season, but is there any real progress on the pitch from when he joined? Our squad is better and younger, but it should be after throwing that many hundreds of millions at it. And yet on the pitch I still don't see any substantive progress from 2022 to to now, in our general play or in our results.

The best manager make a team more than the sum of its parts. He does the opposite.

If SAF was the master of game management Ten Hag must be the extreme opposite of that. His original plan when it was on song was pretty enjoyable to watch but when opposition team made one or few changes he could hardly adapt. Hes Dutch's Arsene Wenger and just like Wenger's Arsenal we should be prepared for some big embarrasment losses.

That should have been all Ineos looked at when it was decision time.
There is a reason why INEOS extended his contract by only 1 year. That itself is a massive signal. They are giving themselves time and space to make a considered decision to hire/poach the best available manager before possibly firing.

Owen Hargreaves overheard the conversation between ETH and Garnacho before he came on.

Apparently Garnacho told ETH he wanted to attack them to secure the win, but ETH told him "No. Defend, defend, defend."

:lol:
mourinhosmile.jpg

Here’s the issue

ETH - keeping him in charge is the same as doing the same thing continually and expecting a different result. Nothing will seem to change if the person responsible for performance doesn’t change, simple analogy but a correct assumption of where we are. That team of individuals should not work to a draw with an inferior club, no need to continue down the same path, make the decision now and get some benefit.

There is a reason why INEOS extended his contract by only 1 year. That itself is a massive signal. They are giving themselves time and space to make a considered decision to hire/poach the best available manager before possibly firing.
Agreed. Business wise it makes a lot of sense so I don't fault them for the decision they made. Just sucks it comes with a seemingly even longer wait til things improve on the pitch.

It’s the same shit over and over again. Since SAF left it’s been the case with every manager, we create very few chances and many people end up obsessing over those misses, claiming if we had better players or our forwards were more clinical, we’d do better. City and Liverpool miss so many chances every game it’s unreal.
Absolutely. Barring the odd collapse season like last season, Ole’s last year etc where teams starting taking us to the cleaners, our biggest issue, by far, has been the quality of our general / possession play and more specifically, the inefficiency and inadequacy particularly with which we move the ball about in congested central areas. We are fine in low pressure wide areas but once the ball comes inside we crumble and panic. Of course to be fair having better attackers would lead to more chances too but aside from recruitment my biggest drive has been how we don’t value the ball, and are so incredibly loose and erratic with it. Heart on sleeve over composure and precision.

Yesterday was a great example actually. The intent was there but the way we went about it was so poor. Everyone looking desperately for the furthest man, whacking every pass as if that makes scoring goals more likely - it was just a silly way to go about trying to dominate games and emblematic of our football this past decade. We supposedly want to dominate but also decide to skip the difficult parts (midfield control and dominating the ball) to get to the end goal asap

SAF couldn’t crack it at the beginning here too but the club trusted the great man, there’s nothing to suggest ETH can’t follow the same path, too many are overrating and missing the bigger picture.
Spot on. You’ve watched the games, analysed the tactics, the team, the transfers, the subs - for two years now - and there is absolutely nothing to suggest this man can’t be the next Alex Ferguson. Other people just don’t have the mental capacity to see the grand scheme only you can see.

Jesus wept.

I looked at Liverpool's performance against West Ham yesterday and I genuinely belive 3/4 of that squad would be shit here for us.

I really don't blame the players here and I believe we still just haven't got a good enough manager here.

I knew hardly anything about Slot & he's already looking bloody brilliant playing his own style of football.

Whether a club is title challenging team is a different story where much like Arsenal we will have to build a squad to challenge a squad directly at City's level -
But for far too long we just haven't looked like a top club & as many have said, clubs like Spurs, Aston Villa & Newcastle look like bigger clubs than us.

Liverpool getting Klopp & Slot alongside their good history of recent players has been because of their owners Fenway Sports Group.

INEOS has shown promise this year with many calling it a 10/10 transfer window.

Now it's time to stop f*cking around and scout and find a bloody good manager just like we would a player & not go for managers like Moyes, Van Gaal, Ole, Mourinho & Ten Hag because they are our versions of Antony or Wan Bissaka.

I'm one of the few fans who doesn't blame Rashford for sulking on the pitch & showing sh*t work ethic - because I know I would be exactly the same if I had to play under such a bang average manager aswell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fortitude
Absolutely. Barring the odd collapse season like last season, Ole’s last year etc where teams starting taking us to the cleaners, our biggest issue, by far, has been the quality of our general / possession play and more specifically, the inefficiency and inadequacy particularly with which we move the ball about in congested central areas. We are fine in low pressure wide areas but once the ball comes inside we crumble and panic. Of course to be fair having better attackers would lead to more chances too but aside from recruitment my biggest drive has been how we don’t value the ball, and are so incredibly loose and erratic with it. Heart on sleeve over composure and precision.

Yesterday was a great example actually. The intent was there but the way we went about it was so poor. Everyone looking desperately for the furthest man, whacking every pass as if that makes scoring goals more likely - it was just a silly way to go about trying to dominate games and emblematic of our football this past decade. We supposedly want to dominate but also decide to skip the difficult parts (midfield control and dominating the ball) to get to the end goal asap

One of the more frustrating points I've tried to nail in to people's heads around here is that you don't just magically score more goals "by bringing in better goalscorers". Especially in 2024 when chance creation is so systemic for many teams. Just because you stick Haaland up top instead of Zirkzee wouldn't mean we are magically contending for the league. Sure it would help but he certainly wouldn't hit his City numbers here and the attack would still be disjointed because we simply don't create any "easy" chances that are repeatable. Most of our creation comes from one of Bruno's 50 tries, or pure individual quality from a winger. But you rarely see the type of goal scored by Garnacho against Soton from our side.

It's also why I've constantly pushed back on the notion that Bruno is required for us to ever score/create as a team when people cite his huge creation metrics. There are hardly any other teams in the world that rely on a singular creator, much less a flawed one, yet a team like Arsenal scores plenty of goals because their team and system result in numerous opportunites and aren't just reliant on a few moments where if the player on the end of a random cross/pass doesn't ruthlessly finish it we lose and people lament our forwards.

Owen Hargreaves overheard the conversation between ETH and Garnacho before he came on.

Apparently Garnacho told ETH he wanted to attack them to secure the win, but ETH told him "No. Defend, defend, defend."

:lol:
I recall Hargreaves saying he overheard Ten Hag telling him to defend, but I don’t recall anything about Garnacho telling Ten Hag he wanted to attack to secure the win.

Did you just make that up to spice up your post?

There's some minor progress in performances from the disaster that was last season, but is there any real progress on the pitch from when he joined? Our squad is better and younger, but it should be after throwing that many hundreds of millions at it. And yet on the pitch I still don't see any substantive progress from 2022 to to now, in our general play or in our results.

The best manager make a team more than the sum of its parts. He does the opposite.

Maybe £600+million million just doesn't stretch very much nowadays? Maybe ETH needs another 500million quid to get us to play the ETHball we so crave.

Last edited:
Some of our players have been in the team for over 3 seasons now, and yet, every game is like a new season. Team work is a joke, so why do we need all these multi-million coaches? Just pick 11 names and play, like school team, let them figure out how to score.

Sum of parts:

Either we play less than the sum of our parts, or the opposition play greater than the sum of their parts. Given the massive discrepancy of the squads, and against the opponents we've faced to date for all but one game this season thus far, it's enough to tell you this manager is out of his depth. You don't need to delve into the archives; this is a problem from the ground up of this so-called fresh start.

You can actually say this fresh start exacerbates all of the flaws Ten Hag has. There's no fallback excuses; this is just bad management and coaching. We are also seeing his substitutions and in-game management constantly doing more harm than good. Objectively, he has worked himself out of a job. This next run will be the end of him.

FC Twente - Squad Value - 20 million.

Where are we going wrong? Why are we not able to convincingly win against such minnows at home? If we need world class players in every spot, then what’s the use of a manager? Isn’t it the primary job of the manager to make “sum” play better than the parts?

Or is this his level, he is a basically a midtable manager, who was lucky to be handed the keys to the “biggest” club in the world. Whatever it is, but for the sake our club, he needs to be let go or one more season goes away in drain.

«Keep» went from 10 % to 22 % after beating a promoted team and some farts from the 3rd tier. This fanbase never ceases to amaze me.
And you are not a real fan if you weren’t subjugated by 2 wins against abysmal teams and a draw to Palace.

This team has had a goal scoring problem ever since Ten Hag became manager. This is the third season now and it’s not going to change no matter who’s playing. This is a managerial limitation.