Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
I believe he's referring to the famous 20 monkeys and with typewriters analogy.

Given time they will eventually write Shakespeare. I believe now that anybody who's backing this manager believes the same principal.

I don't think anyone is defending him anymore, are they? Some will always back the manager, which is fair enough - but feel like we are now at the stage most of us want the manager out.
there is definitely the loud minority. VP89 seems to get a kick out of arguing against anything negative about ETH. I can't even tell if they're serious at this point. I doubt even a true fan of ETH would be so adamant in their defence at this point.

It’s just times like tonight that genuinely make me angry at our supporters. Just thinking about the months on end many defended everything he did in the face of overwhelming evidence that hes shit.

Which is why sacking him now would be so counter productive - we'd be letting so many of our fans off the hook. Let him see out the season, maybe even his contract. Nows the time to stay firm - and if it doesn't work out just up the ticket prices to make up for the money we'll have lost.

Long term the club will be in a better place if we suffer through this.

Really poor record in European games since that 3-0 loss at Sevilla. Combined with poor league results (that also started in similar time), it doesn't look good. 2 domestic cup wins and 1 final make it look better but that argument won't be enough if results don't improve in league and Europa.

I liked what I saw against Southampton, Barnsley and Palace. We need more of that against Spurs, Porto and Villa (much more difficult opponents) for ten Hag to strengthen his position before International break. Few defeats (which can happen easily) in those 3 games and he could even lose his job, though that probably won't happen yet.

Of course he throws players under the bus saying they didnt give 100%. It’s your fecking job to extract the maximum effort. If you captain the least effort player and refuse to bench him this is what happens.

Explain that.

Because another manager will come in, and we'll repeat the same argument about how he just needs time to turn into the next Ferguson. So let's just see this one out. We've had the same split in the fanbase going back a decade now - those who believe that time is all it takes to make a great manager, and those who don't.

This is now proof by exhaustion on that argument. Let him see out his contract. Only way that should change is if Old Trafford vocally force him out.

Just cant ignore it anymore.

We’ve gone from excuses about getting battered by Copenhagen and Galatasaray to dropping down a tier and struggling there too.

Its so obvious what the problem is - or should we say who.

How much longer do we have to entertain the idea that we are suddenly going to turn the corner if we put up with more of this junk? We could extend his contract to 10 years and watch a decade of this smeg and some people would still be pumping that narrative in the tenth year

I don't think anyone is defending him anymore, are they? Some will always back the manager, which is fair enough - but feel like we are now at the stage most of us want the manager out.
Yep. Think there’s only one or two left in this thread.

@Adnan, who is a really well respected poster, was staunch supporter of ETH. I wonder how he feels?

Time after time we go in at halftime and come back out and get dominated, it’s like whatever ETH says in the dressing room is counterproductive. It also shows that the opposition managers are nearly always tactically better than ETH as they work out how to play us in second halves and he never really has an answer to counteract, he just seems to throw on a load of subs (the wrong ones) and hope for the best.

Reactions: Fortitude
Which is why sacking him now would be so counter productive - we'd be letting so many of our fans off the hook. Let him see out the season, maybe even his contract. Nows the time to stay firm - and if it doesn't work out just up the ticket prices to make up for the money we'll have lost.

Long term the club will be in a better place if we suffer through this.

What are you talking about ? Progress is all that matters. As soon as its clear ETH can't achieve meaningful progress bin him, get a new manager in and have that manager start implementing his style. It would be idiotic and waste of a season to keep ETH, knowing he's not the long term manager. Keeping him to prove a point to fans makes no sense whatsoever.
If I was DOF for UTD, I'd fire him after the game and start a process to look for a new manager to save this season. Because the rate we are going at, we will be out of top 4 by christmas. We can't afford another wasted season. Even if we miss top 4, I'd prefer to start the next season with a manager who had time to prepare the team this season so we can hit the ground running next season

Because another manager will come in, and we'll repeat the same argument about how he just needs time to turn into the next Ferguson. So let's just see this one out. We've had the same split in the fanbase going back a decade now - those who believe that time is all it takes to make a great manager, and those who don't.

This is now proof by exhaustion on that argument. Let him see out his contract. Only way that should change is if Old Trafford vocally force him out.

But same thing happened with Moyes and even before the point of his sacking he was getting applauded by the home fans at OT

There was nothing wrong with that starting 11 tonight. The first half was good. What seems to be a trend this season, is that we are not coming out fired up in the second half. The games are going flat and we are not finishing teams off.

And on Saturday and again tonight, the subs did not improve us. If anything, we lost our shape and rhythm when the subs came on. It was headless chicken stuff.

Bruno was the one who had to come off, he was giving the ball away and not creating anything going forward. Mount could have replaced him and I would have left Amad on the pitch. Another option could have been Zirkzee and Hojlundon together for the last 20 mins, because Twente had 11 men behind the ball and we needed to wear them down. Even if it was launching balls into the box.

But same thing happened with Moyes and even before the point of his sacking he was getting applauded by the home fans at OT

So just keep him. Our paying customers wanted this (quite vocally), and the club should give it to them.

Just cant ignore it anymore.

We’ve gone from excuses about getting battered by Copenhagen and Galatasaray to dropping down a tier and struggling there too.

Its so obvious what the problem is - or should we say who.

How much longer do we have to entertain the idea that we are suddenly going to turn the corner if we put up with more of this junk? We could extend his contract to 10 years and watch a decade of this smeg and some people would still be pumping that narrative in the tenth year
ETH needs to go. But I fear it's going to be the same realisation post the managers sacking. The players just aren't up to it. FFS I don't care who is managing us. You gotta be beating Twente at home.

ETH needs to go. But I fear it's going to be the same realisation post the managers sacking. The players just aren't up to it. FFS I don't care who is managing us. You gotta be beating Twente at home.
We should be the 1st club then to not have a manager.

Have the players figure it out on the field.

It’s clear he’s a dead man walking. There’s nothing to defend tonight. The team delivered a slow, lethargic performance, even after he’s been rotating players all season. The lack of creativity in this game is a glaring contrast to the Palace match, highlighting his inability to achieve any form of consistency. Results have been consistent though. Consistently shit.

Keeping Bruno on the pitch for a second game running despite his poor performance is indefensible. What makes it worse tonight is moving him to the right flank, seemingly just to keep him on the field when we all know he's utter gash there as he hasn't got a single quality to make him effective on the wing. It’s baffling. Seems like he's either too stubborn or too thick. The latter seems more likely.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt in the past for his reluctance to substitute underperformers, as the bench didn’t offer many game-changing options. But that excuse doesn’t fly this season—there are plenty of alternatives. It’s becoming clear this is just his way of doing things, and it seems like he lacks the ability to change the game positively using his substitutions.

The belief/hope that results will follow performances is fading away when the performances can falter seemingly for no reason at all. I've said after the Liverpool game that he'll get atleast until the next international break. He doesn't seem like he'll last even that long.

What are you talking about ? Progress is all that matters. As soon as its clear ETH can't achieve meaningful progress bin him, get a new manager in and have that manager start implementing his style. It would be idiotic and waste of a season to keep ETH, knowing he's not the long term manager. Keeping him to prove a point to fans makes no sense whatsoever.
If I was DOF for UTD, I'd fire him after the game and start a process to look for a new manager to save this season. Because the rate we are going at, we will be out of top 4 by christmas. We can't afford another wasted season. Even if we miss top 4, I'd prefer to start the next season with a manager who had time to prepare the team this season so we can hit the ground running next season
I think he is making progress if we compare with last year for the team play. However, to get results, he needs to really solve our offensive play. That’s something he hasn’t really been able to crack. Not sure whether he can. That’s the main concern.

Owen Hargreaves overheard the conversation between ETH and Garnacho before he came on.

Apparently Garnacho told ETH he wanted to attack them to secure the win, but ETH told him "No. Defend, defend, defend."

:lol:

I think he is making progress if we compare with last year for the team play. However, to get results, he needs to really solve our offensive play. That’s something he hasn’t really been able to crack. Not sure whether he can. That’s the main concern.
It’s hard not to achieve some progress after last season’s shitshow—I’ve said as much already. But the thing is, we all know that’s not enough. It’s not just the offensive play; it looks like he can’t achieve any consistency in performances at all. And when the results are already poor, adding in poor performances means that progress isn't enough to save him.

If we got ourselves and EPL scorer, we wouldn't be struggling so badly. Expecting Hoijund or Zirkzee to come good is questionable. Hoijund is here for a season, he has yet to convince me that he is a starting striker for any EPL teams, let alone United. Zirkzee hasn't been clinical as well. It is likely season where we are the lowest scorers in the league. What the plan now? Buy another striker in the summer transfer window. Let's pray the Arsenal kid comes good.

Hey i dont think the approach is particularly right of fun to watch. Just saying what they might be considering as team building strategy. We're probably wasting Bruno's last good years too.

I still think keeping onto ten hag was the wrong choice and i don't particularly care much about an FA cup but i hope all the incoming transfers are considered with a long term view and are not the wishes of the current manager. On the other hand they might be thinking the Dutchman is the right person to help them grow

I'm willing to accept this horrendously inefficient gameplan for another year personally and i have accepted that every Monday I'll be mocked by my colleagues.

I don’t get why we would lay any blame on forwards not being clinical enough when we did not actually even create any really good chances today. Our expected goals were slightly over 1 and we scored 1, that was par for the course for this performance. It’s not like we wasted multiple great chances and got punished on the odd opportunity they got, these were two equal teams playing it out toe to toe.
It’s the same shit over and over again. Since SAF left it’s been the case with every manager, we create very few chances and many people end up obsessing over those misses, claiming if we had better players or our forwards were more clinical, we’d do better. City and Liverpool miss so many chances every game it’s unreal.

3rd season and still struggling to string a decent 90 mins performance. The guy is very lucky to be still managing is but his time is coming to close if things don't drastically improve.

It’s the same shit over and over again. Since SAF left it’s been the case with every manager, we create very few chances and many people end up obsessing over those misses, claiming if we had better players or our forwards were more clinical, we’d do better. City and Liverpool miss so many chances every game it’s unreal.
Agreed. Football is a low scoring sport so you can always argue that "if that shot had gone in" the result would be better. I've checked and apparently it normally takes 3 shots on target for a goal. Most teams miss chances.