Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well he quite clearly would have been sacked had we not been in the middle of a takeover. It was a complete anomaly.
It seems like he might’ve been sacked in the summer if we’d secured one of our targets. I feel the owners agreed with some supporters that you need a top manager with pedigree to replace Ten Hag. In reality there are a lot of ‘unproven’ managers at clubs in our league and abroad that could easily replace him. Out of the big six, only Pep really had any pedigree when he signed for City.

I'm not sure getting rid now is the right thing to do as I honestly have no idea who there is to realistically replace him. But, as soon as that guy exists he should be gone.

Doesn't matter if at that exact moment we're in good form. He's not going to get us challenging again. He's a decent enough manager and was the right kind of appointment at the time, but this job has proven to be beyond him.
A lot of posters were saying that as a reason for keeping him in the summer. The reality is unless we get Guardiola, Klopp or a couple of others (none of whom will join) then whoever we get in next will be a gamble, Ten Hag was a gamble given he'd only managed in a relatively weak league.

The club backed him in the summer after some uncertainty so I think he has time to try and make that first hour at Palace more of the norm but I hope the club are keeping him because they see something to believe in rather than waiting for some shiny new manager to prove themselves as definitively good enough (at which point they would have better options anyway than joining an upper midtable team).

Well, trying a different approach. The “can’t believe anyone supports this guy” responses have been flagged for inappropriate comments, so it’s easier to be positive. Can’t blame Ten Hag for poor finishing. Or bad transfers. Or bad results. Or injuries. Or poor tactics.

Optimistic that we’ll get a point on the weekend and continue building momentum towards a mid table finish.

Let's stay positive...

...upper mid-table.

If INEOS are serious, they're going to have to show it very soon, because there's no reason we should have to watch this sort of slop for too much longer.

He's been backed, but is simply showing he's not actually up to it.

I think we're at the point where it's just funny again now. Look at our next set of fixtures, you know exactly how it's going to go, we only tune in for the car crash now. Then you've got some posters limbering up before the full time whistle to come in here and talk about how we're progressing because we had more corners than we did last season. It's all one big laugh now.

Nah the "sarcastic" posters are the fecking worst. There's barely anyone supporting him btw. The poll is pretty unanimous. There's only 3 or 4 who genuinely seem fixated on the notion that things have actually improved in any significant way.

If INEOS are serious, they're going to have to show it very soon, because there's no reason we should have to watch this sort of slop for too much longer.

He's been backed, but is simply showing he's not actually up to it.
It's madness that they tried to sack him in the summer and couldn't. Went cap in hand to De Zerbi and Tuchel and got turned down by both.

Well, trying a different approach. The “can’t believe anyone supports this guy” responses have been flagged for inappropriate comments, so it’s easier to be positive. Can’t blame Ten Hag for poor finishing. Or bad transfers. Or bad results. Or injuries. Or poor tactics.

Optimistic that we’ll get a point on the weekend and continue building momentum towards a mid table finish.
Understandable!

It was baffling, he was providing threat. We needed threat. It was sheepish and typical Ten Hag to take off an attacker. It was another cowardly move. Keeping Bruno on was ridiculous, but I think everyone is in agreement about that.
It was sheepish and cowardly for Ten Hag to take off an attacker for a center forward?

Enough of this logic please.No more
Who would you hire then? Bearing in mind that we'd probably have to send most of the new coaches we've just signed packing as well. You'd also have to back the next guy for a time, and might miss out on someone more suitable.

I genuinely want to see something different at this point, but there isn't a Klopp or a Pep to bring in right now.

ETH fanboys will blame an individual mistake, but we didn't do anything to deserve any more than a draw, I cannot really fault any player, Rashford looked sharp and positive, Ugarte looks busy and useful, everyone played well enough, the issue is we look like we have control because we are playing Zirkzee so deep that he is effectively an extra midfielder, but then we are not really creating gilt edged chances because Zirkzeee is not fast enough to break forward from the deep position, so then you have Amad and Rashford running predictably down the flanks, with nobody in the middle it means they either have to cut back in and slow down the attack or have to beat their man and run at goal every single time, then as soon as we bring Hoijlund on who naturally plays a lot further forward we lose control in the midfield and so the chances dry up.

Twente could have easily won tonight, they probably had the better chances, and had they played the correct ball on the break around the 91st minute they would probably have scored again.

There is something fundamentally wrong in the setup and tactics, I have to say it doesn't look a million miles off something, but not sure that is not just down to the quality of the squad, I do not think ETH has the skills to get this working, seems he can either get us playing with a fair amount of control but limited cutting edge, until somebody inevitably messes up, or with no midfield whatsoever.

I predicted 1-1 was really not surprised by the performance or the result.

I can see us beating Spurs if we play Ole-ball but otherwise not confident

Nah the "sarcastic" posters are the fecking worst. There's barely anyone supporting him btw. The poll is pretty unanimous. There's only 3 or 4 who genuinely seem fixated on the notion that things have actually improved in any significant way.
I can't tell if they're serious or not, but they've been backing him for the whole of last season so it's hard to tell.

The few ETH apologists that are left are now so heavily invested in backing a proven failure, they feel pot committed.

It wasn’t an attacking change though, he swapped Zirkzee for Hojlund, different profiles but a straight swap. I don’t know what you’ve said in other posts but the one I replied to said Rashford wasn’t very good which I don’t agree with, he was dangerous and put a few good balls in; he did as well as can be expected in this system.
Mount played in the Zirkzee role.

It was sheepish and cowardly for Ten Hag to take off an attacker for a center forward?

You're just showing yourself as a desperate supporter of the manager, or someone who is purposefully being obtuse and a bit thick. You've already been told why it was silly by other posters who have replied to you, but you've ignored them.

It seems like he might’ve been sacked in the summer if we’d secured one of our targets.

Aye, some reports seem to indicate that Tuchel rejected us. It's clear INEOS will pull the trigger relatively soon. I would guess Ruud will be interim for a period of time after that.

With Ten Hag it is either going to suddenly click into place or it's going to continue on like this, at this middling, nothing of note level of performance.

The team, right now, is playing how he wants us to play. The execution of it may be substandard but this is it. It's not going to evolve into something else.

His approach is all about keeping the ball, going for the high percentage pass, waiting for players to advance in blocks instead of trying to exploit the space in behind and create one v one situations.

Twente were defending on halfway and we still didn't try and set Rashford or Garnacho off in behind. When a coach sees that and doesn't try to tell his players to quicken up their approach then you have to conclude he's happy with it.

Either our players will just start to make it all work miraculously or this is it. This is the destination we have been going to. There's nothing more.

"We dropped a level and gave a goal away"

"We didn't finish it off, we kept them alive"

"We can't give a goal away like this. Twente player dribbled past the whole team"

"You have to keep going and go for the second"

"The first game is important, you've got to win"

ETH fanboys will blame an individual mistake, but we didn't do anything to deserve any more than a draw, I cannot really fault any player, Rashford looked sharp and positive, Ugarte looks busy and useful, everyone played well enough, the issue is we look like we have control because we are playing Zirkzee so deep that he is effectively an extra midfielder, but then we are not really creating gilt edged chances because Zirkzeee is not fast enough to break forward from the deep position, so then you have Amad and Rashford running predictably down the flanks, with nobody in the middle it means they either have to cut back in and slow down the attack or have to beat their man and run at goal every single time, then as soon as we bring Hoijlund on who naturally plays a lot further forward we lose control in the midfield and so the chances dry up.

Twente could have easily won tonight, they probably had the better chances, and had they played the correct ball on the break around the 91st minute they would probably have scored again.

There is something fundamentally wrong in the setup and tactics, I have to say it doesn't look a million miles off something, but not sure that is not just down to the quality of the squad, I do not think ETH has the skills to get this working, seems he can either get us playing with a fair amount of control but limited cutting edge, until somebody inevitably messes up, or with no midfield whatsoever.

I predicted 1-1 was really not surprised by the performance or the result.

I can see us beating Spurs if we play Ole-ball but otherwise not confident
If it weren't for Eriksen mistake, we would have won 1-0.

I can't tell if they're serious or not, but they've been backing him for the whole of last season so it's hard to tell.

It's pretty obvious who's badly attempting to be funny and the ones who, for whatever reason, seem to think he'll turn this mess around.

United’s last nine results in Europe…

3-3 vs Sevilla (H)
❌ 0-3 vs Sevilla (A)
❌ 3-4 vs Bayern Munich (A)
❌ 2-3 vs Galatasaray (H)
✅ 1-0 vs Copenhagen (H)
❌ 3-4 vs Copenhagen (A)
3-3 vs Galatasaray (A)
❌ 0-1 vs Bayern Munich (H)
1-1 vs FC Twente (H)

Another embarrassing European night for us under Ten Hag.

Mainoo/Eriksen
Ugarte - Casemiro/Mainoo

I would like to see this at some stage before he's sacked. I can't believe we're still trying to persist with the 1 proper midfielder-system 3 years in. He actually deviated from it to win the FA cup, and then said feck that.

United’s last nine results in Europe…

3-3 vs Sevilla (H)
❌ 0-3 vs Sevilla (A)
❌ 3-4 vs Bayern Munich (A)
❌ 2-3 vs Galatasaray (H)
✅ 1-0 vs Copenhagen (H)
❌ 3-4 vs Copenhagen (A)
3-3 vs Galatasaray (A)
❌ 0-1 vs Bayern Munich (H)
1-1 vs FC Twente (H)

Another embarrassing European night for us under Ten Hag.
And we only won the Copenhagen game at home through Onana saving a last minute penalty.

Is it fair to say whatever you think of Ten Hag we’re basically seeing three different styles of football over three seasons? That in itself is a bit mental.

First season was sit back and counter, basically Ole Ball part 2

Second season was wide open end to end suicide ball

Third season is an attempt at technical possession based football

I think of the three I’m more optimistic about the latest iteration (despite season one being the most successful in terms of results) but we really need to fecking click and quickly

Oh and drop Bruno because every single one of our attacks seems to die at his feet at the moment.

You're just showing yourself as a desperate supporter of the manager, or someone who is purposefully being obtuse and a bit thick. You've already been told why it was silly by other posters who have replied to you, but you've ignored them.
Mind your tone. Desperate is a right word to describe your post when you've just been called out for not knowing what the sub was for.
I'll ask again, is taking one attacker off for another attacker cowardly?

I would understand if Rashford was taken off for a pragmatic switch like a DM. But Mount came on in the Zirkzee role, Hojlund came on to be a striker, Garnacho moved to Rashfords role (and was just as good on the left) and Mainoo came on for Eriksen.

This has feck all to do with the manager, what a bizarre point. I didn't like our performance today, but I'm not going to make shit up and claim subbing one attacker for another attacker is cowardly. I'd rather stick to accurate criticism which isn't too hard to find.

Who would you hire then? Bearing in mind that we'd probably have to send most of the new coaches we've just signed packing as well. You'd also have to back the next guy for a time, and might miss out on someone more suitable.

I genuinely want to see something different at this point, but there isn't a Klopp or a Pep to bring in right now.

Backing managers for a time (too much time) is how we've found ourselves in this predicament.