Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's a matter of opinion. I disagree his game management was poor. We dominated for large periods away to Palace which is not an easy ground for anyone. His subs were pretty straightforward. They didn't work out but you could see the intent.

We did well today, we were unlucky not to have the 3 points, that is clear. It is clear we were better than Palace.

Doesn’t matter if you don’t think his game management was poor. So many people here do think that that it’s become one of the main talking points of the match. And that’s a fact that does not reflect well on the manager whether you agree with it or not.

And so far Palace’s home results this season have been one draw and one loss. West Ham did better than we did. And Palace could have easily won the game with one of their chances in the second half today. It’s not good enough.

While watching the game against Southampton, I was telling a friend, the fact we rely on Eriksen to do what he does is ETH downfall.
I feel among all the signings the Mount deal was the worst, he really got it wrong then, that's were he suppose to go get a younger Eriksen and that's what I expected that summer.
We'll never be a proper team unless we have a deep lying player who is composed, intelligent with passing range in his pump.

Good to see more fans realising this. All the top teams have that one midfielder who controls the midfield and dictates play.

I think it was a very good chance. Bread and butter for a player like him. And garnacho had brilliant chances too. De Ligt had a very good chance too to be fair.

Agreed. All good chances. But Eze's was simply the easiest to convert.

Results have not been great but in the general the football has been better in these 5 games than any 5 game run you could pick out from last season. That isn't saying much, last year was so astonishingly inept it is not much of an achievement, but we have seen a slight improvement.
You said it yourself, it really doesn't say much to be a slight improvement from last season.

I mean that still shouldn't be close to good enough though.

We do look a lot better than last season but last season was disgracefully poor. I still don't think we're very good, we're just better than rock bottom. 3rd season in charge, it should be much better than this.

No, I have very little faith he is capable of turning this around, but fair is fair.

Absolutely the right take which is why I was really in favour of signing Rabiot who would have been a short term fix but would have got us into the top 4.
I think he did the right thing with the defense getting ball players across the entire defence. He's going to have to move away from Bruno though. He needs to go get another cm. Someone who is going to get high volume passes with very high accuracy and range. He needs to play that player with Mainoo and Ugarte probably in a flat three.
I think he already missed the opportunity to construct the midfield, he'll probably be gone before next summer.

Todays result was frustrating and while its still early days INEOS trust in Ten Hag is starting to show. We have seen glimpses of what this new and improved United team can do in the last few matches and results will follow the performances.

Signs of improvement, good performance in general. Shot himself in the foot by bringing in Rashford. We move on to the next game.

Has a decision to make with Rashford, he isn't good enough to start left or up top for us.

He is not getting inside the players heads like Guardiola does for city.

That final twenty minutes under ferguson, we would have been pressing for a goal. Instead it looked like we settled for a point. Players had basically given up.

Exactly. This is Season three and all we're hearing from his supporters are yet more excuses. I don't give a damn about excuses anymore. Either we get results or we feck him off, preferably while we still have something to play for this Season.
100% this. Please soon.

Once you've stopped deflecting - are you going to answer my post?

For reference - this is the "bashing":
Not sure how I can deflect in response to a post by you not aimed at me, are you sure you know the meaning of the word?

You made a comment saying he has to produce results, in a Palace thread after the Palace game. Do I need to iterate my point any further?

Long term it counts for a lot, as there's only so long you can go getting undeserved results.

Palace could easily have scored a couple, we could easily have scored over double that. Had we finished our numerous chances, this game would have been simple, which again brings us back to the complaints being about our poor finishing rather than the manager or the setup.

It really doesn’t. Goals and wins and points count in this league, and it seems beyond Ten Hag to lead this team to find king any of those things consistently. We’ve also won our fair share of games when the luck has been on our side and we haven’t deserved it (like the Fulham game).

There are valid criticisms claims to be made regarding our finishing today. But there are equally valid criticisms to be made about Ten Hag’s game management in the second half.

That and the Antony deal.

If only we had a better team above him then. Mount is a signing you make when you already have all the pieces to the puzzle.
Antony deal doesn't look as bad because of Amad and Garnacho. With Mount it was quite obvious that summer we needed a younger more mobile Eriksen. ETH wanted to be clever and went for something totally different, Mount is a good player but absolutely the wrong profile.

Todays result was frustrating and while its still early days INEOS trust in Ten Hag is starting to show. We have seen glimpses of what this new and improved United team can do in the last few matches and results will follow the performances.

Is this satire? I'm honestly curious at this stage

The last 20 minutes or so looked as if he's finally told the players to stop being so fecking naive in chasing a game/scoring more, so they've gone too far the other way. :lol:

Finishing is a huge part of the game, it's not merely something incidental - you can't give credit for other aspects of the performance but at the same time completely hand-wave away the inability to actually put the ball in the back of the net.

ETH seemed happy in the end which was absolutely unbelievable. I think ETH's main aim is to keep avoiding the sack for as long as possible, which just means another write-off of a season for us. The way we keep happily back passing in our own half in injury time with no urgency just made me furious and left me questioning whether we have already given up on top-4. ETH has successfully made mediocrity an absolute normal at united.

The last 20 minutes or so looked as if he's finally told the players to stop being so fecking naive in chasing a game/scoring more, so they've gone too far the other way. :lol:

Yeh, it looks like a pre-set directive to not take many risks in the last 20 mins of games. Though, surely, the players should have enough game awareness to play to the situation required and go for the winner. Pretty bizzare.

That final twenty minutes under ferguson, we would have been pressing for a goal. Instead it looked like we settled for a point. Players had basically given up.
Those chances Palace had scared the shit out of us. Our mental fragility reared it's head again, worsened by Ten Hag's pathetic game management.

ETH seemed happy in the end which was absolutely unbelievable. I think ETH's main aim is to keep avoiding the sack for as long as possible, which just means another write-off of a season for us. The way we keep happily back passing in our own half in injury time with no urgency just made me furious and left me questioning whether we have already given up on top-4. ETH has successfully made mediocrity an absolute normal at united.

Well that’s not what he said in his post match interview

Those chances Palace had scared the shit out of us. Our mental fragility reared it's head again, worsened by Ten Hag's pathetic game management.
Also add in his desire to avoid the sack. There is no way he is going to ask anyone to take any risk going for a win. It was just painful to see us settle for a draw and not create anything meaningful in last 20 minutes.

The realists that thought ten hag had to go after the fa cup are being proved right. We are watching another season being thrown away. City will be 8 points clear of us if they win tomorrow with only 5 games played.

Is this satire? I'm honestly curious at this stage
I am serious. Todays result is frustrating for all of us but the performance was strong and on another day we could have easily won. The last few games have shown clear signs of a developing pattern of play and if we continue like this we will win more often than not.

I am serious. Todays result is frustrating for all of us but the performance was strong and on another day we could have easily won. The last few games have shown clear signs of a developing pattern of play and if we continue like this we will win more often than not.

100% agree. If we play like this against bottom teams and midtable teams we'll win 9 out of 10. Very encouraging performance.

While watching the game against Southampton, I was telling a friend, the fact we rely on Eriksen to do what he does is ETH downfall.
I feel among all the signings the Mount deal was the worst, he really got it wrong then, that's were he suppose to go get a younger Eriksen and that's what I expected that summer.
We'll never be a proper team unless we have a deep lying player who is composed, intelligent with passing range in his pump.

I agree. I find it kind of funny that we go through another transfer window, start the season and Eriksen is getting 0 minutes… and yet somehow we end up here again with having to use Eriksen out of position because we have no one else who can make us tick.

How do we not buy a CM with that profile. It’s baffling…

Well that’s not what he said in his post match interview
I haven't seen what he actually said post match, but obviously it would be what people want to hear. The way we played in last 20 minutes (10 of which was probably just passes between Onana and Martinez with no urgency of moving forward) says it all.

Isn't that down to a lack of leadership on the pitch coupled with the manager failing to get a message across, I get the impression that when the players see subs come on they get a messsage to sit back, and cause a stale mate instead of going for that winning goal.
Surely that's down to a mentality coming from the coaching staff

Sometimes I question if you lot know anything at all about football outside of video games, YouTube, and the shite you read on social media that you all lap up as gospel.

I’d rather a 0-0 where we play like that vs. scraping some dog shit 1-0 where we play poorly. At least we’re moving in the right direction and not letting undeserved results paper over the cracks.
I tend to go that direction as well. Not overly bothered by the result, we've had a good game and on another occasion we're one goal up before Palace find their feet. It also seems to me like we're learning new things after each game. I don't expect this manager to take actions on those unfortunately. Bruno will be first name on the team sheet. Interesting what happens with Zirkzee now.

Second half was peak LVG. Brilliant First half.

Time is running out. He can't give same reasons every year. Hopefully we find some wins soon. But iam starting to like our style based on what I saw in first half.