Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Team was setup well and totally dominated for huge spells of the game.

Play that constantly and the results will come.

Since when is a three year stint early days? He’ll be here 10 years and people will be saying “we can’t judge him yet! We’ve just changed the wallpaper in the dressing room, he needs more time!”
1st year: Won the Carabao Cup (first trophy in 5 years), reached the FA Cup final and finished 3rd in the league.
2nd year: Won the FA Cup despite facing one of the worst injury crises.
3rd year: 7 points from 5 games isnt ideal but its not a disaster either. My point is, we are improving bit by bit. Performance wise we were dominant and the goals will come eventually. Today we were simply unlucky.

He has almost all his players back from injury and is backed again in the transfer market. What is the excuse now that we are 11th in the table and still don’t have a positive goal difference?

Yes we played alright and should have won based on the first half, but fact is we didn’t win, once again.

The decision to drop Rashford doesn't make any sense to me at all. He kept playing him when he was playing shite, he has 2 decent games and ends up on the bench. I have no idea why anyone would make that choice.

Also, in game management today was way off, Bruno 100% should have been hooked. He was atrocious, but he still plays the whole game.

Overall, first half today was brilliant, Henderson kept them in it. Second half was awful, no intent, no urgency, no idea how to break Palace down.

Oh and if you are being lazy and going to fall back on the tired "Arteta" excuse. By his 3rd full season in charge, Arteta started with 9 wins and 1 loss in his opening 10 games. He joined Arsenal in December 2019, in January 2020 Arsenal brought Pablo Marí on loan. He was only able to start making proper changes to Arsenal with his first pre season in charge. So surely a fair comparison for Arteta is to ignore the 19/20 season as he wasn't able to make the same sweeping changes that ETH was able too when he immediately joined us.

If however you aren't going to follow that logic and cling onto the Arteta hope, then yes actually his 81st PL game in charge (same as Ten Hag) was a 0-0 draw against Burnley. The following 20 PL games saw 15 wins and 5 loses. But here is Arteta and ETHs previous 20 games:

Games​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Pts​
Pts PG​
Win %​
20​
12​
3​
5​
35​
20​
+15​
39​
1.95​
60.0%​
20​
8​
5​
7​
31​
31​
0​
29​
1.45​
40.0%​

So even at this point, even if you include all of Artetas games in charge, Arsenal had picked up form and were getting results as well as performances. They were becoming consistent. Not as consistent as they are now, but they had made strides forward. We haven't. It's actually the exact same level of performance and results under ETH for the past 2 and a half seasons now. But Arteta came good with patience so I guess ETH will as well, that's how football works right?

Why? We squandered a load of chances and could have lost the game at the end. Play like that and we could lose both games.
We’ll finish chances especially with Hojlund back. Garnacho also will score his chances more often than not.

1st year: Won the Carabao Cup (first trophy in 5 years), reached the FA Cup final and finished 3rd in the league.
3rd year: 7 points from 5 games isnt ideal but its not a disaster either. My point is, we are improving bit by bit. Performance wise we were dominant and the goals will come eventually. Today we were simply unlucky.
1st year: finished 3rd, did nothing after winning the League cup in February
2nd year: finished 8th, embarrassed in the CL group stage
3rd year: still shite

This is Manchester United, not Spurs.

We’ll finish chances especially with Hojlund back. Garnacho also will score his chances more often than not.
I don't think we will. The chances we create aren't that easy to score, we're always asking someone to do something special to get a goal. As far as individual brilliance goes, our forward line isn't that brilliant.

I mean, if only relegation is disaster, then sure. In fact, I'm quite confident that we'll never be relegated under ETH.

There is absolutely no signs of improvements. Our results are exactly the same as last season except now we pass the ball better for some of the game.
I get that you hate Ten Hag but if you dont see any improvement in our performances then I cant help you. I would argue that we have been the better team in all our games this season except against Liverpool even in the Community Shield against Man City as well as Brighton and today.

The decision to drop Rashford doesn't make any sense to me at all. He kept playing him when he was playing shite, he has 2 decent games and ends up on the bench. I have no idea why anyone would make that choice.

Also, in game management today was way off, Bruno 100% should have been hooked. He was atrocious, but he still plays the whole game.

Overall, first half today was brilliant, Henderson kept them in it. Second half was awful, no intent, no urgency, no idea how to break Palace down.
Yeah that just seems so weird to me. I've said constantly that as the most senior forward and best goalscorer at the club, it's obvious he's tried to play Rashford into some form and support him over the past year or so and now when he finally does hit some form this season...he fecking drops him!? As others have said, it's hard not to be a bit suspicious and think something might have happened.

I wouldn't say Henderson was even that great, just some stupidly wasteful moments or the ball was fired right at him.

I don't think we will. The chances we create aren't that easy to score, we're always asking someone to do something special to get a goal. As far as individual brilliance goes, our forward line isn't that brilliant.
disagree Garnacho scores today usually with the chances he has. Especially the second. We’ll have days like today where we are a little unlucky but we continue with the trajectory and style of play we’ll win most games.

Would you have sacked Arteta? Out of interest
Absolutely, but seeing as Ten Hag isn't Arteta and Arteta has won the square root of feck all, it wouldn't have been a travesty anyway. Even with City's dominance Liverpool won a league title and a CL. Arsenal are way off it, they're just the best of a bad bunch (Chelsea, United, Spurs, Liverpool)

Reminds me so much of Southgate in his game management. Doesn’t seem to actually take any account of what’s actually going on in the match and just makes changes that look pre-ordained. There’s no feeling that he can change a match in game with his tactics.

disagree Garnacho scores today usually with the chances he has. Especially the second. We’ll have days like today where we are a little unlucky but we continue with the trajectory and style of play we’ll win most games.
We have too many of these days though. We've played like this before and still lost games. Then the morale goes and then the performances go and everyone piles on the players for 'not trying'

We have too many of these days though. We've played like this before and still lost games. Then the morale goes and then the performances go and everyone piles on the players for 'not trying'
You seem to be saying the chances we created today aren't easy to score, is that right?

I get that you hate Ten Hag but if you dont see any improvement in our performances then I cant help you. I would argue that we have been the better team in all our games this season except against Liverpool even in the Community Shield against Man City as well as Brighton and today.
I don't hate Ten Hag, don't make this personal. I hate the fact we're wasting another season because people don't want to see the patterns that are consistent under his managerial stint.

Yeah that just seems so weird to me. I've said constantly that as the most senior forward and best goalscorer at the club, it's obvious he's tried to play Rashford into some form and support him over the past year or so and now when he finally does hit some form this season...he fecking drops him!? As others have said, it's hard not to be a bit suspicious and think something might have happened.

I wouldn't say Henderson was even that great, just some stupidly wasteful moments or the ball was fired right at him.

Aye, it's just odd from the outside that anyone would make that call. Maybe something did happen, but Rashford didn't really look too arsed when he did come on.

Aye, it's just odd from the outside that anyone would make that call. Maybe something did happen, but Rashford didn't really look too arsed when he did come on.
Do you think Garnacho deserved to get benched after Burnley?

Since when is a three year stint early days? He’ll be here 10 years and people will be saying “we can’t judge him yet! We’ve just changed the wallpaper in the dressing room, he needs more time!”
You can look at it both ways. EtH going into his third full season, or perhaps more pragmatically that this season is the beginning of a new project under the INEOS structure.

Right now we’re 11th in the league averaging 1.4 points a game. That’s actually a regression, not an improvement.

Absolutely, but seeing as Ten Hag isn't Arteta and Arteta has won the square root of feck all, it wouldn't have been a travesty anyway. Even with City's dominance Liverpool won a league title and a CL. Arsenal are way off it, they're just the best of a bad bunch (Chelsea, United, Spurs, Liverpool)

Arteta has not actually won any major trophies (PL and CL), so still a long way to go before he is used as some example for showing patience.

The guy he replaced is higher up the table.

Do you think we were set up correctly when we played Palace?
For about 60 minutes we played well and then predictably we fell away and struggled, then the manager made changes that almost cost us the game. It's just another Ten Hag game, 18 wins, 14 losses last season. Most of them go like this. It's a coin flip on what you're going to get.

Dear god, using Goldbridge of all people to support your view is a terrible hill to die on TR.
It’s more worrying what I’m reading here tbh.

Plenty to dig Ten Hag out over the past two season but he can only do so much. Everything was pretty much spot on tonight but we didn’t score a few goals before half time. That’s the players. We should of been out of sight by half time.

In any game of football if you don’t take your chances the longer the game goes on the more likely the other team might nick something and frustrations set in. Its just basics really.

Dropping Rashford after 3 goals in 2 games after refusing to drop him for the past 18 months just about sums up Ten Hag’s man management - mind boggling/non existent.

Significant difference when compared to performances last season. Really surprised by some of the criticism. Just one of those days where the ball won’t go in.

Seems some fans don’t want to give the manager credit even when the team performs well.

It’s more worrying what I’m reading here tbh.

Plenty to dig Ten Hag out over the past two season but he can only do so much. Everything was pretty much spot on tonight but we didn’t score a few goals before half time. That’s the players. We should of been out of sight by half time.

In any game of football if you don’t take your chances the longer the game goes on the more likely the other team might nick something and frustrations set in. Its just basics really.

We've won 40% of our last 20 PL games. Are we back to blaming the players again?

Our GD since Ten Hag took charge is +14 in 81 PL games. It's the Manager.

For about 60 minutes we played well and then predictably we fell away and struggled, then the manager made changes that almost cost us the game. It's just another Ten Hag game, 18 wins, 14 losses last season. Most of them go like this. It's a coin flip on what you're going to get.
OK, so you think today's performance was a classic ten hag performance from last season.

You didn't answer my question though, did we set up incorrectly?