Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Okay that sounds fair. I am confident United will win this game and my prediction is a 5-1 scoreline. Feel free to add your prediction here and we will revisit this page next week to see how things turned out.
2-2

Spurs is a must win.
Today's result was really bad for us as our next 2 games are Spurs and Villa. If we messed up against a lower half team who have had a dreadful start to the season, we could be in real trouble playing two top half teams back to back. It's not unrealistic we end up with 0 wins out of 3.

But we may still be slight favourites over Spurs given we've home advantage.

We aren’t going to suddenly become great overnight, you will go crazy if you set your bar too high. I have got accustomed to us being horrible so today was quite refreshing as we were good for most of the game (even against opposition as poor as Palace were today and have been so far this year, they are still a team that beat us 4-0 not long ago, and we haven’t scored against them for more than 300 minutes).

Like I’ve said, the only negative to draw from today is we once again managed to kill any momentum we had with substitutions and tactical changes but it’s yet another thing I got so used to that it did not come as a surprise and did not erase the otherwise positive impression our performance has left me with.
You misspelled he

Today's result was really bad for us as our next 2 games are Spurs and Villa. If we messed up against a lower half team who have had a dreadful start to the season, we could be in real trouble playing two top half teams back to back. It's not unrealistic we end up with 0 wins out of 3.

Yeah. Coin flip if we’re being honest.
Our front 3 are way too inconsistent. And Bruno.

ETH seems to be using the first part of the season as his own pre-season. Team is progressively improving albeit very slowly but a lot of the work should have been done during pre-season.

We need a proven scorer and I’m hoping we get someone on loan at some point. He doesn’t have to be young and upcoming …maybe someone in the van Persie mould.

Substitute Sheffield United for Southampton and the same fixture from last season yielded the same 7 points.
Last Season

Sheffield United (A) - W, Liverpool (H) - D,, Brighton(A) -W, Palace(A) - L(4-0), Fulham(H) - L
Points 7
GS 6 GA8 GD -2

This Season
Fulham(H) - W, Brighton (A) - L, Liverpool (H)- L, Southampton (A) - W, Palace(H)- D
Points 7
GS5 GC5 GD0

where’s the improvement mr ETH we are scoring 0.2 goal per game less and we’ve improved our defence marginally but this squad can’t score goals.

Like I’ve said on numerous occasions, ETH has until the end of October to show measurable improvement otherwise he can collect his P45!

We need a proven scorer and I’m hoping we get someone on loan at some point. He doesn’t have to be young and upcoming …maybe someone in the van Persie mould.
It's been a long time since we've had a world class striker. I guess Rooney before his legs went.

We have stopped buying has beens thank God and good strikers at their peak cost a fortune and have no resale value. I'm actually glad we didn't buy Harry Kane. So coaching young players is the only option left. Hopefully Hojlund or Zirkzee will turn into goal scorers but I'm not really seeing it yet.

We have a freaking team that mirror the coach. Does ETH looks like someone who has passion? His bloody press conference are boring and defensive, that's how this team is playing. I want him out asap of United, I prefer someone with passion, someone who is shouting at the touchline telling everyone to go for it. Someone who pulls the player 10 mins into the game if he is playing horribly. Someone who will try to score in the first 20 mins. What we have is a bloody emotionless manager who ask the team to settle into the games by slowly passing behind, the team that play the first min and last min exactly the same, who has pre-determine substitution even the ball is kicked. Whoever hire him in the first place is an idiot, whoever that decide to keep him is also an idiot.

I am not sure where you get your statistics but I dont believe ten Hag is statistically one of our worst performing managers in the PL era.

Jose has the best statistics among Utd managers since Fergie:
Win Percentage: 58.3%
League Positions: 6th, 2nd
Trophies: 2 (Europa League, League Cup)

ten Hag:
Win Percentage: 56.7%
League Positions: 3rd, 8th
Trophies: 2 (League Cup, FA Cup)

van Gaal:
Win Percentage: 52.4%
League Positions: 4th, 5th
Trophies: 1 (FA Cup)

Ole:
Win Percentage: 54.2%
League Positions: 6th, 3rd, 2nd
Trophies: 0

Moyes:
Win Percentage: 52.9%
League Position: 7th
Trophies: 0

I would say I will give him until December to assess his performance. I am not just looking at the results but also at the overall performance and progress. Yes, I expect a top 4 finish this season or 5th place and a Europa League win.

I'll respond to this in detail tomorrow, but after 81PL games in charge Jose has a better win percentage, Ole has the same win percentage as ETH. Both Ole and Jose have better GD and significantly less loss percentage.

ETH has the lowest unbeaten streak of all United managers after 81 games. Rangnick managed a higher unbeaten streak with just a handful of games managed.

So yes, ETH is pretty appalling in the league. He's lucky he had a pretty decent initial few months as his form since the League cup final is goddamn terrible.

But I'll go into this tomorrow when I'm not in bed. Also note, I said PL results. He's a decent cup Manager not disputing that. I'm merely interested in his League form because it's shite.

What currently available manager would you bring in and be able to confidently say that scenario 1 is more than 20% likely to materialize?

Besides, your putting too much on the manager here. He’s important, but there is development needed at all levels of the club to achieve that goal. Especially in the recruitment and player development areas. I’d say ETH has proven throughout his career that he’s quite capable on the player development front, both at Ajax and here. But there structure around him needs to work as well.

I’m seeing promising signs all across the pitch so far this season. Liverpool game was an ugly blotch, mostly due to atrocious passing attempts from the base of midfield that they ruthlessly exploited. Other than that our performance wasn’t all that bad. Overall I would be inclined to give him this season + 1 more year as long as we’re in the CL spots or very close to it this season.
And that point of view is precisely why we are in this situation.

If he doesn't pick up 6 points from Villa and Spurs he honestly should be sacked.

People talking about a development this is a manager in his third season approaching a fourth with over 600 million spent under the same ownership under two different regimes.

INEOS can shuffle the cards in the hierarchy and the operational capacities but nothing truly changes until you get rid of the manager.

Erik Ten Hag is not good enough, he's encountered a ceiling established by his own incompetence.

Bunch of embarrassing posts in here. Palace had more shots, bigger chances and barely let us have to ball. How on earth did they not win this game? Ten Hag out.

Is me or does the eye test suggest we don't cross the ball enough in games

Bunch of embarrassing posts in here. Palace had more shots, bigger chances and barely let us have to ball. How on earth did they not win this game? Ten Hag out.
Why bother lying?
Palace had 9 shots to our 15 (4 vs 6 on target)
Our xG was much higher, 1.86 vs 0.99
We had nearly 67% possession.

Literally your entire post is fiction…

What? We completely dominated the game up until the 60th minute.

I'd happily take a dog shit 1-0 if the plan was to play dog shit all along. At least that'd mean we are good at executing a clear, albeit boring plan.
Like under a Van gaal? Were you on the forums then? Place was just as toxic as it is now, with the entitled fan base demanding we win everything going AND play beautiful football. LVG got sacked after winning the FA Cup because, presumably, the football wasn’t “The United way” - which is a load of shite in itself.

Anyone who knows anything about the game at all (sorry redcafe, that excludes most), would have left yesterdays game knowing that if we continue to play like that, results will start to take care of themselves. We needed a reset for the greater good. Grinding out shitty wins that gives the false image of progress (whilst balancing on a knifes edge of success:failure), is NOT the direction we wanted to continue heading.

Good game. Keep up up, Eric.

Back to FIFa, kid. Absolutely clueless. And not even true statistically, nevermind to the eye.

The embarrassing post is you.

The last 30 mins of today’s game took me back to 2016 and LVG. Slow, unimaginative and sideways passes while almost playing for the draw. Ten Hag is on a short leash and results need to improve or he should be rightfully sacked.

Martinez need to be told off walking with the ball and side way passing needlessly when were 0-0. The way he played as if we were leading a few goals and trying to waste time. FFS

Showing progress as a team im happy and I think by Christmas we will be fairly well drilled.

It's like we take pride in finding new ways to not win. Last season, it was conceding 20+ shots game and not being able to play out the back effectively. So we invest heavily in defense, and it's clear to see the improvements. Shots conceded have reduced to about half and we rarely lose the ball in defense.

This season however, seems we have a new focus: 17 big chances missed, highest in the league. We need at least one high level attacker brought it.

This game we definitely should have won. The personnel we had on after the subs, was just odd. They were better suited to a transitional game with space in behind, which Palace was never going to give us.

I understand the frustration, but we are literally facing one of our bogey teams. We still ended up looking like the better side at their ground, and if not for Henderson, we would've left with all 3 points.

While I'm far from thrilled, it's not the disaster some of the posters are trying to paint this.

With that being said, ETH needs to work on his subs and get to know his players more. It's clear as day, that Rashford and Hojlund don't work together as they are both more like finishers rather than creators. And for the love of God Erik, drop Bruno already and move Eriksen up the pitch while he is enjoying some good form.

Aside from that, not a bad showing, however could be better.

Spurs are a one trick pony. Our defence should be able to keep them out. Mazraoui‘s subtle but cynical fouls yesterday were great in relieving pressure Palace tried to build up. Arsenal, City and Liverpool have been doing this and getting away with it for so long that it is nice to see a utd player following suit.

Villa do look good and has a backup striker scoring for fun.

Positive is they play Bayern before hosting us. Think the emotion of that occasion is likely to take a lot out of them so no reason why we can't maintain last season’s hold over them.

I understand the frustration, but we are literally facing one of our bogey teams. We still ended up looking like the better side at their ground, and if not for Henderson, we would've left with all 3 points.
No such thing as bogey teams, started off as a joke and now it's become a silly excuse. Palace are 16th and winless this season, the aren't some impressive scalp.