Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
And yet people wanted a left back rather than a goalscoring forward…

Said months ago we would have another terrible season if we didn’t get a goalscorer in. This should be obvious to those making the decisions, not just a nobody like me
I’ve been saying this for years, United need a proper number 9, Rasmus should be back up and. Zirkzee alternative 3rd option.

57 games seems like such an arbitrary number, but I guess it's take from a point in time to ensure Utd have a negative goal difference.

In the last 78 games, only 3 teams have accumulated more league points than Man Utd.
Under EtH we have a +11 GD. A bit better than the arbitrary point chosen there, but still horrondeous.

If Tuchel or De Zerbi were to come in, the same people crowing for ETH departure would be doing the same thing again in 2-3 years time for the new guy. Whatever happened to having patience? People were saying Arteta should be sacked only a few years ago also. Now, those people are quiet.

You could have learned a language with the time you have done this WUM to absolutely no effect over the years. Seems like a mistake.

You’d be lucky to get £150m, it’s time for ETH to be told, lose against Southampton your sacked!
We'd get most of the summer spend back for now. The rest we'd struggle to get much for.

None have increased in value that's for sure.

Yea media will always like to paint narratives like they want to. They might have some even more arbitrary stats that they can pull out to paint us more in a negative light.

But it cannot be argued that we went backwards since ETH's first season and that is a real concern. At the minimum, we had an impeccable home record back then. Seems like even that is gone now.

Aye, it's too easy and all for clicks and likes, even regular journalists taking the piss with questions about coaching. People creaming themselves over Slot and Liverpool, from the games I've seen the players are playing off Klopp's style from muscle memory. Next season he's going to have to replace several key players, we'll see how he gets on.

I think the backwards trend is more to do with squad upheaval than anything else, people need to have a bit more patience, you don't turn around 10 years of rot in 2 summers.

Tactics is more than just applying a shape, it's about how you use and apply the shape. Talking about. 4231, 316 or any other formation is useless without taking into account how it's set up and applied.
I don't think Casemiro was instructed to pass to them when he has at least two teammates open, including Mainoo for the progressive pass but also a pass backwards on if not feeling it

I don't think Casemiro was instructed to pass to them when he has at least two teammates open, including Mainoo for the progressive pass but also a pass backwards on if not feeling it

He wasn't, infact if you watch the game back ETH sent DeLigt on the field with instructions for Casemiro after he gave the ball away a couple of times before the first goal after I think Mazraoui got injured

Casemiro at his peak had at least one of Modric/Kroos dropping deep to play out from the back. It's not his strength. He's not going to be able to dictate play on his own in that position. Its been pretty clear during his time here.

Frustrating that ETH doesn't seem to change from this strategy. Mainoo dropping deeper would seem far more logical, either alongside Casemiro or in place of him.

Ugarte not quite in, McT Amrabat out too quick was the problem on Sunday.

But who identified Dutch/Ex-Ajax DeLigt, Mazrouri and Zirkzee?

McTominay wouldn't have made a difference yesterday, let's be honest here.

Not convinced RVN is an Ineos man. Besides, he’s part of the problem. The coaching team as a whole are clearly not getting EtH to change his formations or tactics - presumably they are coaching to those crazy tactics. If EtH goes we need a complete break and a new coaching team. Problem is that’s expensive.
So it’s the coaching team? INEOS have just brought them in. Let’s rewind back to Ole days when his coaching team also got a lot of criticism yet one got back to back promotions with Ipswich and the other isn’t doing to bad with Middlesbrough.

Casemiro at his peak had at least one of Modric/Kroos dropping deep to play out from the back. It's not his strength. He's not going to be able to dictate play on his own in that position. Its been pretty clear during his time here.

Frustrating that ETH doesn't seem to change from this strategy. Mainoo dropping deeper would seem far more logical, either alongside Casemiro or in place of him.

Not only that. Cas has been pretty decent when he is one of the more advanced midfielders playing one-twos, winning the ball back quickly and being allowed to make short easy passes to keep things going. He is even a decent header who could add a threat coming in late for crosses. The one thing he most certainly can not do is make medium to long range passes at ease and carry the ball past players consistently.

I wish people stopped caring about GD all that much. It means very little and wouldn't be an issue at all if we got the points. I'd rather lose 7-0 once than 1-0 three times

GD isn't the problem in and of itself. It's simply a symptom of the much bigger problem. Under ETH we aren't great at scoring and we've generally been terrible at defending.

We finished last season with a negative GD. We scored/conceded roughly as many goals as the teams that finished 10th-13th.

I cant understand how any Man Utd fan can still be defending him at this point, after 2 years and 600m of new players we are worse than we was when he arrived.

Casemiro apparently claimed Erik's tactics dont help him and expose his weaknesses

Casemiro is right, Id be furious if it was me.

Aye, it's too easy and all for clicks and likes, even regular journalists taking the piss with questions about coaching. People creaming themselves over Slot and Liverpool, from the games I've seen the players are playing off Klopp's style from muscle memory. Next season he's going to have to replace several key players, we'll see how he gets on.

I think the backwards trend is more to do with squad upheaval than anything else, people need to have a bit more patience, you don't turn around 10 years of rot in 2 summers.
I think ETH will get until the next international break to see some progress. Players should be coming back, should have a bit more time for the new players with the team. Don't think the new leadership team would tolerate this kind of form for any longer.

I see a little bit of progress from last season but that is not enough at all. He needs to start getting a lot more out of this squad.

I think ETH will get until the next international break to see some progress. Players should be coming back, should have a bit more time for the new players with the team. Don't think the new leadership team would tolerate this kind of form for any longer.

I see a little bit of progress from last season but that is not enough at all. He needs to start getting a lot more out of this squad.
Assuming we get Shaw and Holjund in a couple of weeks, in about a months time he will bring out the excuses of them not being fit and still being integrated into the team along with Ugarte of course.

Casemiro is right, Id be furious if it was me.
When was the last time our players took some responsibility? If the tactics expose your weakness you don’t have to compound them by playing stupid passes and trying to act like Scholes.

If managers got a clean slate every new season, with the only requirement they brought in new players and staff then no one would be sacked ever.

ETH survived last season by the skin of his teeth and i think most fans needed to see fundamental improvements across the board to be convinced by him. Getting embarrassed at home by fecking Liverpool isnt what we needed.

Its not even about the results. This version of United is the most anemic, pedestrian shite ive ever had the displeasure of watching. And this season is no different

The worst part for me though is his comments about "being 2nd to City in trophies". Like what the feck kind of nonsense is that. Either hes arrogant and deluded beyond comprehension or hes having some sort of mental breakdown
I'm not saying all managers get a clean slate every season. My point is that since so much is different this season compared to last I think it's reasonable to have a reset of sorts. I actually have much higher expectations this season than I did last season because there's a new coaching staff, new structure, and we just had a pretty dang good transfer window. As I've said before if by Christmas time we're still getting similar results and performances then he should be sacked. I basically have the same expectations now for EtH as I would for any new manager coming in under a proper structure.

Well he's had 5 windows and 3 pre-seasons so far. How much time does he need to rectify this decade or problems?

That short term move was effective for first season and unfortunately whoever is responsible for spending that money on Casemiro is to blame. It was only the Caraboa I know, but it was still nice to actually see United win a trophy again.

Your point I bolded, I brought that up in my reply to @GreatDane. That I think is something that should be looked into. That's what my biggest worry is but we don't know for sure yet if last season was just a bizarre amount of bad luck with injuries or Ten Hag's/Coaches fault. Can't include Shaw with that because he hasn't been right with any manager since his serious injury.

Nice chat lads, on my second last post in the mains until 12am so I'll have a look at another thread and will reply later :D
Nice chatting indeed, even if I can’t believe you still seem to have hope for ETH :lol:

I'm not saying all managers get a clean slate every season. My point is that since so much is different this season compared to last I think it's reasonable to have a reset of sorts. I actually have much higher expectations this season than I did last season because there's a new coaching staff, new structure, and we just had a pretty dang good transfer window. As I've said before if by Christmas time we're still getting similar results and performances then he should be sacked. I basically have the same expectations now for EtH as I would for any new manager coming in under a proper structure.
By Christmas we will be in the bottom 3 if ETH is still in charge, that there is little or no improvement from the end of last season should mean that we are not waiting until Christmas to make the cut, you can see already that this is not working, he has had long enough and players enough to have done better

So you feel that Casemiro’s individual errors are what cost United the game?

Liverpool are a better, more experienced side and had far more quality particularly up front so were more likely to win than not, but we can get a result against them, as we did last year, but not if we make bad decisions

All this in 3 transfer windows. How can anyone not see the madness in retaining this guy beyond today? This is the equivalent of blowing £600m as a trader at a large bank. He would not only have been fired by now, he would have been taken to court by the bank.

He hardly played him last season. :lol:

We‘ve known for months Amrabat wasn‘t coming back. Fake news. As for Ugarte: Ten Hag wanted to keep McT in addition to Ugarte. He blamed ffp for having to sell him.

If Ten Hag wasn‘t convinced of Ugarte, he would not be the only one. Read the Ugarte thread. But I think this might be made up bs too: we chased Ugarte for a long time.

Assuming we get Shaw and Holjund in a couple of weeks, in about a months time he will bring out the excuses of them not being fit and still being integrated into the team along with Ugarte of course.
Yea I don't think that excuse will fly with them. He's already made up that excuse for Ugarte that it will take weeks for him to be ready. I mean Berrada has been at City during a time when they have been utterly dominant. Same with Wilcox. And Ashworth got to where he is with years of experience at other clubs. They will see it for what it is.

They either feel progress is being made behind the scenes which should translate soon on to the pitch or they'll figure out that no progress is being made and he'll be gone. I have atleast that much trust in them.

Liverpool are a better, more experienced side and had far more quality particularly up front so were more likely to win than not, but we can get a result against them, as we did last year, but not if we make bad decisions
I don’t see losing the ball high in your own half should result in an interrupted attack on our goal, which most of the time ends in a goal.

Every team, week in, week out, cede possession in similar positions, do they concede like we do? Nope they don’t. Why is that? How can Liverpool pick the ball up near the half way line, travel 40 yards with no United players near them and have a shot on goal? There’s surely so much to do after winning the ball that high up?

You call it an individual error because it resulted in a goal, but the reality is the tactics leave us so exposed when we break that losing the ball at any point results in an individual error. The tactics have zero margin for error. Have you ever seen a footballer have a perfect game every week? That’s what we need for Ten Hag to win games consistently.

You can blame individuals all you want but when we get a new manager you will see that it all stops, and when we do lose the ball we won’t concede a goal every time.

I completely agree and you only need to look on the models of City and Arsenal if you ask me. But who is this coach that can elevate youth players and take us there + play in a structured system where every player in his position knows his role and what he must do?

No one knows, clubs generally follow a process of elimination. They appoint someone that seemingly has the tools, if it works they keep him and if it doesn't they quickly move to someone else.

I wish people stopped caring about GD all that much. It means very little and wouldn't be an issue at all if we got the points. I'd rather lose 7-0 once than 1-0 three times
We lost a league on goal difference, mate...since when was scoring goals meant very little? Crazy post.

Last edited:
We‘ve known for months Amrabat wasn‘t coming back. Fake news. As for Ugarte: Ten Hag wanted to keep McT in addition to Ugarte. He blamed ffp for having to sell him.

If Ten Hag wasn‘t convinced of Ugarte, he would not be the only one. Read the Ugarte thread. But I think this might be made up bs too: we chased Ugarte for a long time.

Well, he should have gotten better results last season and got us 4th so we wouldn't be in this mess.

Also, ten hag apparently no longer does recruitment, so he needs to deal with who ever Ashworth and co get in.

If the people who decided to go with him before the summer, decide to sack him after 3 matches, that would say a lot about those people.

It would mean they're feckin' idiots, in my book.
IMO it would say the opposite to me. It would signal that they learn quickly from their mistakes and don't fall for the sunk cost fallacy.

Yes, the original decision was idiotic, but nothing can change that now.

The best teams have the highest goal difference and the most points. They go hand in hand.

You can get lucky with narrow victories so points total can often mask the true attack/defence strength of a side. Like it did us last season.