Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
These are all preloaded now. Reckon the media will shoot them out systematically until he’s out the door.
As they should, he needs to be held accountable for this mess. He keeps deflecting with the ''we won trophies'' thing. We've been abysmal by every other metric.

Liverpool also played a 3-1-6 build up :lol:
Tactics is more than just applying a shape, it's about how you use and apply the shape. Talking about. 4231, 316 or any other formation is useless without taking into account how it's set up and applied.

57 games seems like such an arbitrary number, but I guess it's take from a point in time to ensure Utd have a negative goal difference.

In the last 78 games, only 3 teams have accumulated more league points than Man Utd.

If Tuchel or De Zerbi were to come in, the same people crowing for ETH departure would be doing the same thing again in 2-3 years time for the new guy. Whatever happened to having patience? People were saying Arteta should be sacked only a few years ago also. Now, those people are quiet.
Why didn't Liverpool stick with Hodgson? They were only a few months away from greatness

We will only get genuine world class players under decent coaching. World class players tend to not look that world class when the structure isn't helping them and you are very unlikely to develop a genuine world class player without a structure and system that help them.

Everything starts with coaching without decent coaching and decent executives we won't make impactful transfers, at least transfers that will make us successful. And it shouldn't even be on our minds, we have a young group of players and our focus should be on developing them into a solid core of very good to world class players, through coaching.
I completely agree and you only need to look on the models of City and Arsenal if you ask me. But who is this coach that can elevate youth players and take us there + play in a structured system where every player in his position knows his role and what he must do?

These are all preloaded now. Reckon the media will shoot them out systematically until he’s out the door.

Or the team & manager stops giving them ammunition.

Can't really complain about the fact that outlets are exclaiming how shit you are when you're shit.

The first season we got spanked by Pool 0-7 and punished in the EL by Sevilla, so I wasn’t really particularly happy despite Carabao Cup. It was okayish, but not a big improvement over Ole. Second season was absolutely terrible with some of the most embarrassing results and performances I’ve seen since following the club in ‘99, the CL exit was blasphemous and the FA cup doesn’t really salvage the year of disgusting football. So I’ve personally seen enough
Sure but that's one game. He ended a 6 year trophy and finished 3rd in the League. Surely you were happy with his first season? Yes, second was terrible but he's not the biggest blame for it. And yeah, winning cups are nice and all but it's the League and CL that are important but my point is, I really don't think it's fair to blame him for all the circumstances last season.

Everyone last year were blaming the Glazers, backed him for the FA Cup final and all of a sudden last season was Ten Hag's fault.

‘Erik ten Hag says he isn’t Harry Potter. Truth is, he isn’t even Graham Potter.‘ - Oliver Holt in The Daily Mail

Getting battered by the press. The club backed him with the contract extension but they won’t watch another season go to shit they will pull the trigger if it doesn’t change quick.

Nine, Dutch, Ex Ten Hag player, or ex Eridivsie players, he's also had Weghorst and Amrabat, wanted Arnautovic, and was desperate for De Jong.

Such a small minded manager when it comes to buying players, and it should have been niped in the bud ages ago.

Sure but that's one game. He ended a 6 year trophy and finished 3rd in the League. Surely you were happy with his first season? Yes, second was terrible but he's not the biggest blame for it. And yeah, winning cups are nice and all but it's the League and CL that are important but my point is, I really don't think it's fair to blame him for all the circumstances last season.

Everyone last year were blaming the Glazers, backed him for the FA Cup final and all of a sudden last season was Ten Hag's fault.
You cant blame him for his tactics? What's the point of him then?

And yet people wanted a left back rather than a goalscoring forward…

Said months ago we would have another terrible season if we didn’t get a goalscorer in. This should be obvious to those making the decisions, not just a nobody like me

‘Erik ten Hag says he isn’t Harry Potter. Truth is, he isn’t even Graham Potter.‘ - Oliver Holt in The Daily Mail

Getting battered by the press. The club backed him with the contract extension but they won’t watch another season go to shit they will pull the trigger if it doesn’t change quick.

I can't understand why they even gave him an extension, he still had a year remaining on his previous deal and his performance in no way deserved an extension.

Again, his first season was okayish but I was not particularly happy, as the squad he inherited was quite good and we did a lot of short term fixes, like buying Casemiro for free 70m and putting him on monstrous wages - that's a very short-term move, and the only thing we won then was a Carabao, so not really worth it in my opinion. Finishing 3rd doesn't really impress me as much if we were 2nd just a season before and even more so in the context of finishing 8th next season.

I was blaming the Glazers for many things and I still do, but I also am fully convinced ETH has to take a large part of blame for the last season - also for the injuries, resulting from his tactics and selection

Nine, Dutch, Ex Ten Hag player, or ex Eridivsie players, he's also had Weghorst and Amrabat, wanted Arnautovic, and was desperate for De Jong.

Such a small minded manager when it comes to buying players, and it should have been niped in the bud ages ago.
I think small-minded is the perfect word to sum him up, and he also seems to lack self-awareness.

Solskjaers comments make sense now from a few years ago. I remember him saying cup competitions can hide the fact that a teams struggling.

You cant blame him for his tactics? What's the point of him then?
Some of the players were so far behind with fitness you can argue they aren't up to scratch to do the pressing Ten Hag wanted to do. Then pile on the injuries.

The one thing that maybe worries me with Ten Hag, is the training set up wrong and too intense and that's why we have so many injuries? That's what I think should probably be the concern with Ten Hag or the coaches. It's hard to implement tactics with a squad full on injuries and players not up to scratch.

I think season 2 is unfair to blame only Ten Hag for. Last season it was the Glazer's fault (which years of misguiding the club) but now fans are changing their minds and it's Ten Hag's fault all of a sudden.

Glad the press are sinking the boots into the smug cnut.

Sooner he gets binned, the better.

Again, his first season was okayish but I was not particularly happy, as the squad he inherited was quite good and we did a lot of short term fixes, like buying Casemiro for free 70m and putting him on monstrous wages - that's a very short-term move, and the only thing we won then was a Carabao, so not really worth it in my opinion. Finishing 3rd doesn't really impress me as much if we were 2nd just a season before and even more so in the context of finishing 8th next season.

I was blaming the Glazers for many things and I still do, but I also am fully convinced ETH has to take a large part of blame for the last season - also for the injuries, resulting from his tactics and selection
That short term move was effective for first season and unfortunately whoever is responsible for spending that money on Casemiro is to blame. It was only the Caraboa I know, but it was still nice to actually see United win a trophy again.

Your point I bolded, I brought that up in my reply to @GreatDane. That I think is something that should be looked into. That's what my biggest worry is but we don't know for sure yet if last season was just a bizarre amount of bad luck with injuries or Ten Hag's/Coaches fault. Can't include Shaw with that because he hasn't been right with any manager since his serious injury.

Nice chat lads, on my second last post in the mains until 12am so I'll have a look at another thread and will reply later :D

Last edited:
Folks moaning "the structure" are 100% disingenous. Liverpool literally beat us set up in a 3-1-2-4 build up identical to ours. Difference is the players operating as their 1"' (MaCalister and Gravenberch rotatinc) NEVER gifted us the ball at any point mid build up under no pressure. To leave them 6 on 3 at the back vs our attack. Then when United did win the ball from them vyjng excellent pressing sequences, poor final ball and rubbish finishing are ALL that ensured Liverpool were not punished with goals like they punished United. Not Slot's tactics, set up, hard work nor better knowledge his players had of each other.

57 games seems like such an arbitrary number, but I guess it's take from a point in time to ensure Utd have a negative goal difference.

In the last 78 games, only 3 teams have accumulated more league points than Man Utd.
Yea media will always like to paint narratives like they want to. They might have some even more arbitrary stats that they can pull out to paint us more in a negative light.

But it cannot be argued that we went backwards since ETH's first season and that is a real concern. At the minimum, we had an impeccable home record back then. Seems like even that is gone now.

It almost felt like Collyer was playing McTominay role, for a moment he was the most advanced player, we actually created a chance when Mainoo played the pass and he headed down to Zirkzee. I think later on he was playing a bit deeper.
I think we should have used the 3-2 structure more than the 3-1 yesterday. Liverpool were pressing like crazy, and we all know United shit the bed when pressed high, we have been discussing that all summer(I know I have!). As long as we have a #6 who is not comfortable in the ball in the 3-1 shape, we are vulnerable to the ball being nicked and us being exposed. Its why Mainoo was moved there, but I think Dalot/Maz should have inverted more to help him out, but Salah/Diaz keeping width made it difficult.

Some of the players were so far behind with fitness you can argue they aren't up to scratch to do the pressing Ten Hag wanted to do. Then pile on the injuries.

The one thing that maybe worries me with Ten Hag, is the training set up wrong and too intense and that's why we have so many injuries? That's what I think should probably be the concern with Ten Hag or the coaches. It's hard to implement tactics with a squad full on injuries and players not up to scratch.

I think season 2 is unfair to blame only Ten Hag for. Last season it was the Glazer's fault (which years of misguiding the club) but now fans are changing their minds and it's Ten Hag's fault all of a sudden.
Ten Hag has us playing the worst football I can remember in 40yrs of supporting this club. Some of the tactics and decisions he makes are just laughable, most clubs play better football than us and have a system of playing that works for them and that’s with what most would class as inferior players and managers. He’s into his 3rd year and he’s still not been able to get us playing as a team or fix the blatant issues with his tactics that everyone can see.

Folks moaning "the structure" are 100% disingenous. Liverpool literally beat us set up in a 3-1-2-4 build up identical to ours. Difference is the players operating as their 1"' (MaCalister and Gravenberch rotatinc) NEVER gifted us the ball at any point mid build up under no pressure. To leave them 6 on 3 at the back vs our attack. Then when United did win the ball from them vyjng excellent pressing sequences, poor final ball and rubbish finishing are ALL that ensured Liverpool were not punished with goals like they punished United. Not Slot's tactics, set up, hard work nor better knowledge his players had of each other.
There's an element of truth to this, but then again its also Ten Hag that he chose Casemiro to be the '1', a player who is not good when pressed. Casemiro's competition Ugarte has the same problems.

This is appalling, he needs to be sacked asap

Apparently, you have to believe that from next season under him United will suddenly start having 40+ GD. Just another negative season, but from next season - beware City and Arsenal. :lol:

Ten Hag has us playing the worst football I can remember in 40yrs of supporting this club. Some of the tactics and decisions he makes are just laughable, most clubs play better football than us and have a system of playing that works for them and that’s with what most would class as inferior players and managers. He’s into his 3rd year and he’s still not been able to get us playing as a team or fix the blatant issues with his tactics that everyone can see.
I was thinking to myself that he has been in charge of 79 league games and over 100 games in all competitions for United, how many times have you watched a game & thought that wow we look so good and properly destroyed our opponents. Honestly could count on one hand if any

Can’t rebuild the whole squad in one summer. We fixed CDM and central defense this summer. Hopefully we focus on play makers and box to box midfielders next summer.
I saw a lot of people making comments like this .
We've fixed nothing until we see the proof!

I think these are the type of people to act sooner rather than later. I still believe RVN was brought in as coach incase the worse happened and they sacked ETH. That’s planning ahead.
Not convinced RVN is an Ineos man. Besides, he’s part of the problem. The coaching team as a whole are clearly not getting EtH to change his formations or tactics - presumably they are coaching to those crazy tactics. If EtH goes we need a complete break and a new coaching team. Problem is that’s expensive.

This is appalling, he needs to be sacked asap

Yet we still haven't really bought any goals for this season, in fact on paper we have got rid of two first team attackers, and replaced them with one, who has no history of scoring very many goals.

This is a bit mad even with a new manager who might get more out of the forwards, but with the same manager it seems crazy, even if we play well you just can't see where the goals are going to consistantly come from.

No, I’ve firmly said last season was largely a Ten Hag failure over anything else.

We went into months of debating in the injury threads too but mine (and many others) opinion was largely that regardless of injuries our tactics were non-sensical and pretty much 0 adjustments were made until the very end of the year, and having a fit Shaw or Martinez wasn’t going to change that just like buying more players this summer wouldn’t either.

Even our “improvements” with regards to our start to this season were largely off the back of a gimmicky setup (playing Mount and Bruno up top to lead the pressing structure) that wasn’t sustainable as an every day thing and once their legs ran down in the 60th minute onwards the matches against Fulham and Brighton turned predictably into basketball games. While many of us that wanted him sacked were yelled at it was all the fault of the Glazers, or Murtough, or bad injury luck, or Casemiro, or Rashford, and yet here we are still struggling to show any sort of sustainable style of play (“high risk pressing and leaving 2 mids on an island” isn’t sustainable) while lacking any sort of patterns in attack even though we structure our attacking shape like a JDP team. But sure let’s point to Arteta or laugh at Arsenal and delude ourselves into believing we’d rather come in 8th with embarrassing league and UCL campaigns while winning a cup than narrowly missing out on the league and “being trophy less”

It’s been so blatantly obvious that ETH lacked a clear idea of HOW to succeed in this league when instituting his “style” since Wolves last season, and just because we can keep buying a feck load of players doesn’t change that.

Why would you give him until the end of October when he's been serving this rubbish since we won the league cup in his first season. I just don't understand why United fans want to constantly give failed managers more time. For what? Have you not seen enough?
I personally would have sacked him in the summer, but if he can string 4-5 wins together he buys more time, we both know he won’t so looks like he’ll be gone after the next three games however Wilcox has been working with him now since April so surely they have a replacement in mind!

I dislike Holt, but fair fecks that is a belter of a comment :lol:

Apparently, you have to believe that from next season under him United will suddenly start having 40+ GD. Just another negative season, but from next season - beware City and Arsenal. :lol:

I cant understand how any Man Utd fan can still be defending him at this point, after 2 years and 600m of new players we are worse than we was when he arrived.

Casemiro apparently claimed Erik's tactics dont help him and expose his weaknesses