Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
I see. A new concept for United than. I hope it works.
Someone quite sometime ago did a great post on it that clearly made the distinction between the two roles.

Of course I can’t find it now but basically it was saying the sporting director tends to have a broader, more strategic role, focusing on overall club development and recruitment.

The technical director is more involved in the specific technical and tactical elements of football operations once all those people are within the club.

So based on that it would be Ashworth pulling the trigger

INEOS have decided to back this guy. But they didn’t want to. This isn’t their man. I think they’d prefer their own guy but they decided to back him because there was no one suitable to take over. At the first possible chance they’ll get rid and bring in their own man. But it has to be someone who can play what they want and play with the squad we’ve currently got.
100% but what’s more important is the pressure on them if the results are really terrible and the season will be hard to salvage - we are on two loses in three games, say we win against Southampton but lose against Palace away and then to Spurs at home, is this enough to kick him immediately, rather than just wait before a proper candidate is found?

I think he would have been sacked last season had it not been for the takeover. I hope he doesn't have a completely 'clean slate' with INEOS and they factor in last season's mess when making a decision.

They were briefing before the Cup that he was a goner but bottled it after we won the final. So I would hope it's being taken into account.

100% but what’s more important is the pressure on them if the results are really terrible and the season will be hard to salvage - we are on two loses in three games, say we win against Southampton but lose against Palace away and then to Spurs at home, is this enough to kick him immediately, rather than just wait before a proper candidate is found?
I think these are the type of people to act sooner rather than later. I still believe RVN was brought in as coach incase the worse happened and they sacked ETH. That’s planning ahead.

I see. A new concept for United than. I hope it works.
Does this help?

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5278752/2024/04/02/jason-wilcox-manchester-united/

And this is what the club said in their statement :

He will work with all technical areas of the football department to achieve the highest standards of performance.

I think all the behind the scenes staff changes related to the football department will have his saying on it. And whether ETH is doing his job upto the mark is for Ashworth and Berrada to decide I think.

I said his success was built on the defence that Potter had built, which is demonstrated in the fact that the more time they worked with De Zerbi the more goals they conceded. The sweet spot was when the team was a mix of Potter's good defence and rubbish attack, and De Zerbi's good attack and rubbish defence.

The injuries were at least partly a consequence of the football approach being unsustainable in both the league and Europe,

But hey, if you're happy with a manager that sets a team up to pass out from the back, and makes them concede the most in the league outside of the relegated teams, putting together a run of relegation form in the second half of the season due to an unsustainable brand of football, then you're gonna love a certain bald Dutch manager at United.

Sorry but that's laughable. Potter posted a variety of different ways and set up differently to de Zerbi. So you believe they just got worse when they forgot Potter's training? They picked up de Zerbis play pretty instantly, but just not the defensive bit?

If you watched Brighton you'd know the defensive injuries they had throughout their team. I think Estupinan still isn't back playing yet, Lamptey was missing most of the season, they had CBs in midfield, CBs out injured, their entire front three missing... you don't even think it's possible that they just struggled without most of their first choice players? They don't have the depth we do, and even our depth was apparently the reason for our poor season

I think these are the type of people to act sooner rather than later. I still believe RVN was brought in as coach incase the worse happened and they sacked ETH. That’s planning ahead.
I’d hope so and I also believe it’s the case - INEOS is rational in their decisions in business and sports, and that would be a rational thing. It also only makes sense for RVN to take a step down from being a manager to just a coach if he was promised the interim role when ETH inevitably fails. It all clicks in my head, but I’ve been surprised (to say the least) a lot by the decisions of United management over the last decade, so I try not to get ahead of myself :lol:

INEOS have decided to back this guy. But they didn’t want to. This isn’t their man. I think they’d prefer their own guy but they decided to back him because there was no one suitable to take over. At the first possible chance they’ll get rid and bring in their own man. But it has to be someone who can play what they want and play with the squad we’ve currently got.
I don'y think they have 'backed' him. Quite the opposite. They're letting him fall on his sword.

Does anyone even look forward to our games with this fraud in charge? I am personally dreading them every week out of fear of embarrassment. Eg we play Southampton next and would it even surprise anyone to see them pick up their first points of the season against us, or even win the game? And for that matter would anyone be actually shocked if they were to smash us 3-0? I wouldn’t say it’s completely impossible, our even that unlikely that they will get points against us.

Palace, Spurs and Villa I’m sure we won’t even be below evens to win these games, probably won’t even be favorites against Spurs and Villa at all. And then it’s Brentford who have casually outplayed us for the last two years, West Ham where we haven’t got a point or a goal under ETH and Chelsea who are probably better than us too.

But fortunately it’s then Leicester, Ipswich and Everton in consecutive games in November where the great Erik, our most precious manager ever, will have the chance to redeem himself getting 5 or maybe even 7 points.

It’s gotten to the point where I look forward to watching some individuals (new signings, Amad, Mainoo etc ) more than the broader team just because I know the team performance won’t be very exciting, and at worst will just embarrass ourselves again like on Sunday.

I’m not even mad anymore (except at our stupid fecking supporters that wrote fecking petitions to the club after a single cup final to keep this fraud), but I’m more just tired of year over year watching Liverpool pump us while Bruno hammers passes into their shins, we give the ball away endlessly and concede shockingly easy goals, and Rashford and the forward line is as inefficient as ever with their final third end product and creativity.

It’s no longer infuriating for me, just exhausting.

If you wanted to keep him after the cup final but want him to go after yesterday, then I'm sorry but you are stupid. Nothing has changed that should alter your position. We lost to a better team yesterday because they have a very good midfield and we don't. It's pretty much that simple. ETH was not the one handling summer recruitment.

So the new hierarchy are coincidentally identifying Dutch/Ex-Ajax players then?

He’s not going anywhere until Christmas
No chance.

Next PL fixtures in September/October

Soton (A)
Palace (A)
Spurs (H)
Villa (A)
Brentford (H)
West Ham (A)

I'd be gobsmacked if he hasn't been sacked by West Ham.

There are a few teams in there that could easily embarrass us.

I agree that Collyer's introduction had messy instructions. He was clearly instructed to go join the attack like McTominay was.

Broadly speaking though, Mainoo and Casemiro have been holding the fort together with less isolation - this was seen vs Fulham and Brighton and credited as a positive change by pundits.
I would agree but the system needs to be bit more conservative. Its not just Mainoo position, both Fullbacks were almost in Liverpool half when Casemiro misplaced the pass for the first goal. I can understand one side attack but not both. Thats why there was no one to challenge Diaz for header. Casemiro did feck up but you are allowed one or two misplace passes like that. Getting countered after misplacing the pass from that position shows that entire setup was way too aggressive

In 3rd goal, Mainoo and Dalot were surrounded by atleast 4 Liverpool player. But Collyer and Mazraoui were so far ahead on left side that Salah had a free run. Mind you it wasn’t the counter, it was simple ball win for the 3rd goal. But if you tune in after Mainoo lost the ball, you would think attack happened after an attempt on Liverpool goal.

I am not on bandwagon to get Erik sacked but if he does not alter this and bring his ego in between ( his responses after being questioned in media was disappointing ), then i dont see any other future than him getting sacked by December

It's not like this scenario wasn't in the cards, Brighton is ETH boogey team and Liverpool lose was always expected.

I think the only thing that could save him was a good start. A bad start was always going to turn fans against him, his position was always super weak.

Standards in the mud

It’s gotten to the point where I look forward to watching some individuals (new signings, Amad, Mainoo etc ) more than the broader team just because I know the team performance won’t be very exciting, and at worst will just embarrass ourselves again like on Sunday.

I’m not even mad anymore (except at our stupid fecking supporters that wrote fecking petitions to the club after a single cup final to keep this fraud), but I’m more just tired of year over year watching Liverpool pump us while Bruno hammers passes into their shins, we give the ball away endlessly and concede shockingly easy goals, and Rashford and the forward line is as inefficient as ever with their final third end product and creativity.

It’s no longer infuriating for me, just exhausting.

I am beyond caring for the games, especially big games, we've become a game where oppo players toy with us, especially the current lot, they seem spineless and breakdown at the first adversity, and most of our wins feels like oppo teams having bad days against us.

If you wanted to keep him after the cup final but want him to go after yesterday, then I'm sorry but you are stupid. Nothing has changed that should alter your position. We lost to a better team yesterday because they have a very good midfield and we don't. It's pretty much that simple. ETH was not the one handling summer recruitment.
Sorry mate, there's only so many humiliations against Liverpool I can take...

The 2 full seasons we had under Ole = +59 GD
The 2 full seasons we had under Mou = +65 GD
The 2 full seasons we had under LVG = +39 GD
Total GD in our 3rd season after 2 full seasons under ETH = +11 GD.

That's all I am going to say

It's not like this scenario wasn't in the cards, Brighton is ETH boogey team and Liverpool lose was always expected.

Losing to Liverpool at home wasnt expected at all when they failed to beat us in 3 attempts last season and had no new players in their squad

I wish people stopped caring about GD all that much. It means very little and wouldn't be an issue at all if we got the points. I'd rather lose 7-0 once than 1-0 three times

Has anyone pointed out to him that he won the FA Cup because he changed from this lunatic tactic against City in the final?
Yeah, in that instance pragmatism won and our players are far more comfortable with that style of counter attack (Bruno and Rashford as we know, can play that style very well). He did say last season that he wanted us to move away from that style but he's clearly not good at implementing this change, even with the money spent.

As someone else said, he wanted to go toe to toe with Liverpool and got slaughtered. The plan isn't working, and the risks taken are bringing no rewards.

Slot didn't need to have transfers etc. to impose his style of football in Liverpool. Screw our player transfer decision making, Eric Ten Fraud has had 3 years with the team and there's still no style of play. Cut the losses, Sack him.

SMH! Anything we haven’t done in history (in a bad way) I’m sure he will find a way to do it the longer he stays here.

I wish people stopped caring about GD all that much. It means very little and wouldn't be an issue at all if we got the points. I'd rather lose 7-0 once than 1-0 three times
I get your point but I also watch this sport for some pleasure and excitement. And it’s not like the results are any good bar the second grade cups

I'm sorry you dont understand the concept of trophies. I'm sorry for you.

We cant score goals, we cant defend and the midfield ran off every United fan with trypophobia. And now we dont have a superman keeper to drag us out the shit when the little organisation we do have goes to pot.

Other than that, I feel the project is working just fine.

Well the points total last season was also shite.

I get your point but I also watch this sport for some pleasure and excitement. And it’s not like the results are any good bar the second grade cups
Of course, the performances and results being shit is the much bigger problem, that's what I was trying to get at. His points total is terrible as well

Maybe the plan is let ETH stink up the place so much that even Southgate comes across as a good idea.

No he literally said in his post match interview that none of the goals came from a structural problem except for the third where the double six (i.e. Collyer) was out of position.

The rest of the goals were individual errors only - bad pass for the first, caught in possession second, caught in possession and Collyer out of position (the shape being incorrect) for the third.

The build up is not just 3-1-6, but also 3-2-5 and 2-3-5 depending on where the ball is, the opposition etc. Since Mainoo was taking the ball wide, Collyer was required to support in the double 6
A system is there to minimize effects of individual errors. If every bad pass can lead to a goal then the system is flowed. Yesterday, it was at least 2 times Liverpool had two more players near our box after a passing error. You can’t expect players to not make mistakes over 90 minutes.
The system ETH plays is shit. Every game a player make a mistake and we are screwed. I don’t see how you can’t see that.

A system is there to minimize effects of individual errors. If every bad pass can lead to a goal then the system is flowed. Yesterday, it was at least 2 times Liverpool had two more players near our box after a passing error. You can’t expect players to not make mistakes over 90 minutes.
The system ETH plays is shit. Every game a player make a mistake and we are screwed. I don’t see how you can’t see that.

Liverpool also played a 3-1-6 build up :lol:

What I think is most damming about Ten Hag is that our problems are basic and easily fixable and he's not addressed them. Even Ole did something different when it stopped working.

Jaysus, look how wide open the midfield is again. Same old Ten Hag suicidal tactics.
Exactly. Most of us have played football as kids or even still do and when coached we are told how can you help your team mate on the ball.... look at where Bruno and collyer are when Manoo receives that ball. 20 yards away from him.

Manoo dwells on ball as no options for a pass and is under pressure from 3 Liverpool players and ball nicked off him and goal from Liverpool seconds later.

Ten Hag must do the opposite and tells his midfielders to stay away from the man on the ball as far as possible when building up possession.