Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
I can't take this anymore. I can't see him manage one more Man Utd game. I just can't, sorry.

I will be back supporting the club once ETH is sacked. This boring football and ruining weekends have to stop for my own sanity.
Calm down, we have 3 cups to win. With Erik we will never win a PL but cups are his thing. He loves cup competitions.

Why does Gary Neville treat us like some unique entity that’s not like any other football club? Why until Christmas when he’s already had two full seasons and hundreds of millions to spend? No other club operates like this.

Are we supposed to have a collective amnesia after last season as we got beat soundly at home to mid table teams and not carry forward into this season?

There’s been god knows how many clubs that change managers early in the season over the years and go on to have good to even successful seasons. Neville just wants to keep the plane headed toward the mountain and not pull up. Enough with the borderline sanctimonious ‘we back our managers no matter what’ mentality.
He is actually projecting his failure as a manager when the discussion comes to managers. The moment he calls for a manager to be sacked after a few disappointing results, his sacking at Valencia after a few games in charge will be deemed right as well and he doesn't want to accept that. That's why he always calls for any manager to be given lot of time.

I wonder how the frequency of our losses by 2 goals or more under him stack as compared to our previous managers. It feels like Ole’s last season fundamentally broke us in this regard and ever since us getting whalloped has been normalised. Instead of fixing things, ETH has made them much worse.

The reddevils subreddit which was a massive circlejerk for him and would troll anyone anti-ten Hag seems to be finally turning on him.

I wonder how the frequency of our losses by 2 goals or more under him stack as compared to our previous managers. It feels like Ole’s last season fundamentally broke us in this regard and ever since us getting whalloped has been normalised. Instead of fixing things, ETH has made them much worse.
I would guess is much worse than the others. Mostly cause we usually put managers out of their misery a few months (in case of Moyes, almost a year) after everything broke. In case of him, he is 18 months in the job since things broke. I guess it is irrational to hate him for that (which I bloody do), considering that I think that it would have been as bad if Mourinho or Ole got another season before their sack. But luckily they didn't while EtH somehow got more time.

I can't take this anymore. I can't see him manage one more Man Utd game. I just can't, sorry.

I will be back supporting the club once ETH is sacked. This boring football and ruining weekends have to stop for my own sanity.

I would normally say don't be so pessimistic.
But the day after yesterday feels even worse.
I previously had mixed feelings about him. But I believe he has had long enough and has spent more than enough to have expected some level of improvement.
My view now is that he is most unlikely to succeed. And I now definitely believe it is time to change the manager in order to allow the new structure to succeed.
He has made too many mistakes. And I am not at all sure he knows what to do.

They're not impressive and Slot doesn't look remotely impressive. They'll be found out.

I hope so!
But I personally think they do look very good. Quite balanced.
They look good for now but not invincible. We got at them quite easily when we managed to not feck the ball away to them and really should have scored once or twice.

I agree that, if the management team decide to replace Ten Hag, it'll be as part of a long term plan. I have a great deal of faith in the new footballing structure to make rational proactive decisions rather than the reactive ones of the old regime.

But at the moment, their choice of a replacement at the moment is that there isn't one, thereby showing they don't believe there is an available alternative that will improve things for us. So you must agree with that?
No I don’t agree with that, because it’s nothing more than baseless speculation. You have no idea what they may have already decided behind the scenes, or if they have a replacement already lined up ready for if and when they pull the trigger on Ten Hag.

So it’s about as well founded an assumption as your original nonsense claim that if they appointed Ruud it would just be change for change sake. If you actually have faith in the new footballing structure the surely you’d have to admit that whoever they pick, it’s won’t be just for change sake, it’ll be because they assessed the options and think it may be an improvement on Ten Hag.

I’d make a totally shit coach but I know for sure I could build the parts of a team better than ETH. That’s not because I think I’m a genius, it’s because I’m not a total fecking idiot.

This is a coach who has doubled down on trying to build the best transition team in the league that pushes high up and squeezes teams high up to enable the counterpress and score quickly.

The reason why any of us could build this team quite easily is because Klopp set the blueprint for that with his team from 2017-21.

1. He had a sweeper keeper that was great in 1v1s and playing out from the back
  2. Athletically gifted centre backs who could defend wide spaces and had amazing recovery pace. Great in the air too to avoid long balls over the top.
  3. A midfield of pressing machines with exceptional stamina and physical qualities
  4. A front four who also pressed but had the quality to consistently capitalise on the turnovers of possession by the opponents
I can honestly say we don’t have any of these qualities. Our closest comparison to any of these positions is Onana in goal but he’s shite so his qualities are of no real benefit once you factor in his weaknesses.

The midfield setup especially couldn’t be more opposite to what Liverpool had in those years.

Ten Hag is honestly clueless. He says he wants one thing but then builds a team of parts totally ill-suited to it.

Can't be many left defending him now beyond the ones who are beyond help.

We owe him an apology… he is been much worse than we ever gave him credit for. New low records every week…

For the first two goals, Casemiro had easier options to pass but he lost the ball in dangerous positions.

First one : A simple pass was available on the right side but he played a ground pass where 4 Liverpool players were present. You cant set up your tactics to account for that kind of mistake. What you can instruct your team to do is to not overcommit. Both Fullbacks were in Liverpool half and Mainoo alongwith our entire frontline was in Liverpool half. That part is on ETH

Second goal : Casemiro lost the ball in our half but situation is not that bad. Honestly both Martinez and De ligt could have done better and not allowed Diaz to take a shot freely inside the box. No major issue with tactics. Casemiro was dispossessed easily when he had easy options to pass to.

Third Goal : Mainoo was surrounded by Liverpool players and it was obvious they were trying to win the ball back in our half but Collyer was standing in Liverpool half. This is when ball is with RB and we are just starting the attack. How can you instruct your midfielder to be in No 10 position? Also LB was almost in the same line as Collyer. Liverpool dispossessed Mainoo and now suddenly we are 4v3.

Individual mistakes did cost us all the goals but they were forced out of us because our midfielder and Fullbacks were not viable options to receive the pass because of their position. We just couldn’t stretch the play and couldnt hit long balls over Liverpool front foot press effectively.

Rodgers was sacked 8 games into the season despite having "full backing" by the owners and that turned out quite well for Liverpool in the end. Sacking ETH NOW would be knee jerk imo, but if results and performances dont improve drastically in the next month, i dont see it as some embarrasment by the owners if they sack him some time in October

Being given yet another window with yet another sizable budget means they have been more than lenient with him.
It wouldn't be embarrassing if they sacked Ten Hag today. It'd be ruthless and decisive. It'd show that they demand higher standards.

The only embarrassing thing right now is watching that bald deluded narcissist spew out utter drivel each week.

Well let's see how it plays out, obviously I'm simply speculating on Ineos being embarrassed. You would like to think they would make ruthless and decisive decisions but they dithered and kept Ten Hag on over the summer when really he should have gone.

So while I hope he turns it around I just don't see it and I think we're in for a few rough months before there's even a murmur about him losing his job.

It's honestly embarrassing watching this.

The worrying thing about this is Ten Hag might be being completely honest here and he doesn't see those issues in our play as problems.

He asks the guy to list the issues and his only defence is ''well we've won 2 trophies''. Van Gaal would have bored the tits off him for 45 minutes with an impromptu tactical seminar. He'd have probably broke out the white board.

Anything goes wrong, he puts the blame on the players. He never has any form of self awareness or honesty about his shortcomings. He does everything to make himself hated by the club's fanbase.
I honestly don't think he's right 100% ok in the head
The more time goes by, the more, objectively, he looks like a poor manager. Ajax/Eredivisie was a very long time ago in football and those credits have long since been used up. We excel at nothing and are poor at practically everything. Still.

It’s boring to breakdown now as nothing has changed since drawing the conclusions last season, but what has compounded is two preseasons in a row have made it clear that we are never prepared and things actually get even worse when the season proper starts.

There’s no area where we have improved; the correct screws turned and we still fall like a house of cards.

I thought 10 games would be the run of games for assessment, but even half of that is questionable because the problems are intrinsically connected to the football he plays.

You constantly attempt to frame everything in the kindest possible light on Ten Hag in a manner that is so absurd that it becomes annoying to debate. It's of no interest to me.

If you want to stick your fingers in your ears and pretend he's a new manager and should be given as much rope then that's up to you. He's had 2 and a half years.
My friend there is no kind light I can put on our manager after being dismantled 3-0 at Old Trafford.
My point is about how INEOS will see the situation.

What would be cowardice is completely changing your gameplan because of the risk of individual errors.

Players have bad games, when they do it's likely you'll lose unless you outclassed the opposition elsewhere.

The difference between the sides wasn't the structures, it was the quality of the individuals within the team particularly in attack, the familiarity with the structure and the physicality.

The journalist is smelling blood because of the result and the club should feck him off.

You say that like our 'gameplan' reaps benefits at the other end of the pitch to warrant being so open in midfield and to counters.

We're shite in attack and defence.

You just know how this season is going to unfold. We will have many more moments like this, but each time he gets close to a sacking - or at least will seem to be close - he will pull out one fluke result that will not necessarily be deserved but will nonetheless save him, like beat Leicester 3-2 at home or draw at Spurs. In Europe, he will win some of the games against poor opposition by a goal, will get a couple of away draws at weaker teams which will be enough to see us finish somewhere around 16th, which will obviously be considered a great achievement and progress because just a year ago we got knocked out from a poor CL group. This way he will secure his future until Christmas.

Then one of our first team players will get injured - Mainoo, Ugarte, Martinez or someone else. We will all conveniently ignore the fact that this player played too much and was hardly rested and will collectively agree that no football can be played without that one crucial player, and this will render the remainder of season meaningless. In the meantime we will get some easy EL draws and get up to QF/SF where we will be handsomely beaten by one of the decent teams left, but that won’t matter because that one crucial player would have changed everything.

Here comes the Summer, we spend another £200m because PSR is more relaxed and Erik needs 5 more players to play his football. Rinse and repeat, we start the season losing to anyone decent, scrapping through some of the weaker sides and excuses start pouring in again.

:lol: such a great judge of players

He should have been a scout with his genius recommendations in Wout, Amrabat and Antony

So his tactics are shit in defence, shite in midfield and shite in attack. Probably a good time to let him go.

The thing that pisses me off so much about him, is the way he sets up the team(specifically the midfield and fullbacks). Why are you setting them up to be so far apart each other!? It makes no god damn sense, I don't know how many times, last season and this season so far, players with the ball have no player to play to who isn't far away or just in a bad position because ETH for some reason wants the midfielders and FBs so quickly up the field and apart from the player with the ball. It makes no sense to me and I've seen it being mentioned so many times here(with clips and screenshot as well). I thought ETH was supposed to be tactically astute and a clever manager. But he just seems stubborn and out of his depth for the most part.

Personally I feel he's a "dead man walking", I don't think (unless he changes things around) he will be our manager by the end of October even.

We'll most likely go the Jose/Ole route here and wait until things are rock bottom before sacking him. I'm desperately hoping that INEOS will be more proactive.

Most likely and to be honest Ten Hag has already had 2-3 periods of worse form than what eventually got Ole and Jose sacked. It's pretty incredible that he's still in a job.

Historically we've been the slowest to pull the trigger on a failing manager, not sure if that's a hangover from Ferguson getting time or not wanting to appear as a 'sacking club' or a bit of both.

One of them is a multiple Premier League and a multiple Champions League winner and for all his flaws one of the most decorated managers of the game and for some time used to be the best in the world.
Another is a lucky lad born into a very wealthy family, elevated to his position mainly by his connections, who has never smelled and will never get close to winning the greatest trophies like the Premier League and Champions League.
Some difference I guess?

Yeah I meant more this is his 'Jose quoting the three leagues' heads fallen off moment

This argument is in bad faith because the same logic can easily be applied in reverse. We’re just a ridiculous offside call against Zirkzee that rarely happens, Zirkzee’s header being placed just a few centimeters away from Alisson, Garnacho missing an open goal against Fulham, or Bruno converting one of his two clear chances against Fulham away from having six goals in three games.

It's not bad faith because i'm simply pointing out how close it was from us to being goalless. Your argument is basically "if more of our shots went in we'd have more goals" which is obvious

Yeah I meant more this is his 'Jose quoting the three leagues' heads fallen off moment
absolutely, I also wrote here before - it was embarrassing for Jose, who is a Premier League legend and accomplished manager, but for a guy that never sniffed a Premier League and brags about a Carabao win, it's just way more embarrassing and pathetic.

You just know how this season is going to unfold. We will have many more moments like this, but each time he gets close to a sacking - or at least will seem to be close - he will pull out one fluke result that will not necessarily be deserved but will nonetheless save him, like beat Leicester 3-2 at home or draw at Spurs. In Europe, he will win some of the games against poor opposition by a goal, will get a couple of away draws at weaker teams which will be enough to see us finish somewhere around 16th, which will obviously be considered a great achievement and progress because just a year ago we got knocked out from a poor CL group. This way he will secure his future until Christmas.

Then one of our first team players will get injured - Mainoo, Ugarte, Martinez or someone else. We will all conveniently ignore the fact that this player played too much and was hardly rested and will collectively agree that no football can be played without that one crucial player, and this will render the remainder of season meaningless. In the meantime we will get some easy EL draws and get up to QF/SF where we will be handsomely beaten by one of the decent teams left, but that won’t matter because that one crucial player would have changed everything.

Here comes the Summer, we spend another £200m because PSR is more relaxed and Erik needs 5 more players to play his football. Rinse and repeat, we start the season losing to anyone decent, scrapping through some of the weaker sides and excuses start pouring in again.
And VP will still be advocating to keep him. At least till Christmas and then sack him if things do not improve. Which by that time will be Christmas of 2025, of course.

It's honestly embarrassing watching this.

The journo was spot on. He called him out on some of the things we’ve been saying. Has no one else told Erik this to his fecking face? Was he surprised cause it’s the first time he’s hearing this or has he noticed that everyone else now see the flaws in his “system”?