Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Did you see the Champions League group we got handed last year? Not only did we not qualify from that group we didn’t even come in third and go the Europa league, we came in last and went straight out of Europe. How many times has he done things that has never be done before in our history in bad ways? I’ve lost count!
Yeah but we are in the EL and only the bottom 12(?) of 36 are out at christmas. Not impossible but it would be quite the achievement.

Most likely and to be honest Ten Hag has already had 2-3 periods of worse form than what eventually got Ole and Jose sacked. It's pretty incredible that he's still in a job.

Historically we've been the slowest to pull the trigger on a failing manager, not sure if that's a hangover from Ferguson getting time or not wanting to appear as a 'sacking club' or a bit of both.

I think he would have been sacked last season had it not been for the takeover. I hope he doesn't have a completely 'clean slate' with INEOS and they factor in last season's mess when making a decision.

They kept him last season though. And decided to reward him by activating the +1 extension, effectively making his sacking cost another 9m pounds.

As much as I would like to believe that they are not fools, I am not sure they aren't when it comes to him.

That was pressure from our fans after the FA Cup win. The extension was dumb as feck though, never understood the purpose of that.

I couldn’t watch yesterday but what was the set up for this? Had we played it backwards, with Liverpool gradually pressing us more and more or was this from the keeper? Just looks an odd set up on any analysis to have so many players so far away from the ball when your CB is passing it into a CM.

It's really sad to think we're worse off than when Ole was manager.

I never thought Ole was good enough for a club aspiring to compete with the likes of Real and City for major trophies, but we had some good times with him and at the very least you could always say he was a nice, likeable bloke who put the club before himself.

Now we have a manager who not only serves up worse football, but is a bloody horrible bloke too. He's as likeable as Mourinho, but also lacks the charisma.

Why the feck he's still in the job after the shambles of last season is a farce in itself. It's unbelievable how he's managed to con so many simpletons into believing his bullshit. I guess you really can resort to Mourinho's blame game antics and get away with it, as long as you're deceptive and cunning about it

How is it possible that after 3 season and 600m spent I feel that we have worse squad and more problems? Is it just the manager is shit or we have real bigger problem?
Recruitment issue has been a problem for 10 years+. ETH has contributed to it by signing shite Dutch league players. The strategy appears to have changed this Summer but it's still clearly influenced by ETH.

Imagine thinking Amrabat was good enough for us. His hard-on for former Eredivisie players he’s managed is something else, and he’s not even good at getting the best. It’s also worrying to consider if he’ll use Ugarte properly since he’s not “his player”.
Yeah something I alluded to earlier. A midfield of Gravenberch and Alvarez would have actually been decent, and Kudus is miles better than Antony. How you manage both Antony and Kudus, then coming to a conclusion it’s fine to spend £85m on the former but not £37m on the latter is weird to say the least.

He spent £200 fecking million on Anthony, Onana and Mount. None of them have helped us in anyway since they have joined the club. He better not open his fecking mouth about not being backed by management.

I can’t believe how much money he’s been given to spend and how poorly his signings have turned out. Our squad is still midtable when it comes to talent.

Nothing to build on after he leaves. Every single position and area of the pitch needs improving. Next manager has to clear house once again and establish a new identity and style of play.

I can’t believe how much money he’s been given to spend and how poorly his signings have turned out. Our squad is still midtable when it comes to talent.

Nothing to build on after he leaves. Every single position and area of the pitch needs improving. Next manager has to clear house once again and establish a new identity and style of play.
Yeah only our striker, CDM and CBs are good enough. Every other position needs rebuild AGAIN.

How is it possible that after 3 season and 600m spent I feel that we have worse squad and more problems? Is it just the manager is shit or we have real bigger problem?
It's both. But the manager player a major part in spending that £600m badly.

He spent £200 fecking million on Anthony, Onana and Mount. None of them have helped us in anyway since they have joined the club. He better not open his fecking mouth about not being backed by management.
There were some on here that thought Mount would of been key vs Liverpool yesterday:lol:

Also, the current situation proves,

Top Management ( either good or bad ) doesn't affect the football a club plays that much on the field.

The manager is the primary point in how a team plays.

Get right on the manager and the team will play well. Probably they will not win a trophy but they will play well, get a poor manager even with best on class management you will not win anything tangible and you won't play particularly well.

Same way, getting all the best players doesn't equate good football if the manager is a poor manager.

As a club, we need to get a good manager. The top management then should insulate him from dogshit issues by buying better quality players, but now we are buying better players while the coach is handbraking the club in how it plays.

Many ageing players in the squad, some really subpar youngsters, and nearly 90% of ETH's signings have been mediocre at best.

The post-ETH rebuild is going to be slow and tough. We need an Ancellotti-like figure who's willing to spend two to three years fixing the mess before we actually start winning trophies.

He really tries to influence what happens doesn't he? He did the same thing after Ole beat PSG and saying Mourinho would get the support of OT years back. And the crowd duly complied.
“they aren’t going to do something stupid”…what a bellend he has become! Firing a manager who isn’t working isn’t something stupid. It’s the right thing to do.

Does anyone even look forward to our games with this fraud in charge? I am personally dreading them every week out of fear of embarrassment. Eg we play Southampton next and would it even surprise anyone to see them pick up their first points of the season against us, or even win the game? And for that matter would anyone be actually shocked if they were to smash us 3-0? I wouldn’t say it’s completely impossible, our even that unlikely that they will get points against us.

Palace, Spurs and Villa I’m sure we won’t even be below evens to win these games, probably won’t even be favorites against Spurs and Villa at all. And then it’s Brentford who have casually outplayed us for the last two years, West Ham where we haven’t got a point or a goal under ETH and Chelsea who are probably better than us too.

But fortunately it’s then Leicester, Ipswich and Everton in consecutive games in November where the great Erik, our most precious manager ever, will have the chance to redeem himself getting 5 or maybe even 7 points.

Does anyone even look forward to our games with this fraud in charge? I am personally dreading them every week out of fear of embarrassment. Eg we play Southampton next and would it even surprise anyone to see them pick up their first points of the season against us, or even win the game? And for that matter would anyone be actually shocked if they were to smash us 3-0? I wouldn’t say it’s completely impossible, our even that unlikely that they will get points against us.
Spent half of the last season not giving a shit when we play or who we play. Had a sense of excitement to begin this season and of course he has promptly killed that as well. Going back to old ways now.

We’ve seen this before. We’ll win a game with Mainoo, Garnacho and Amad scoring and his name will be sung at Old Trafford again. Win two or three on the trot and we’ll get a big spike in posters believing he could be the man again.

He’s been shocking since the end of February 2023 and hasn’t recovered since except for rare plucky 3 game runs.

Yoro, De Ligt, Zirkzee, Ugarte, Martinez and Mazraoui are hardly shit players. What we need is a change in tactics. Whenever we attack we go too gung-ho which leads to huge gaps in CM when we get countered. Even prime Roy Keane would struggle with the space left a midfield were the two CM + the two wingers bomb forward
People don’t seem to process how bad a shambles the midfield setup is.

If we lose to Southampton things will get ugly and there is a reasonable chance Ineos step in, in some way.

If we lose to Southampton things will get ugly and there is a reasonable chance Ineos step in, in some way.
How would that change anything? We know where we are and we know very well we are capable of getting beaten by such teams. Whether it happens on that particular day should not really hold that much importance.

That was pressure from our fans after the FA Cup win. The extension was dumb as feck though, never understood the purpose of that.
My theory is that it was the easiest thing to do at the time.

Don't think we could afford a sacking pre-PSR deadline with how much we haggled over Ashworth and we couldn't do nothing till July 1st either.

Extension was the most logical option with the fan/media pressure to do something at the time.

Yeah i was watching all the goals again, and one thing you can notice is the position of Mainoo, 2 full backs and Bruno. They are way too advanced.

He wants to have quick transition but that doesn’t mean surrendering any control of the midfield. If ETH doesn’t realise this, then its over for him.

No midfielder in the world can play such suicidal tactics. That doesn’t absolve Casemiro as he was atrocious. But ETH needs to alter the position his midfield and fullbacks take and allow for mistakes like the one Casemiro did for first goal

There’s some semblance of a team coming together under ineos, eth has to change the tactics or he will be sacked but good thing is the potential of the team being built is there.

Nope, ETH actually said that the double six was out of position on that goal but good work :+1:
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but that is utter hogwash. It is very clearly based on Ten Hag's instruction because it happens every single game. He is clearly telling the midfielders and full backs to push up so high all the time. The difference between the positions of Liverpool's back 6 and our back 6 was so glaring.

Again you are hiding behind “give me a name”.

You tell me why sticking with eth will not make things worse and get us worse than it already is?

You talk about Ragnick but conveniently forget Ole came in as a caretaker and immediately made us look better. Did anyone think at that time his caretaker stint would be that good that he will be given the gig full time?

You won’t know till you try, but sticking with an option which is failing because you are scared is plain silly.

“More is lost by indecision than wrong decision. Indecision is the thief of opportunity. It will steal you blind.”​

I assumed that was the case at that time but I don't think I've seen anywhere reliable that they offered him a new contract.

If I'm not remembering wrong, the initial news broke out as him signing a new contract but then was quickly corrected to it being just triggering an option.
I don’t think a new contract was ever offered. Discussions broke down on potential terms of a new one, so they triggered the option.

A few of us have been bemoaning how dire it has been for a long time. The amendments have been band aids over wounds that need stitches. It gets tiring reiterating the same issues.

The biggest issue of all is a manager that has shown he doesn’t know how to fix things, nor even coach what he’s trying to implement.

Plug needs pulling. This is just a stay of execution.

ok...so the lad has one good game against city in the final and you want to keep him on a perm basis yet you barely played him all season PLUS he should that his mobility is a question

on the flip side you have a 23 yr old workhorse who's mobile, aggressive, can handle pressure on teh ball but you had to be convinced to sign him?

gotcha....now i see what we are dealing with you fecking muppet

How would that change anything? We know where we are and we know very well we are capable of getting beaten by such teams. Whether it happens on that particular day should not really hold that much importance.

For a top 4 finish;
you can see a loss to Brighton away, anyone could lose to them on their day especially so early in the season
you can lose to Liverpool, again they can beat anyone as much as any team in the league really

But realistically against Southampton its a must win after losing both of those games - three loses on the bounce the last one being an extremely winnable game against a newly promoted side - its major crisis time and I can see Ineos sending Wilcox for a word with the staff about whats going wrong

For a top 4 finish;
you can see a loss to Brighton away, anyone could lose to them on their day especially so early in the season
you can lose to Liverpool, again they can beat anyone as much as any team in the league really

But realistically against Southampton its a must win after losing both of those games - three loses on the bounce the last one being an extremely winnable game against a newly promoted side - its major crisis time and I can see Ineos sending Wilcox for a word with the staff about whats going wrong
With a win against Southampton, it will also depend on the performance. If we win 2-0 in a unspectacular, but solid performance, then that's ok, but if it's something like a 2-1 win with us hanging on a bit (see Luton away last season), it will feel like paper over cracks