Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
1) so we should give up trying to play proactive football because our players aren't getting it yet?

2) Liverpool have better players, particularly in attack and have been playing this football for much longer and more successfully

3) Slot himself has admitted he's not changed much. He might rate different players differently than Klopp a bit but otherwise he's a continuity manager

Yeah trying being the operative word here. I've yet to see us play proactive or controlling football under Ten Hag bar the odd game here and there.

The more I hear about how much ETH didn’t want Ugarte, the more excited I am about how good a signing he’s going to be for us.

The journo was spot on. He called him out on everything we be been saying. Has no one else told Erik this to his fecking face? Was he surprise cause it’s the first time he’s hearing this or has he noticed that everyone else see the flaws?
Being raised in a very privileged circumstances and always surrounding yourself by yes men can result in this - being unable to take criticism, going passive-aggressive following a very valid question, seeing the problems everywhere else but not with yourself, blaming everyone else for his own shortcomings and inabilities etc. Rather unlikeable and genuinely childish, he seems to claim that when United win it's only due to his talent, but when we lose it's never his fault :lol:

Yeah trying being the operative word here. I've yet to see us play proactive or controlling football under Ten Hag bar the odd game here and there.

So just give up and play on the counter to get a few wins and never dare to try and develop the side and young players to play our football because we can't bare the thought of a rough period, when we're likely to have a rough period anyway because the squad lacks experience and quality in attack?

The journo was spot on. He called him out on everything we be been saying. Has no one else told Erik this to his fecking face? Was he surprise cause it’s the first time he’s hearing this or has he noticed that everyone else see the flaws?
The grin and silly laughter from ETH while listening to facts makes him even more dislikable.

Imagine thinking Amrabat was good enough for us. His hard-on for former Eredivisie players he’s managed is something else, and he’s not even good at getting the best. It’s also worrying to consider if he’ll use Ugarte properly since he’s not “his player”.

Mitten also jokingly said "if you want to know what the United side will look like in 3 years time, just have a look at the current Ajax squad photo..."

The more time goes by, the more, objectively, he looks like a poor manager. Ajax/Eredivisie was a very long time ago in football and those credits have long since been used up. We excel at nothing and are poor at practically everything. Still.

It’s boring to breakdown now as nothing has changed since drawing the conclusions last season, but what has compounded is two preseasons in a row have made it clear that we are never prepared and things actually get even worse when the season proper starts.

There’s no area where we have improved; the correct screws turned and we still fall like a house of cards.

I thought 10 games would be the run of games for assessment, but even half of that is questionable because the problems are intrinsically connected to the football he plays.
The defence that started against Liverpool didn't do a whole lot wrong. The problem was the midfield. They signed Ugarte, a player who they wanted all summer and they signed him late. I'm not complaining about that because I think INEOS did well by not giving in to a huge amount of extra money for transfer fee etc... I'm just saying, that's a player United wanted and it could take a few games for him to be match fit and get used to PL etc.. The defence should be better this season, the problem is the midfield hasn't been strengthened massively.

I think next summer another midfielder is a must. Hopefully this is just a poor start to the season and they come good and there are glimpses of that. If Casemiro didn't give the ball away so bad for the two goals and United took the couple chances they got, the score line could have been different and everyone's tone would be different. You can't blame Ten Hag for Casemiro staying, he's tied down to a big contract and nobody saw value in buying him. That was down to previous board not knowing how to negotiate and left themselves in a desperate situation to get the player.

I think 10 games will give an indication of where we are going, though. They backed him to the high heavens so he's not going anywhere until at least Christmas I would imagine.

Going forward, Ten Hag must learn from mistakes. If he doesn't, then it's on him.

I can't take this anymore. I can't see him manage one more Man Utd game. I just can't, sorry.

I will be back supporting the club once ETH is sacked. This boring football and ruining weekends have to stop for my own sanity.
We are in EL so most of our games will be on Sunday afternoon. So, you don't need to worry about that.

I think 10 games will give an indication of where we are going, though. They backed him to the high heavens so he's not going anywhere until at least Christmas I would imagine.

Going forward, Ten Hag must learn from mistakes. If he doesn't, then it's on him.
Both Ole and Mou left before Christmas. We will be out of Europe and top 4 if this man stays on till Christmas. Not letting him go cause there isn’t a viable alternative right away is ludicrous. Interims work.

Sometimes lifting the dark cloud with him out of the building is enough to get an extra 10-15% off players - same thing happened when Ole took over from Mou. It’s just becomes stale. Nothing grows and players will dread coming into training every single day. They really seem to respect Ruud so not give him the reins?

How much worse can it get? With Erik we won’t qualify for Europe past group stages nor get top 4 and if Ruud doesn’t accomplish well so be it. You go out in the summer and get someone new. But you knew you at least tried something different rather than wondering what if if Erik stays the whole season.

Last edited:
Now whilst I don't blame him for everything...he is to blame for a lot because he got the players he wanted for the past 2 years.

The scary thing is that it was obvious to all in here and has been for years that our midfield is a disaster. Mainoo is good with a chance of being great but he hasn't even played a full season for us yet in probably the most important position in the team. We knew it was a problem last season so what did we do...sign Mason Mount. I actually like MM and I would honestly prefer to have him in the team to Bruno, but he was not what we needed. Same thing this season, we knew that we would probably have to sell McTominay (because we have 3 number 10s?? In which case why did we sign MM?) to make some money which meant that we have 1 fewer midfielder to use...so what do we do...wait until the last week to get Ugarte in. With Casemiro being essentially useless, we need another 2 midfielders.
It was honestly unbelievable when Gary Neville said on TV that our midfield is better than Liverpool's. Now we are basically screwed for the season and God forbid one of the current players for that position gets injured. But hey...at least we signed 2 more central defenders.
It has been a masterclass in creating a completely unbalanced squad.
I can honestly see us finishing in the bottom half if we stick with ETH.

So just give up and play on the counter to get a few wins and never dare to try and develop the side and young players to play our football because we can't bare the thought of a rough period, when we're likely to have a rough period anyway because the squad lacks experience and quality in attack?

Give up what exactly? What would we be giving up?

Ten Hag's been here for 2+ years, he's had 5 transfer windows, signed/promoted 18+ players and had 3 pre-seasons yet we're still shite. And I wouldn't describe the hybrid low block, high press, no midfield system we play as being anything remotely proactive.

If he can't get a squad he's trained for 2 years consisting mostly of his own hand picked players to play any sort of decent football, then he's obviously not capable of doing it at this club/level. Another 6/12/18 months of trying to implement whatever the feck it is Ten Hag is coaching isn't likely to change that. It doesn't take 3 years to implement a style of play.

It's not bad faith because i'm simply pointing out how close it was from us to being goalless. Your argument is basically "if more of our shots went in we'd have more goals" which is obvious
It's absolutely in bad faith, especially considering how close we were to scoring even more. I haven’t even mentioned the other low-percentage chances we created. The narrative that we were close to being goalless ignores the fact that football is a game of small margins and that the same argument applies in reverse; we were just as close to significantly increasing our goal tally.

This man has been beaten by Liverpool so many that he should at least know how to nultify their attack. Even we got beaten soundly 0-3 at home, he tries to convince everyone that we were in the game and everyone else is watching a different game. Erik is as stubborn as they come, he wishfully thinks that his tactics will work with better players. Come next season, he will convince Ineos to replace another group of players e.g. Casemiro, Rashford, Shaw, Maguire and etc. We will probably see another 4-5 players move out of United and with 4-5 new players incoming. When results isn't good, he will ask for more time. How can owners allow ETH to have so much time? We are going nowhere. I had a glimpse of Aston Villa versus Leicester. Even though AS won, I think United can't beat Leicester with the players commitment and energy. Mark my words, United will be beaten when we visit Leicester.

But why only going forward? Why forget he’s here for two full seasons and he was unable to learn from his own mistakes? Why are we allowing such repeated mediocrity and same mistakes, only to say “ok, from the next week onwards it has to change” and then keep witnessing same shit? You’d think over two full years should be enough

Asking fair questions isn’t going in hard though is it? The journalist is also watching the same games we do week and week.
The club likes everything sanitised, and having a tactical back and forth with the manager i would expect the club to not be happy with it. Im not against it, its just different to the softball questions they usually get

How is it possible that after 3 season and 600m spent I feel that we have worse squad and more problems? Is it just the manager is shit or we have real bigger problem?

The grin and silly laughter from ETH while listening to facts makes him even more dislikable.

Hate to say this, but he's been behaving like this since the start of May last season. There's a weird chip on his shoulder and he's been making truly arrogant and borderline offensive statements since that time. Fans have been bypassing it and acting like he hasn't been doing it. It's just so unlikable. Now that its becoming clear that keeping him was a bad decision, its now being recognized for what it is, petulant. Yet, our fans are so hung up on ABU media, they still struggle to see how arrogant some of the managers we've had have been. ETH's responses have been the worst IMO. As a club, we always seem to show deference to our managers, allowing them to get a sense that the club NEEDs them, rather than it being just a business relationship. It's been our worst trait post-Fergie, and every manager outside of Ole has seemed to take advantage of that respect. I actually think it should be a major factor to consider when getting a new manager. Ole, for all his faults, had a lot of respect for the club and as a media personality was well mannered. Yes, the club should not treat every manager like the new messiah, but at the same time, we should be looking to hire good mannered managers. People won't like this statement, as it would eliminate Tuchel or Nagelsmann, but I think for the type of club we are and the type of press we receive, it is really important.

I did, I just asked you to expand on "get a good caretaker in", as by itself it's a pub level statement.

Last time we got a good caretaker in was with Rangnick, a man who undoubtedly had the football nous, but his authority only lasted for 45 minutes before the players just stopped doing what he wanted.

It doesn't automatically make things better.
Again you are hiding behind “give me a name”.

You tell me why sticking with eth will not make things worse and get us worse than it already is?

You talk about Ragnick but conveniently forget Ole came in as a caretaker and immediately made us look better. Did anyone think at that time his caretaker stint would be that good that he will be given the gig full time?

You won’t know till you try, but sticking with an option which is failing because you are scared is plain silly.

How is it possible that after 3 season and 600m spent I feel that we have worse squad and more problems? Is it just the manager is shit or we have real bigger problem?

A big problem over the last decade (among many) is we give managers too much time to buy too many of their own players. If/when Ten Hag goes we'll have a job on our hands shifting a lot of the players he's signed.

Both Ole and Mou left before Christmas. We will be out of Europe and top 4 if this man stays on till Christmas. Not letting him go cause there isn’t a viable alternative right away is ludicrous. Interims work.

Sometimes lifting the dark cloud with him out of the building is enough to get an extra 10-15% off players - same thing happened when Ole took over from Mou. It’s just becomes stale. Nothing grows and players will dread coming into training every single day. They really seem to respect Ruud so not give him the reins?

How much worse can it get? With Erik we won’t qualify for Europe past group stages nor get top 4 and if Ruud doesn’t accomplish well so be it. You go out in the summer and get someone new. But you knew you at least tried something different rather than wondering what if if Erik stays the whole season.
I've been wanting rid of the man for over a year but even I don't think he'll fail that bad in the new format. We'll come in a comfortable 11th and then lose to whoever we draw first post christmas.

Has anyone pointed out to him that he won the FA Cup because he changed from this lunatic tactic against City in the final?

He seems to be using that victory, using a very different setup, to vindicate a return to the tactic that saw us finish 8th and get knocked out of Europe by Galatasary and Copenhagen.

No I don’t agree with that, because it’s nothing more than baseless speculation. You have no idea what they may have already decided behind the scenes, or if they have a replacement already lined up ready for if and when they pull the trigger on Ten Hag.

So it’s about as well founded an assumption as your original nonsense claim that if they appointed Ruud it would just be change for change sake. If you actually have faith in the new footballing structure the surely you’d have to admit that whoever they pick, it’s won’t be just for change sake, it’ll be because they assessed the options and think it may be an improvement on Ten Hag.

You seem to have misread my post about change for changes sake, which was that people in this thread calling to sack him with no idea as to what to next aren't being rational. Those saying "give it to Ruud" without any idea why that would be better are advocating for change for changes sake. At no point did I suggest that this would be the club's approach (not anymore anyway, under the previous regime the decision making was just as ill-thought-out).

I also haven't engaged in any baseless speculation. It's a matter of fact that the club haven't replaced Ten Hag yet. Whether or not they have someone lined up (if they're at all serious there should be multiple options lined up) is irrelevant to the fact that they haven't decided yet that any of those lined up will provide more benefit than sticking with the current coach right now. My personal expectation, and this bit is now speculation, is that he'll be replaced at the end of the season barring a marked and prolonged improvement in our form.

Has anyone pointed out to him that he won the FA Cup because he changed from this lunatic tactic against City in the final?

He seems to be using that victory, using a very different setup, to vindicate a return to the tactic that saw us finish 8th and get knocked out of Europe by Galatasary and Copenhagen.
There was also talk at the time that Ten Hag allowed the players to have more of an input on the tactics in that game instead of playing the way he wanted to play.

I've been wanting rid of the man for over a year but even I don't think he'll fail that bad in the new format. We'll come in a comfortable 11th and then lose to whoever we draw first post christmas.
Did you see the Champions League group we got handed last year? Not only did we not qualify from that group we didn’t even come in third and go the Europa league, we came in last and went straight out of Europe. How many times has he done things that has never be done before in our history in bad ways? I’ve lost count! If you think there isn’t a way to feck things up, don’t worry Erik ten Hag will find a way!

They've yet to concede a goal this year, and with Bournemouth, Forrest, Wolves, and Palace next, there's a good they could win their first seven games by barely conceding any goals. That's of course not to absolve ETH's tactics yesterday.

They've had a very easy start. I haven't been impressed with them, well certainly not to the levels that the media are making out, anyway.

That is actually one of the most pathetic posts I've read on this forum and that's quite a feat.

Liverpool 7 will be remembered for a long time yes, but bad results happen to everyone. Awful to happen against the most hated rival.

Trophies are the name of the game :lol:
Nope, putting in the groundwork to have a club capable of competing for and being involved in the latter stages of the biggest competitions is the name of the game for a club of our size.

Not had a sniff of a league title or challenge under Erik, which is to be expected early into a project, but the results he's overseen do not suggest anywhere near the ability to put together consistent spells of performances that could get us anywhere near that. The Carabao Cup and FA Cup cannot be allowed to be a screen for:

3-6 loss to City, 0-7 to Liverpool, 0-3 to Bournemouth at home, 0-4 to Palace, 0-3 at home to Newcastle in Carabao.

They're the stark results but then the amount of ridiculous capitulations too - 4-3s in the Champions League, 4-3 to Chelsea etc.

It's madness repeating itself and someone needs to call this out - I was glad the journo pressed him on it and I wish he'd have shot back with these results because Ten Hag is resting on 2 cup wins