Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
By not sacking him when we should, at the end of the previous season, with a whole summer to look for a proper replacement, now we will be, again, like always, in a precarious position:
- We keep him and hope for the best, which may never come.
- We sack him and we hire an interim which means another year to the trash bin
- We sack him and we hire whoever is available and willing to come to our roller coaster

Either way, it's bad.

I think that where a lot of people are at right now is that they are far more confident in any reasonable interim manager than with him. His decisions being so baffling and the football being the standard it is would be very easy to improve upon.

That obviously has additional problems in that if an interim comes in and does a decent job then the questions start to arise about giving him the permentant job. I'd hope Ineos would be strong enough not to do so if they identify someone for the long term.

Anyway I'm not as angry as most as I pretty much presumed this season another write off when they announced he was staying. I hope we can at least score a couple of nice goals along the way so there is something to enjoy.

I would be shocked if they got rid of him. He shouldn't still have a job but I doubt they will do it now when they didn't in the summer. Shame but we are where we are.

To be fair, they followed fan sentiment and the overwhelming noise. It was the easier of the choices, and it doesn't reflect great on them, but I see why they did it, riling the fanbase would have heaped pressure on them instantly. I expected and hoped for a more cold and clinical decision. It was needed. And now we are where we are.
I hope they didn't go by the poll on here to decide to keep Hag. Because that poll was heavily rigged by oppo fans and WUMs. No sane person would have voted keep after the debacle of last season.

Really? ETH is literary Goldbridges love child, so I bet he also said we need to back him, despite being prat of the week.
That's what shocking. Either interviews with the likes of Hojlund had eroded or he's really pissed off by ETH's performances

Doubt it'll happen before Christmas short of some even worse performances (losing to Southampton would/should be one) but it's nearly impossible to imagine him surviving the entire season when s***shows like yesterday are still possible. I do think Ugarte upgrades the midfield significantly and hides some glaring warts...but we're absolutely screwed again should he miss any time.

It's been 3 games.

It's the same as putting a seed in the ground, adding some water and saying "feck, ive done everything and its not grown yet"
Dont you think we should have seen some improvements? And I bet you we look not much better in October

From the Dutchman's mouth himself. It took a while to come to an agreement, and in the end it was just extended.
Doesn't say anywhere that INEOS offered him a new contract and he rejected it. Just says they were negotiating. Might also be the case that ETH demanded a new and longer contract but INEOS weren't onboard with that.

In any case, triggering that option was the sensible thing to do in my view. It's all on ETH to get this team to perform now. The leadership team have done their bit.

Even if Ugarte was a 10/10 player once he takes to the pitch, I don’t see it changing much other than he cuts out some of the chances by the opposition. There needs to be a whole new outlook on it and I don’t see it coming from the current manager. I refuse to believe at this point that our players are mostly shit. A considerable amount of the rubbish ones have been purged this summer so that excuse isn’t going to wash.

I have same vibes now as i had with Jose and Solskjaer at the end. Looking at our performances and not seeing how it will improve in any way.
With basically best 11, we had two even games with Fulham and Brighton and dominated by Liverpool. So what will change? Nothing.
We will not see his Ajax style here or any dominating style. Our future with him is to have 50:50 games against middle and lower clubs where both teams create only few chances and 4222 system against bigger sides where we play on a draw.

I really hope that Ineos will not react when season is already lost.

It does seem like there is little to zero confidence in the squad, and I'm not convinced ETH has the means of reinvigorating the team.

It seems like it's gotten pretty stale and that slide is next to impossible for a manager to turn around. Get him gone and hope the new manager can spark a bit of life into the team, as fickle as it may seem.

Has he gone?

Valentijn Driessen also made the statement that Lucas Moura never scores and then Moura scored the last minute winner that prevented Ajax from reaching the CL final.

He is a bad, very negative sensation 'journalist' who wants to make headlines with over the top statements or his own opinion as headline.

If Valentijn Driessen makes that statement, it means ETH will be here all season.

Doesn't say anywhere that INEOS offered him a new contract and he rejected it. Just says they were negotiating. Might also be the case that ETH demanded a new and longer contract but INEOS weren't onboard with that.

In any case, triggering that option was the sensible thing to do in my view. It's all on ETH to get this team to perform now. The leadership team have done their bit.
Well it kind of does, what is there to negotiate and what's tough about the negotiations if it's just a one year extension to the exact same deal? Ten Hag doesn't need to be involved and they don't even need to meet up with him to tell him they're extending his contract by the + 1.

Valentijn Driessen also made the statement that Lucas Moura never scores and then Moura scored the last minute winner that prevented Ajax from reaching the CL final.

He is a bad, very negative sensation 'journalist' who wants to make headlines with over the top statements or his own opinion as headline.

If Valentijn Driessen makes that statement, it means ETH will be here all season.
What was the other journos name from De Telegraaf? Vermijil or something like that. I remember that he is quiete reliable and is ETH's mouthpiece. Any ideas?

It's been 3 games.

It's the same as putting a seed in the ground, adding some water and saying "feck, ive done everything and its not grown yet"

Carragher made a great point on this, Rogers at Liverpool the year he was sacked made the same changes in pre-season (new hierarchy, director of football and backroom staff) anticipating something different and he was gone in October.

The buck stops with the manager at the end of the day, there's a new coaching team but the performances are reflective of what's being seen last season especially highlighting the midfield. It's also something Erik struggled with at Ajax as we witnessed freeze-framed images with his midfield 'collapsing' when dealing with a turnover of possession.

These are professional footballers not Sunday league hires they can adapt to change when they receive sufficient instructions on what to do. This consensus of change (coaching) taking months is something that's only reminiscent with United fan sentiment but in reality we have seen most managers impose their ideology and ideas in their first fixture for the team they have recently transitioned into.

The moment Erik decided upon himself that he was incapable of reflecting a similar ethos that was present at Ajax to this United side was the affirmation that he confined himself to a short-term trajectory and his arguments support that as he's never talking about the progression of his philosophy but his accreditation in what he's managed to win.

A bit of calm after the storm.

Fulham, Brighton, Liverpool...I'd say a Win, Draw, Lose from those 3 match would have been fair. So United are -1 point so far this season.

But this team/manager/club always finds a way to create drama and chaos at every opportunity. Failed to concentrate for 2 minutes extra time against Brighton now means they all get destroyed on socials for the next 2 weeks. Bunch of dumbarsed the lot of them.

Aim for 9, 7 or 6 ok , 5 just about acceptable, 4 disappointing, 3 or under compleatly unacceptable.

Honestly how has ETH eroded the standards so far?

There is no way he gets sacked 3 games in after backing him with a new coaching staff and players. It would look like Ineos have no clue what they are doing. They will give him at least until the next international break.

Unsure I buy into this narrative anymore - we had moments pressed up high against Brighton and Liverpool where if their deep lying player or CB made a hospital pass, they'd likely be outnumbered at the back too.

Also our shots conceded is literally not half as bad as it was last season. Vs Fulham for example we conceded around the same amount as Arsenal did vs Wolves.

There is no way he gets sacked 3 games in after backing him with a new coaching staff and players. It would look like Ineos have no clue what they are doing. They will give him at least until the next international break.

Read up his recent piece and yeah its an opinion article rather than journalistic findings. Unless we're talking about a different article.
It's been 2 and a half years and 118 matches.
Since INEOS came in he's had 1 window together with a new coaching+medical staff and that's how they'll look at the situation. They won't rage quit on him unless he fails to take off this season with wins on the board. 3 GWs is too early to call that, but I agree his time to get convincing wins on the board is right now.

Well it kind of does, what is there to negotiate and what's tough about the negotiations if it's just a one year extension to the exact same deal? Ten Hag doesn't need to be involved and they don't even need to meet up with him to tell him they're extending his contract by the + 1.
Thought I read somewhere they we trying to re-negotiate his existing contract, to downgrade his title from Manager to Head Coach and remove his veto on transfers etc. EtH wouldn’t agree so they just triggered the extension.

His tactical set ups are so bad, we always end up giving 4v2 counter attacks.

Kamikaze football. Our matches turning into basketball games even against lower level opposition is no coincidence. Newport County scored twice against us. Coventry scored 4 (with one being disallowed). We finished last in a CL group that included Galatasaray and Copenhagen.

Why are our full backs 10-15 yards in front of Liverpool's wingers?? There's no recovery speed that would allow Dalot to prevent Salah's goal with this nonsense set-up. Why is our DM up there? The gaping hole in midfield that Liverpool midfielders can exploit has been there for like 3 years.:

f91b433dc6e5c47806227e23358e008218112757.jpg

Ten Hag is probably the first manager I've seen trying to use a "glass cannon" RPG build in football. Crazy stuff

Reminder. 55 games and our win percentage is less that 50%.

These are the league stats since the League Cup Win back in February 2023. This is our long term form under Ten Hag. It's shocking and has been for so, so, SO fecking long.

Win %​
Loss %​
Games​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Pts​
Pts P Game​
49.09%​
36.36%​
55​
27​
8​
20​
76​
78​
-2​
89​
1.62​

To be fair on a new coach, I don’t think anyone will succeed without having more World Class players in the squad.

It’ll take 2 years for Garnacho to get there imo. It’ll take 2 more transferyears if not more. So no matter who the potential manager is, they wont have great succes and we’d be back to hating and blaming the manager again imo. There’s so much shit to untangle, and so much to build up after the Woodward/Glazers nightmare era.

We will only get genuine world class players under decent coaching. World class players tend to not look that world class when the structure isn't helping them and you are very unlikely to develop a genuine world class player without a structure and system that help them.

Everything starts with coaching without decent coaching and decent executives we won't make impactful transfers, at least transfers that will make us successful. And it shouldn't even be on our minds, we have a young group of players and our focus should be on developing them into a solid core of very good to world class players, through coaching.

Plenty on here wanted him to stay after the final, not a majority, but a good number.
It was 50/50 in terms of votes. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, they may have tended towards keeping him after the FA Cup :eek:

It's not like this scenario wasn't in the cards, Brighton is ETH boogey team and Liverpool lose was always expected.

I think the only thing that could save him was a good start. A bad start was always going to turn fans against him, his position was always super weak.

Well they kind of need to do if they are supposed to work together.

Kamikaze football. Our matches turning into basketball games even against lower level opposition is no coincidence. Newport County scored twice against us. Coventry scored 4 (with one being disallowed). We finished last in a CL group that included Galatasaray and Copenhagen.

Why are our full backs 10-15 yards in front of Liverpool's wingers?? There's no recovery speed that would allow Dalot to prevent Salah's goal with this nonsense set-up. Why is our DM up there? The gaping hole in midfield that Liverpool midfielders can exploit has been there for like 3 years.:

f91b433dc6e5c47806227e23358e008218112757.jpg

Ten Hag is probably the first manager I've seen trying to use a "glass cannon" RPG build in football. Crazy stuff

I made that point ad nauseum last season. Unless our players have the ability to teleport themselves, our setup is fundamentally wrong, there is zero coverage schemes and in this case we can add the fact that Mainoo has zero options, the moment the pass is made he is screwed. Because he has no time to control and shield the ball, he can't carry it and he can't pass it.

It's not like this scenario wasn't in the cards, Brighton is ETH boogey team and Liverpool lose was always expected.

I think the only thing that could save him was a good start. A bad start was always going to turn fans against him, his position was always super weak.
A loss to Liverpool in Ten Hags 3rd season really shouldnt be expected, that just confirms that he has done nothing to improve us after all this time and money spend.

It was 50/50 in terms of votes. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, they may have tended towards keeping him after the FA Cup :eek:
Fickle lot was over 50% in favor of keeping him overnight.

I 100% blame them for INEOS kicking the bucket further down the line instead of going through and doing what the preceeding months had made inevitable up to that point...

The 'true fan' crusaders who abused everyone who stayed consistent with their opinions created a groundswell of unearned support and momentum for this manager. It was myopic at best at the time and will only age worse and grow to be damaging long term as the season goes from crisis to crisis.

Well they kind of need to do if they are supposed to work together.
But what is there to negotiate? It's just a contract extension with no changes. Ten Hag specifically said negotiations weren't going well and it would be tough to arrive at an agreement, then he gets a +1 with the same deal. That's hardly a tough negotiation.