Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
He needs to be given more time to instil his football philosophy and the board need more time to shift all the deadwood. He also needs more good players, specifically:
  • One LB because Shaw and Malacia are always injured and Dalot is not a LB.
  • One CB to replace Maguire and Lindelof who are on their way out.
  • Two CMs, a defensive one to replace Casemiro and a more all-rounder to replace Eriksen, since they are both cooked.
  • Two wingers to replace Rashford and Antony who's are also done

Use the season purely to bed the new/young players we got in. Then make 6 transfers, corresponding to the above positions between now and next August (incl. January window). Use the preseason without international football to get all the players (including new arrivals) singing from the same hymn sheet. Make a proper go of it next season. He needs more time.
This is insane. Even if you need to replace all of the above, which seems rational, why would you want ETH to be the one managing all of that. Are we genuinely advocating for giving him two free pass seasons in a row, and possibly another one next year, with no expectations whatsoever? Is his job that easy?

You look at what Slot said after the game. How he broke down the tactics of both teams and exactly what happened according to the plan.

The you look at Ten Hag after the game "well we won trophies so ner!!".

One of these things is not a competent football manager.

As a lot of us predicted this isn't going to work. Sadly another summer wasted by keeping him.

That is how I see the plan

EtH has been good bringing youngsters through and coaching some players to be better. That's his job. That's why he's surrounded by other coach/manager material

Get the squad fixed and then bring in a top coach

In short, he's sacrificial
Which players has he made better, dalot is the only player I can think of

You need very competent footballers to play such tight, boxed in football and a midfield multiple levels more skilled than what we have as a collective, yet we haven’t invested a single penny in skilled midfielders.

Ironic also that a manager that doesn’t respect midfield needs even more skilled midfielders to play his football than ones that do.

Here is what I think

a- Casemiro was a waste of money. Legs are the first to go and an old DM especially one who rely heavily on work rate is as useful as bulls tits
b- Eriksen and Mount weren't really needed. This obsession of playing two No 10s at the same time is crazy unless you've got a beast like Keane or Rodri who can cover for them

Thus this mess is ETH's own making, the same guy btw who fought tooth and nail to retain McT ie another no 10.

This little trick of us flooding the opponent's half with players isn't working as teams are countering us and are hurting us big time. Thus we need

- a no 6 and a no 8 that can actually help out on defensive duties
- CBs who can play a high line thus they help the midfield
- Wingers that can defend and attack thus preventing the flanks from being overloaded

Some of that is down to personnel. For example we should get Rabiot. However most of it is down to tactics. Someone needs to sit down with ETH and explain to him that the likes of Liverpool are not the Go Ahead Eagles. Certain tactics that worked at Ajax won't work in the EPL

Meanwhile let's start working on the likes of Alonso and Inzaghi NOW.

He needs to be given more time to instil his football philosophy and the board need more time to shift all the deadwood. He also needs more good players, specifically:
  • Two CMs, a defensive one to replace Casemiro and a more all-rounder to replace Eriksen, since they are both cooked.

Use the season purely to bed the new/young players we got in. Then make 6 transfers, corresponding to the above positions between now and next August (incl. January window). Use the preseason without international football to get all the players (including new arrivals) singing from the same hymn sheet. Make a proper go of it next season. He needs more time.
We're writing off this season already then?

He's had two and a bit seasons to instill his philosophy and we don't appear to be remotely close.

What's the point in giving him more players when he's proved spectacularly bad at using the ones he has?

It's beyond that. With the way we setup, you need at least an elite press resistant DLP and teammates that have the ability and awareness to pass the ball in the right space and move to efficiently to create space and quick passing options and they need to be at the highest level possible because the setup isn't helping them at all.

The former is an individual skill level that is very rare and the latter is pure coaching. And you can't assume either of these things, you can only setup your team to be in these situations because you have the tools and not because you want it, no one would defend a manager that setup his attack around fast breaks when his best scorer is Inzaghi, you wouldn't build an attack around Rooney as a target man. Everyone would understand that only a genuine idiot would do that but we don't follow the same logic with midfielders. We also don't expect an attacker to create and score goals in a context that is totally removed from his teammates because that's not how Football works which is particularly daft when they are the ones that need the most structure, they are the ones that work in traffic and need to be supported by a sensible structure.
Yep. It’s a very twisted irony.

The brilliance needed to make it effective is off the charts, especially so when the dynamic is constantly in flux.

Chaos.

Usually when a manager is in danger of being sacked and the team isn't doing well, they'll try and switch things up, maybe switch to a 3-5-2 or any other system at that but this guys keeps playing the same way. He may replace 1 or 2 players (Never the GK) but it's the same BS every week. It's crazy how stubborn he is, he is almost begging to be sacked. INEOS should not care if they are lambasted for sacking him soon after backing him, just sack him for the sake of the season. It's still very early to achieve something this year, give him more time and he'll give any new manager even more work to do and set us back further.
I don't think ETH ever really thought he is in danger of being sacked - he seems to surround himself with the yes men and people who remind him daily that he won a Carabao cup here, so he's quite untouchable. That's why he acts so delusional and even more embarrassing than Jose with his three premier league bragging (at least he won a Premier League - something that won't ever happen to ETH) and that's why we shouldn't expect any changes.

If you want to understand his character I think it's really important to remember ETH is from a very rich family, surrounded by servants since the young age, and never really felt any pressure to change his ways or to address his arrogance - servants can be always replaced, safety net is always there and there will be always people telling you how great you are. Why would he bother?

We're writing off this season already then?

He's had two and a bit seasons to instill his philosophy and we don't appear to be remotely close.

What's the point in giving him more players when he's proved spectacularly bad at using the ones he has?
Yeah, three games in we have to accept the club has not supported Erik enough, and he needs more time.

Then obviously he's going to need more time after next season is a failure too because you cannot possibly expect him to bed in 5-6 new players and get us results immediately, he needs another season after that, and by the way in the meantime we will add 3-4 more players to the list of deadwood that he absolutely must replace before we can judge him.

At some point he is also going to run out of his former players to sign, so at that point he becomes untouchable because how can you expect him to perform with the players he's not familiar with?

"I’ve been here for two and a half of those years and coming in as I’ve said so many times I felt a big rebuild had to be made," Solskjaer said.

"In the league position you see if there’s any progress for me, that’s always the bread and butter of the season that you see how capable you are of coping of ups and downs any cup competition can give you a trophy but sometimes it’s more of an ego thing from other managers and clubs to finally win something.

"But we need to see progress and if we perform well enough the trophies will end up at the club again. It’s not like a trophy will say that we’re back, no.

"It’s the gradual progression of being in and around the top of the league and the consistency and the odd trophies. Sometimes a cup competition can hide the fact you’re still struggling a little bit."

All of you who slaughtered Ole for this: 1. you deserve ten Hag 2. reading comprehension is very important!

You know what's also hilarious, the guy has literally signed half of his former Ajax team and has got us targeting his former players or Eredivisie players for three years, but he hasn't actually got the best ones. Gravenberch was the best player on the pitch yesterday, Kudus is miles better than Antony and cost less than half the price, and Alvarez would be a great fit in midfield as well, yet we haven't gone for any of them but somehow brought the likes of Antony, Amrabat and Onana who are complete duds. He can't even assess the talent he's worked with.

I don’t have any idea what people see in him to think this is the Bloke to give another season to. A total waste of time. I actually want to see us successful again before I have the sweet release of death.

"I’ve been here for two and a half of those years and coming in as I’ve said so many times I felt a big rebuild had to be made," Solskjaer said.

"In the league position you see if there’s any progress for me, that’s always the bread and butter of the season that you see how capable you are of coping of ups and downs any cup competition can give you a trophy but sometimes it’s more of an ego thing from other managers and clubs to finally win something.

"But we need to see progress and if we perform well enough the trophies will end up at the club again. It’s not like a trophy will say that we’re back, no.

"It’s the gradual progression of being in and around the top of the league and the consistency and the odd trophies. Sometimes a cup competition can hide the fact you’re still struggling a little bit."

All of you who slaughtered Ole for this: 1. you deserve ten Hag 2. reading comprehension is very important!

You still have people claiming he's done better than Arteta in the last two seasons because he won FA Cup / League Cup, including ten Hag himself suggesting that.

My concern too is apparently RVN is the one in line to take the interim job. Has done next to feck all since coming in either

Not sure if trolling or not.

If he gets sacked before December he won’t have anyone to blame. Poor signings. Poor tactics. Poor adjustments.

3 years is more than enough to not be a middling side…more than enough stop getting routed by Liverpool et al

He leaves he won’t even be our most successful manager post fergie. He will certainly be our most backed.

This fan base man, so many people changed their mind after 1 and last game of the previous season that we hapenned to win, and 3 games later want to sack him again :lol:

Keeping him was a wrong decision, Ineos are getting what they deserved. Thankfully they went for a dummy of a contract extension because it's not so costly to axe him when the time comes.

I absolute hate calling for a manager to be sacked, but it does appear ETH should "go and win trophies elsewhere"... he looks so clueless so much of the time and only seems able to play one way (and it's not very good!)

Yikes, this quote is haunting.

We haven’t had a single manager post SAF who is actually attempting to get us playing a way that will get us competing at the top. It’s been obvious with every single one of them well before they are sacked that they are taking us in the wrong direction.

The above is of course compounded by awful recruitment but it always reaches a stage where you can see that more time and money are irrelevant. ETH could have another 5 games or another 50, hundreds more millions could be spent but it won’t matter because what he is trying to do is doomed to fail.

You still have people claiming he's done better than Arteta in the last two seasons because he won FA Cup / League Cup, including ten Hag himself suggesting that.

I know...To be honest, I don't even think keeping him was an awful decision, but at the same time, I was fine with replacing him as well. And if we sacked him right now, I do think it would be very knee-jerk, especially with all the support Ineos have provided him with in the last few months. It's just that the trophy logic has always been very stupid, whether it's against or in support of a manager. Knockout cup competitions are never the best indicator of progress, not even close. Arteta has done much, much more in England than ETH at this point, and that would be true even if he hadn't won the FA Cup in 2020.

Yep. It’s a very twisted irony.

The brilliance needed to make it effective is off the charts, especially so when the dynamic is constantly in flux.

Chaos.
Anything goes wrong, he puts the blame on the players. He never has any form of self awareness or honesty about his shortcomings. He does everything to make himself hated by the club's fanbase.
I honestly don't think he's right 100% ok in the head

Di Matteo would still be at Chelsea if we look at trophy..

FA Cup win was nice, but it was on the back of a disastrous campaign in the league and CL. Should have gotten the boot.

I don't know why we keep losing 2 or 3 of the first five matches every season under ETH.

Pre-season prep is horrible. Every season off on the back foot.

I don't know why we keep losing 2 or 3 of the first five matches every season under ETH.

Pre-season prep is horrible. Every season off on the back foot.

Yeah he should have summoned all the players who were with their international teams back as soon as they were done. That would have been the best

I know...To be honest, I don't even think keeping him was an awful decision, but at the same time, I was fine with replacing him as well. And if we sacked him right now, I do think it would be very knee-jerk, especially with all the support Ineos have provided him with in the last few months. It's just that the trophy logic has always been very stupid, whether it's against or in support of a manager. Knockout cup competitions are never the best indicator of progress, not even close. Arteta has done much, much more in England than ETH at this point, and that would be true even if he hadn't won the FA Cup in 2020.
I don't know why anyone would prefer to be us, and suffer pain week in week out, knowing you will get casual battering from mid table teams pretty much every month but win the occasional cup competition, rather than be Arsenal winning almost every week, playing great football, being competitive both domestically and in Europe. That sounds utterly ridiculous.

Domestic cups aren't even that important. I bet most on here would not be able to name the last 3 winners of German, Italian or Spanish cups. They hold much more weight to smaller clubs because they are usually their only chance at silverware but the big clubs truly care about league and CL.

You know what's also hilarious, the guy has literally signed half of his former Ajax team and has got us targeting his former players or Eredivisie players for three years, but he hasn't actually got the best ones. Gravenberch was the best player on the pitch yesterday, Kudus is miles better than Antony and cost less than half the price, and Alvarez would be a great fit in midfield as well, yet we haven't gone for any of them but somehow brought the likes of Antony, Amrabat and Onana who are complete duds. He can't even assess the talent he's worked with.
My thoughts as well.

Are there any murmurs that he might go from any journalists? I don’t have the mental bandwidth to check twitter :lol:

My concern too is apparently RVN is the one in line to take the interim job. Has done next to feck all since coming in either
To be fair I’ve not seen anything that points to this being true apart from fans talking about it like it’s fact.
I imagine it's a possibility if we aren't able to get our preferred choice, be that Tuchel or someone else. It can hardly get any worse than right now though, even if that is the case.

I'm not sure what the change in backroom staff was supposed to achieve if Ten Hag is committed to playing the way he is. We aren't going to improve until we abandon this ridiculous gung-ho system that exposes all our flaws.