Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wonder how long until the match going fans turn? They've been almost too nice so far despite spending their hard earned money to watch the pure tripe we've been serving up

United match going fans don’t “turn” on managers, that’s one of the problems. You may hear some half hearted boos at half-time and final whistle but they will be drowned out by cheers and applause, and the manager will be clapped/applauded off the pitch. It has happened with every single manager til they got the axe.

Totally lost interest me.
I think that's how many of us are now and some have been for a long time. They obviously don't care so why should we? We've not really got anything to look forward to so you're bound to lose interest. Looking at how this thread is hardly moving after we all found out he's staying for the time being shows a lot on here feel the same.

I think that's how many of us are now and some have been for a long time. They obviously don't care so why should we? We've not really got anything to look forward to so you're bound to lose interest. Looking at how this thread is hardly moving after we all found out he's staying for the time being shows a lot on here feel the same.
Yep. Lack of intent from INEOS has me not giving a feck at this point. Season isn’t going to magically turn around until he’s binned off so not much to look forward to our care about.

So now its being reported that he'll be sacked if he loses the next 2 games, if true the way the powers that be are handling this situation is disgaceful, either sack him or back him instead of saying he has the next 2 games when he was already given 2 games to save his job before the Villa and Porto games.

So now its being reported that he'll be sacked if he loses the next 2 games, if true the way the powers that be are handling this situation is disgaceful, either sack him or back him instead of saying he has the next 2 games when he was already given 2 games to save his job before the Villa and Porto games.

The media knows nothing.

For now. We either get better under him or he’s gone. The club isn’t panicking in the same way the fans are, which is fine. I’m pretty certain he’ll be gone before Christmas unless we improve dramatically and quickly.
In what way is wanting to sack a manager that has been underperforming for over 18 months, has overseen our worst ever PL and European performance over a whole season, has us at 14th with a -3GD after 7 games in the next season and is literally making backwards progress in all metrics since his first season, 'panicking' ?

Last edited:
I think he's safe until a successor is identified. The hierarchy have sounded out multiple different managers, if reports are to be believed. Ten Hag likely knows this too, he isn't stupid and I'm sure his agent would have connections. Whilst I do think sacking Ten Hag and appointing an interim is more likely to improve performances and results in the short term, I don't think INEOS want to blindly pull the trigger. They will likely continue to identify and approach a successor.

Bit harsh. Didn’t de Boer get sacked after winning 0 games in a month or so for palace?
Yeah this is where we're at. Crystal palace have higher standards for their managers than we do.

There really isn't any excuse for INEOS and his sacking looks inevitable either way so I don't understand why the decision still hasn't been made.

I don't know if he was actually given those two games to save his job, or if people just decided that was the case because the Tottenham game was so embarassing.

I think he should be gone now, but maybe they've decided that since he didn't lose those games, it's make or break time for him now.

It is ironic that our fanbase long ridiculed Wenger for “top 4-trophy”, made fun of “Micky Mouse Cup” when we were successful. Then our fanbase hated Glazers and Woodward for “being happy with top-4”.

Fast forward to 2024 and the majority backed EtH who finished 8th just because he won 2 non-major trophies including “Micky Mouse Cup” (ah, and the “top-4 trophy” in his first season). Whereas even Woodward would have sacked him this spring.
It's genuine insanity. In the LVG days, the majority of the fanbase agreed he needed to go, even after the FA Cup because of the dire football on display along with a 6th place finish. I fail to comprehend how our football was any better to watch last season? In fact, I would argue it was overall worse when you include all the humiliations along the way. It was absolutely miserable being a United fan and nothings changed. The football is still dire overall and we've already had two big humiliations at home this season.

I just don't understand why standards are so much lower for ETH, who has been backed far more than LVG ever was?

Yep it doesn't help the God awful football how is that motivating to tune into. If we were losing every game 4-3 it would be a lot more bearable but we can't even score bar the Barnsley game. Don't we have lowest goals scored or something equally pathetic

And if he does think his job is at risk we will get even more horrible passing back/sideways/hoof ball. With most of those passes going astray as we can't even pass...

It’s like have a hole in your roof and waiting it to crumble completely before you do something about it. It will be a lot more expensive at the end but whatever.
You're telling me that if you wait it out, it won't magically fix itself? Blasphemy

Our situation is basically hiring someone(ETH) to fix a deteriorating roof. Initially, you're happy because there's no holes anymore and from the outside, it looks good compared to what it was previously. Then you realise one year down the line that he's botched the foundation, used really cheap materials and it's all falling apart again. Except now you've spent a fortune buying him the materials to fix it, just for it end up worse than it was before.

I don't believe these reports. Because if true, it's quite farcical. Nobody operates a huge business like that, even the Glazers don't. So it's more likely they have already decided ealrier to give him couple of months. The difference from before is that there are practically no high level leaks so the press is back to pulling stories out of their arses.

Neverthrlesss, It's quite unbelievable to me that he still has a job, but at least that scenario is slightly more plausible than the "these next two games" nonsense.

I don't know if he was actually given those two games to save his job, or if people just decided that was the case because the Tottenham game was so embarassing.

I think he should be gone now, but maybe they've decided that since he didn't lose those games, it's make or break time for him now.

The way Sir Jims team is handling this is embarrasing, they have known for months he wasnt the right man for the job yet even after our worst ever start to the season they are refusing to sack him.

It's genuine insanity. In the LVG days, the majority of the fanbase agreed he needed to go, even after the FA Cup because of the dire football on display along with a 6th place finish. I fail to comprehend how our football was any better to watch last season? In fact, I would argue it was overall worse when you include all the humiliations along the way. It was absolutely miserable being a United fan and nothings changed. The football is still dire overall and we've already had two big humiliations at home this season.

I just don't understand why standards are so much lower for ETH, who has been backed far more than LVG ever was?

A great question to which I don't know the answer, but I do have a few theories.

Fear of the unknown. Part of the fanbase is worried about starting from scratch with a new manager. This is not an unreasonable concern. It is probable that whoever we were to bring in would require 2-3 years to rebuild the squad as he wishes and because we've just been through that, with disastrous results, many of us are concerned that it could all play out as woefully under this manager as it has under the current manager.

Patience is deemed to be a virtue. Part of the fanbase sees something in ETH that warrants hope. I don't share that hope but I do not view those who hold out hope for ETH as being irrational. We have the Arteta experience to look to and we have the Ferguson experience to look to as well.

The players are the problem. This isn't much of argument as ETH has chosen the players, but the argument can be made that the players have let ETH down, not ETH letting the players down.

I think if Ineos had have had everybody in place in May, say them coming in was summer 2023, then they would have had a manager already sorted to take over. Who knows? It’s a big ask for Ashworth and Berrada to literally start and a few weeks later sack TH and pull a top manager out of the hat. All the media quotes are probably bullshit

I think if Ineos had have had everybody in place in May, say them coming in was summer 2023, then they would have had a manager already sorted to take over. Who knows? It’s a big ask for Ashworth and Berrada to literally start and a few weeks later sack TH and pull a top manager out of the hat. All the media quotes are probably bullshit
Yeah this could be true but I was talking more in regard to how the poll here was marginally in favour of ETH after the FA-cup win. Elsewhere, it was the overwhelming majority of fans who backed him, which was completely different to the atmosphere around LVG after the FA Cup win.

Yeah this could be true but I was talking more in regard to how the poll here was marginally in favour of ETH after the FA-cup win. Elsewhere, it was the overwhelming majority of fans who backed him, which was completely different to the atmosphere around LVG after the FA Cup win.
I suppose winning 2 trophies is seen by some as better than VG 1. the fact we finished 8th should have put everybody off.

That's the reality - the League season is over. Its just a case of whether we finish top half or not. Sure we might win a cup, but the league' gone. And I'm not talking about top four here. Seventh is realistically the highest we'll finish with EtH at the helm. But even that would require a drastic upturn in form.

Utter nonsense to say the season is over league wise in the middle of October. This fanbase is broken and weird.

Ignore everything you read, and I do mean you, because judging by some of the crap you post in here from twitter, its guaranteed nonsense. No offence.

Utter nonsense to say the season is over league wise in the middle of October. This fanbase is broken and weird.
Not yet , however if we get to 10pts difference from top 4, then it really is. Unless some EL qualification from the league would be acceptable to you.

A great question to which I don't know the answer, but I do have a few theories.

Fear of the unknown. Part of the fanbase is worried about starting from scratch with a new manager. This is not an unreasonable concern. It is probable that whoever we were to bring in would require 2-3 years to rebuild the squad as he wishes and because we've just been through that, with disastrous results, many of us are concerned that it could all play out as woefully under this manager as it has under the current manager.

Patience is deemed to be a virtue. Part of the fanbase sees something in ETH that warrants hope. I don't share that hope but I do not view those who hold out hope for ETH as being irrational. We have the Arteta experience to look to and we have the Ferguson experience to look to as well.

The players are the problem. This isn't much of argument as ETH has chosen the players, but the argument can be made that the players have let ETH down, not ETH letting the players down.

The situations surrounding Arteta's first few years at Arsenal and their respective trajectories are in no way comparable to Ten Hag's.

We can't rebuild the squad again, the club can't afford it. The players are the problem under this manager, so we need to get rid of the manager and see if a new manager can get a tune out of them.

Some of you guys would have had Fergie hung drawn and quartered back in the day. 85% of the season left but if can't get us a trophy or CL football this season he can be relieved of his duties but until then give the man a break.

While I hope he can I just can't see it.

What would be a satisfactory “turn around” for you guys?

It’s the guy’s 3rd year and the amount of time and money invested - we should be hovering around 3rd/4th whilst playing something. The type of turn around he’d need to make that happen from now til end of the season would have to be incredible. At best, this will be another 6th/7th placed season and that’s being super optimistic - there are some really good teams in the league - you just need to decide if you’d be happy with that

Some of you guys would have had Fergie hung drawn and quartered back in the day. 85% of the season left but if can't get us a trophy or CL football this season he can be relieved of his duties but until then give the man a break.
The Fergie excuse again. It's like Groundhog Day in here.

The 11 game run we've played this season is only the fourth worst 11 game run under ETH, with a points per game of 1.27.

Worse runs (with overlaps):

PPG: 1.09, period between 2023-06-03 and 2023-10-03 (across seasons). A run that included 4 wins, 0 draws, and 7 losses. Total goal diff is -4
Markdown (GitHub flavored):
| **Matchday**     |   **Date**     | **Home Team**     |  **Away Team**     | **Result**     |
|-------------:    |-----------:    |--------------:    |---------------:    |-----------:    |
|        Final     | 2023-06-03     |      Man City     |        Man Utd     |        2:1     |
|            1     | 2023-08-14     |       Man Utd     |         Wolves     |        1:0     |
|            2     | 2023-08-19     |     Tottenham     |        Man Utd     |        2:0     |
|            3     | 2023-08-26     |       Man Utd     |   Nottm Forest     |        3:2     |
|            4     | 2023-09-03     |       Arsenal     |        Man Utd     |        3:1     |
|            5     | 2023-09-16     |       Man Utd     |       Brighton     |        1:3     |
|      Group A     | 2023-09-20     | Bayern Munich     |        Man Utd     |        4:3     |
|            6     | 2023-09-23     |       Burnley     |        Man Utd     |        0:1     |
|  Third Round     | 2023-09-26     |       Man Utd     | Crystal Palace     |        3:0     |
|            7     | 2023-09-30     |       Man Utd     | Crystal Palace     |        0:1     |
|      Group A     | 2023-10-03     |       Man Utd     |    Galatasaray     |        2:3     |

PPG: 1.09, period between 2023-11-29 and 2024-01-14. A run that included 3 wins, 3 draws, and 5 losses. Total goal diff is -4
| **Matchday**     |   **Date**     | **Home Team**     | **Away Team**     | **Result**     |
|-------------:    |-----------:    |--------------:    |--------------:    |-----------:    |
|      Group A     | 2023-11-29     |   Galatasaray     |       Man Utd     |        3:3     |
|           14     | 2023-12-02     |     Newcastle     |       Man Utd     |        1:0     |
|           15     | 2023-12-06     |       Man Utd     |       Chelsea     |        2:1     |
|           16     | 2023-12-09     |       Man Utd     |   Bournemouth     |        0:3     |
|      Group A     | 2023-12-12     |       Man Utd     | Bayern Munich     |        0:1     |
|           17     | 2023-12-17     |     Liverpool     |       Man Utd     |        0:0     |
|           18     | 2023-12-23     |      West Ham     |       Man Utd     |        2:0     |
|           19     | 2023-12-26     |       Man Utd     |   Aston Villa     |        3:2     |
|           20     | 2023-12-30     |  Nottm Forest     |       Man Utd     |        2:1     |
|  Third Round     | 2024-01-08     |         Wigan     |       Man Utd     |        0:2     |
|           21     | 2024-01-14     |       Man Utd     |     Tottenham     |        2:2     |

PPG: 1.18, period between 2023-11-29 and 2024-01-14. A run that included 4 wins, 1 draws, and 6 losses. Total goal diff is -6
| **Matchday**     |   **Date**     | **Home Team**     | **Away Team**     | **Result**     |
|-------------:    |-----------:    |--------------:    |--------------:    |-----------:    |
|           10     | 2023-10-29     |       Man Utd     |      Man City     |        0:3     |
| Fourth Round     | 2023-11-01     |       Man Utd     |     Newcastle     |        0:3     |
|           11     | 2023-11-04     |        Fulham     |       Man Utd     |        0:1     |
|      Group A     | 2023-11-08     | FC Copenhagen     |       Man Utd     |        4:3     |
|           12     | 2023-11-11     |       Man Utd     |         Luton     |        1:0     |
|           13     | 2023-11-26     |       Everton     |       Man Utd     |        0:3     |
|      Group A     | 2023-11-29     |   Galatasaray     |       Man Utd     |        3:3     |
|           14     | 2023-12-02     |     Newcastle     |       Man Utd     |        1:0     |
|           15     | 2023-12-06     |       Man Utd     |       Chelsea     |        2:1     |
|           16     | 2023-12-09     |       Man Utd     |   Bournemouth     |        0:3     |
|      Group A     | 2023-12-12     |       Man Utd     | Bayern Munich     |        0:1     |

I think that both EtH and INEOS are looking for this sudden click. Where everything finally falls into place and we play like we are invincible. We can always hope that this happens (since he hasn't been sacked) but I really really doubt it. Mostly because I haven't seen progressive improvements in the style of play. If United start to play counterttacking football only because EtH just doesn't want to lose, we can give up on the click ever happening.

This has to be satire!
See lex's post above. I hope to god it's sarcasm for their sake. Bringing Arteta and Fergie up again :nervous:

I think they are playing the long game now. He’s been blabbering about process, long term plan and all, so behind the scenes he’s probably adamant it will take us 3+ more years before we can become competitive, hence extremely low expectations for this season and lack of reaction to poor results (which are ‘normal’ for the stage of the project we are in).
I dunno mate. I guess that I believe the organization has to endure. The mentality that SAF set was uncompromising. Rio had talked about that. SAF brought in players like Keano and Stam and others who amplified that message. I just can’t see how wasting time by allowing the substandard elements to remain is a path to a major trophy. How can you allow a shit manager to stay, when shit performances get your top players benched??? It sends the wrong message. We are Manchester fecking United. Top 4 is the bare minimum, and you need a trophy to boot. We spend more than almost any club, on average, I just don’t see how anything less is acceptable.

SAF set the standard. He’s not here anymore. The owners have to set it, just like they do at Bayern, Real, Barca (however fecked up it is), PSG and Juventus.

I am really bummed at the bureaucracy that INEOS has installed. Management by committee tends to be slow and ponderous with people who are waiting to be stabbed in the back and therefore cautious. They don’t want to get sacked and reluctant to take big swings and make big moves.

I'm curious. Is there any way for the manager to fail without it being the players fault in your eyes? Because if you can't see that ETH has been THE main problem over the last 18 months, I honestly can't see what would do it for you.

This guy really has got expectations on the floor. His record that is being highlighted over the last few weeks has been just horrendous to read. I’m just amazed that his inability to improve the teams performances and results for 3 seasons is still been rewarded. I’ve never been at a lower point supporting United.
What’s more annoying that ETH’s stubbornness to adapt to the players he has, and wanted, is the lack of action from football people in the club - if they are happy with this poor manager then what are we in for in the long run.
Depressing stuff for United fans and when you can’t even look forward to match day anymore, it really is the end of days as a football fan.
Even more depressing, we seem to have a lot of fans (14.2%) who want him to continue because they think he’ll magically turn it around

I dont understand their reasoning behind giving him 2 games. Because we could win the next two games, but it doesn't change anything. We aren't going to be any closer to challenging for the title. ETHs reign has become terminal now.

See lex's post above. I hope to god it's sarcasm for their sake. Bringing Arteta and Fergie up again :nervous:

If Moyes got 4 years like Fergie then we would be double-quadruple winners! Every manager in history just needs time like Fergie and then they will all be amazing, just like Fergie!

I think that both EtH and INEOS are looking for this sudden click. Where everything finally falls into place and we play like we are invincible. We can always hope that this happens (since he hasn't been sacked) but I really really doubt it. Mostly because I haven't seen progressive improvements in the style of play. If United start to play counterttacking football only because EtH just doesn't want to lose, we can give up on the click ever happening.
Fully agree. That's what we are all hoping. If it does, can't wait to see the posts on this thread! ha