Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
The sad thing is, saying we looked decent at any point during that Fulham game is actually a stretch.

I'd agree mate, I just didn't want to trigger anyone who'd deluded themselves into thinking that was a good performance. Those 45 goalless minutes against Palace though? Highlight of the season so far. :confused:

I wonder will we manage to win our 3rd game of the season before November?

To be fair, ETH is not out of any competition yet. A team needs stability so it is not right to kick a manager out when they have not been knocked out of any competition. And Eth won't lose 4-0 to MK Dons.

Only because we can't play them though.

It is ironic that our fanbase long ridiculed Wenger for “top 4-trophy”, made fun of “Micky Mouse Cup” when we were successful. Then our fanbase hated Glazers and Woodward for “being happy with top-4”.

Fast forward to 2024 and the majority backed EtH who finished 8th just because he won 2 non-major trophies including “Micky Mouse Cup” (ah, and the “top-4 trophy” in his first season). Whereas even Woodward would have sacked him this spring.
We have been devoid of any truly meaningful success for more than a decade and went 4 or 5 years without any trophy, hence the perspective changed. Our expectations and what makes us content is far closer to West Ham now than it is to City/Arsenal/Liverpool.

It’s not even that we haven’t won the league or CL in more than a decade, we haven’t even been a factor in either at any point in that time. There was not even a single week where we could be in a conversation which cannot be said about virtually any other top half team bar Newcastle. During that time City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Leicester (!) all won the league while Arsenal, Spurs and even briefly Villa were in title races at various points (in Spurs and Arsenal’s case maybe even multiple times). Us, not even once, not even for a week.

With ten Hag it seems we have accepted this status lately though. While both Ole and Mourinho got fired when they briefly had us in the mid-table or thereabouts, he got a new contract and sits here completely safe even at 14th. It seems we have just basically accepted this is where we are, an aspiring top half team.

Last edited:
We have been devoid of any truly meaningful success for more than a decade and went 4 or 5 years without any trophy, hence the perspective changed. Our expectations and what makes us content is far closer to West Ham now than it is to City/Arsenal/Liverpool.

West Ham just sacked their manager after winning a European Trophy. We kept ours because we won an FA Cup. So they arguably have higher expectations than United right now.

West Ham just sacked their manager after winning a European Trophy. We kept ours because we won an FA Cup. So they arguably have higher expectations than United right now.

They also sacked a manager to play progressive football. We have kept Ten Hag when we play the worst football in the premiership.

I would say our expectations are on par with Ipswich... stay in the PL.

Well they were very close to us last year, we finished one spot ahead of them (8 points but stretched the gap in the last two games) but they had a much better European campaign. It seems they are aiming higher than that though.

I think 90% of the fans are asking the same question? How much further do we need to drop before sacking him?

I am pretty certain our league position will not improve, under Ten Hag we wont make top 10.

I think it will improve. Even under ETH, 14th is too low. He will get us up towards 8th/9th by Christmas. Of course, that’s still nowhere near good enough but he’s somehow lowered expectations so much (whilst spending a fortune) that I expect that to be sufficient to keep his job.

I think it will improve. Even under ETH, 14th is too low. He will get us up towards 8th/9th by Christmas. Of course, that’s still nowhere near good enough but he’s somehow lowered expectations so much (whilst spending a fortune) that I expect that to be sufficient to keep his job.
It's still early in the season so a few good results can see us climb the table quickly. We need those results now though. If we continue to flounder results over the next couple of months, we're in big trouble.
I think it's a waste of time to continue with ETH. Even if he gets a few good results in the short term, we're going to continue on the terrible form we've had for over a year. We're just not taking the points we need to be taking.

The real question is whether to sack ETH now and go with Ruud as interim until a proper manager can be found or to keep ETH at his post, regardless of how shit performances and results may be, until a proper manager can be found. It's a close call, but I'd go with the former unless we are inch-close to terms with that proper manager and need a few more days to work it out.

Yeah but we are throwing away another season .. by accepting mediocrity..
If we are so certain he is gone by Christmas, why wait?

We’re certain as fans he’ll be gone by Christmas, but internally perhaps the club feels we’ll improve. Just speculating.

I also don’t think there’s a must-have replacement available, and as fans we may think “anyone is better”, but the club may not feel that’s true. Sacking him and putting Ruud or whoever in charge is still a risk. It’s not a guarantee we’ll save the season by replacing him now, it’s just what we hope and believe because we want it to be better. My belief is that they’re hoping Ten Hag can keep things ticking over until we can replace him properly.

What they would like is to keep him until they're in a position to sign one of their targets as you say, but that kind of goes out the window when United are without a PL win in a month and lingering in 14th. Not to mention he's doing terribly in the Europa League also. I actually can't think of a single thing going for him at the moment. Tuchel may have his critics, especially as a long term option but he'd have bought INEOS much more time than ETH will afford them, and the longer he stays the more their reputation is being damaged. If they really wanted Tuchel in the summer they should have gotten it wrapped it up, no matter the cost.

It has to go out the window at some point, ideally whilst as much of the season as possible is still salvageable.

INEOS are obviously still hoping ETH can salvage it but our performances and results are fairly consistent and have been for about 18 months. There are inconsistencies like the FA Cup Final but the rest of this season is most likely to carry on exactly as it has done for majority of time ETH has been in charge.

I've given up predicting when he'll be sacked, since his position has been untenable for months and the club seems to be conducting a weird 'what if we just don't sack him and see what happens?' experiment. However I think if we drop down into the relegation zone, which may happen soon, then the trigger will have to be pulled.

I'm at the point if it's because their preferred target isn't available until the end of the season (who could this be?) I want an interim until the end of the season

Maybe it's just recency bias and ETH is so bad and the football so flipping awful, but I'd actually take Ole back providing he purely was an interim (you know like he was supposed to be....)

Like I say probably just recency bias but anything to get rid of ETH

This is how I see it, they've practically shafted themselves by sticking with him in the summer. Anything now looks like an admittance that they were wrong, and that is only compounded even further by the fact that they have stuck with him again when they had the perfect opportunity to part ways. If we continue as he have for 2-4 more weeks, the season is over.
So obviously, they are acting even more like fools by not wanting to admit their mistake.
Indeed, intelligent people can admit they were wrong and turn thing around quickly.
In France we have an expression : « Only fools don’t change their mind ».

Wonder how long until the match going fans turn? They've been almost too nice so far despite spending their hard earned money to watch the pure tripe we've been serving up

I've given up predicting when he'll be sacked, since his position has been untenable for months and the club seems to be conducting a weird 'what if we just don't sack him and see what happens?' experiment. However I think if we drop down into the relegation zone, which may happen soon, then the trigger will have to be pulled.
It’s like have a hole in your roof and waiting it to crumble completely before you do something about it. It will be a lot more expensive at the end but whatever.

This is how I see it, they've practically shafted themselves by sticking with him in the summer. Anything now looks like an admittance that they were wrong, and that is only compounded even further by the fact that they have stuck with him again when they had the perfect opportunity to part ways. If we continue as he have for 2-4 more weeks, the season is over.

Completely agree it's infuriating. I said before the FA cup he could win it 10-0 and I'd still sack him due to the utter shambles of the season as a whole...

Honestly at this point, what will make them sack him. Each performance you think was a sackable offence he somehow survives. Will it take an Ole-esque scenario of an utter pumping by a relegation threatened club to make them finally pull the trigger?

Wonder if he'd have been gone if either the Porto or AV games were a loss?

For now. We either get better under him or he’s gone. The club isn’t panicking in the same way the fans are, which is fine. I’m pretty certain he’ll be gone before Christmas unless we improve dramatically and quickly.
They are just throwing the season in October then. A lot of fans don’t agree with that. But that’s fine apparently, because he will be gone when the season is already over.
So who is more rational about it ? What is the most rational thing to do ? Wait until a miracle or try to salvage the season ?

Wonder how long until the match going fans turn? They've been almost too nice so far despite spending their hard earned money to watch the pure tripe we've been serving up
We turned long time ago.
Where i sit boos and flagging off the manager at the Liverpool game.

Droves leaving at 70th min.

Make no mistake we turned a long time ago.

Online narrative that we support the manager no matter what is bullshit.

We support the club and the badge no matter what the manager can do one.

They are just throwing the season in October then. A lot of fans don’t agree with that. But that’s fine apparently, because he will be gone when the season is already over.
So who is more rational about it ? What is the most rational thing to do ? Wait until a miracle or try to salvage the season ?

Sacking him is a risk too. We could actually get even worse.

I’m just playing devils advocate here, I want him gone too, but a lot of fans seem to think it’s a straightforward decision to sack him, and that everything will instantly be ok once we do. That is not necessarily going to be the case. The decision to sack is not as cut and dried as many here seem to think it is.

We turned long time ago.
Where i sit boos and flagging off the manager at the Liverpool game.

Droves leaving at 70th min.

Make no mistake we turned a long time ago.

Online narrative that we support the manager no matter what is bullshit.

We support the club and the badge no matter what the manager can do one.
I was at Spurs game and was so odd to see so many leave after they scored their 3rd. It was the first time I saw us lose at OT though.

Traveling for Brentford this weekend with a group of friends for our annual autumn Manchester trip and feels weird to almost be certain that we are going to be bad. It’s progressively worse with every game, last year we went to Luton which was a bore fest (went to Villa v Fulham the next day and it was so much better, and quite eye opening to see how far ahead of us they were already then).

I’m just playing devils advocate here, I want him gone too, but a lot of fans seem to think it’s a straightforward decision to sack him, and that everything will instantly be ok once we do. That is not necessarily going to be the case. The decision to sack is not as cut and dried as many here seem to think it is.
We've already hit rock bottom though and have been the laughing stock of the league for some time now.
Its natural for fans to think that a decent coach can come in and do a better job, especially when you see whats going on at clubs with new managers this season. We've already been beaten a few times this season by clubs who appointed new managers, without spending nowhere near as much as we have.
Lesser teams, with managers we'd turn our noses up at, generally make us look inferior, all the time. So it really can't get much worse than this.

It would actually be some achievement for someone to manage to make this situation worse than it's been for the last 14 months. Realistically we're too good to go down yet we've been in virtual relegation or at least bottom half form for months under Ten Hag. I see it as a 50/50 giving someone else a go, either we improve by some degree or stay as shit as we've been. I genuinely don't see how we could get worse as it's not as if we are where we are because Ten Hag has us punching above our weight.

Every manager has a skill, where he scores exceptionally high.

ETH's special skill is lowering expectations, so when he gets poor results, his superiors don't fire him.
This skill is very special. It is a skill that very few managers in football possess, but ETH has it.

I dont know anyone that watches football can think Ten Hag can win the championship.

Its not about the quality the other team has on the ball, its off the ball, many teams will deploy a mid block. If we were in the championship, we would be around 5th i'd say.

We would have the best possession stats though, control of the game but lose a few games as we will just pass it at the half way line and not know how to move forward.

The only results we would get are when teams attack and we transition on them.
Yeah it’s actually sad that I’m not sure I’d favor us to win the Championship if we were put in there right now.

That's the reality - the League season is over. Its just a case of whether we finish top half or not. Sure we might win a cup, but the league' gone. And I'm not talking about top four here. Seventh is realistically the highest we'll finish with EtH at the helm. But even that would require a drastic upturn in form.

I was at Spurs game and was so odd to see so many leave after they scored their 3rd. It was the first time I saw us lose at OT though.

Traveling for Brentford this weekend with a group of friends for our annual autumn Manchester trip and feels weird to almost be certain that we are going to be bad. It’s progressively worse with every game, last year we went to Luton which was a bore fest (went to Villa v Fulham the next day and it was so much better, and quite eye opening to see how far ahead of us they were already then).

The thing is, it's not the first time either under him. Last season against Bournemouth was exactly the same, yet here we still are. That game had the same feeling, the fans had given up and were just walking out. Against Spurs, one guy near me stood up around the 60 minute mark, shook hands with his mates and said he'd seen enough. This has got to be the lowest we've been.

Ole was bad but he had the whole legend thing going for him which spared him. I can feel the indifference towards Ten Hag now. You never hear anybody chanting for him or anything. In fact, against Villa the fans were singing for Ruud, which was telling amongst the rumours of him stepping in at the time. If it goes to pot against Brentford then it'll be a melting pot and Ineos are getting it too I think.

The thing is, it's not the first time either under him. Last season against Bournemouth was exactly the same, yet here we still are. That game had the same feeling, the fans had given up and were just walking out. Against Spurs, one guy near me stood up around the 60 minute mark, shook hands with his mates and said he'd seen enough. This has got to be the lowest we've been.

Ole was bad but he had the whole legend thing going for him which spared him. I can feel the indifference towards Ten Hag now. You never hear anybody chanting for him or anything. In fact, against Villa the fans were singing for Ruud, which was telling amongst the rumours of him stepping in at the time. If it goes to pot against Brentford then it'll be a melting pot and Ineos are getting it too I think.
What made that Bournemouth game even worse is it came days after we beat Chelsea at OT in what was probably our best performance all season.