Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Despite our poor start we are on pace for 43 points which keeps us up easily. I think we will comfortably get to around 50 though, as bad as ten Hag is.
Thanks, that shows things are not as bad as some are portraying them! A bit of perspective is always helpful.

A weekend away from the ETH discussion has been great :lol:

I think if he doesn’t get sacked tomorrow, which seems very unlikely at this point, then he’s not getting sacked at this point at all. It does make me wonder what the executive have in mind here. If he wasn’t sacked for what has happened thus far, at a point when the season is still salvageable, then I can’t imagine what it would take for him to actually be sacked, when the season past this point, if we continue our current trend, will go beyond being salvageable.

It’s hard to imagine them being okay with an entire season being written off from the start, but the lack of movement on this seems to suggest just that.

Imagine if Ten Hag genuinely turns us around this season (it won’t happen), it will be lauded as a genius masterstroke pulled off by any footballing board in recent times. A revival of fortunes would (to me) entail a top 4 finish and another cup.

A weekend away from the ETH discussion has been great :lol:

I think if he doesn’t get sacked tomorrow, which seems very unlikely at this point, then he’s not getting sacked at this point at all. It does make me wonder what the executive have in mind here. If he wasn’t sacked for what has happened thus far, at a point when the season is still salvageable, then I can’t imagine what it would take for him to actually be sacked, when the season past this point, if we continue our current trend, will go beyond being salvageable.

It’s hard to imagine them being okay with an entire season being written off from the start, but the lack of movement on this seems to suggest just that.
I am very sure they are not ok with it and would like very much to sack.

Two possibilities 1) They are just as incompetent as the previous board and screwed up the contract clauses and cannot afford to sack him. 2) they are a very competent board and they want to get the right man who will work with this squad rather than splashing another 500M to get their own squad. So still trying to find them.

Actually, we only scored 57 goals last year which was 5 more than Luton (who got relegated), 1 more than Brentford (who were 16th), the same as 10th Crystal Palace and 17 behind the worst team that finished above us.

Even the season before when we finished 3rd we only scored 58 which was 10 worse than the second worst team in top 6 and only 7 better than relegated Leicester and 10 better than relegated Leeds.

This isn’t somehow isolated to this season only, we’ve been a low scoring team for 2.5 years. We will probably not be the third lowest scoring team in the league come the end of season but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we were bottom half in goals scored.
Yeah, he’s been objectively dire.

When we are sitting here as fans, watching the same tripe served every single week, it makes you wonder, how on earth does that guy still have a job? I don’t think INEOS managing the football side of the club was the relief that we were seeking after all those years under Glazers and Woodward.

For me, this is the thing. I felt this way last season around November when he didn't even experiment with the formation. He let us struggle throughout the whole of last season without even trying to make a change in tactics or even just formation.

LVG dabbled with a 532, 4312, 433, 4231 and 4141. Moyes tried a 4141 near the end of his tenure. This guy has had 18 months where our tactics haven't worked, yet we're supposed to believe he's able to tinker to make a change. My feeling is that he's not as good tactically as people want us to think, which is quite obvious to see in his in-game management.
Totally agree. It's like he's not even trying. I wouldn't mind so much if there was some kind of evidence that he's trying to change things up to make us better. But he so rigidly sticks to his "philosophy" that it's going to cost him his job and perhaps the next couple as well.

Imagine if Ten Hag genuinely turns us around this season (it won’t happen), it will be lauded as a genius masterstroke pulled off by any footballing board in recent times. A revival of fortunes would (to me) entail a top 4 finish and another cup.

I think the bar he and INEOS will be setting for success will be much lower than that - probably top 7-8 will be enough. Thing is, even a top 4 finish would still be an underwhelming return considering where we were when he took over and that we spend more than half a billion since, most of that to sign players he handpicked himself, yet we would probably perceive it as something that would grant him another 3+ year contract.

Yeah, he’s been objectively dire.

When we are sitting here as fans, watching the same tripe served every single week, it makes you wonder, how on earth does that guy still have a job? I don’t think INEOS managing the football side of the club was the relief that we were seeking after all those years under Glazers and Woodward.
I think they are playing the long game now. He’s been blabbering about process, long term plan and all, so behind the scenes he’s probably adamant it will take us 3+ more years before we can become competitive, hence extremely low expectations for this season and lack of reaction to poor results (which are ‘normal’ for the stage of the project we are in).

It’s Monday! Quick!!!

Someone put a sign outside Carrington reading “Average Eredivisie Players” with an arrow pointing left towards an open shed

As soon as Erik excitedly runs in with his tongue hanging out, someone shut and lock the door behind him

For me, this is the thing. I felt this way last season around November when he didn't even experiment with the formation. He let us struggle throughout the whole of last season without even trying to make a change in tactics or even just formation.

LVG dabbled with a 532, 4312, 433, 4231 and 4141. Moyes tried a 4141 near the end of his tenure. This guy has had 18 months where our tactics haven't worked, yet we're supposed to believe he's able to tinker to make a change. My feeling is that he's not as good tactically as people want us to think, which is quite obvious to see in his in-game management.

But you see he did that for the long term gains of the players getting used to his 'system'. And we're reaping the benefits of it this season or did you forget those 45 minutes against Palace and the 20-25 minute periods in the Southampton and Fulham games where we looked nothing more than decent?

If we stick with him 3-4 years from now we might look like a good side for 60 minutes or even entire games.

But you see he did that for the long term gains of the players getting used to his 'system'. And we're reaping the benefits of it this season or did you forget those 45 minutes against Palace and the 20-25 minute periods in the Southampton and Fulham games where we looked nothing more than decent?

If we stick with him 3-4 years from now we might look like a good side for 60 minutes or even entire games.
Yeah because we’ll be in league 1 with Barnsley

I think the bar he and INEOS will be setting for success will be much lower than that - probably top 7-8 will be enough. Thing is, even a top 4 finish would still be an underwhelming return considering where we were when he took over and that we spend more than half a billion since, most of that to sign players he handpicked himself, yet we would probably perceive it as something that would grant him another 3+ year contract.
The only way a non-top 5 finish is acceptable is if we win the Europa League and qualify for the CL that way - anything less than that is unsustainable for our ability to build a squad capable of competing. However, that alone is not enough. We also need to actually play some good football and see som proper on-field progress, because where we are right now is very far away from where we want to be.

The only way a non-top 5 finish is acceptable is if we win the Europa League and qualify for the CL that way - anything less than that is unsustainable for our ability to build a squad capable of competing. However, that alone is not enough. We also need to actually play some good football and see som proper on-field progress, because where we are right now is very far away from where we want to be.
Considering we've won 1 of our last 11 games in Europe under him, and even that one was very lucky with Copenhagen missing a last-minute penalty, I don't think we are very likely to win Europa League at all. In the league top 5 is also a tough ask as we are already miles away not just in points but also performance. I honestly don't see how we can expect to finish ahead of any of Chelsea, Spurs, Villa or even Brighton or Newcastle, all of whom look far more solid than us. I'm obviously not even looking at City, Arsenal and Liverpool as we are much closer to Fulham, West Ham and Bournemouth than we are to them and it's not even debatable.

Considering we've won 1 of our last 11 games in Europe under him, and even that one was very lucky with Copenhagen missing a last-minute penalty, I don't think we are very likely to win Europa League at all. In the league top 5 is also a tough ask as we are already miles away not just in points but also performance. I honestly don't see how we can expect to finish ahead of any of Chelsea, Spurs, Villa or even Brighton or Newcastle, all of whom look far more solid than us. I'm obviously not even looking at City, Arsenal and Liverpool as we are much closer to Fulham, West Ham and Bournemouth than we are to them and it's not even debatable.

Agree.

The frustrating thing is that we could become more solid almost overnight. These players are good enough to not be the ridiculous outfit we are.

I'm hoping the last few weeks have been so brutal that ETH has no choice but to go back to basics. The Villa performance maybe a glimpse of that.

Agree.

The frustrating thing is that we could become more solid almost overnight. These players are good enough to not be the ridiculous outfit we are.

I'm hoping the last few weeks have been so brutal that ETH has no choice but to go back to basics. The Villa performance maybe a glimpse of that.

Oh great, perpetual survival mode.

This guy really has got expectations on the floor. His record that is being highlighted over the last few weeks has been just horrendous to read. I’m just amazed that his inability to improve the teams performances and results for 3 seasons is still been rewarded. I’ve never been at a lower point supporting United.
What’s more annoying that ETH’s stubbornness to adapt to the players he has, and wanted, is the lack of action from football people in the club - if they are happy with this poor manager then what are we in for in the long run.
Depressing stuff for United fans and when you can’t even look forward to match day anymore, it really is the end of days as a football fan.

This guy really has got expectations on the floor. His record that is being highlighted over the last few weeks has been just horrendous to read. I’m just amazed that his inability to improve the teams performances and results for 3 seasons is still been rewarded. I’ve never been at a lower point supporting United.
What’s more annoying that ETH’s stubbornness to adapt to the players he has, and wanted, is the lack of action from football people in the club - if they are happy with this poor manager then what are we in for in the long run.
Depressing stuff for United fans and when you can’t even look forward to match day anymore, it really is the end of days as a football fan.

talk about being overly dramatic.. give them a couple of weeks we'll surely look better, if not, he'll be sacked

The Manchester United disease is thinking there's somehow virtue found in loyalty to a manager up to and beyond the point where his continued employment has completely written-off an entire season.

It's based in this ridiculous notion that Alex Ferguson was just some chump who benefited from time, and if time is afforded to someone else that they will easily be as successful.

There's nothing that needs to be seen about Ten Hag. The house is on fire yet there's a reluctance to call the fire bridge just yet, as doing so isn't the "Manchester United way" and it would be rash not to let the fire continue until at least we've mathematically missed out on Europe.

Considering we've won 1 of our last 11 games in Europe under him, and even that one was very lucky with Copenhagen missing a last-minute penalty, I don't think we are very likely to win Europa League at all.
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/europa-league/teilnehmer/pokalwettbewerb/EL

Sort this by market value and let it sink in. United have twice the squad value than the next relevant team (we all know Spurs can't win anything, so we can ignore them). Yet we not only doubt if United can win the tournament (given the resources United should be massively favoured to do so), but are talking about winning matches at all.

And yet EtH hasn't been sacked yet. Half the teams in the EL would have sacked their managers already if they were in the same position in their domestic league United is in.

The sad thing is, saying we looked decent at any point during that Fulham game is actually a stretch.

The sad thing is, saying we looked decent at any point during that Fulham game is actually a stretch.
I don’t think you are allowed to question that performance here. It’s up there with 45 mins at Palace and those 25 minutes at Spurs last season as an all time great.

But I agree with you. I thought we looked rather poor for majority of that game, barring a short spell in the first half.

talk about being overly dramatic.. give them a couple of weeks we'll surely look better, if not, he'll be sacked

He's not getting sacked. Why would they sack him in two weeks for poor performances, when they could have done it now whilst there's a chance to get things in order? He's here for the season, no matter where we are in the league (bar maybe relegation zone). I think it's clear that INEOS have written this off as a transition season for him.

He's not getting sacked. Why would they sack him in two weeks for poor performances, when they could have done it now whilst there's a chance to get things in order? He's here for the season, no matter where are in the league (bar maybe relegation zone). I think it's clear that INEOS have written this off as a transition season for him.

I disagree. I think 7 or whatever games we're in was sought as too early, but if things don't improve in 2-4 weeks, he'll be gone.

We're only 2 seasons and 7 games into his tenure. Give it another few weeks and we'll magically transform into a great team

We're only 2 seasons and 7 games into his tenure. Give it another few weeks and we'll magically transform into a great team

I mean 7 games is way too early to judge. If this was Man City you could easily have a 28 game unbeaten run from here until next year and then we would all look like fools.

INEOS aren’t no mugs.

Honestly though how hard is it to get competent people in charge of your club. Even Barcelona have more intelligence and they’re like Paul Merson with money.

I disagree. I think 7 or whatever games we're in was sought as too early, but if things don't improve in 2-4 weeks, he'll be gone.

If the board did do that, then we're in deep deep trouble.

Because there's no excuse to not sack him now.

If they sacked him 2-4 weeks later with continued poor results, they'd have shown an indefensible lack of foresight.

If the board did do that, then we're in deep deep trouble.

Because there's no excuse to not sack him now.

If they sacked him 2-4 weeks later with continued poor results, they'd have shown an indefensible lack of foresight.

This is how I see it, they've practically shafted themselves by sticking with him in the summer. Anything now looks like an admittance that they were wrong, and that is only compounded even further by the fact that they have stuck with him again when they had the perfect opportunity to part ways. If we continue as he have for 2-4 more weeks, the season is over.

I mean 7 games is way too early to judge. If this was Man City you could easily have a 28 game unbeaten run from here until next year and then we would all look like fools.

INEOS aren’t no mugs.

Honestly though how hard is it to get competent people in charge of your club. Even Barcelona have more intelligence and they’re like Paul Merson with money.
7 games is too early to judge, but EtH has managed us for 124 matches, and has been utter shit for around 75% of that time. Director of football changing from Murtough to Ashworth doesn't make his tactics less insane, neither our results better than midtable.

The trouble I have with him is the trouble I had with Ole at the end of his tenure that he's showing no signs of progress and we are going backwards thus is despite being heavily backed with his already questionable strategy of signing loads of ec players

The football is absolutely insipid, we can't score and can't defend either. I'd be slightly less disgusted by his staying if we were at least playing good football just things hadn't quite clicked yet, but no it's slow, horrible football and we can't even pass the ball

Let's not forget the results and finishing position last season were appalling, yet we kept him just because we won the FA cup

I'd love to know their reasons for backing him when so many other clubs would have sacked him and with very good reason

Actually, we only scored 57 goals last year which was 5 more than Luton (who got relegated), 1 more than Brentford (who were 16th), the same as 10th Crystal Palace and 17 behind the worst team that finished above us.

Even the season before when we finished 3rd we only scored 58 which was 10 worse than the second worst team in top 6 and only 7 better than relegated Leicester and 10 better than relegated Leeds.

This isn’t somehow isolated to this season only, we’ve been a low scoring team for 2.5 years. We will probably not be the third lowest scoring team in the league come the end of season but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we were bottom half in goals scored.
It’s actually been trending the wrong way since fergie left. Aside from Ole it’s been going down

Disappointing lack of leaked pics of him walking into Carrington this morning, sombrero at a jaunty angle while carrying loads of duty free bags full of huge Toblerones and litre bottles of vodka to be met by Omar and Dan saying 'Welcome back Erik. Have you a minute...'

He’ll be meeting Ashworth this morning to update his PDP and to be put on a 3 month action plan with some specific and measurable goals.

Tomorrow he’ll ring in sick and will say his GP has signed him off for a month with some ambiguous stress related illness.