Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Your conclusion is that Ten Hag is a good manager. Saying we’re only 7 games in is inaccurate. We’re 125 games in. You’re searching for data to support a conclusion, not looking at data to make a conclusion. That’s the difference mate.
I have not concluded this. There's a flaw with your insinuation of confirmation bias and conclusions when you've not bothered to read the analysis and parameters prior.

However well people think we played til the league cup in his first season (I don’t think we were that good), doesn’t justify whatever faith some seem to have on him.

“Back” poll option creeping up. Crazy stuff
There's a lot of people talking about the poll. Why does it bother you so much?

Some people wanted to see how he fares after a very good first season and a very bad second season. I don't think there is much harm in that. If a lot of these posters have seen enough after the first 7-10 games then fair play.

That's a very naive

A- considering that ETH had just 1 year left in his contract then keeping him meant having to activate his one year contract. Surely the club couldn't afford having the manager focused on finding his next job. That meant that getting rid of him meant spending 17m

B- top managers tend not to leave their his club mid through the season. Even the likes of Tuchel (free transfer) would only consider the job but only on his terms.

Last season it was a train wreck. We had drama on an almost weekly basis, injuries kept piling in (and the rumors were that it was down to ETH's training regime) and football was painful to watch. We ended 8th with a negative goal difference. Yet all was forgiven and the manager was given 200m to spend + new coaches (which...surprise surprise, he brought half of the Eredivisie/Ajax) with him based on.....1 game.

The tactics are tweaked to last year and its a new coaching staff with the new signings, so I certainly expect there to be a bedding in period. What I do also expect however is a much better return from the 7 games in spite of that.

Yes they are tweaked, not revolutionized tactics, players and coaches are used to tactical tweaks several times during the same season depending on context. I'm genuinely baffled, it's as if you are ignoring how Football, coaching and playing it has worked for nearly a century. 4 new players is nothing and tactical tweaks that are implemented during preseason don't require months to be applied in games, tactical tweaks that are introduced during the season don't even require weeks to be implemented, managers routinely work on various tactical approaches all year long. ETH isn't experiencing anything different to 100% of other coaches in all leagues, he is just among the ones that are making a mess out of it for not apparent reason.

I'm not going to beat around the bush, the arguments that you give are terrible for ETH, they point to extreme incompetence and I genuinely hope that it's not the case.

We were 7th, but I'm unsure what relation that has to my point?

I was only pointing out we were actually closer to the top 4 than we were the relegation places when Ole got sacked. After that Watford defeat I believe we were 8-9 points above the relegation zone.

I'm aware, but most of those who switched their votes aren't the loudest voices in this thread

its not just redcafe. Its the majority of fans. I had local mates who few days prior of the FA cup final were spitting on the floor whenever his name was mentioned (figuratively speaking) only to change tune mere days after the FA cup win

To be fair they didn't meet for 7 hours to talk about ETH. The press made that one up on the back of the existence of a board meeting, meeting that happens every year in late September or early October, it's the one in Barcelona erly September that was more peculiar. And before people lose it at a later date, generally there is an other board meeting late November, early December.

I'm aware the comment was tongue in cheek.

its not just redcafe. Its the majority of fans. I had local mates who few days prior of the FA cup final were spitting on the floor whenever his name was mentioned (figuratively speaking) only to change tune mere days after the FA cup win
I don't disagree. I'm aware that a large portion of the fanbase is fickle and quickly changed their minds based on one game. My point was that your post seemed to be addressed at the people actively posting in this thread - most of whom have been fully entrenched, in one direction or the other, for a very long time now.

I reckon people need to stop hanging on every tweet, the club isn’t leaking shit that much is obvious.

Wait for official announcements and until then it’s BAU.

That's a very naive

A- considering that ETH had just 1 year left in his contract then keeping him meant having to activate his one year contract. Surely the club couldn't afford having the manager focused on finding his next job. That meant that getting rid of him meant spending 17m

B- top managers tend not to leave their his club mid through the season. Even the likes of Tuchel (free transfer) would only consider the job but only on his terms.

Last season it was a train wreck. We had drama on an almost weekly basis, injuries kept piling in (and the rumors were that it was down to ETH's training regime) and football was painful to watch. We ended 8th with a negative goal difference. Yet all was forgiven and the manager was given 200m to spend based on.....1 game.
I mean that's your opinion but I disagree some bits. I don't think 8th was 'forgiven'. There was an expectation to enter 3rd with an immediate improvement which hasn't materialized yet and may not if we continue to keep him. I don't really have a problem with a view that he was worth a crack under a better structure, especially given the candidates available. Amorim or Xavi seemed interesting to me but it looks like neither was never really an option for whatever reason.

Yes they are tweaked, not revolutionized tactics, players and coaches are used to tactical tweaks several times during the same season depending on context. I'm genuinely baffled, it's as if you are ignoring how Football, coaching and playing it has worked for nearly a century. 4 new players is nothing and tactical tweaks that are implemented during preseason don't require months to be applied in games, tactical tweaks that are introduced during the season don't even require weeks to be implemented, managers routinely work on various tactical approaches all year long. ETH isn't experiencing anything different to 100% of other coaches in all leagues, he is just among the ones that are making a mess out of it for not apparent reason.

I'm not going to beat around the bush, the arguments that you give are terrible for ETH, they point to extreme incompetence and I genuinely hope that it's not the case.
The players I named and the player needing to adopt a new role is certainly not nothing. And the new coaching staff is also not nothing.
I'm not really giving any argument for Ten Hag here. I'm just speaking generally that a team will need to gel to a new league and the squad will need to adapt to a new coaching staff. I dont think it should take as long as it has now given Ten Hag has been here for 2 years and a lot of the players have been here already. But I do think there's a teething in period for Dalot, De Ligt, Maz, Ugarte and Zirkzee irrespective of who the coach is.

I was only pointing out we were actually closer to the top 4 than we were the relegation places when Ole got sacked. After that Watford defeat I believe we were 8-9 points above the relegation zone.
I think he was 8points off top 4 and 7 points off a relegation place (Leeds being 17th).

There's a lot of people talking about the poll. Why does it bother you so much?

Do you only talk about things that "bother you so much"? Why does it bother you so much that there's a lot of people talking about the poll?

I like the fact the press don't know zero about what's going on, they must hate knowing as little as we do.

The players I named and the player needing to adopt a new role is certainly not nothing. And the new coaching staff is also not nothing.
I'm not really giving any argument for Ten Hag here. I'm just speaking generally that a team will need to gel to a new league and the squad will need to adapt to a new coaching staff. I dont think it should take as long as it has now given Ten Hag has been here for 2 years and a lot of the players have been here already. But I do think there's a teething in period for Dalot, De Ligt, Maz, Ugarte and Zirkzee irrespective of who the coach is.

Dalot played the same role last season, the only difference is that ETH isn't switching his position with Mazraoui every other games like he did with AWB. Mazraoui isn't playing anything special, nor is De Ligt. In fact it should pointed that De Ligt and Mazraoui have the luxury of knowing each others, as footballer they grew up together in the same academy at the same time and then they played togehter at senior level, they are in a far better situation than if only one of them was integrated into the team. Ugarted is a non factor, he hasn't really played and there is no point good or bad to make regarding his influence on the team. And then we have Zirkzee who is the only decent argument when it comes to adaptation because he isn't playing in his favored role and has to learn something completely different.

And short term the coaching staff changes only make a big difference if the overall message is strikingly different but it isn't, ETH hasn't implemented a different tactic, it's the same tacticsw ith some tweaks implemented by different voices. And not surprisingly we have the similar results.

Do you only talk about things that "bother you so much"? Why does it bother you so much that there's a lot of people talking about the poll?
It doesn't. That's why I've not chronically moaned about it. I think I've done it twice ever, and no ones actually given a mature response.

The vast majority were pro ten hag
On this forum?

From memory, by the time we got near the end of last season it was a decent majority that wanted him sacked, but the FA Cup win swung it to a very slim majority wanted him kept (I seem to remember a 51/49 split). Maybe I'm misremembering it, but I could swear that was the case.

Outside this forum it did seem like a large majority though.

I have not concluded this. There's a flaw with your insinuation of confirmation bias and conclusions when you've not bothered to read the analysis and parameters prior.
If you weren’t a victim of confirmation bias, you would look at the full picture and take all data, compile it, then draw a conclusion. Most of us here have done that. Taking 2 or 3 data points out of 25 data points that support a your narrative while ignoring the other 23 is classic confirmation bias. Your analysis around the two or three points might be solid, but the very fact that you’ve ignored the rest is your downfall.

Example: Anchorage, Alaska had its coldest winter in 25 years in 2024, therefore we can conclude that climate change does not exist.

If you weren’t a victim of confirmation bias, you would look at the full picture and take all data, compile it, then draw a conclusion. Most of us here have done that. Taking 2 or 3 data points out of 25 data points that support a your narrative while ignoring the other 23 is classic confirmation bias. Your analysis around the two or three points might be solid, but the very fact that you’ve ignored the rest is your downfall.

Example: Anchorage, Alaska had its coldest winter in 25 years in 2024, therefore we can conclude that climate change does not exist.
I know what confirmation bias is. I indirectly asked how you can accuse me of confirmation bias when you didn't even know what my conclusion was.

Also you assumed my conclusion was that Eric Ten Hag was a good manager, and then missed out what, 75% of his career as a manager when making your own point. Is that not confirmation bias?

Anyway you accused me of a conclusion I never made and assumed a bias. I dont even know what to call that. It's just weird targeting.

Great. So 2 draws saves him again. Whilst we’re closer to relegation and closer to getting knocked out of Europa.

Don't believe it. It's clear now that Ineos aren't talking to anyone about this subject, so they're all guessing. I think it's safe to say that he won't be sacked at all this season now, otherwise they'd have done it already. If he doesn't get 8th place or above he'll probably go in the summer. Even then I wouldn't bank on it though as they seem to be liking what they're seeing so far, enough to want to keep him.

And I expect there'll be many more goals that save shit performances, and moments from our better players that will nick us points. So I just can't see it ever being so bad that he gets sacked.

I know what confirmation bias is. I indirectly asked how you can accuse me of confirmation bias when you didn't even know what my conclusion was.

Also you assumed my conclusion was that Eric Ten Hag was a good manager, and then missed out what, 75% of his career as a manager when making your own point. Is that not confirmation bias?

Anyway you accused me of a conclusion I never made and assumed a bias. I dont even know what to call that. It's just weird targeting.
We’ve all seen your posts mate. We know where you stand. It’s fine. Just wanted to point it out to you and make you aware of what you are doing.

It doesn't. That's why I've not chronically moaned about it. I think I've done it twice ever, and no ones actually given a mature response.

Patrolling people's posts and/or flippant remarks regarding a poll - in a thread with a poll - is hardly a masterclass in maturity. Especially with the framing you did.

It is a thread with a poll, people will comment on it. Moving on.

Don't believe it. It's clear now that Ineos aren't talking to anyone about this subject, so they're all guessing. I think it's safe to say that he won't be sacked at all this season now, otherwise they'd have done it already. If he doesn't get 8th place or above he'll probably go in the summer. Even then I wouldn't bank on it though as they seem to be liking what they're seeing so far, enough to want to keep him.

And I expect there'll be many more goals that save shit performances, and moments from our better players that will nick us points. So I just can't see it ever being so bad that he gets sacked.
Why keep saying this kind of thing? I assume to stir things up.

Really pointless comments.

We’ve all seen your posts mate. We know where you stand. It’s fine. Just wanted to point it out to you and make you aware of what you are doing.
You haven't made me aware of anything outside of you making up conclusions and falling into a bias you accused me of.

Patrolling people's posts and/or flippant remarks regarding a poll - in a thread with a poll - is hardly a masterclass in maturity. Especially with the framing you did.

I didn't know a post to ask why someone is bothered by a poll slightly changing was patrolling. Answering with "why are you bothered that I'm bothered" isnt the benchmark of maturity either.

You appear somewhat sensitive to a small question, let's leave it.

To be fair there’s very little maturity on show in this thread currently. Both sides of the coin.

Complete fallacy;

We are not creating good chances, unless Rashford, Garnacho or Amad run past 3+ players we create nothing, and then it is either them shooting or a cross fired across the area too hard to be capitalised on, there is no point having striker in ETH's system because they are just not utilised unless playing in a 10 position, where he already has at least one midfielder operating.

There is attacking talent and creativity in this squad, but the system and tactics employed by ETH are stunting this, or are we saying that Eriksen, Casemiro, Bruno, Rashford, Mount and Garnacho who have all shown decent ability to create assists and score throughout their careers suddenly cannot do it? or that Hoijlund, Amad and Zirkzee who have likewise shown this albeit in lesser leagues are incapable, most teams outside of the top 4 do not have half the creative talent we have, but the system is junk, absolute trash, I could set a team up to neutralise it and exploit the defence and I have never managed a football team before.

The big difference between a manager like ETH and a good manager, or even great manager, is that ETH has a system, maybe a variation or 2 but a system and he basically sticks players into and expects it to work, a good manager or better looks at the players they have and moulds their system and tactics to get the maximum they can out of the team as individuals and as a whole,

Look back to SAF, he constantly changed systems and tactics to suit his players and the opposition, and despite popular belief SAF did not have 22 superstars, players we would look on with scorn in the current set up like Fortune, Cruyff, Johnsen, Wallace, Beardsmore, Blomqvist, Smith, and there are dozens more, are they really better players than those we have in this squad, no not at all but SAF didn't ask them to do something that they were not capable, he just got the best out of them, that is why even in his last season he was able to get a title out of a squad that was certainly not the best in the league.

Look at Pep even he has always promoted ticca-tacca shite but how he has done it has changed team to team, squad to squad, when Silva left, when De Bruyne is injured he changes the system, he does it in game, Barcelona played different to Bayern, and likewise both different to City, why? because Pep has different players and the opposition in the league is different, if he picked up the Barcelona model and dropped it into the city team next game it would not work, or at least as well as his current tactics do .

ETH has just tried to pick up what he did with Ajax and plonk it down at OT, squeezed the players he has into his vision without any regard to whether it is getting the best out of them or whether it will work, trust the process, if I keep doing the same thing time after time sooner or later it must work!! oh and then occasionally he will revert to the system he inherited Ole-ball and lo and behold will pull a result out of the bag.

I am confident that any manager we could pick, even a dinosaur like Warnock could get this team back to basics, playing to strengths, tighten up the midfield and defence and get us scoring more goals, ok long term we want more, but for anyone to suggest that ETH is getting the maximum out of this group of players and therefore changing him would be pointless is simply ludicrous.

One thing is certain sure even if ETH somehow got his model working for a season it would not provide sustainable success, ETH too inflexible, and that is the biggest issue, opposing managers can easily set up against us, they know in advance that we will attack only down the flanks or on the break so can block those areas off.... nothing is coming through the middle unless it is from a defender because our midfielders are too advanced, the opposition know they can play out because of the huge gap between our midfield and defence, so there is always an out ball, add in that the right wing will always be open because for some reason Dalot is playing almost in the opposition penalty area.... even if you had 11 perfect players the system is still there to be exploited, you cannot get 9 out of 10 performances from each player each match, and that is what you need for ETH's system to stand any chance, it is a chimera of other systems and as a result has massive holes, which for some reason he cannot see, despite every pundit in world football pointing them out.
fecking brilliant post. Should be pinned or bookmarked.

Also 100% agreed that all the dinosaur managers like Warnock, Big Sam and Mick McCarthy would have us more coherent than Ten Hag.

You haven't made me aware of anything outside of you making up conclusions and falling into a bias you accused me of.
Ah, I see. Chasing our own tails here. Obfuscate, misdirect and voila, you can claim victory. You’re “Back” you’ve been posting excuses for Ten Hag for over a year now. I probably shouldn’t have opened up this can of worms.

If you can’t see the obvious confirmation bias, you never will.

Have a good day mate.

Ah, I see. Chasing our own tails here. Obfuscate, misdirect and voila, you can claim victory. You’re “Back” you’ve been posting excuses for Ten Hag for over a year now. I probably shouldn’t have opened up this can of worms.

If you can’t see the obvious confirmation bias, you never will.

Have a good day mate.

I am genuinely confused. You say misdirected when you've made up a conclusion I never stated, and then you accused me of confirmation bias when you were guilty of it in your own analysis.

Let's just call it a day, I agree.

This is the new approach you seem to have. Label anyone who's rightfully pissed off with the manager situation into someone acting hysterical.

Let’s be clear, there’s plenty of people unhappy who aren’t hysterical and there’s plenty of people unhappy who are being absolutely hysterical.

While this is obvious think about how stupid it is to continue to with thought process.

We all know he will be sacked eventually (End of the season at the latest) No better time than now, why willingly throw the season away.but also this should be easy enough because I'm the ETH era a draw counts as a good result

Hasn't this literally been the case every two games since Liverpool? I doubt he's going anywhere unless we literally lose every game. A lose and a draw in the next two would probably be enough to keep his job safe. At this point, it seems like they are determined to give him the season.