Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
We don’t know exactly why things aren’t working. What we do know is that Ten Hag is all about details, what you say makes sense.

The players can’t perform consistently. It seems to me that Ten Hag is putting down very high markers and demands that can’t be met by the players yet.

Other top teams manage it; dumbing down or going for an easier strategy won’t make us competitive with them.
Genuine question, do you have more time for him because he’s Dutch? Or are you generally this willing to forgive and accept with all our managers?

This is nonsense, there’s no way any club would act like this. What happens if we draw those two games as well, does he then get another two games? Where does it end? That cycle could theoretically go on forever.
A problem only if we keep believing these media created "watch out next 2 games" stories. This 2 game theories were done prior to the October international break as well. At some point people would need to call out the media BS.

That’s because you said he would deserve to be sacked if he had us in the same position as Ole, so thought it was only suitable to point out that he’d actually need to improve considerably to even get there. We are currently in a worse position than we have been in for… well, a long time. I also fear it’s not the bottom yet.
I said he deserves to be sacked if we get to mid november and find ourselves 4 points off 16th, much closer to relegation than the top (Ole was 23 points off that).
And I also said the form is a factor. So putting those two things together, a hypothetical of 3 wins 1 draw from 5 wouldn't put us closer to the bottom than the top, and our form itself would be much improved and thus not be sackable.

Were we not 6th or 7th and only 6 points off 4th when Ole got sacked?
We were 7th, but I'm unsure what relation that has to my point?

OIe deserved to be fired but just to note we were 6 points off 4th and 8 points behind Liverpool, we are currently 6 points off 4th and 10 points behind Liverpool. In fairness it doesn't matter because then we were coming off the back of finishing 2nd and what looked like a really ambitious summer, we're now a club that has a new reality of being a slightly above average Premier League side that is hoping to develop so I'm not sure there's any point in using how we performed under Ole as a reference point.
Objectively there's a strong argument that Ten Hag deserves a firing now too.
I disagree with us being a slightly above average PL side. I think this is true for our attack but not midfield and defence, as such we should be doing more.

It’s incomprehension, not condescension. That’s just your inference.

Some of the takes of late are nuts.

Doesn’t help that it’s international week I suppose.

Some people could do with just calming down a little
No, it's condescension. Or 'laughing at', if you like that better. Again, please stop it. I'm saying this as a moderator.

Basically if we lose to Brentford and/or Fenerbache all the club big wigs will meet in London for 6 hours to decide if the next 2 games after that will decide Ten Hag's fate.

To be fair they didn't meet for 7 hours to talk about ETH. The press made that one up on the back of the existence of a board meeting, meeting that happens every year in late September or early October, it's the one in Barcelona erly September that was more peculiar. And before people lose it at a later date, generally there is an other board meeting late November, early December.

Ah that clears it all up. Our players (all the ones Ten Hag signed for £600m) are not capable of performing to the very high markers he's setting.

He's not a follicularly deficient fraud with very little managerial or coaching competence. He's actually transcended football and is on a whole different level to the rest of the game.

Makes perfect sense!

Ah that clears it all up. Our players (all the ones Ten Hag signed for £600m) are not capable of performing to the very high markers he's setting.

He's not a follicularly deficient fraud with very little managerial competences at all. He's actually transcended football and is on a whole different level to the rest of the game.

Makes perfect sense!
Who is saying this?

This.

7 games played
Negative goal difference
8 points out of possible 21
Lost two games at home by 3 goals

The stats are just ridiculous, I don’t even know how anyone can justify those.

We can hire first class top execs but letting performances like this go unpunished is setting the club up for failure.

It’s like the only people who take the club serious are the fans, because the players, coaches and owners don’t.
What kind of punishment though?
Should the same kind of punishment be administered to the club managements that are below Utd in the league?

Basically if we lose to Brentford and/or Fenerbache all the club big wigs will meet in London for 6 hours to decide if the next 2 games after that will decide Ten Hag's fate.
What I’d give to be a fly on the wall on these meetings.

I said he deserves to be sacked if we get to mid november and find ourselves 4 points off 16th, much closer to relegation than the top (Ole was 23 points off that).
And I also said the form is a factor. So putting those two things together, a hypothetical of 3 wins 1 draw from 5 wouldn't put us closer to the bottom than the top, and our form itself would be much improved and thus not be sackable.
I’m pretty sure we will be closer to relegation than top in November. We are 10 points from the top and only 5 above relegation now, so there’s already a pretty sizeable gap. Even if we were to get 10 points in the next 5, I am not sure this would do it as we’d probably still be 10+ from the top, so we would have to count on the 18th placed team to be on less than 7 which is very unlikely.

We were 31 points off top and 34 points above relegation last year but Luton got relegated with 26 points at 18th spot which is abnormal. It’s typically more than 30 points and closer to 35 to stay up, and 90+ to win the league.

I wouldn’t really have ‘points above 16th place’ as a metric and still find it super weird that you pay so much attention to if. It’s not much more relevant than points over 12th and points above/below 9th placed team after the same game week in 1994. I’ve literally never heard ‘points above 16th place’ being used to measure performance, it’s not even a relegation zone or anything, it’s just a random spot in the table.

Btw Ole was obviously not 23 off top after 12 games, having won 17 points. That’s not even mathematically possible.

I mean how do you watch us play in any game in the last year and think 'yeah these tactics are superb. It's the players who are not doing the tactics justice'.... :lol:

At this point I dont think ETH understands concepts like press triggers or rest defence. Or even what the word compact means, because we've never been it at any point in the last 2 years.

When you look at our roster, it would be perfect for Tuchel's 343 system with which he played with Celski.
Onana/Kepa
DC right- Yoro/Aspi
DC- De Ligt/Silva
DC left- Lisandro or Maguire/Rudiger
RB- Dalot/James
LB- Shaw/Chilwell
DMC - Casemiro/Kante
DMC - Mainoo/Jorginho
AMC- Bruno/Pulisic
AMC- Mount/Mount
ST - Zirkzee/Havertz

That is a team who would dominate with possession and be very compact in defensive phase. Sure, that team wouldn't play in a way what lots of United fans want (direct and quick through the wings) but having a control in games would be refreshing.

If you step back from it all and just look at the very basics, forget the politics and layers of arguments either way and think of this with a clear mind.

Manchester United:
One of the biggest clubs in the world.
One of the biggest budgets in the world.
One of the most successful clubs in the world.
One of the biggest fan bases in the world.

Then ask yourself if the results, league position and current situation, reflect all of the above.

Just the basics, nothing more.

I mean how do you watch us play in any game in the last year and think 'yeah these tactics are superb. It's the players who are not doing the tactics justice'.... :lol:

At this point I dont think ETH even understands concepts like press triggers or rest defence. Or even what the word compact means because we've never been it in 2 years.

We all know that the tactics are senseless, at least anyone that understand geometry and physics.

The first sentence? NLUnited. The rest is heavy sarcasm.
He said yet, and that's probably a subtle but key point. Players are bedding in and won't hit the standards straight away looks like his point. I'm not saying I fully agree but it's not an outrageous take or without merit.

He said yet, and that's probably a subtle but key point. Players are bedding in and won't hit the standards straight away looks like his point. I'm not saying I fully agree but it's not an outrageous take or without merit.

It is indeed a key point when after 28 months in the job the manager is yet to make his tactics and instructions workable, I don't know if the issue is the players.

It is indeed a key point when after 28 months in the job the manager is yet to make his tactics and instructions workable, I don't know if the issue is the players.
I think the argument is that with a squad overhaul you need time for players to gel.

The other side though is that we’ve only really signed 4 players, one of whom has barely played so far and two have played together for years which should at least be slightly helpful.

I think the argument is that with a squad overhaul you need time for players to gel.

The other side though is that we’ve only really signed 4 players, one of whom has barely played so far and two have played together for years which should at least be slightly helpful.

That's only relevant if you actually overhauled the squad. In reality ETH has been coaching the core of this team for pretty much two years. The talks about time are total BS, things could improve in the future but it won't be because time did its work but because ETH pulled his head from his own backside.

I’m pretty sure we will be closer to relegation than top in November. We are 10 points from the top and only 5 above relegation now, so there’s already a pretty sizeable gap. Even if we were to get 10 points in the next 5, I am not sure this would do it as we’d probably still be 10+ from the top, so we would have to count on the 18th placed team to be on less than 7 which is very unlikely.

We were 31 points off top and 34 points above relegation last year but Luton got relegated with 26 points at 18th spot which is abnormal. It’s typically more than 30 points and closer to 35 to stay up, and 90+ to win the league.

I wouldn’t really have ‘points above 16th place’ as a metric and still find it super weird that you pay so much attention to if. It’s not much more relevant than points over 12th and points above/below 9th placed team after the same game week in 1994. I’ve literally never heard ‘points above 16th place’ being used to measure performance, it’s not even a relegation zone or anything, it’s just a random spot in the table.

Btw Ole was obviously not 23 off top after 12 games, having won 17 points. That’s not even mathematically possible.
I get what your expectation is, but you asked whether I'd sack Ole from say 10points out of 15 and my answer is that he'd be a lot closer to the top than the bottom in that regard, and in much better form so its a no.

Last season was atrocious but rightly or wrongly he's been given a go into this season which is why I'd prefer to keep our framing to the campaign we're in as it stands.

My "points above 16th" wasn't a metric. It just an illustration to show how bad and unsalvageable the season was in Mid-November. My apologies on the points behind Liverpool stat, that was looking at a big 6 mini league not in the campaign in question. We were something like 12 points from top, 8 points off top 4 and 5 points away from relegation or 16th.

If Ten Hag got to that level in mid november he should be of course sacked all the same.

I mean he's brought in a new RB, CB, CM and Striker whilst a current RB is undertaking a role at LB which needs some familiarisation. That's going to take some time to bed in surely?

They wont hit any standards in a broken tactical system with no competent plan for what to do when we lose possession, or just generally how to defend as a compact unit.

It's obvious now but at the time people didnt realise just how much heavy lifting Varane did for us in ETH's first season. His last ditch defending in our box was at times miraculous. Now we dont have that and we're relying on unexpected Onana heroics to keep scorelines from being routs.
I think we were broken against Liverpool and Spurs - totally. But can I ask which other games you thought there was a very clear tactical problem?

Also difficult for players to gel when you drop the 'first choice' CB pair (£100m ex-Ajax duo) and the 'first choice' new holding midfielder (£50m) in favour of Maguire (tried to sell in back to back summer windows), Evans (supposed to be just a charity/token squad role), Eriksen (planning to leave next summer) and Lindelof (club tried to sell him for peanuts a few weeks ago).

That's the thing. There is no plan, no method and logically no palpable improvements. Beyond the tactical issues, there is no overarching logic in the way ETH has led the squad, his decisions seem to fit two categories kneejerk reactions or apathy.

When you look at our roster, it would be perfect for Tuchel's 343 system with which he played with Celski.
Onana/Kepa
DC right- Yoro/Aspi
DC- De Ligt/Silva
DC left- Lisandro or Maguire/Rudiger
RB- Dalot/James
LB- Shaw/Chilwell
DMC - Casemiro/Kante
DMC - Mainoo/Jorginho
AMC- Bruno/Pulisic
AMC- Mount/Mount
ST - Zirkzee/Havertz

That is a team who would dominate with possession and be very compact in defensive phase. Sure, that team wouldn't play in a way what lots of United fans want (direct and quick through the wings) but having a control in games would be refreshing.
The majority of United fans don't seem to actually know anything about football. They wanted him to stay on because we scumbagged a cup.

We should have moved to a dominant style of football a long time ago.

I get the sentiment but I don't think theres a single root cause of the issue, and I think player psychology is one of the issues, irrespective of whether he's brought a new bunch in or not.
Melissa Reddy has been briefed the same, that there's some issue with the player psychology of that dressing room and it needs to be addressed.

Of course the players are better than midtable, this manager is too. He's finished below expectation for the first time in his career last season. That's neither here nor there when youre 7 games in. If after another 5 games it's mid November and we're where we were under Ole, sure I get it. But I don't think the true level is where we are at currently.

By the way no one is saying there's one problem and that's the players. But you also can't ignore that we've created plenty of chances in certain games that just havent been put away, and there is a responsibility on our forward line to be more clinical than they are.
Classic confirmation bias. You’re searching for data to fit a deluded conclusion that is predetermined.
The pendulum has swung indeed. Aside from very few who would not turn their backs on him if we were battling relegation with 3 games to go and would still seek the root of the issue elsewhere, pretty much everyone that supported him weeks ago is now in full out sack mode.
It’s just confirmation bias mate.

That's the thing. There is no plan, no method and logically no palpable improvements. Beyond the tactical issues, there is no overarching logic in the way ETH has led the squad, his decisions seem to fit two categories kneejerk reactions or apathy.
I genuinely think he’s trying to fix things. In his mind, everything he is doing is logical. He’s just incompetent. You are starting to see frustration with Ruud.

Classic confirmation bias. You’re searching for data to fit a deluded conclusion that is predetermined.
How is it confirmation bias and what do you think my conclusion is?

Twente. Palace second half. Fulham second half. Porto as soon as the second goal went in.

Villa was a desperation all-out-defend setup so we wont call that a tactical problem, even though we were shockingly inept in possession.
What was so wrong about the Twente game tactically speaking? We had almost 60% possession and only surrendered 7 shots on our goal. The goal from them came from 2 individual errors by Maguire and then Eriksen which I do not find to be tactical.

Palace second half was really a tactical problem? What was it exactly? Fulham I recall, they broke on us twice, so I see where you are coming from there.

We have seen League 1 teams better organised than us. Out stats last season suggested we had some of the best defenders in the league that prevented us from finishing lower table. This season our defensive performance stats are closer to average, and we concede as many as our performance deserves.

There are valid reasons to consider underperformance unconnected to a manager, but a lack of very basic organisation, as well as clear and obvious deficiencies in the tactical setup not being addressed, suggest that things would improve under a different manager. The players might not be good enough, or need time to settle, but that should not have a significant impact on organisation and tactical setup.

We don’t know exactly why things aren’t working. What we do know is that Ten Hag is all about details, what you say makes sense.

The players can’t perform consistently. It seems to me that Ten Hag is putting down very high markers and demands that can’t be met by the players yet.

Other top teams manage it; dumbing down or going for an easier strategy won’t make us competitive with them.
I suspect it is Ten Hag who is the problem, specifically how he communicates with the team and projects his ideology.

My theory is the club were aware of this to some degree, along with his lack of man management skills, which is why they brought in Steve McClaren in addition to MvG in the first instance. This season they’ve gone with Rene Hake and RvN. It seems a theme that he needs more than just an assistant, or at least the club feels he does.

I don’t think the players are blameless in all of this however I do think Ten Hag isn’t getting through to them fully, and also likely not getting their buy in to what he wants, due to how he is as a person. All the top managers have that charismatic side which is important to bring everyone on board with what you’re telling them to do. Ten Hag always appears somewhat impersonal to me and lacking in emotion and awareness. This is likely also why he’s so frustrated as he can’t understand why his ideas aren’t coming to fruition consistently and I’m sure he’ll blame this on the players and appear more abrasive and arrogant.

Despite what you read on here I do think Ten Hag has shown the ability to be tactically smart against the best and has had good results in one off games sporadically. Some of these games the players were likely highly motivated themselves, like the FA Cup final for instance, so the other aspects came together. Sadly in a league setting where you need to perform over a longer piece, and in terms of a project where you want to achieve buy in over a longer period to develop and implement something more permanent, we are never going to get there under Ten Hag in my opinion due to his shortcomings in those areas.

While this is obvious think about how stupid it is to continue to with thought process.

We all know he will be sacked eventually (End of the season at the latest) No better time than now, why willingly throw the season away.but also this should be easy enough because I'm the ETH era a draw counts as a good result

Great. So 2 draws saves him again. Whilst we’re closer to relegation and closer to getting knocked out of Europa.

I mean he's brought in a new LB, CB, CM and Striker. That's going to take some time to bed in surely?

The players may need time to bed in but the overall tactics shouldn't be affected, he should be able to have the 20 other players operate at a good enough level otherwise why are we even optimistic for the 4 players that you mentioned, none of them are certified world beaters.

And that's being generous because managers integrate new players every years, in fact any manager that isn't at the helm of one of the wealthiest lose a key player every summer and has to integrate his replacement quickly while maintaining a similar level of performances. What you are suggesting for ETH wouldn't be accepted for most midtable clubs because they can't afford it, they can't afford that kind of nonsense.

I am a bit confused here but wasn't eth the man most of you wanted this season following the FA cup win? What changed? He showed us last season that he was shit in the league and in Europe after all. Don't worry though. He will probably win a domestic cup
Not really, a lot of us who are complaining in here wanted him out most of last season and remained that way after the FA Cup win.

These X posts are written by people who must not have worked a day in their life. Somehow their sources know but the main man in charge doesn't? Get real. He will know what his objectives are to avoid being let go.

The players may need time to bed in but the overall tactics shouldn't be affected, he should be able to have the 20 other players operate at a good enough level otherwise why are we even optimistic for the 4 players that you mentioned, none of them are certified world beaters.

And that's being generous because managers integrate new players every years, in fact any manager that isn't at the helm of one of the wealthiest lose a key player every summer and has to integrate his replacement quickly while maintaining a similar level of performances. What you are suggesting for ETH wouldn't be accepted for most midtable clubs because they can't afford it, they can't afford that kind of nonsense.
The tactics are tweaked to last year and its a new coaching staff with the new signings, so I certainly expect there to be a bedding in period. What I do also expect however is a much better return from the 7 games in spite of that.

How is it confirmation bias and what do you think my conclusion is?
Your conclusion is that Ten Hag is a good manager. Saying we’re only 7 games in is inaccurate. We’re 125 games in. You’re searching for data to support a conclusion, not looking at data to make a conclusion. That’s the difference mate.

I’m pretty disappointed with how this has been handled to be honest. I just don’t have any faith left in this manager and it just seems like we’re wasting time persisting.
I am disappointed in INEOS tbh but having seen how they got Nice meandering around midtable I guess we were too optimistic to expect any better. I don't think the decision to sack the manager should be made by committee or through votes, that's just pushing the bucket.

We have people within the INEOS team who, having kept an inept manager against best industry practice, now know that admitting to this mistake so early will weaken their influence. Sir Jim should have taken note of who pushed the hardest to keep ETH in the summer and sidelined them on this call.

This should be a Dan Ashworth recommendation and then the senior Executive team, the co-owners, make the final call. This dilly dallying while we sink deeper into mediocrity will only hurt us because potential candidates won't wait for us to get our act together they will move on whilst they dither.

The vast majority were pro
Some people wanted to see how he fares after a very good first season and a very bad second season. I don't think there is much harm in that. If a lot of these posters have seen enough after the first 7-10 games then fair play.

However well people think we played til the league cup in his first season (I don’t think we were that good), doesn’t justify whatever faith some seem to have on him.

“Back” poll option creeping up. Crazy stuff