Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's all very grim. A zombie state of the not quite dead yet relationship.

Henry Winter summed it up with his line about how INEOS and ETH have long since lost any love for each other and how growing disaffection on systems, transfer dealings, tactics and leadership, means we've drifted apart and are just going through the motions. Barely tolerating each other but unable to do the right thing and end it.

I was one of those who thought ETH had the potential to be a good appointment, who would finally help us turn the page on a string of mistakes. An in-demand coach, ready to move to the next level and progress us in the right direction. I wanted him backed and thought he should get time. All the more after the first 6-8 months.

Even during last season, I thought we should show patience and create some stability, recognising how badly we'd been hit with injuries.

I was wrong of course. And I think INEOS got it wrong. He should have been fired after the FA Cup Final, leaving him to leave on a high and the club to find a replacement who could take forward the re-set.

It's been obvious for a long time that he's out of his depth and that what worked for him in the Eredivisie couldn't be replicated here. Some of that's about players (which, in part, he seems to have recognised), some of it's personalties (where it's not hard to see the impact of player power), some of it's his personality (he isn't a good leader), and some of it's dysfunction in what he inherited from the club's executive (just to pick 3, Antony, Mount and Casemiro were all terrible recruits but the club are all also complicit: a well-run operation doesn't do any of these deals) but most of it is on him.

He's failed to develop any sort of cohesive, progressive, approach, where we start to control games, stop getting over-run in midfield and begin to score more goals. That's the most basic requirement and he hasn't managed it.

Of course, he is going because it's irretrievable. The club know that and it's all about when he goes, how it happens and who replaces him. What a mess.
Good post.

I don’t know how anyone can think he’s what we need at this point. The club got it wrong, we as fans got it wrong, it’s alright to admit a mistake. He’s simply not the guy.

I think there were plenty here in his first season who could see serious problems.

I remember around April. Only 3 points better than the horror season before, with a worse goal difference.

A good number of posters pointing out this isn't the huge improvement some wanted to see.

But the reaction was "agenda" or "wum"

Some posters were genuinely only seeing what they wanted to rather than what was actually happening.

I think there were plenty here in his first season who could see serious problems.

I remember around April. Only 3 points better than the horror season before, with a worse goal difference.

A good number of posters pointing out this isn't the huge improvement some wanted to see.

But the reaction was "agenda" or "wum"

Some posters were genuinely only seeing what they wanted to rather than what was actually happening.
Yep it's funny how eventually everyone catches up to some of us but we have to put up with abuse first.

I don't think its the same theme. I get you are royally pissed off at the situation but it appears as though you might be at a level where there is no rational thought behind keeping him that you'd respect the opinion of. That in itself might be a problem - and I don't really blame you for it because it's been poor for a prolonged period.

But from the eyes of INEOS they are trying to work out where the root cause of the issues are, and unlike us they see the trainings, they are close to the players and the coaching staff. They have appointed personnel with pedigree to do so. Could it be so implausible that the root of key problems we currently face is not managerial? Melissa Reddy has hinted strongly this to be the case, which would be consistent with the decision not to sack him if that's where their stance is.

We're all royally pissed, but yes maybe the fans who have been royally pissed off for over a year or longer are in an even worse state at this point. My honest opinion is there is absolutely nothing rational about this situation. Any ownership that comes into a club like United and even glances at the statistics, performances and results which led to us finishing 8th, and bottom of our CL group would not require wherever review/assessment they carried out. To then be pressured by fans after winning a domestic cup, against a side we are massive underdogs against, and would have won four out of five times had the final been played again, is just beyond incompetent. This is before the fact that we've undergone multiple embarrassments this season and he's still surviving on.

You could be here for a week and that would be enough for any competent person to realise that continuing with ETH is nothing short of self-sabotage.
You aren't nearly as informed or qualified as they are to make that conclusion to be fair.

The signing and constant playing of Wout Weghorst was the first horrific sign. Barely played a good game since February 2023.

This club is actually dead. It should just retire itself from the footballing side and announce itself as something else.
Give it to @horsechoker until the end of the season. Training sessions would be amazing.

"You want us to do what with it's neck?!"

We're all royally pissed, but yes maybe the fans who have been royally pissed off for over a year or longer are in an even worse state at this point. My honest opinion is there is absolutely nothing rational about this situation. Any ownership that comes into a club like United and even glances at the statistics, performances and results which led to us finishing 8th, and bottom of our CL group would not require wherever review/assessment they carried out. To then be pressured by fans after winning a domestic cup, against a side we are massive underdogs against, and would have won four out of five times had the final been played again, is just beyond incompetent.
But its important for owners to find the root cause of the problems. It's easy for us to say it's always going to be the manager. We might be right in many of these scenarios, but if you have well respected people with a lot more information to hand choosing for a different view, maybe they are evaluating the root cause to be elsewhere.

You aren't nearly as informed or qualified as they are to make that conclusion to be fair.
Yes but you can say the same thing about most fans compared to Woodward, Murtough & Arnold. Were they not informed and qualified? This argument doesn't make sense unfortunately.

The signing and constant playing of Wout Weghorst was the first horrific sign. Barely played a good game since February 2023.
Yeah we’ve never had such a prolonged period of shit. Near enough every game since March 2023 has been awful. Thousands of minutes of shit on a stick.

We're all royally pissed, but yes maybe the fans who have been royally pissed off for over a year or longer are in an even worse state at this point. My honest opinion is there is absolutely nothing rational about this situation. Any ownership that comes into a club like United and even glances at the statistics, performances and results which led to us finishing 8th, and bottom of our CL group would not require wherever review/assessment they carried out. To then be pressured by fans after winning a domestic cup, against a side we are massive underdogs against, and would have won four out of five times had the final been played again, is just beyond incompetent. This is before the fact that we've undergone multiple embarrassments this season and he's still surviving.
We played three finals (if you count the Shield) against Cheaty and were better in all of them.

What do we think will make the fans at OT properly turn?

They've been loyal, almost too loyal, so far but is there going to be a result that truly lights the touch paper?

Yes but you can say the same thing about most fans compared to Woodward, Murtough & Arnold. Were they not informed and qualified? This argument doesn't make sense unfortunately.
No you can't. Murtough, Woodward and Arnold are not remotely as qualified as Wilcox, Ashworth and Berada. These guys have big pedigree and a strong CV in their respective roles and are well respected in the industry.

What do we think will make the fans at OT properly turn?

They've been loyal, almost too loyal, so far but is there going to be a result that truly lights the touch paper?
When players look like they aren't making any effort and have hands on hips, the match going fans start to turn quite quickly.

No you can't. Murtough, Woodward and Arnold are not remotely as qualified as Wilcox, Ashworth and Berada. These guys have big pedigree and a strong CV in their respective roles and are well respected in the industry.
Yes but my point is that most fans aren't as informed or qualified as the people I mentioned were and yet anyone could tell they were terrible. So far, INEOS haven't really shown us enough for our unconditional trust. On the contrary, there have been more worrying signs than positive.

We played three finals (if you count the Shield) against Cheaty and were better in all of them.

Which is truly bizarre, considering how consistently pathetic we are on the pitch. Maybe it's like the performance raising Liverpool did against SAF's United.

Yes but my point is that most fans aren't as informed or qualified as the people I mentioned were and yet anyone could tell they were terrible. So far, INEOS haven't really shown us enough for our unconditional trust. On the contrary, there have been more worrying signs than positive.
I see what you mean, but it's one thing pointing to incompetence when the CEO can't even point to the Stretford End and its another when the decision makers are actually qualified in their roles.

We can’t honestly be thinking of keeping him a single more game surely? We can‘t be THAT badly run. We are already a meme club but this would take it to new heights
Watch this space when we are sitting there next Summer, all happy with 9th place finish that Erik has led us to on top of getting to League Cup final and only narrowly losing to Liverpool, reviewing Brobbey, Neres and Tagliafico signings.

But its important for owners to find the root cause of the problems. It's easy for us to say it's always going to be the manager. We might be right in many of these scenarios, but if you have well respected people with a lot more information to hand choosing for a different view, maybe they are evaluating the root cause to be elsewhere.

Where would that be? Do other big clubs evaluate everything else but the manger in charge of how the team go about approaching games of football before, and during games, or is there another elephant in the room they choose to evaluate instead. I personally can't see it, maybe we're just a unique club who does things differently...

I don't think its the same theme. I get you are royally pissed off at the situation but it appears as though you might be at a level where there is no rational thought behind keeping him that you'd respect the opinion of. That in itself might be a problem - and I don't really blame you for it because it's been poor for a prolonged period.

But from the eyes of INEOS they are trying to work out where the root cause of the issues are, and unlike us they see the trainings, they are close to the players and the coaching staff. They have appointed personnel with pedigree to do so. Could it be so implausible that the root of key problems we currently face is not managerial? Melissa Reddy has hinted strongly this to be the case, which would be consistent with the decision not to sack him if that's where their stance is.
Could simply be that INEOS are aware they haven’t brought him the right players and coaches and will need to have another two windows to address that. In the meantime we should not judge him. I think we will need to spend another £500m on players and replace coaches as well before we give that performance evaluation thing another go.

Where would that be? Do other big clubs evaluate everything else but the manger in charge of how the team go about approaching games of football before, and during games, or is there another elephant in the room they choose to evaluate instead. Maybe I'm wrong.
I think it's been leaked in part to Melissa Reddy as psychological problems being a factor.

I'm all for giving people time, especially new owners who need to evaluate things. But when you buy a business, walk through the front door, and see the manager shitting into his hands and smearing it on the meeting room flipcharts every hour, on the hour... Well, you shouldn't just shrug your shoulders six months later if he's still doing it.

And he can talk it up as much as he wants, tell you it's a process. That's great but I really don't want any process that involves shit, thanks.

Which is truly bizarre, considering how consistently pathetic we are on the pitch. Maybe it's like the performance raising Liverpool did against SAF's United.
Bizarre , inexplicable, frustrating, bonkers.