Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Which might make it difficult to find someone with ambition who fancies the job. Our squad was not great and they have let ETH makes it even worse.
I don't mind inexperienced but good potential players in the team but to compensate them the team needs couple of really good players especially in the midfield to whom they can look up to and learn. That's not the case with this team. Which new manager will give any assurance? I can see why the management is reluctant. But anyway they will need to bite the bullet and find a new manager.

Not a bad result today to be honest but it's meaningless. If we had drawn this one after winning at Brighton and getting a draw against Liverpool at home or something then I would be far more willing to accept him staying on

We look absolutely dreadful going forward, Bruno has had one of the fastest declines I've ever seen. He was integral and now he can't get anything right at all. It can't all be the players being out of form there has to an issue with the coaching team and specifically ETH.

Even if we sack him to get the new manager bounce with RVN for a bit and get some vibes points then that's fine with me until we can get a permanent manager in.

He could get us relegated to the Championship the way things are going, and you’ll still have some folks defending him. Has to be opposition fans trolling on here.

Ridiculous if that feeble draw saves his job. We played like a team battling relegation today, oh wait nevermind that's what we are.

No logic can defend Ineos for not pulling the plug. I am sick and tired of hearing about everything being wonderful between ten Hag and the management. Soon the argument about judging the process in may will be gone. What a shambles.

Our owners are mugs. They want any excuse not to sack him so they can save money.

The issue with sacking him is financial fair play otherwise the owners don't care about the dozen of millions that it would cost because it doesn't come from their pocket.

I get that people are sick of him and want him sacked but I just don’t get the point in resorting to ridiculous arguments other than to vent your frustration. He’s been objectively more successful than both Solskjaer and Moyes. It’s ridiculous to claim he will be classed as having a worse tenure than either of them.
Nonense, you don't get to call something 'objective' then spout your opinion. Cup wins are great, but ultimately they're a knockout and for a top half PL side in general you might have to win 3 or 4 tough games (last season United beat Liverpool and City, which is excellent, but its still only 2 games).

The league will always be the yardstick of a manager and Ten Hag has been a total failure. Finished 3rd then 8th and we're sitting 14th, we're getting objectively worse. Ole's finished were 6th, 3rd and 2nd. By no means waes Ole a good manager imo, but ETH has presided over our two worst starts to a PL season. In my opinion ETH's performance in the league has been significantly worse than Ole. If the two managers were somewhat close then sure, use cups as a tie break, but they're not. I genuinely believe we'll finish bottom half this season if he stays. There are 10 sides in this division that are comfortably better than us.

He had more then 2 years and we are sinking since the carabao cup.
Well the new football guys decided to keep him last season so I am not gonna question their decision or judgment at the moment.
Would you like to see the club burning because you want to see something that won’t happen ?
To be honest the club has been burning for the past decade so showing a bit of patience with a manager who has won two trophies wouldn’t do any harm.
My mom forced me to eat vegetables even if it was living a bad taste in my mouth. I like them now. Bad test in your mouth is not the worst thing in the world if you want to stay healthy. And we look ill at the moment.
I like your analogy and your mom did the right thing by teaching you to eat vegetables even if they left a bad taste in your mouth at first. Much like how you grew to like vegetables we might not enjoy ten Hag’s current situation but sticking through the tough times may lead to long term success.

'Dipped a bit in the league' :lol:

7-0 overwrites the league cup on its own. If we're talking about legacies, Ten Hag's will boil down to one good result yielding one feel-good trophy win. Even that ended up tainted by keeping him as manager and the embarrassing fallout afterwards that brought early doubts on the new ownership.

Yeap. I barely remember the cup wins. The 7-0 loss has been etched into my memory for life.

The issue with sacking him is financial fair play otherwise the owners don't care about the dozen of millions that it would cost because it doesn't come from their pocket.

The best solution imo is to let him see out the season. Sack him in the summer, and jack up the season ticket prices to make up some of the lost CL/sponsorship revenue.

That'll buy us some PSR room to do this and other things.

Well the new football guys decided to keep him last season so I am not gonna question their decision or judgment at the moment.

To be honest the club has been burning for the past decade so showing a bit of patience with a manager who has won two trophies wouldn’t do any harm.

I like your analogy and your mom did the right thing by teaching you to eat vegetables even if they left a bad taste in your mouth at first. Much like how you grew to like vegetables we might not enjoy ten Hag’s current situation but sticking through the tough times may lead to long term success.

I'm intrigued by that why sticking with ETH may lead to long term success? Is it specific to ETH or is it a case of just time given to anyone?

Doesn't really help himself, does he?

I think he might actually be ill. Surely a sane person doesn't believe anything he comes out with.
He's not wrong is he. We were organized, we were the better team. It's not a bad result against a good opponent.
What is he supposed to say, "we were shit again and I need to be sacked"?

Can't be too hard to comprehend that he is not as negative towards himself and the team as the raging mob on here.

I don't mind inexperienced but good potential players in the team but to compensate them the team needs couple of really good players especially in the midfield to whom they can look up to and learn. That's not the case with this team. Which new manager will give any assurance? I can see why the management is reluctant. But anyway they will need to bite the bullet and find a new manager.
The fact we didn't bring an experienced striker in beggars belief. OK bring a Rasmus in but he needs somebody to learn from and guide him, would have helped Garnacho with his decision making as well.

He's not wrong is he. We were organized, we were the better team. It's not a bad result against a good opponent.
What is he supposed to say, "we were shit again and I need to be sacked"?

Can't be too hard to comprehend that is not as negative towards himself and the team as the raging mob on here.
There's a growing number of people who are pissed. Theyl foam at the mouth at any half opportunity until he's gone.

Spurs and Ange are as average as they come and competely dismantled us at home. We are so shit it’s unreal. Actively and throughly damaging the club now, as are the fans defending this absolute nonsense

They own two other clubs and there's plenty of evidence from their ownership of those two that you can make a fairly educated judgment about their competency.

He doesn't have to peddle any nonsense that club wants out, he may choose to do so but it's not an obligation, plenty of beat reporters around the world don't go out of their way to share every nonsense that clubs PR teams fabricate.
That's fair enough. I think it's at least a good indicator of where the club are with Ten Hag. There's no way he tweets that if he was on the brink of being sacked. He'll be here till the Brentford game at the very least.

It wouldn't fit the plan and the statements made just so very very recently, but it feels like it's really coming. Again, whether it's the right move is never 100% certain, but it does feel more and more like - for whatever reason - this is not gonna work out. Maybe the "process" needed to be a full restart to get an ETH style to work at a BPL team, let alone one where the squad has a reputation for either inconsistency or going against the manager's plans. Maybe ETH is just not figuring it out or capable to lead a team like this at this time, in general. But the longer this drags on, no matter ETH's actual level, it's hard for a squad to keep faith in someone's methods if it's been like this for so long, no matter the players' levels.

The beginning of the season I felt like improvements were actually visible and there was some sense of stability. Perhaps it is a better setup and the bad games came at the worst times, like De Ligt mentioned, and like De Ligt has shown, confidence is not there, and it hursts everyone and everything. Perhaps that's enough reason to work on the mental aspect and then get back on track, or that's enough reason to not keep falling back into the same cycle, and let that cycle turn into a downward spiral, once again, once more.

Honestly it's hard to say right now. I was pro-ETH before and during, and still believe it should be possible. But, it's hard to pretend that it's a sign of stability right now to keep him on at this helm. It doesn't have to be, as that is the status of United now for more than 11 years, and it's only gotten worse, as has the attraction to prospected players. Expecting things to be smooth sailing is just as ridiculous as blindly thinking this will all get better with just a bit more time.

But one thing I do know is that these coming days I wouldn't be surprised to see the news of the end of this partnership. It wouldn't fit the three-windows(-summers)-and-inconsistency-till-then statements of just this past summer, but it would very well fit the procedures at a football club, let alone one with a status like United's. But then again, if his statements afterwards were correct, the plan is still on. But plans have been "on" before, CEOs "loved" managers before and technical boards have been "fully behind" managers before.

Guess we will see in the coming days.

I have a reason for standing behind the manager. he is the manager of the club I support.

You are right to say my standards have slipped and they have since Fergie left. We havent challenged for the league under 6 different managers since Fergie. We finished outside the top four in six seasons and we only won five trophies in 11 years and 2 of those won by ten hag. I am realistic about where we are as a club. As low as it may sound, my standard for this season is a top 4 finish and a good cup run or 5th place in the league and a Europa League win.
You’re acting as if the manager has absolutely no baring on the results, team, and expectations. So when will your standards change? After we’ve won the league again? Will you then expect us to be challenging for the tile and have expectations of the manager? Or does the manager just get a free pass constantly?

And while we’re on that topic, why do you think teams sack managers if it isn’t conducive to winning games of football? Do you think that if every team just got behind their manager instead of sacking them they’d all be successful? Or is this just something that’s exclusive to Manchester United?

Where do you think Villa, Arsenal, Liverpool, Brighton, or Spurs would be if their managers would have been given the same money to spend that Ten Hag has? Would they have regressed their teams?

I hate to break it to you but we are in the bottom 3 across all performance stats. These are stats associated with teams that get relegated. They’re not associated with teams that win the Europa league or finish anywhere near the top 4. Your posts are starting so sound as delusional as it gets.

That 45 minutes against Palace that yielded zero goals is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that regard. Outside of that for me it's been more of the same shite that was served up all last season. We can't defend and we're toothless in attack which isn't an ideal combination in football.

I am genuinely baffled how anyone would be eager to see more of this insipid crap. If it's taken 2+ seasons for him to turn us into a bottom half side in relegation form. How long will this imagined march back up the hill actually take? Do you think there's any chance of him finsihing top 4 this season?

Are we now building towards challenging for top 4 next year in his 4th season instead? So by year 5 of the Ten Hag era we'll be where exactly? Still hoping to finish 3rd-4th? Maybe flirting with a title challenge by year 6 or 7?
I dont disagree with the points you make. We were terrible last season (although we had a huge number of injuries) and our start this season hasnt been great. But all is not lost. We could still win the Europa League and we could still finish in the top four (though if I am being honest that will be tough). But I am hopeful for a 5th place finish and a Europa League win.

My argument is that we should give him time to turn things around. He knows hes under pressure and has to deliver. I am not comparing ten Hag to Fergie in any way but I read that Fergie could have been sacked if he lost the 1991 cup winners cup against Barca.

The troll is really getting mileage some good mileage out of some of you.

This has been done to death. We have had four managers before Ten Hag. None of them good enough.
Van Gaal and Jose hired far too late in their carreers both past it at the time of appointment.
Neither have achieved anything after us.
Ole and Moyes nowhere near the level required to manage us obviously.
Neither have achieved anything after us.
ETH with a reputation build on a champions league run that ended by beeing knocked out by Tottenham and also obviously not good enough.
Why is it so hard to understand that we simply made 5 bad choices over the last decade as far as appointing managers go.
It took United 17 years, 5 permanent managers and 6 months of Busby as interim before landing on Fergie.

If anything, Docherty and Sexton were given too much time. Big Ron was given over 5 years. Time doesn't = success.

Liverpool took almost 25 years to replace Dalglish. They went through 7 managers and 1 interim before bringing in Klopp. They were too patient at times. Houllier got 6 years and so did Rafa. They started to learn their lesson with Hodgson. He was dismissed quickly, Dalglish was moved on after 18 months. Rodgers didn't last long into his 4th season. He had a better record than ten Hag currently does when he was dismissed after 8 PL games. 12/24 points compared to ten Hag's 8/21.

It takes a special manager to manage clubs of this size. We haven't landed on one yet. Mourinho was just starting his decline when we hired him. ten Hag looked a good option on paper. But the step up from The Eredivisie has been too much.

Doesn't look like he's going to get the sack soon, only real noise is coming from the fans, very little hints from the press, unless INEOS are keeping things very close to their chest.

If he didn't get a contract extension the decision would have been made by now but it makes INEOS look a bit silly because they gave a big stamp of approval. The only way to save face and sack him would be to get a top manager immediately, someone like a Nagelsmann and say that the door just opened and they had to make a decision/opportunity to good to pass up. Otherwise, they will wait till the end of November/December to make a decision.

Yup. That league cup win will only be remembered if that's one of 2-3 trophies we win in the next 50 years.

The 7-0 will be a permanent on the clubs history. The one game an entire generation of PL football fans will always remember.

Sorry, but us winning the cup will be 'permanent on the clubs history'. How could it not be?

A generation of 'PL football fans' remember newcastle beating us 5-0, United changing shirts at half-time, Keane supposedly ending Haaaland's dad's career, Fergie Time, being 'lucky' to win a Treble, Coventry and Howard Webb. The same idiots who think it's funny claiming you are from Surrey.

No way in this good earth should our achievements be shat on to curry favour with that banter brigade.

They're not worth it and never will be.

Oh great, so he knows who the new manger is? Or have you struggled to read my posts too.

The only thing I've said is sacking him without a replacment is nuts. The fact you all find that so controversial belweilders me.

Tedious hystera is the best way to descibe the football forums these days.
How is it nuts? Surely RvN as an interim couldn't be any worse in the meantime? I doubt having no manager at all would even be worse.

It took United 17 years, 5 permanent managers and 6 months of Busby as interim before landing on Fergie.

If anything, Docherty and Sexton were given too much time. Big Ron was given over 5 years. Time doesn't = success.

Liverpool took almost 25 years to replace Dalglish. They went through 7 managers and 1 interim before bringing in Klopp. They were too patient at times. Houllier got 6 years and so did Rafa. They started to learn their lesson with Hodgson. He was dismissed quickly, Dalglish was moved on after 18 months. Rodgers didn't last long into his 4th season. He had a better record than ten Hag currently does when he was dismissed after 8 PL games. 12/24 points compared to ten Hag's 8/21.

It takes a special manager to manage clubs of this size. We haven't landed on one yet. Mourinho was just starting his decline when we hired him. ten Hag looked a good option on paper. But the step up from The Eredivisie has been too much.
Agree. We have to move on from Ten Hag now.

But he wants us to judge him only at the end of the season.

It will be too late by then - we'll get relegated at this rate. 5 goals scored in the PL of which 3 came in the Southampton game. Our stats this season are abysmal and he has no injury excuse this time.