Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
No doubt our league form this season has been poor. 8 points from 7 games and sitting in 14th place is simply not good enough and 2 points in the Europa League isnt great either. But I dont call for the manager to be sacked at this stage. Despite the disappointing results I have seen some promising performances this season. Apart from the Liverpool and Spurs games, our performances were not that bad even in the games we lost vs Brighton and City in the Community Shield. Theres no question Ten Hag needs to start winning consistently but I dont believe sacking him now is the right move. Lets get behind the team and the manager surely thats not too much to ask?
:lol:

He has won two cups. Ole won feck all and didn’t get us close in the league. Moyes took a side that won the league to 6th.

Our Europa League final loss was all down to Ole. It was pathetic. Ten Hag out foxed Guardiola and beat Liverpool on the way to that FA Cup.

I get that people are sick of him and want him sacked but I just don’t get the point in resorting to ridiculous arguments other than to vent your frustration. He’s been objectively more successful than both Solskjaer and Moyes. It’s ridiculous to claim he will be classed as having a worse tenure than either of them.
It’s not ridiculous to think that though, the league campaigns, lack of goals, results and massive losses are all worse

It will be too late by then - we'll get relegated at this rate. 5 goals scored in the PL of which 3 came in the Southampton game. Our stats this season are abysmal and he has no injury excuse this time.

Good lord. So that's 2 goals in 6 games...

What is happening?

It’s obvious that INEOS want to be seen as being rational and different to the Glazers. They’re more interested in being seen to be calm and measured rather than doing what is actually required.

What I was talking about in my earlier post. Tale of two halves. I didn't really bother highlighting the goal diff, because even the first 63 games are not good imo and indeed lag Ole and Jose over same number of games, but the past 62 games are just atrocious.

I think 62 games is a big enough sample size and sufficient to judge a trend. Persisting with the man is hoping for a miracle around the corner that we don't really see any signs of.

Games playedWin RateCumulative Goal Diff
First 63 games66.67%46
Second 62 games43.54%6
All 125 games55.2%52

Last edited:
Well the new football guys decided to keep him last season so I am not gonna question their decision or judgment at the moment.

To be honest the club has been burning for the past decade so showing a bit of patience with a manager who has won two trophies wouldn’t do any harm.

I like your analogy and your mom did the right thing by teaching you to eat vegetables even if they left a bad taste in your mouth at first. Much like how you grew to like vegetables we might not enjoy ten Hag’s current situation but sticking through the tough times may lead to long term success.

Holy crap!!

I can't even with some of this fanbase anymore.

Deluded.

What terrifies me the most is that EtH signings are also off form

Zirkzee
Martinez
De Ligt
Ugarte

None of these are currently in favour and unfortunately rightly so.

But in his first season I felt he was gonna progress with removing bad eggs and build a great team, but it now just looks like we’re going in circles… moreover, downward spirals

He has won two cups. Ole won feck all and didn’t get us close in the league. Moyes took a side that won the league to 6th.

Our Europa League final loss was all down to Ole. It was pathetic. Ten Hag out foxed Guardiola and beat Liverpool on the way to that FA Cup.

I get that people are sick of him and want him sacked but I just don’t get the point in resorting to ridiculous arguments other than to vent your frustration. He’s been objectively more successful than both Solskjaer and Moyes. It’s ridiculous to claim he will be classed as having a worse tenure than either of them.
Depends on how much weight you put in those cup wins. During the League Cup run, Newcastle were the only decent side we faced. And yes, last season beating Liverpool and City was great, but that's just 2 matches in the entire season where we looked good.

At Manchester United finishing 8th should not be overshadowed by a cup win. We are not a Leicester who should lose our heads because we won a cup. I would much rather finish 2nd in the league because it at least shows we are close to the top. Not that Ole was close to winning us the title, but that team was way better than the one ETH has built and 2 cups should not overshadow that. He has been worse than Ole, Jose and LVG. Probably not Moyes but that's not an achievement.

Who cares if he has been "objectively more successful" than Ole and Moyes? Both were poor appointments too, so hardly guys to compare yourself to. And whilst EtH has delivered more trophies than those mentioned, I had a hell of a lot more fun following United under Ole. Probably 100x more. If you just want to nitpick on people saying that they preferred Ole and Moyes, then have fun with that.

The depressing thing is, under the Glazers he would have been gone long ago. And rightfully so. I have no idea what INEOS are waiting for it's beyond ricidulous. 14th. We are 14th

Zirkzee
Martinez
De Ligt
Ugarte

But in his first season I felt he was gonna progress with removing bad eggs and build a great team, but it now just looks like we’re going in circles… moreover, downward spirals

His signings have been rather horrendous generally.

The issue with sacking him is financial fair play otherwise the owners don't care about the dozen of millions that it would cost because it doesn't come from their pocket.

Ole 'out foxed' Pep several times and a one-off win against Liverpool shouldnt be celebrated that much - remember how many embarrassing defeats against them he resided over?

Who cares if he has been "objectively more successful" than Ole and Moyes? Both were poor appointments too, so hardly guys to compare yourself to. And whilst EtH has delivered more trophies than those mentioned, I had a hell of a lot more fun following United under Ole. Probably 100x more. If you just want to nitpick on people saying that they preferred Ole and Moyes, then have fun with that.
The entire context of my posts is the comparison between ten Hag and Ole and Moyes because people are claiming that ten Hag is the worst ever United manager.

He’s been absolutely shit and I want him gone now but he’s won two trophies so I’m not having him below Moyes and Ole.

There has been a fair bit of exaggerating on both sides of the camp. Whilst we aren't playing CL quality football we also aren't as consistently bad as what's been painted. The Liverpool and Spurs game were extremely damaging to the image, but Southampton, Palace, Villa and extended periods of Fulham+Brighton were better.

No one is happy with that level by the way, it obviously needs to be better than that too.

Maybe an hour against Southampton, 45 minutes against Palace and maybe 20 minutes in each of the Fulham and Brighton games are the only times we've looked a decent side. Not a good side just a decent one, and yes improvement upon last season. The problem is results, goals scored and goals conceded are probably all worse than last season which is saying something. So small periods of decent play isn't much for us to build our hopes upon.

I'm intrigued by that why sticking with ETH may lead to long term success? Is it specific to ETH or is it a case of just time given to anyone?
Because I believe Ten Hag is a good football coach. Thats why he was appointed as Utd manager in the first place and I remember a lot of fans were excited about it. I understand the results havent been great but as I said many times sacking him just seven games into the new season doesnt sit well with me. Some people claim we were lucky to win the two trophies but I hope we get lucky again this season and win all the cup competitions. He hasnt lost the players and I havent lost faith in him yet. Even if he get sacked tomorrow I am sure he will go somewhere and continue winning trophies.

Maybe an hour against Southampton, 45 minutes against Palace and maybe 20 minutes in each of the Fulham and Brighton games are the only times we've looked a decent side. Not a good side just a decent one, and yes improvement upon last season. The problem is results, goals scored and goals conceded are probably all worse than last season which is saying something. So small periods of decent play isn't much for us to build our hopes upon.
Im tired of cherry picking minutes and holding the team to a standard that almost no other club meets outside of the top 2. Chelsea are outplayed by Bournemouth most the game and they got all 3 points. Liverpool were no more convincing at Palace than we were and got all 3 points. Spurs got done in at Brighton just like we did. Every side challenging for top 4 is going to have periods of 30 mins or more where they aren't on top.

My point is more that there are games around the two atrocious ones that showed a lot more encouragement than our level last season.

Well the new football guys decided to keep him last season so I am not gonna question their decision or judgment at the moment.

To be honest the club has been burning for the past decade so showing a bit of patience with a manager who has won two trophies wouldn’t do any harm.

I like your analogy and your mom did the right thing by teaching you to eat vegetables even if they left a bad taste in your mouth at first. Much like how you grew to like vegetables we might not enjoy ten Hag’s current situation but sticking through the tough times may lead to long term success.
You’ve got to be trolling

Why? I mean if INEOS were actually doing well with their other football investments than fair enough. They aren't though.

I'm intrigued by that why sticking with ETH may lead to long term success? Is it specific to ETH or is it a case of just time given to anyone?

It's just more of the Ferguson doctrine, we stuck by Ferguson through his struggles in the 80's so if we suffer just long enough again we'll be rewarded with another era of domination.

The depressing thing is, under the Glazers he would have been gone long ago. And rightfully so.

True, but with the caveat the Glazers would have had a replacement lined up. They sacked LvG whenever Jose was available.

As has been discussed to death, there is no serious replacement available to take over as yet. Ineos did the rounds during the summer and returned empty-handed and humbled.

Some of the names suggested on this forum alone beggar's belief. Frank, Potter, Marco Silva, de Zerbi - they're all just EtH quality (if that) but are being talked up exponentially by our commentariat, so desperate we are for change.

Ineos do not have such a luxury. They, not us, have a serious call to make and stick by.

Last edited:

Zirkzee
Martinez
De Ligt
Ugarte

His signings have added more problems to the squad rather than solutions. We're going to have to go through the 'shipping out' process all over again when he goes, probably to an even greater degree of difficulty.

Great post. Ten Hag absolutely out foxed Pep and Klopp. We just need to give him a bit more time. I’d be delighted with a domestic cup trophy every year. How many managers can say that?

I dont disagree with the points you make. We were terrible last season (although we had a huge number of injuries) and our start this season hasnt been great. But all is not lost. We could still win the Europa League and we could still finish in the top four (though if I am being honest that will be tough). But I am hopeful for a 5th place finish and a Europa League win.
I think our start to this season has shown that injuries weren't the main reason for just how awful we were last season to be fair.

We could still mathematically win the league but it's not bloody likely. We've been in relelgation form for 20 games now, there's more chance of us getting relelgated this season than coming 4th if we let this continue.

My argument is that we should give him time to turn things around. He knows hes under pressure and has to deliver. I am not comparing ten Hag to Fergie in any way but I read that Fergie could have been sacked if he lost the 1991 cup winners cup against Barca.

He's been under pressure for months and nothing has changed we've actually got worse. Fair enough if you think things could get better but it seems like it's based more upon hope than anything tangiable.

The depressing thing is, under the Glazers he would have been gone long ago. And rightfully so. I have no idea what INEOS are waiting for it's beyond ricidulous. 14th. We are 14th
This is from Sky Sports News on the day Jose got fired

Seven wins in the first 17 Premier League games
Mourinho's future had been the subject of intense scrutiny this season - and the club's worst start to a campaign in 28 years was confirmed with defeat at Liverpool on Sunday.

The 55-year-old Portuguese insisted at Anfield that he had not lost the dressing room, as his team sat sixth in the Premier League table and 11 points off the Champions League places.

So are you saying that if a very dubious offside against Coventry went the other way or if De Gea took a decent penalty kick in the shootout you would have a different opinion?

Eyes watching the football (and all of the underlying statistics) tell a completely different story of who has been better.

No doubt our league form this season has been poor. 8 points from 7 games and sitting in 14th place is simply not good enough and 2 points in the Europa League isnt great either. But I dont call for the manager to be sacked at this stage. Despite the disappointing results I have seen some promising performances this season. Apart from the Liverpool and Spurs games, our performances were not that bad even in the games we lost vs Brighton and City in the Community Shield. Theres no question Ten Hag needs to start winning consistently but I dont believe sacking him now is the right move. Lets get behind the team and the manager surely thats not too much to ask?
:lol:

So are you saying that if a very dubious offside against Coventry went the other way or if De Gea took a decent penalty kick in the shootout you would have a different opinion?

Eyes watching the football (and all of the underlying statistics) tell a completely different story of who has been better.
Yes. If those two things happened and he didn’t win those two trophies then he wouldn’t be as successful and he’d probably be rated below Ole. Probably not below Moyes.

Also if my auntie had bollocks she’d be my uncle so I’m not sure what your point is.

He is the worst manager after SAF, I don't care about second rate domestic trophies. He finished 8th and got knocked out of group stage in Europe, the worst finish post SAF, that makes him the worst.

Just hope he is booted out. He should have been sacked last year when he matched Ole's worst start, much less now.

Because I believe Ten Hag is a good football coach. Thats why he was appointed as Utd manager in the first place and I remember a lot of fans were excited about it. I understand the results havent been great but as I said many times sacking him just seven games into the new season doesnt sit well with me. Some people claim we were lucky to win the two trophies but I hope we get lucky again this season and win all the cup competitions. He hasnt lost the players and I havent lost faith in him yet. Even if he get sacked tomorrow I am sure he will go somewhere and continue winning trophies.

That's fair enough, you have faith in his abilities. I don't really understand how you can have faith in the abilities of a manager that hasn't shown any promising sign in two seasons and a manager that also has no actual good track record at the highest level.

And yes people, including myself were excited about his potential but it's important to emphasize on the fact that it was only potential, ETH isn't a proven winner at the highest leve. He is a proven winner as Ajax's manager in the Eredivisie, his European resume with Ajax isn't impressive at all beside the 18/19 campaign. So in my opnion people should logically use hindsight and reevaluate their enthusiasm instead of clinging on a previous uneducated position.

And it's not something specific to ETH and United, the same was true for Rose, De Boer, Villas Boas, Lopetegui, Gasperini and many other managers over the years because most managers with potential will fail to match higher expectations which is perfectly normal, not everyone is meant to be an elite manager.

EtH was drowned in money which neither Moyes or Ole had the luxury of. Can't believe I'm actually defending them as they were horrendous. But EtH hasn't been any better than them in my book cinsidering the funds he was provided with

How is this acceptable? Worst start ever and it feels like collective amnesia to accept an absolute bore 0-0.

Were fecking Manchester United my god standards have slipped.

Slipped mate? Standards at this club now are literally like the Black Knight from Monty Python.

Last edited:
True, but with the caveat the Glazers would have had a replacement lined up. They sacked LvG whenever Jose was available.

As has been discussed to death, there is no serious replacement available to take over as yet. Ineos did the rounds during the summer and returned empty-handed and humbled.

Some of the names suggested on this forum alone beggar's belief. Frank, Potter, Marco Silva, de Zerbi - they're all just EtH quality (if that) but are being talked up exponentially by our commentariat, so desperate we are for change. I thank the good lord McClaren has moved on or his Carling Cup exploits...

Ineos do not have such a luxury.
This argument of them not finding a suitable manager is not the defense many seem to think it is. Bayern and Chelsea are flying with managers many would consider championship level just a few months ago. Many thought that Flick could never manege a top club again and Barca were better off sticking with Xavi and yet look where they are. Let's not forget they had Tuchel and for whatever reason failed to convince him of thier project. For what it's worth, there are so many good managers in thís league who could do so muh better than Ten Hag If INEOS had decided to take the bold route and go for potential and have Actually done better with less and would be dying to manage this club (Marco Silv and Thomas Frank for example)

It’s obvious that INEOS want to be seen as being rational and different to the Glazers. They’re more interested in being seen to be calm and measured rather than doing what is actually required.
But they are doing exactly the same thing : dithering.

EtH was drowned in money which neither Moyes or Ole had the luxury of. Can't believe I'm actually defending them as they were horrendous. But EtH hasn't been any better than them in my book cinsidering the funds he was provided with
Ole Solskjaer spent £400m at United. Hardly a pauper.

Inappropriate Behavior
By his and our current standards he got great results in both games. You can be sure he will be very impressed with himself.

Exactly, we were competitive against the likes of Porto and Aston Villa. This is extremely impressive and further cements his position as a successful manager of Manchester United.

I am astonished that many people act here as if we were a Bayern, Real, Manchester City or Chelsea-sized club. Completely unrealistic, backwards and unreasonable, clinging to past.

We are in new era, now we are roughly where Wigan were under Martinez, even better. Maybe there is some outside threat of relegation but generally we are comfortable. And we are winning domestic cups.

Leicester under Brendan Rogers is where we should aspire to be. And I firmly believe that Eric Ten Hag will bring us there if properly backed by signing a world-class LB, 2 CMs, a winger and a striker for a reasonable total outlay of 1-1.5bn. All the signs are there and it is a process. We just need to avoid knee-jerk decisions and take a long-term approach. He deserves another 2-3 years at least to implement his vision.