Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Anyone who suggests that giving Erik more time is just a WUM or utterly deluded! The argument that he should be given more time because Fergie wasn’t initially successful completely breaks down because by that metric Ron Atkinson (who won two FA Cups in his first 3 seasons) should’ve been given more time and the Fergie era would never have happened! SJR said in his first interview that we aspire to be more like Real Madrid. If anyone can honestly say that EtH would still be manager of Real after 1 win in 10 European matches, sitting 14th in the league with a negative goal difference and claiming they were making progress, they should call 111 and request immediate assistance!

Ole chose not to sign a DM, that's on him. Didn't he spend close to 400m? That 2nd place finish done so much heavy lifting. They're both absolutely nowhere near good enough.
Did he choose? And if he did then that also shows that Ole didn’t have what ETH now has… a proper football structure running the transfers.

The answer to the ETH vs Ole debate is that they both spunked a massive amount of money and had thoroughly underwhelming tenures. Who gives a flying feck if someone prefers one over the other. Both were/are nowhere near good enough. Ole was ridiculously lucky getting that infamous 2nd place finish, given Xg had us 4th.
If 2nd vs 4th on xg is 'ridiculously lucky' where would you put 3rd vs 6th on xg 22/23 and 8th vs 14th last season.

Different levels.

I agree, how can partnerships or understanding each others play develop if the team radically changes from game to game and sometimes half to half.
It would of course help if there was a certain "spine" of the team. One that always played and certain players who were always reliable.

If I was the manager I'd say Martinez should be that + Mainoo and Garnacho. Bruno is of course a pivotal player too.

I know he is. Oles football was better without the backing of proper footballing people. That’s my point

His football wasn't actually particularly good. People are looking back at scorelines and fondly remembering it. In real time time, there was a massive divide about his reign.

And backing from footballing people? Who - the Ugarte signing? Because every other signing looks handpicked by ETH. We ended up in a mess twice by letting Ole and ETH handpick signings.

Last edited:
We had managers who were proven winners at the highest level like LVG and Mourinho and they werent successful. We had Ole who had very limited experience managing at the highest level and he wasnt successful either. We also had Moyes who had proven PL experience and he wasnt successful either.

When I see some of the names mentioned as potential replacements for Ten Hag in the other thread, they dont inspire confidence. Names like Potter, Southgate, McKena, Amorim, DeZerbi, Unai Emery, Thomas Frank and even Ole (again :) ) dont fill me with optimism they can bring us back to the top. Tuchel has managed and won trophies at the highest level but he would come with his own baggage. I am not sure Zidane wants to manage in England.

We will have to wait and see. I just hope INEOS bring Utd out of this mess whether with ten Hag or someone else. Its been too long for this great club to be lost in the wilderness.

Most managers aren't successful including the ones that used to be, that's why pretty much all top clubs cycle through managers. The reality of the matter is that United appointed managers that weren't good enough at the time of their appointment, it happens to all clubs, the good ones recognize and rectify it quickly, the others fail to recognize it or have no clue about why the manager failed and repeat the same mistake.

And it's fair to take into account potential candidates short coming but you need to keep in mind that ETH is worse than all of them simply because he has proven to not be adequate for more than two years. The others could prove to be as bad but it is unknown while we know exactly what ETH is.

The decision was made to stick with him before Berrada and Ashworth were appointed.

Look, no one is happy with how things are but it’s obvious INEOS wanted to assemble their team and let them review Ten Hag and make any subsequent decisions on him. Unfortunately Berrada couldn’t start until July due to his terms of employment and Newcastle dragged out the Ashworth deal so we had to wait a significant amount of time to get things together.
Do you really think they were not involved in some way in the decision to keep him? That’s a bit naive.

There is nothing "very promising" about their start.

We've signed more shit players that the manager wanted, and they're dithering over the decision to sack our worst manager in the modern era.
Ten Hag is not the worst Utd manager in modern era even if we forget Moyes, LVG and Ole. In 10 years my kids wont know we finished in the top four twice under Ole but they will know we won two trophies under ten Hag. And its too early to say DeLigt, Ugarte, Zirkzee, Mazraou and Yoro (who hasnt played yet) as shit players. Dont you think?

On a sidenote all the managers that have followed SAF have something in common, they have been inflexible, unwilling to adapt to what they have. That's probably a flaw in our recruitement process.

Yes I am. There's such a thing called an interim manager that's literally designed for that exact situation. My argument is that it would be very hard to do any worse than we currently are under RvN for instance. I don't see what you find so ridiculous about that idea.
Lets hope so.

They had enough time to work a replacement out.
Plus, even an interim solution could give us a bit of a bounce if INEOS really weren't able to find a replacement yet.
You're presuming a lot. But let's hope they used their time wisely.

Um. If you dearly support the club, why are you so happy to support some Dutch bloke who is taking our team down the shitter? Ten Hag means nothing to United, he'll leave and never be remembered fondly. Exercise some critical thinking instead of blind support
He is the Utd manager now and I want him to be successful because that means Utd is also successful. Just out of curiosity why did you refer to him as 'some Dutch bloke'? Does his nationality matter to you? Personally I dont care about the nationality of our players or managers as long as they bring success to Utd.

Ten Hag is not the worst Utd manager in modern era even if we forget Moyes, LVG and Ole. In 10 years my kids wont know we finished in the top four twice under Ole but they will know we won two trophies under ten Hag. And its too early to say DeLigt, Ugarte, Zirkzee, Mazraou and Yoro (who hasnt played yet) as shit players. Dont you think?

I don't agree. Going back 20 years, I remember our 09-10 season in a far more positive light than our 03-04 season. I have a far fonder memory Jose's 17-18 than LVG's 2016 FA cup win. Why? Because you can't simply forget how you felt watching us play. Arsenal fans barely remember any of the FA cups they've won in the past 15 years, but I can guarantee the last 2-3 seasons of challenging City will be remembered in a much better light. Ask Liverpool fans if they'd prefer every 2nd place title challenge they had against City over a Carabao cup or FA Cup win the 2000's and I guarantee you will get almost no votes for the FA Cup or Carabao cup.

On a sidenote all the managers that have followed SAF have something in common, they have been inflexible, unwilling to adapt to what they have. That's probably a flaw in our recruitement process.
Good point. But it needs to said, that the task became more and more difficult as the squad deteriorated more and more into an assembly of big names and big promise but without hard work and right mentality. Also I think, Ole doesn't really suit your point in being unwilling to adapt - with him it was rather his inability to adapt (or recognize the issues).

This manager continues to damage the club you dearly support, so it begs the question, why are you still supporting him?
Because I still believe hes a good coach and can turn things around. I am not arguing that he shouldnt be sacked at all but I want him to be given some time. Lets see how the next few games go if hes not sacked tomorrow.

Lets hope so.
We got a new manager bounce each time we sacked a manager before Christmas.

Ole went 12 PL games in a row without losing.

Carrick/Rangnick only lost 1 of our next 19 games after Ole was sacked. Stopped the bleeding.

I'd expect an upturn in results under any interim.

We got a new manager bounce each time we sacked a manager before Christmas.

Ole went 12 PL games in a row without losing.

Carrick/Rangnick only lost 1 of our next 19 games after Ole was sacked. Stopped the bleeding.

I'd expect an upturn in results under any interim.

Yeah, they were steps to being us here. We need more than a bounce.

He has won two cups. Ole won feck all and didn’t get us close in the league. Moyes took a side that won the league to 6th.

Our Europa League final loss was all down to Ole. It was pathetic. Ten Hag out foxed Guardiola and beat Liverpool on the way to that FA Cup.

I get that people are sick of him and want him sacked but I just don’t get the point in resorting to ridiculous arguments other than to vent your frustration. He’s been objectively more successful than both Solskjaer and Moyes. It’s ridiculous to claim he will be classed as having a worse tenure than either of them.

You mean subjectively.

Objectively, he’s been more successful only by some metrics (domestic cups), whilst being less successful by other metrics (league and Europe).

But how you weight those different things, along with various other factors (eg playing style, squad investment) to make an overall conclusion is entirely subjective. You can’t just decide that the metrics you’re using are the only ones that matter and therefore proclaim your stance to be objective - because doing that is itself inherently subjective.