Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
You’ve got to be trolling
Obviously I am not trolling. I value my time too much to spend it on a football forum just to troll others. I am simply defending the manager of the club that I dearly support.

Erm… that’s a little tragic to be fair. Live your own life and feck what others are doing/thinking.
Thee three musketeers, VP89, BenitoSTARR and yourself, are very quiet compared to last season.

I don't give a feck, thanks.

What's tragic is people who continue to defend this manager. Luckily for you, INEOS don't seem to have the stones required. Could be a good week for you.

Obviously I am not trolling. I value my time too much to spend it on a football forum just to troll others. I am simply defending the manager of the club that I dearly support.
Um. If you dearly support the club, why are you so happy to support some Dutch bloke who is taking our team down the shitter? Ten Hag means nothing to United, he'll leave and never be remembered fondly. Exercise some critical thinking instead of blind support

It’s obvious that INEOS want to be seen as being rational and different to the Glazers. They’re more interested in being seen to be calm and measured rather than doing what is actually required.

Big, big issue at this club. Extends to fans too. Everyone seems to be more concerned with "optics" than doing what's required. I have held a theory that "back the manager" and "the united way" and the way sections of the United fanbase irrationally hold on to those notions are largely exercises on "not wanting to be like them other clubs." Nonsensical dogmas. Other clubs chop and change managers til they find one that works - at United sacking a manager has to be a ponderous process regardless of how awful or bad we're doing. We're 14th on the table, and there's people in this thread talking about "I want him sacked but only for the right manager" - what the feck does that even mean? Almost as bad as "we need to see him under a proper footballing structure" - when we're getting ran ragged by any team with a pulse and finishing 8th.

And this guy still gets applauded off the pitch at OT regardless of what shite he dishes out. Club just doesn't have that dawg in them.

Because they stuck with their manager through the tough times and allowed him to build. Just saying, I know you’ll be triggered. ;)
Except there's zero sign we're improving under ETH. On the contrary, we have literally gone backwards in every metric since his first season.

In the summer after evaluating his football last season.
The decision was made to stick with him before Berrada and Ashworth were appointed.

Look, no one is happy with how things are but it’s obvious INEOS wanted to assemble their team and let them review Ten Hag and make any subsequent decisions on him. Unfortunately Berrada couldn’t start until July due to his terms of employment and Newcastle dragged out the Ashworth deal so we had to wait a significant amount of time to get things together.

Big, big issue at this club. Extends to fans too. Everyone seems to be more concerned with "optics" than doing what's required. I have held a theory that "back the manager" and "the united way" and the way sections of the United fanbase irrationally hold on to those notions are largely exercises on "not wanting to be like them other clubs." Nonsensical dogmas. Other clubs chop and change managers til they find one that works - at United sacking a manager has to be a ponderous process regardless of how awful or bad we're doing. We're 14th on the table, and there's people in this thread talking about "I want him sacked but only for the right manager" - what the feck does that even mean? Almost as bad as "we need to see him under a proper footballing structure" - when we're getting ran ragged by any team with a pulse and finishing 8th.

And this guy still gets applauded off the pitch at OT regardless of what shite he dishes out. Club just doesn't have that dawg in them.
Good point. There’s certainly an air of “well that’s not how we do things at United” as an attitude towards a lot of things, which seems to damage decision making processes.

Are you really asking how sacking somebody with no idea who is replacing them is nuts?
Yes I am. There's such a thing called an interim manager that's literally designed for that exact situation. My argument is that it would be very hard to do any worse than we currently are under RvN for instance. I don't see what you find so ridiculous about that idea.

If they’re not going to sack him it seems they’ve decided the players are to blame. I hope they realise just how much of an expensive mistake this is going to be

The decision was made to stick with him before Berrada and Ashworth were appointed.

Look, no one is happy with how things are but it’s obvious INEOS wanted to assemble their team and let them review Ten Hag and make any subsequent decisions on him. Unfortunately Berrada couldn’t start until July due to his terms of employment and Newcastle dragged out the Ashworth deal so we had to wait a significant amount of time to get things together.

The decision still was the wrong one and they should have corrected it by now

He decides a new type of player for a new game all the time, and that rhythm really throws development of certain players out of the window.

One game Garnacho is on the bench, then he's on the right, then he's on the left.
One game Zirkzee is starting, then he shows signs of being good for our general play, then he's on the bench, circle starts over
One game Maino has a set role, then he is deployed in a more attacking role, then he's a central midfielder again who also needs to sit a bit back

It just goes on an on, and he makes substitutions because he's desperate to try anything. So when he subs 3 players at a time and throw in players of different types it resets the team. The rhythm of this is completely shit for any player really. Start - stop - start - stop.

Next season again without champions league and possibly without any european competitions is not ideal.

While today the team looked like one & played fairly well, he should be released of his duties nonetheless.
Neither team played fairly well today.

Awful game with no real chances for either team.

Villa probably has the best chance. Philogene late on.

The answer to the ETH vs Ole debate is that they both spunked a massive amount of money and had thoroughly underwhelming tenures. Who gives a flying feck if someone prefers one over the other. Both were/are nowhere near good enough. Ole was ridiculously lucky getting that infamous 2nd place finish, given Xg had us 4th.

He decides a new type of player for a new game all the time, and that rhythm really throws development of certain players out of the window.

One game Garnacho is on the bench, then he's on the right, then he's on the left.
One game Zirkzee is starting, then he shows signs of being good for our general play, then he's on the bench, circle starts over
One game Maino has a set role, then he is deployed in a more attacking role, then he's a central midfielder again who also needs to sit a bit back

It just goes on an on, and he makes substitutions because he's desperate to try anything. So when he subs 3 players at a time and throw in players of different types it resets the team. The rhythm of this is completely shit for any player really. Start - stop - start - stop.
I agree, how can partnerships or understanding each others play develop if the team radically changes from game to game and sometimes half to half.

That's fair enough, you have faith in his abilities. I don't really understand how you can have faith in the abilities of a manager that hasn't shown any promising sign in two seasons and a manager that also has no actual good track record at the highest level.

And yes people, including myself were excited about his potential but it's important to emphasize on the fact that it was only potential, ETH isn't a proven winner at the highest leve. He is a proven winner as Ajax's manager in the Eredivisie, his European resume with Ajax isn't impressive at all beside the 18/19 campaign. So in my opnion people should logically use hindsight and reevaluate their enthusiasm instead of clinging on a previous uneducated position.

And it's not something specific to ETH and United, the same was true for Rose, De Boer, Villas Boas, Lopetegui, Gasperini and many other managers over the years because most managers with potential will fail to match higher expectations which is perfectly normal, not everyone is meant to be an elite manager.
We had managers who were proven winners at the highest level like LVG and Mourinho and they werent successful. We had Ole who had very limited experience managing at the highest level and he wasnt successful either. We also had Moyes who had proven PL experience and he wasnt successful either.

When I see some of the names mentioned as potential replacements for Ten Hag in the other thread, they dont inspire confidence. Names like Potter, Southgate, McKena, Amorim, DeZerbi, Unai Emery, Thomas Frank and even Ole (again :) ) dont fill me with optimism they can bring us back to the top. Tuchel has managed and won trophies at the highest level but he would come with his own baggage. I am not sure Zidane wants to manage in England.

We will have to wait and see. I just hope INEOS bring Utd out of this mess whether with ten Hag or someone else. Its been too long for this great club to be lost in the wilderness.

The answer to the ETH vs Ole debate is that they both spunked a massive amount of money and had thoroughly underwhelming tenures. Who gives a flying feck if someone prefers one over the other. Both were/are nowhere near good enough. Ole was ridiculously lucky getting that infamous 2nd place finish, given Xg had us 4th.
Ole didn’t have what ETH did though. Ole teams was missing a proper DM. He had to play mctominay and Fred. Where as ETH didn’t have what ole did on the right wing… MG. But ye I agree, both not good enough. Onto the next manager.

Ole didn’t have what ETH did though. Ole teams was missing a proper DM. He had to play mctominay and Fred. Where as ETH didn’t have what ole did on the right wing… MG. But ye I agree, both not good enough. Onto the next manager.

Ole chose not to sign a DM, that's on him. Didn't he spend close to 400m? That 2nd place finish done so much heavy lifting. They're both absolutely nowhere near good enough.