Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Gotta be honest, I backed Ten Hag mostly to avoid Southgate. How we are playing makes me wonder if Southgate would be doing better. Embarrassing really.

Let's be frank: There are a lot of coaches not called Southgate who would be doing more with this squad.

That's very true but will INEOS see it the same way, be interested to hear from a reliable Utd source about the actual cost to sack him.

Would not surprise me at all. If he can survive last season he can survive anything. He is one of the most durable managers I've ever seen. Difficult to really visualize what it takes for him to be gotten rid of at this point.

I reckon it'll be some poor performances and then back to back 3 or 4 nil losses that would do it. A point where Ineos have no other option. This thing about getting a point/ win/unlucky against shite teams is keeping him safe somehow, it seems to be causing indecision. It's like the club are fecking with us at this stage.

He isn't getting the balance right. Either way too defensive it way too offensive and we do nothing in attack.

Im actually perplexed.

Tactically we look like a Sunday league level side. We could have Vidic and Maldini in our back we will still look vulnerable. Every new player now look confused and shocked. But we are to believe he deserves chance because sacking a mediocre manager is a sin. I mean wtf.

We are wasting our season with him. Just let him go and save the season.

I really don’t think that’s what had happened at all. The “new gang” took full control in the summer. I think from there most people said that there would be changes but the manager would get the chance to prove himself under the new footballing structure. I don’t think there was any suggestion that 8th was acceptable, not when Berrada is saying the objective is to win the title in 2028. Which is in 3 seasons.

Now do I think keeping ETH was a mistake? Yes, absolutely. I argued heavily for his removal, and was hugely disappointed and upset he remained in post. However, the reality is that there was an enormous amount of fan pressure to keep him because he had won a trophy, and be given the right to prove himself under a proper footballing structure and with backing in the summer.

This put Ineos in a lose-lose situation. If they sacked him, fans would’ve been up in arms; and if the new manager had a sticky start it would’ve unravelled quickly in terms of atmosphere. In the end they stuck with a manager that the majority of fans wanted - however ill informed those fans were and misdirected those petitions were - and we are where we are. I have no doubt they are regretting that decision now, but I do wish the fan base would take some accountability for this mess too. They applied enormous pressure to keep Erik, which was stupid, and now many of the same people (not saying you) have the gall to turn the finger on Ineos.

Everything I’ve seen about restructuring behind the scenes is extremely positive. The people brought in are best in class. This was never going to be a quick fix, and Ineos know that. I am certain they have a list of replacement candidates, many of whom have already been interviewed in advance. I’m looking at this and their success or failure over a 3-5 year window.
I was one of the people who wanted him to keep his job. The injuries last season were catastrophic, and a part of me wondered after beating City if maybe he can succeed with a fit squad and few new signings. But that was more of wishful thinking on my side. There's nothing wrong in Ineos giving him a chance, and also there's nothing wrong in realizing they made a mistake. Good leaders know when to cut their losses.

I still think he's a good man and a good coach, but ultimately the job of a manager is to get the maximum output from his players, and make sure they apply his ideas on the pitch, and he's unable to do that here.

From everything you hear about him, he strikes me as a Benitez kind of manager, someone who lacks charisma or leadership but knows a lot about football and has some good ideas. Top clubs require more than that, and I think that's why he can't get his message across. If you look at successful managers in recent history, the likes of Pep, Klopp or Ancelotti, they're all larger than life big charismatic personalities who command respect. United players are under a lot of pressure and they need a leader who can deal with that.

I've been thinking this.

He has the two trophies, and of course trophies are very important, but I think in every other aspect he's been a complete disaster. Every stat or record tells you he's maybe been our worst manager yet in a lot of ways post Fergie
In fairness, his first season was decent: second highest points total in the post SAF era, two cup finals, one trophy, and the period between beating spurs at OT up to the League cup final was actually a positive time for the club. People were optimistic (most were anyway) while also acknowledging we were a long way off.

Since then it's just been so bad. He had a plan to be the 'best transition team in the world' and it failed miserably. It's sad because I thought we were getting a manager that valued possession and control.

I get this horrible feeling when listening to his press conferences that he knows he isn't going to be sacked. I think he has been guaranteed by INEOS that he is going to get till the end of the season no matter what. He just doesn't seem in the least bit worried, keeps on referring to how many more games we have, I'm 100% sure he isn't getting sacked no matter what, and he's been told that too.

I get this horrible feeling when listening to his press conferences that he knows he isn't going to be sacked. I think he has been guaranteed by INEOS that he is going to get till the end of the season no matter what. He just doesn't seem in the least bit worried, keeps on referring to how many more games we have, I'm 100% sure he isn't getting sacked no matter what, and he's been told that too.
Well I doubt he will ever say I am going to be sacked. Ole sounded confident after losing 5-0 to Liverpool and losing badly to City. Jose sounded confident in November 2018. Same with Eth or any manager.

Well I doubt he will ever say I am going to be sacked. Ole sounded confident after losing 5-0 to Liverpool and losing badly to City. Jose sounded confident in November 2018. Same with Eth or any manager.
He keeps on saying you will see at the end of the season, he just seems to know he is going to be here by then.
God I hope I'm wrong.

I really don’t think that’s what had happened at all. The “new gang” took full control in the summer. I think from there most people said that there would be changes but the manager would get the chance to prove himself under the new footballing structure. I don’t think there was any suggestion that 8th was acceptable, not when Berrada is saying the objective is to win the title in 2028. Which is in 3 seasons.

Now do I think keeping ETH was a mistake? Yes, absolutely. I argued heavily for his removal, and was hugely disappointed and upset he remained in post. However, the reality is that there was an enormous amount of fan pressure to keep him because he had won a trophy, and be given the right to prove himself under a proper footballing structure and with backing in the summer.

This put Ineos in a lose-lose situation. If they sacked him, fans would’ve been up in arms; and if the new manager had a sticky start it would’ve unravelled quickly in terms of atmosphere. In the end they stuck with a manager that the majority of fans wanted - however ill informed those fans were and misdirected those petitions were - and we are where we are. I have no doubt they are regretting that decision now, but I do wish the fan base would take some accountability for this mess too. They applied enormous pressure to keep Erik, which was stupid, and now many of the same people (not saying you) have the gall to turn the finger on Ineos.

Everything I’ve seen about restructuring behind the scenes is extremely positive. The people brought in are best in class. This was never going to be a quick fix, and Ineos know that. I am certain they have a list of replacement candidates, many of whom have already been interviewed in advance. I’m looking at this and their success or failure over a 3-5 year window.

Excellent.

A post outlining how it should be. We knew this wasn’t going to be an overnight fix, Sir Jim told us so, walk to the correct solution not run to the wrong one.

Patience is definitely key here however frustrating it may be.

I will be absolutely gutted if @Sarni and others in the thread are right about him surviving the sack on Monday. I just can't get away from that sinking feeling he will escape it by the skin of his teeth.

6 managers without any consistency including 2 of the all time greats and we're NOWHERE near being out of this. One bad marriage, maybe it's HER fault, 2? Maybe her too but after 5 or six, YOU are the problem.
If one of those managers had left and been successful in their next role, you might have a point. One leaving and doing badly, maybe we were the problem. Two? Maybe still our fault. But five or six! THEY are the problem. See how it works both ways…

In fairness, his first season was decent: second highest points total in the post SAF era, two cup finals, one trophy, and the period between beating spurs at OT up to the League cup final was actually a positive time for the club. People were optimistic (most were anyway) while also acknowledging we were a long way off.

Since then it's just been so bad. He had a plan to be the 'best transition team in the world' and it failed miserably. It's sad because I thought we were getting a manager that valued possession and control.

Yeah completely agree with all that.

I’m really unnerved by the notion that a last gasp goal for a draw buys him more time/goodwill

The worst part of our indecisiveness is that it keeps inviting these tricky situations where you know that you should be letting him go, but he’s just got you a result that is probably slightly too good to pull the trigger at this particular moment (even if it was largely by luck not design that he even got this result in the first place). If we somehow fluke a win at Villa they will have no choice but to keep him.
Why? Managers have been sacked after winning a game before.

That match wouldn't make me want to keep him. It'd be more confirmation that its not working overall in my opinion.
I think getting our players to work and run is a constant tug of war and ten hag just isn't getting a reaction anymore. Were back in zombie football territory. I dont think the players trust each other and i dont particularly blame them. They've been burned too often, too recently. A stupid, simple new manager bounce might just kick start things again - that'd be the hope.

Seriously, you can't blame the players.

Our whole stulid tactic relies on everyone constantly winning 1 on 1 duels. Both in attack and defence.

We can't beat opposition by passing through them. We rush the ball to Garnacho and ask him to beat his man. Literally all we do.

And that's why we look so fragile. With all players constantly forced to enter 1vs1 duels, we're always one mistake away from conceding danger....

Need the class to complete - let him see out the season. It's like an antibiotic course - complete it or else the infection will come back resistant.
I keep seeing "sack him to save our season". We need fans to realise that we need to keep him to save future seasons. As soon as we decided to keep him this season became irrelevant. This is a lesson the club needs to learn the hard way.

The fact that there's still no real leaks about his sacking is good. He needs to see out this whole season at the very least.

I’d argue it’s actually more difficult to spend as much money as we have and not even once in more than a decade look like a serious team. These are unprecedented levels of incompetence that I don’t think we had witnessed before.
It's incredibly impressive and, somehow, no fault of the past few managers. Managers here aren't supposed to take accountability.
The worst part is many of those people who wanted him to stay of the final were firmly in the ETH out camp before it. That single game made many do a U-turn on their opinion, and 6 games in most of them have done another U-turn. It's actually quite ridiculous when you think about it.

I'm also sure a draw and a scrappy win over our next two games will shift the poll by a decent amount with more people switching their vote back to keep. It's like long-term memory doesn't exist for a portion of the fanbase. Very reactionary.
I don't think people realised that if it all it took is for one game to make your mind up about him, you didn't actually believe in him anyway. You just wanted ten Hag to succeed rather than the club itself.

Like, if we had lost that final, but played great football throughout the season; showing promising signs of us developing into a formidable team, I would've been ten Hag in regardless. Unfortunately, what happened was the opposite in terms of us looking like a bunch of amateurs for the majority of the season, so I wanted him out regardless of the result. A one off final where anything could happen (especially where derby's are concerned) is not something you base your opinion on a manager off of.

Yup. One win against freaking Villa shouldnt make up for a horrible start and no progression season to season. It's his 3rd season yet some here want to treat him like he just got the job in the summer.
You got patience early but in your 3rd season you gotta be able to show something. Its 3 win in 10 games. If INEOS were serious he would be fired after the job. If the goal is to back to elite of European football. Then we need to raise our standards and be ruthless. Madrid fires coaches for not winning a league or UCL. We gave ours an extension for finishing 6th. Please someone in INEOS gotta stop the madness.

I will be absolutely gutted if @Sarni and others in the thread are right about him surviving the sack on Monday. I just can't get away from that sinking feeling he will escape it by the skin of his teeth.
There are hardly any rumors about his imminent dismissal, only that there is ‘some pressure’. All we will hear after inevitably getting outplayed at Villa (result tbd, we tend to fluke games) is that we trust ETH to turn it around, players are firmly behind him and he will use the two weeks break to regroup and have us prepared for the next games. Behind the scenes he will assure INEOS that the plan is still on track and some growing pains are inevitable, but let’s assess him at the end of season because he can win us another cup, the serial winner that he is.

There are hardly any rumors about his imminent dismissal, only that there is ‘some pressure’. All we will hear after inevitably getting outplayed at Villa (result tbd, we tend to fluke games) is that we trust ETH to turn it around, players are firmly behind him and he will use the two weeks break to regroup and have us prepared for the next games. Behind the scenes he will assure INEOS that the plan is still on track and some growing pains are inevitable, but let’s assess him at the end of season because he can win us another cup, the serial winner that he is.

Not sure how many more games I could put up with feeling meh about the result of it then. Jeez May feels like a country mile away and I am so desperate for you to be proved wrong

not an F-ing chance in hell but thanks for playing.
Our players certainly aren't good enough for a serious title challenge, but they are far better than what the utterly incompetent tactics and coaching are making them look. ETH could hardly do a worse job if he were actively trying to get himself sacked (which the Rashford sub today makes you wonder).

Our next opponents are a great example of what the difference a good manager vs a bad manager can make (Emery vs Gerrard). Or of course, us with Fergie to Moyes.

Our players certainly aren't good enough for a serious title challenge, but they are far better than what the utterly incompetent tactics and coaching are making them look. ETH could hardly do a worse job if he were actively trying to get himself sacked (which the Rashford sub today makes you wonder).

I still fear he pulls the wool over the eyes of INEOS

He is completely incapable of getting his message across to the players.
Since we have gotten worse for every season, and since most of our football, and mistakes, look largely the same all the time, i would say the big problem is that he does get through to the players.
His ideas just doesn`t work that well for this team.

Because we don’t sack managers after finishing bottom of CL groups, 8th in the league, getting humped 7-0 by Liverpool or 4-0 by Palace etc. So it’s definitely not happening after a win.

Because we don’t sack managers after finishing bottom of CL groups, 8th in the league, getting humped 7-0 by Liverpool or 4-0 by Palace etc. So it’s definitely not happening after a win.

Hands up even under Moyes, LVG, Jose or Ole I never washed my hands of a manager due to one result but that 7-0 was beyond comprehension

Not sure how many more games I could put up with feeling meh about the result of it then. Jeez May feels like a country mile away and I am so desperate for you to be proved wrong
So am I but not holding out much hope. I think he gets until end of season at very least.

Let's hear him say it will be a successful season come Feb/March. This idiot doesn't realise that he is not up to it. He has black magic and everyone has been tricked by him in the club except fans. His magic is so powerful that every fans of everyone wants him to manage United. Wizard in disguise.

So am I but not holding out much hope. I think he gets until end of season at very least.

I think he'll get past the international break after Villa inevitably beat us on Sunday. But, he'll probably be gone by Christmas. The trashings by Arsenal, Chelsea and City will too much to hide from.

Well do you know what INEOS are no better than the leeches if that proves to be the case

That's why this is so depressing. We know ETH needs to go, but the longer he stays, the worse it looks for INEOS. I fear this lot aren't the saviours that we were promised.

I think he'll get past the international break after Villa inevitably beat us on Sunday. But, he'll probably be gone by Christmas. The trashings by Arsenal, Chelsea and City will too much to hide from.

Jeez another nearly 3 months of this and we will have lost some fans to other teams, well maybe just supporting a local one to them