Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jeez another nearly 3 months of this and we will have lost some fans to other teams, well maybe just supporting a local one to them

I was confident at one point that he would be gone by next Monday morning, but not anymore. He seems to think he's safe as houses which means he may have some assurances from the powers above. The lack of anything in the media about a sacking is worrying too. All I'm hearing is this "two games to save his job" rhetoric, which all looks like guesswork.

I think it's going to get much worse, unfortunately.

I was confident at one point that he would be gone by next Monday morning, but not anymore. He seems to think he's safe as houses which means he may have some assurances from the powers above. The lack of anything in the media about a sacking is worrying too. All I'm hearing is this "two games to save his job" rhetoric, which all looks like guesswork.

I think it's going to get much worse, unfortunately.

Yeah that cocky demeanour in pressers is getting right up my nose, only those two trophies make him look better than Frank De Boer

Season can't be saved, but sooner he is out the better. His further staining will get us deeper in shit.

I fear we don’t have the money to sack him and then get his replacement through the door

I fear we don’t have the money to sack him and then get his replacement through the door

Ah well least I have got my hometown doing well, if we haven't the money to sack him that's a killer blow and we are only in October

Villa will embarrass us on Sunday you'd think.

So poor defensively. We've defenders exposed for pace with a high line and no protection in midfield last night.

Even when we defended deep though De Ligt/Dalot/Martinez have forgotten how to defend or dominate our box

I don't think there's any truth in this whatsoever. Has this ever happened before to any club, ever? If, and it's a massive if, it was the case - we might as well call it a day, as INEOS would be clearly in over their heads.

Back him please. For anybody who doesn't have an emotional attachment and won't be affected by the end result, your games are must watch tv.

I think it's amazing that you are backing a manager who prizes entertainment over results. Admirable, really

I really don’t think that’s what had happened at all. The “new gang” took full control in the summer. I think from there most people said that there would be changes but the manager would get the chance to prove himself under the new footballing structure. I don’t think there was any suggestion that 8th was acceptable, not when Berrada is saying the objective is to win the title in 2028. Which is in 3 seasons.

Now do I think keeping ETH was a mistake? Yes, absolutely. I argued heavily for his removal, and was hugely disappointed and upset he remained in post. However, the reality is that there was an enormous amount of fan pressure to keep him because he had won a trophy, and be given the right to prove himself under a proper footballing structure and with backing in the summer.

This put Ineos in a lose-lose situation. If they sacked him, fans would’ve been up in arms; and if the new manager had a sticky start it would’ve unravelled quickly in terms of atmosphere. In the end they stuck with a manager that the majority of fans wanted - however ill informed those fans were and misdirected those petitions were - and we are where we are. I have no doubt they are regretting that decision now, but I do wish the fan base would take some accountability for this mess too. They applied enormous pressure to keep Erik, which was stupid, and now many of the same people (not saying you) have the gall to turn the finger on Ineos.

Everything I’ve seen about restructuring behind the scenes is extremely positive. The people brought in are best in class. This was never going to be a quick fix, and Ineos know that. I am certain they have a list of replacement candidates, many of whom have already been interviewed in advance. I’m looking at this and their success or failure over a 3-5 year window.
I agree with a lot of this but football fans are emotional. Reactions to winning the fa cup were emotional. Ineos (Jim aside) are not united fans they should make decisions with no emotions, irrespective of what fans want. There are no emotions in "business" so if they are making decisions based on fan sentiment, United are fecked.

The problem is, we are beating Villa.
Their style suits our forwards.

Wish I could understand the endgame in the clubs thinking. Regardless of the Villa result, what are they seeing to guesst he can take us to a better future?

If they can't see that, then he should be out the door given this is year three.

I share the concern of others that money is the likely thing keeping him in post. If that the case, SIr Jim and Co and talk about making football the priority all they want. But it proves they can't bring the finance to backup the claims.

The club is still an absolute shambles.

I will be incredulous if he doesn't go after Villa. We're watching him tank our season for the second year in a row after throwing another couple of hundred million at the squad in the summer.

The only possible explanation if he doesn't go after that is the execs can't afford to pay off the same contract they extended in the summer. Rank incompetence. There literally isn't another team in world football who repeatedly give their managers license to run them into the ground and make the season unsalvageable before taking action.

The likes of Neville wear this as a badge of honour when it's the biggest indication this football club is still operating in the dark ages. It's a huge red flag for the new execs who are allowing this to happen.

Season can't be saved, but sooner he is out the better. His further staining will get us deeper in shit.
Still in both cups, in EL in position to go through, only 6 games played in PL. What is even there to be saved (results wise)?

Season is still wide open. Ineos just need to react quickly. With Slot, Maresca, Kompany, Flick, Conte, Hurzeler....doing pretty well, this season above all shows how managers don't need "few seasons, "their players" and 4 transfer windows" to make team working.

It is only us who sell that BS for a decade now. Good coach will implement his ideas after a month or two and after that be better and better.

“Judge us by the end of the season” sounds like something that would come from a manager desperate to stay in his job a little bit longer.

Back him please. For anybody who doesn't have an emotional attachment and won't be affected by the end result, your games are must watch tv.

I think it's amazing that you are backing a manager who prizes entertainment over results. Admirable, really

What results? We've lost 4 out of 9.

It's been established, beyond any reasonable doubt, that he is incompetent, that was in May. Now it's Ineos on trial, keeping him against all the evidence was beyond idiotic and now we will see whether they value the optics of looking bad over the practical need to get the ship back on course.

I fear we have stumbled into an outfit much worse than the Glazers and even if they do sack him whats to guarantee that they will bring in a better replacement? Their thought process can't be trusted and I wouldn't put it beyond them to bring in Southgate and continue the shit show. Club is in the gutter, after flattering to deceive we are now seeing the incompetent, indecisive clowns that they are.

So did Spurs style

Spurs and Villa are very different.
And Spurs style is literally the worst thing that can happen to us. The way Ten Hag sets the team, everyone as to constantly win 1vs1 duels. If somebody loses a duel, we are in trouble.
Villa leave open spaces and don't cover them as quickly as Spurs.

But still, all of this doesn't matter one bit. Last night when we equalised I fell nothing. Not even a little joy or satisfaction. We seem to be going absolutely nowhere and I bet I'm not the only one who developed apathy...

6 managers without any consistency including 2 of the all time greats and we're NOWHERE near being out of this. One bad marriage, maybe it's HER fault, 2? Maybe her too but after 5 or six, YOU are the problem.

:lol:

''Are we the assholes?''

Or alternatively we've been a very poorly ran club that hired the wrong managers at the wrong times.

6 managers without any consistency including 2 of the all time greats and we're NOWHERE near being out of this. One bad marriage, maybe it's HER fault, 2? Maybe her too but after 5 or six, YOU are the problem.
Imagine Liverpool and City had this same mindset while they were cycling through shite managers for 30 years.

The commentator said this too, that united are a must watch because the games are just crazy. Good job ETH, you're making everyone tune in.

Trust the process.

Just don't expect any improvement whilst the process is en train.

Bets on how long the process might take?

Yeah, but we were well fit 20 years ago. If feels like as we're getting older, they're only with us for the money.

The commentator said this too, that united are a must watch because the games are just crazy. Good job ETH, you're making everyone tune in.
Some Benny Hills theme music on top would not feel out of place some games.

The problem is, we are beating Villa.
Their style suits our forwards.
But our style suits their runners — Morgan Rogers will have a field day with all that midfield space

It shows you how much ETH knows, when United actually looked better with Bruno off the pitch and down to 10 men, both against Spurs and Porto.

His decisions baffle me. I'm not a big fan of Rashford, but last night he was all over Porto and getting some much needed confidence back. So what does ETH do? Takes him off at half time and puts Garnacho on, when really he should have taken Amad off (who was doing nothing down the right) and put Garnacho on in his place.
How is that meant to help Rashford get some form and confidence back into his game?

I've said for a while now, that he fecks with the team selection far too much, at a time when United need stability. Stick to your first 11 and make subs when needed. It's no wonder the team can't get any rhythm going when this clown moves players in and out like its A&E.

Trust the process.

Just don't expect any improvement whilst the process is en train.

Bets on how long the process might take?
I have a perverse curiousity to how things would go if we doubled down and publicly said he will at the very least see out his contract

We know what happens when he’s sacked. We get someone else, have a bounce and then 2 years and X months in, when it turns shit, we rinse and repeat

But what would happen if we decided to just stick with someone and saw a 3rd, 4th and 5th season out of them?

Would it stay shite the whole time or would players realise the manager isn’t going anywhere regardless and get their heads down?

I think he’ll be sacked on Tuesday if we lose to Villa though, and that he’s shit

No manager good enough will come here mid season, we’ve just assessed the options in the summer. Might as well give him more time. That will be the thinking from Ineos.

I'm no insider so it's pure speculation on my part, but I suspect INEOS already have decided that ETH must go but that they are now in the process of evaluating candidates to replace him...including candidates who are only available once the season has ended. This may take a while, amigos.

I'd still replace ETH with RVN as soon as possible, and if that means waiting until after Villa dismantle us, or even if we beat them, so be it.

Indeed, Woodward was right. This isn't a football club and hasn't been for a decade. It's Disney for adults. Provides cheap entertainment and capitalises on nostalgia to generate revenue. And you will always have people who consume it. It's the end point of entertainment as a business. A soulless zombie marketing vessel. At any rate, it's finished as a football entity. The clowns in charge, old and new, have seen to it.

My worry is that we beat villa, it's a possibility at this stage,this cycle happened before, he'll survive, players will get into form for few games, then again they start the same cycle of shite performances and results
This is indeed a huge worry for me as a United fan.

To move the discussion away from the match thread.

I think I was wrong to say beating Villa is worrying, as a lifelong fan, I want United to win every game and I will cheer every goal and enjoy a game won.

What I should have said was that hopefully INEOS had made their minds and will not be affected by positive results that masks EtH weaknesses, I want him gone asap and a win against Villa, in whatever manner, should not change that.