Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
To be honest, ten Hag's style has been very similar to Ole's in terms of depending on fast transitions and counter attacks.

We (fans) thought ten Hag would bring a more controlled approach, with an emphasis on possession. We were wrong.
I agree, though I'm not sure if that's something ETH has done by freewill or because of the reality of the squad he had considering it's not how his Ajax team played and I think he alluded to it himself early on. Granted it gets harder to explain as time has gone on.

People say this about Rashford but what if he gets 30 goals next season under a new manager? Who was to blame then? I think people are just hung up on his contract more than anything.
Rashers is capable of doing that. He’s also capable of a season of not trying. And that’s why his type ain’t suited to a team wanting to win the league.

He'll be gone during the break. We've had what, 3 wins? Fulham, Southampton and Barnsley. Piss poor.

And Fulham could've won that match, they have a 2 v 1 break in the 2nd half which they cocked up.

6 managers without any consistency including 2 of the all time greats and we're NOWHERE near being out of this. One bad marriage, maybe it's HER fault, 2? Maybe her too but after 5 or six, YOU are the problem.

Football is not a marriage, its not even comparable.

But if you want to compare it, I can give you a better comparison. You are a billionaire (United), the biggest personality in your field (United are one of the biggest clubs) so when you get married you want someone who matches all your ambitions, achievements etc..

You give her 10000's of millions to shop for how they dress and instead you get her spending the money on her friends and wasting it, not giving you anything back. Instead she is cheating on you and getting battered by your rivals left right centre and posting on socials.

That is what is happening, he has got millions to spend, yet cannot get a team to pass.

Ruud to get the job until the end of the season, do somewhat well, get a permanent contract, realise it was all a huge mistake in 18 months time, rinse and repeat.

He’s significantly worse than Moyes, and I never thought a day would come where I would say that.

We finished lower in the league than we did under Moyes with a goal difference I would not have thought possible.

We’ve spent significantly more money under him, with two of his signings being contenders for our worst signings ever (Felliani and Mata were useful now and then)

Our style of play manages to simultaneously look less potent when attacking while also more open and vulnerable in defense which makes us just awful to watch.

We didn’t regularly get hammered by our rivals and teams vaguely close to us.

Moyes was actually able to make it out of the CL group stage.

And lastly, Moyes was nowhere near as arrogant and insufferable to watch or listen to as ETH is, and I thought Moyes came across as undeservedly arrogant at United.

Two domestic cups don’t elevate ETH above Moyes. ETH is comfortably the worst United manager I’ve seen in my lifetime. Bald f raud doesn’t even begin to describe him. I’m actually seething while typing this. I dislike ETH as much as I’ve ever disliked anyone associated with football and as much as you can dislike a man you’ve never met.
I would also say in defence of Moyes, he immediately followed SAF which would have been an uphill task for any but maybe Ancellotti, Klopp, Pep?

Not only that the previous season SAF managed to get a league winning performance out of what was a squad that had pretty much come to an end and needed a massive overhaul, not sure anyone other than SAF could have got that squad to win anything (at that stage, ages etc.)

Ultimately the players really let Moyes down, they pretty much downed tools with a 3rd of the season left, (just like they did with Mou and Ole), not saying Moyes was great, that he was good enough or wouldn't have failed regardless, but I think he faced factors that none of the other post SAF managers had to face, I am confident that given £600m to spend and 3 seasons grace that we would be a better team under Moyes than we are under ETH

I'm convinced we will avoid defeat at Villa on Sunday, which will secure EtH for a nice run of fixtures in October.

Rashers is capable of doing that. He’s also capable of a season of not trying. And that’s why his type ain’t suited to a team wanting to win the league.

Exaclty. Regardless if a player scores 3, 10 or 30 goals in a season, there is one thing that should not change that much, that is effort.

Watch any top team play, Arsenal, City, Liverpool, their wingers will track back and make it hard for opponents, they will help the full back.

Its a mutual understanding, the winger helps the full back defensively, the full back helps winger in attack. Rashford isnt a team player, its that simple. You cannot see the full back flying forward and not track him if you want the team to win.

He'll be gone during the break. We've had what, 3 wins? Fulham, Southampton and Barnsley. Piss poor.
Everton have taken more points across their last 15 PL games than us. 21 points for them, 19 points for us. And they blew two 2-0 leads. :lol: Could be 23-27 points for them.

Since April, we've won 5 PL games from 14 games. 5 wins, 4 draws, 5 defeats. -4GD.

2 of our last 5 PL wins are against Sheffield Utd (relegated) and Southampton (rock bottom).

We've won 3 games this season - Fulham, Southampton and Barnsley. Lost 3 and drawn 3

That's pathetic
Actually if you include the charity shield which most do, we’ve won 3 from 10 drawn 4 lost 3, the epitome of a bang Average Mid Table club, the next game doesn’t matter, he has to go.

What I find staggering however, is that he knew that he was on extremely thin Ice. Buying Yoro was a great move and his pace would have helped had he not been injured however buying M De Ligt rather than paying the extra 20-25m for Branthwaite is madness, it’s clear that after two serious injuries a 26 year old Martinez who is not blessed with height or Pace is in decline and the club needed A left sides CB!

Both Maguire, Evan’s and Lindelof could rotate until Lenny was fit again. Yet again we’ve allowed him with his Veto to dictate transfer policy this summer when he’s clearly clueless. we could have bought the following players this summer for the same money and been a far better team ;

A Robinson - £25m - LB
J Branthwaite - £60m - LCB
Mazraoui - £13m - RB
A Onana - £48m - CM
J Duran - £38-40m - CF
L Yoro - £40m we over paid by £12m

This is what we should have done and we didn’t the extra £20-25m is negated by Jason Sancho loan with obligation to buy on last day. The key here is PL proven which 4 of our 6 transfers would have been rather than none of our 5 current signings this summer having any PL experience, ETH will not learn, he must be sacked on Sunday whatever the result?

We could have signed Duran for £10m
Before Villa but missed out and West Ham would have succeeded with a £38-40m bid in the summer, at the end of the season he’ll be £80-100m player?

Having Branthwaite and Yoro with another left back like Robinson would have revolutionised the team. Playing a high line with pace that condenses the pitch makes players like Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno more effective as they ending playing further away from our goal where they are huge risks of turnovers if we play a deep back line and they don’t have the legs to recover.

I don't think so. This squad is putrid now and it's mainly because the defence is glacial. We can't play aggressive because De Ligt, Martinez, Maguire are so fecking slow.

Any new manager has to make do with that rubbish at the back.
This is a load of shite. We've never had better defensive options since we were actually a good team. We've got an extremely quick defender coming back from injury with excellent potential, and De Ligt has good pace to be able to handle normal defensive duties. Playing a system where only Usain Bolt can adequately cover defensive spaces doesn't automatically make all our defenders shite.

I would say that atleast Ole set us up OK. I wasn't a fan of the football, even if it was occasionally effective.
But what ETH is doing to the shape of the team is absolutely horrendous.
Wtf is he thinking?
Would it even work on fifa?

I'm still backing him. Tired of us constantly sacking managers to then move onto someone completely different, who would want a different set of players and different set of style that will take us another 2-3 years to recover from. Give him to whole season at least and without pressure that he can be sacked at any time. The constant negativity around the club will only be detrimental right now.
So no accountability at any point until the end of the season? And it’s okay getting embarrassed and humiliated week in week out for the whole season?

There are some journos, Ogden cheif amongst them, that believe (or rather hope) that ETH won't be sacked even if there is a loss to Villa at the weekend. But imagine all the clicks and articles they won't be able to peddle if this 'psychodrama' (their words) didn't carry on and Utd were successful again!

I'm still backing him. Tired of us constantly sacking managers to then move onto someone completely different, who would want a different set of players and different set of style that will take us another 2-3 years to recover from. Give him to whole season at least and without pressure that he can be sacked at any time. The constant negativity around the club will only be detrimental right now.

Chelsea went thru 4 managers in 3.5 years before Maresca, who has been there 3 months and has them playing the best they have in years without a different set of players and we are in the 3rd season of ETH and he still needs time?

I still think he'll be gone by Monday morning at the latest.

Some people don't like to talk about it, but honestly the standards at Utd are lower than they have ever been. A decent 45 minutes against a crap winless Crystal Palace , where it's still only 0-0, gets hyped up as if we've just beaten prime Barcelona 5-0. We finished 8th last season, we're currently 13th this season, we've won 3 of the opening 10 games and those wins were against the mighty Fulham, southampton and Barnsley, we've been humiliated 3-0 at home twice in our last two home league matches.

And yet still he's here.

:lol:

7 of them against Barnsley.

Also absolutely nothing indicating he’s capable of sorting out the defense.

I put this in the same category as the "Well, Chelsea only have two league titles and one CL more than us in the last 10 years, so we won't gain much by sacking managers sooner".

Am I right in thinking that the whole "he has two games to save his job" thing came from Jamie fecking Jackson? I'd believe my dog before I believed Jamie "fecking" fecking Jackson.

I don't understand this wait for the International break idea. The longer this goes on, the harder it will be for the new manager to pick up the players. The players confidence must be in their boots at this stage. We are a laughing stock

It's actually annoying how spot on Carragher is when it comes to most things United related.

He said it weeks ago that it reminds him of Rodger's sacking season. Liverpool kept him on despite a poor league finish the season before, changed some of his backroom staff that summer, and invested in the squad. It didn't work out.

He was sacked by the 1st week of October, having taken 12 points from 24 available. He drew both Europa League games.

INEOS is a multi billion pound company. It's not about not having the money.
It’s more that it will come out if United accounts and we’re already pushing ffp. Also the reported fees for managers this summer seemed to have gone ridiculous with clubs demanding 20m+ for managers

It wouldn’t take any top coach to improve this shower of Sh… in two training sessions, they are so poorly set up and coached.

A great coach knows how to set up differently to cater for the opposition, he seems to respect no one bar Man City, Arsenal or Liverpool and sets up the same way, yet he had a plan for City in Fa Cup and Community shield Finals.

You can not play a low block and then try and be a team that works in fast transitions and tries to occasionally press the opposition.

You have ridiculous areas of space not covered, your front three for 15-20 minutes are pressing in the opposition penalty area. The length of most PL pitches are 104-106 metres and 65-68m wide.
If you have your front three in the last 10-15 metres of the pitch pressing, your Midfield 3 then 30-40 metres back on the half way line, not going to support because they are instructed not to because our Defence is so Slow they have to sit deep on our penalty box, wait for it another 35- 50 metres behind you have a terrible team structure, set up by the coach that allows for huge wide open areas for the opposition to exploit, and when we give the ball away in attack or midfield we get opened up at will and are so easy to play through.

This is on ETH, this is his tactics and he should have been sacked in the summer and someone new be installed as Head Coach in that period and then change the set up over a 4 week period.

If we are going to be a possession based team, we need to play a high line and have quick Defenders, which makes De Ligt and Mazraoui signings bizarre as neither have pace, Yoro does have elite pace and we needed to sign Branthwaite and Robinson who are both also quick to revolutionise the way you play, then we could use a PL proven player in DM like Onana from Everton who is also rapid as the DM.

These three signings would have been transformative and made sure the team was spending most of its time higher up with all 10 players operating in 60-70m area rather than 100-105m area!

This is the real reason, ETH teams conceded 2 or 3 goals so frequently, they are simply so easy to play against!

Onana would be playing 30-35m from his Goal and been a completely different Goal Keeper.

This is all on ETH, the first season I and many United fans gave him the benefit of the doubt, the players were not working hard enough and he was right but now they just look at him as if he’s a clown and they have no respect for his ridiculous tactics, they are running more, and getting poorer results because the whole set up is wrong, simply Time to Go Eric!

And I doubt that any top European Club will appoint him, in Ajax no one expects European success so he’s able to get away with his stubborn philosophy!

Result and performance aside what in the hell was the Rashford decision

You don’t ‘rotate’ a player who’s just scored and assisted in 45 minutes of football

Very strange how he played well a couple of weeks ago then found himself on the bench again the next match…..id understand it more if he didn’t play every single week last season whilst producing about 4 goals.

Am I right in thinking that the whole "he has two games to save his job" thing came from Jamie fecking Jackson? I'd believe my dog before I believed Jamie "fecking" fecking Jackson.
I don't like Jamie Jackson at all. I'm not a big fan of Mitten either. I know he's well liked by some, but he played a big part in getting fans behind the manager last season.

He was even chuffed with his Twitter poll. :lol:

Most journalists who cover United are annoying. Daniel Harris is another one I can't stand.

Who has actually improved under him? Dalot has become more consistent but that’s about it - everyone else is going backwards.

The other two that improved (AWB marginally and McTominay) he sold!

I was one of the people who wanted him to keep his job. The injuries last season were catastrophic, and a part of me wondered after beating City if maybe he can succeed with a fit squad and few new signings. But that was more of wishful thinking on my side. There's nothing wrong in Ineos giving him a chance, and also there's nothing wrong in realizing they made a mistake. Good leaders know when to cut their losses.

I still think he's a good man and a good coach, but ultimately the job of a manager is to get the maximum output from his players, and make sure they apply his ideas on the pitch, and he's unable to do that here.

From everything you hear about him, he strikes me as a Benitez kind of manager, someone who lacks charisma or leadership but knows a lot about football and has some good ideas. Top clubs require more than that, and I think that's why he can't get his message across. If you look at successful managers in recent history, the likes of Pep, Klopp or Ancelotti, they're all larger than life big charismatic personalities who command respect. United players are under a lot of pressure and they need a leader who can deal with that.

Think you are being awfully generous with that description. Yes hes won two cups, but all things considering i would not call him that

We have to move on to someone completely different, we are a complete shambles with a manager who is playing a style that has zero chance of being successful.

You can’t remove the pressure, he is doing a terrible job, everyone knows he should be sacked so that pressure is there no matter what the club say or do. Same goes for negativity, if you want it gone then sticking with a manager out of his depth is going to have the opposite effect.

He’s failed, he’s going to get sacked so let’s just get on with it.

I would also say in defence of Moyes, he immediately followed SAF which would have been an uphill task for any but maybe Ancellotti, Klopp, Pep?

Not only that the previous season SAF managed to get a league winning performance out of what was a squad that had pretty much come to an end and needed a massive overhaul, not sure anyone other than SAF could have got that squad to win anything (at that stage, ages etc.)

Ultimately the players really let Moyes down, they pretty much downed tools with a 3rd of the season left, (just like they did with Mou and Ole), not saying Moyes was great, that he was good enough or wouldn't have failed regardless, but I think he faced factors that none of the other post SAF managers had to face, I am confident that given £600m to spend and 3 seasons grace that we would be a better team under Moyes than we are under ETH
I agree with that. I think any manager coming to United off the back of one the greatest managers of all time, for 20yrs, was always on a hiding to nothing. If he took over now, it might be a completely different story, given his experience now and the ghost of Sir Alex not looming over him.
Really, Moyes was on a hiding to nothing walking into United when he did.

Again, if his future depends on the Villa game then that means he should go. No manager decision should come down to one result.

Result and performance aside what in the hell was the Rashford decision

You don’t ‘rotate’ a player who’s just scored and assisted in 45 minutes of football

Very strange how he played well a couple of weeks ago then found himself on the bench again the next match…..id understand it more if he didn’t play every single week last season whilst producing about 4 goals.
I've been saying this for ages, ETHs biggest problem is he mucks about with the team selection too much.

Taking Rashford off last night was baffling, probably one of the most bewildering decisions ETH has made in terms of subs.

If you're Rashford, you've got to be thinking, OK, so I play shite and get subbed but if I play well, I get subbed?

Absolutely. The proof is in the pudding. All these managers that we've sacked and have been labeled as poor managers, have all gone on to great things since leaving. This just shows that they were actually really good afterall and that Woodward was a genius at finding so many good managers for us.