Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Probably so but so was overpaying for and pissing away hundreds of millions on players who shouldn't have remained. Several are still in the club. A few played today. A different Manager doesn't fix this. Firing yet another manager only papers over the bigger problems that go WAY higher at the club.
The whole fecking structure of the footballing side of the club has been replaced, as everyone was crying out for.

occam's razor - the simplest solution is usually the best. I.e. replace the shite manager

Curious to see how LVG compares too.

As you wish:

Manager​
Games​
Goals Scored​
GF Avg PG​
Goals Conceded​
GA Avg PG​
GD​
ETH​
123​
206​
1.67​
161​
1.31​
+45​
Ole​
162​
293​
1.81​
173​
1.07​
+120​
Jose​
144​
244​
1.69​
121​
0.84​
+123​
LVG​
103​
158​
1.53​
98​
0.95​
+60​

Here's the GC table again with LVG added:

Manager​
Total Games​
Conceded 2+​
2+ Percentage​
Conceded 3+​
3+ Percentage​
ETH​
123​
46​
37.40%​
24​
19.51%​
Ole​
162​
47​
29.01%​
14​
8.64%​
Jose​
144​
31​
21.53%​
7​
4.86%​
LVG​
103​
23​
22.33%​
8​
7.77%​

As you wish:

Manager​
Games​
Goals Scored​
GF Avg PG​
Goals Conceded​
GA Avg PG​
GD​
ETH​
123​
206​
1.67​
161​
1.31​
+45​
Ole​
162​
293​
1.81​
173​
1.07​
+120​
Jose​
144​
244​
1.69​
121​
0.84​
+123​
LVG​
103​
158​
1.53​
98​
0.95​
+60​

Manager​
Total Games​
Conceded 2+​
2+ Percentage​
Conceded 3+​
3+ Percentage​
ETH​
123​
46​
37.40%​
24​
19.51%​
Ole​
162​
47​
29.01%​
14​
8.64%​
Jose​
144​
31​
21.53%​
7​
4.86%​
LVG​
103​
23​
22.33%​
8​
7.77%​
Thanks for posting.

The worst part of our indecisiveness is that it keeps inviting these tricky situations where you know that you should be letting him go, but he’s just got you a result that is probably slightly too good to pull the trigger at this particular moment (even if it was largely by luck not design that he even got this result in the first place). If we somehow fluke a win at Villa they will have no choice but to keep him.

Just come off a terrible performance vs Spurs.A difficult spell in general.

We get a bit lucky with the keeper tonight making mistakes and find ourselves two up.

Just park the bus and take the result Erik.

Anyone else think we’ll get pumped on Sunday but Erik will still keep his job? :o

I think there's a very good chance of that happening. He survived last season, he can survive anything. It's just disappointing to know Woodward would have sacked him for not meeting standards, yet Ineos are allowing this to continue. I hope they prove me wrong but I think they know they'll look daft for sticking with him in the summer and sacking him at a less convenient time, and are just hoping he can get one or two wins to keep the fans happy. Even though they probably know we're going nowhere under him.

I've been thinking this.

He has the two trophies, and of course trophies are very important, but I think in every other aspect he's been a complete disaster. Every stat or record tells you he's maybe been our worst manager yet in a lot of ways post Fergie
Look at the state of his cup draws. 98 % home games and he put out full strength lineups in most of those.

That Coventry whisker VAR offside saved him from being the biggest laughing stock in sports’ history.

One good thing is that atleast current manager cant hide behind “oh its Glazers fault “. We had a decent window, and ETH has all the players he wanted.

Now if he cant deliver in next few games, he should be sacked.

The worst part of our indecisiveness is that it keeps inviting these tricky situations where you know that you should be letting him go, but he’s just got you a result that is probably slightly too good to pull the trigger at this particular moment (even if it was largely by luck not design that he even got this result in the first place). If we somehow fluke a win at Villa they will have no choice but to keep him.
The most we'll get is a late draw, but still can't see him getting launched . It would have to be another 3-0 for that to happen.

Anyone else think we’ll get pumped on Sunday but Erik will still keep his job? :o
Unfortunately, yes. I have no faith in INEOS. He clearly should have been sacked at the end of last season. They even made that decision as briefed by several reliable sources. They then did a u-turn and even so much as disucssed a whole new contract before he rejected it and they triggered the extension.

I think this is something that is often overlooked. He oversaw our worst ever PL and European performance in history and they actually sat down to discuss a new contract with him.

Last edited:
I think there's a very good chance of that happening. He survived last season, he can survive anything. It's just disappointing to know Woodward would have sacked him for not meeting standards, yet Ineos are allowing this to continue. I hope they prove me wrong but I think they know they'll look daft for sticking with him in the summer and sacking him at a less convenient time, and are just hoping he can get one or two wins to keep the fans happy. Even though they probably know we're going nowhere under him.
I loath Woodward but at least he had the decency to sack someone who won the cup but finished 5th. Sickening to think this new gang came in and immediately lowered the standards to 8th being acceptable.

This club is broken man.

As you wish:

Manager​
Games​
Goals Scored​
GF Avg PG​
Goals Conceded​
GA Avg PG​
GD​
ETH​
123​
206​
1.67​
161​
1.31​
+45​
Ole​
162​
293​
1.81​
173​
1.07​
+120​
Jose​
144​
244​
1.69​
121​
0.84​
+123​
LVG​
103​
158​
1.53​
98​
0.95​
+60​

Manager​
Total Games​
Conceded 2+​
2+ Percentage​
Conceded 3+​
3+ Percentage​
ETH​
123​
46​
37.40%​
24​
19.51%​
Ole​
162​
47​
29.01%​
14​
8.64%​
Jose​
144​
31​
21.53%​
7​
4.86%​
LVG​
103​
23​
22.33%​
8​
7.77%​

Interesting figures, nice one!

Using that first table, GF Avg PG - GA Avg PG could be an interesting additional column too. Well I think it is, not suggesting you put it on! How many goals we scored more than the oppo on a per game basis on average, or "goal supremacy" per match. It equalises out the raw GD number and eliminates them all having been in charge for different numbers of matches just like the GF/GA Avg colums do to begin with.

ETH 0.36
Ole 0.74
Jose 0.85
LVG 0.58

Trophies are for egos, heh

Seriously, trophies are what it's about. Ideally Premier League and Champions League when you are in your boom times, but every club in a competitive league goes through lean times and winning the other trophies should be enjoyed as a pure victory, not downplayed. Especially when we played well in the biggest of the games..

It's completely separate from where we're at in development of a squad and team that competes over 60 games. Anyone can see that we're well off, objectively speaking
If all we did was come in 15th every year and get a jammy Carabao cup win, I’m not celebrating that. Sorry. You’re welcome to.

Seriously, though, if INEOS don't sack him on Monday, they are worse than the Glazers, and we were unlucky to be bought by them.

That’s how I feel too. If I don’t see a sacking by Monday lunchtime then this entire season is pointless. Don’t give a feck if we beat Villa. It’s a farce. We should have parted ways a day or two after the FA Cup Final and if anyone gave us shit for being cold blooded about it, we just point at the 8th place league finish and the bottom of our CL group which had Galatasaray and Copenhagen in it.

Perhaps a bit tinfoil, but I wonder if he's been told from above that he needs to rotate more, and he's gone into sabotage mode with some of his substitutions as a result (e.g., taking players off when they're playing well).

ETH will be sacked either late sunday or early monday.
The fact that his team has conceded 2 or more goals in over 50% of his games and 3 or more in 24 games, he simply has to go after the Villa game whatever the result!

He’s bought some of the worst signings we’ve ever seen and now we will have De Ligt, Ugarte and Zirkzee to add to Antony and Casemiro.

Even Martinez looks like a fraud without R Varanne next to him, I mean right now Eriksen, Maguire and Onana are the only players who actually deserves any credit whatsoever.

I loath Woodward but at least he had the decency to sack someone who won the cup but finished 5th. Sickening to think this new gang came in and immediately lowered the standards to 8th being acceptable.

This club is broken man.
I really don’t think that’s what had happened at all. The “new gang” took full control in the summer. I think from there most people said that there would be changes but the manager would get the chance to prove himself under the new footballing structure. I don’t think there was any suggestion that 8th was acceptable, not when Berrada is saying the objective is to win the title in 2028. Which is in 3 seasons.

Now do I think keeping ETH was a mistake? Yes, absolutely. I argued heavily for his removal, and was hugely disappointed and upset he remained in post. However, the reality is that there was an enormous amount of fan pressure to keep him because he had won a trophy, and be given the right to prove himself under a proper footballing structure and with backing in the summer.

This put Ineos in a lose-lose situation. If they sacked him, fans would’ve been up in arms; and if the new manager had a sticky start it would’ve unravelled quickly in terms of atmosphere. In the end they stuck with a manager that the majority of fans wanted - however ill informed those fans were and misdirected those petitions were - and we are where we are. I have no doubt they are regretting that decision now, but I do wish the fan base would take some accountability for this mess too. They applied enormous pressure to keep Erik, which was stupid, and now many of the same people (not saying you) have the gall to turn the finger on Ineos.

Everything I’ve seen about restructuring behind the scenes is extremely positive. The people brought in are best in class. This was never going to be a quick fix, and Ineos know that. I am certain they have a list of replacement candidates, many of whom have already been interviewed in advance. I’m looking at this and their success or failure over a 3-5 year window.

Perhaps a bit tinfoil, but I wonder if he's been told from above that he needs to rotate more, and he's gone into sabotage mode with some of his substitutions as a result (e.g., taking players off when they're playing well).

Or it ain't that deep and the player who was 'playing well' became complacent and stopped doing the basics, resulting in a 2 goal collapse and so was hooked for his unprofessional attitude

There's no turning back now, this is just absolute chaos. I would rather we lose to Villa without him anywhere near the bench than endure another 90 minutes of his car crash football. I can understand the logic of letting him fall on his own sword on Sunday to give whoever a bit of time before Brentford, but if by Monday there isn't atleast heavy rumours of him being removed then the senior management will be just as culpable as ETH by prolonging this disaster class.

Win or Lose against Villa should not matter if we dont see performance improvement. Otherwise its just delaying the inevitable
I don't see how improved performance matters. People were raving about 45 minutes against Palace and now look at us.

It's the same shitty predictable cycle again and again. Enough is enough

The first bit, maybe. The second bit, no

"I said it at the start of last season, judge us at the end of the season" - He genuinely thinks last season was a success because of the FA Cup win. Therein lies the problem.
Someone should tell him that he’s gonna get judged a lot earlier than end of season

It's likely we'll have 4 defeats after 7 league games after Villa game. That's embarassing after all the money spent and 2+ years in charge. Not even going to mention other stats like goals conceded in games (tonight was another one where we concede 3, feels like we've had 15 of those over last year). Ten Hag has failed massively since the start of last season and is lucky to still be in his position. Hopefully it's only few more days.

That's one of the annoying things about our approach. We just have to hope that we will finally be ruthless and think long term in a proper sense and stop writing off full seasons due to a couple of victories at the final hour. Getting rid of LVG after the cup final was the right play and we should have done the same with Erik, but there is too much of a weird narrative around Manchester United and managers that nobody applies to any other club, which holds us back.

Unbelievable that he still has defenders, I think anyone supporting him is actively sabotaging the club and that includes INEOS if they aren’t taking action soon.

Maybe I missed this before but was just reading that Steve McLaren had a bust up with ETH about trying to play more pragmatic and less chaotic, this was the reason he left in the summer

He's just so far out of his depth and has gotten overwhelmed with the pressure that he can't see or think clearly about his tactics, blaming others when it's his own garbage tactics that are the problem, time and time again. Beyond toxic is what he's become. fecking garbage.

Would not surprise me at all. If he can survive last season he can survive anything. He is one of the most durable managers I've ever seen. Difficult to really visualize what it takes for him to be gotten rid of at this point.