De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not, An extra £15m isn’t exactly pennies is it? We’re rumoured to have a tight budget and have other areas of the squad to address. Depending on how much we can raise through sales we may revisit this or we may go for a cheaper alternative.
Split over the course of the contract, which is 5 years, it is!

I know it’s not quite an exact science but you can broadly see the point being made I guess? Is our squad in £40-50m worth of need of a De Ligt vs retaining a Maguire and investing elsewhere for now?
Depends how good Yoro is, really. With the transfer fee - in spite of his age - is the assumption he’ll be first choice?

I will feel so much more comfortable going in to the season if we get him along with Yoro. We need four good CB options at least and those two, Martinez and Evans/Shaw would be perfect and a tremendous upgrade on what we have. Let Maguire and Lindelof go and we may not have even spent that much doing it!

We need to replace Evans, Varane and Kambwala.

How anyone is arguing against 3 new centre halves is beyond me.

Bring in De Ligt and then worry about sales afterwards. De Ligt, Ugarte, Toney and a utility player in would make this squad potential challengers.

Ehm...no. It would make us challengers for third place - we are still miles behind City and Arsenal, who both have good players and look like they have actually played football together before

We need to replace Evans, Varane and Kambwala.

How anyone is arguing against 3 new centre halves is beyond me.

I think everyone agrees we need 3 - but until we manage to shift Lindelof and Maguire - we can't sign three. And 2 is more than good enough - we need a CM and a striker much more

Would be bit awkward if a player express his will to join, then buying club shows him the middle finger, after agreeing terms.

Think this one is happening.

I still want de Ligt, he's a fantastic no nonsense defender, and more importantly his leadership qualities are very much needed.
We need to improve the overall mentality of the squad.

Reactions: Cheimoon
I'm convinced it will be Branthwaite now (if we get Yoro). It would make sense with EtH preferring left footed players playing left centre back. It caused issues last season being short on such players, so I can't imagine we wouldn't be shoring up in that regard - as opposed to overloading with right footed centre backs.

It would also mean we have two experienced (Maguire and Martinez) and two young (Branthwaite and Yoro) in each position. Overall it feel more balanced signing Branthwaite.

It wouldn't surprise me either if we went back for Branthwaite again, after signing Yoro, simply because of their respective preferred playing sides...but I can also see a new, left-footed target emerging for the LCB role. I just hope it isn't Inácio as with Martínez already in the squad, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for me. If not Branthwaite, I would like the idea of Lukeba, Hancko, or Calafiori.

De Ligt and Yoro are major Coups. I would still shy from offering anywhere near what Everton is asking for Braithwaite.

I hope we are still on for this one , even if Yoro does sign for us at 18 he might not be ready for the rigors of a premier league season as a regular starter.

De Light has the experience and is the right age to come straight away in and play a big part from the moment he arrives.

De Ligt is being overpriced by Munich and he'll need to force that price down as i just don't see us paying that.....as stated his experience, his age and his leadership are all positives but that price isn't

it's clear that Yoro is 1, De Ligt is 2 and Branthwaite is 3.....if we get shift casemiro and greenwood completes his marseilles deal, maybe De Ligt gets done but do we really need 6 senior CB's? harry,lindelof, evans, licha, yoro and de ligt? seems like harry or lindelof would need to go before adding a 2nd CB

This one will happen as well I think. Everton well and truly fecked themselves over with their valuation. I think they thought they were still dealing with the old guard at United and we'd pay whatever for Braithwaite.

Playing devil's advocate here. Will be very interesting to see ETH reaction if Utd don't follow through on De Ligt after securing Yoro and go back after Branthwaite. Personally it's a no brainer signing De ligt. Him, Yoro and Martinez would be three fantastic CBs to have.

I know it’s not quite an exact science but you can broadly see the point being made I guess? Is our squad in £40-50m worth of need of a De Ligt vs retaining a Maguire and investing elsewhere for now?
Absolutely see your point. Available money to spend versus needs of the squad is another big variable to take into account. The best case outcome though is to try and shift one of Lindelof/Maguire and use that fee towards acquiring MDL. I hope we get him because I think he's a big upgrade on Maguire. But that's just my opinion & if we finalise the Yoro transfer, the need for MDL diminishes a wee little I guess.

Ehm...no. It would make us challengers for third place - we are still miles behind City and Arsenal, who both have good players and look like they have actually played football together before

I think United have a good squad, but we don't have an elite forward or solid CM option that's whatll hold us back.

Depends on the suitors for Maguire/Lindelof. I don't think we'll get someone even close to De Ligt's quality for a cheaper price than what Bayern is willing to sell him for most likely

Absolutely see your point. Available money to spend versus needs of the squad is another big variable to take into account. The best case outcome though is to try and shift one of Lindelof/Maguire and use that fee towards acquiring MDL. I hope we get him because I think he's a big upgrade on Maguire. But that's just my opinion & if we finalise the Yoro transfer, the need for MDL diminishes a wee little I guess.
Oh agreed. If we could sell Maguire and his wages off the books and transfer fee covers the amortised cost for this season of De Ligt (entirely possible) I can see it being a goer.

I just wonder if until that happens that £40-50m would be better spent while available on a DM/CM.

Depends on the suitors for Maguire/Lindelof. I don't think we'll get someone even close to De Ligt's quality for a cheaper price than what Bayern is willing to sell him for most likely
Probably true here. Of course we have to consider the wider squad situation too.

I'm more interested in DM options, unless we are locked in on Ugarte and that's ready to be pushed forward as well, because we have hardly heard a peep apart from him.
I’m with you on that. Next signing a DM/CM and we’ll already have had a very solid window.

Martinez and Yoro our 1st choice CB.
Don't think we'll sign another CB, especially if we keep Lindelof and Maguire.
We need another LB, since Shaw is injury proned.
Also, we need a CDM to replace Casemiro.

Martinez and Yoro our 1st choice CB.
Don't think we'll sign another CB, especially if we keep Lindelof and Maguire.
We need another LB, since Shaw is injury proned.
Also, we need a CDM to replace Casemiro.
Plus a RB if we're selling AWB, which seems to be likely.

If Bayern are keen to sell him this summer and we’re the only serious suitor then hopefully we’ve strengthened our hand in negotiations by signing Yoro.

It could scupper their plans if we walk away and we’re no longer desperate for a CB (although we could really do with at least one more). Hopefully the asking price will come down to meet our valuation.

So Bayern have spent €100m albeit amortized over 5 years but they still need to sell. If they can lower their demands by €7-10m I think we will make a deal.

Sad that this might not happen now. It would have been good to get Bayern's 'best defender'. :(

Oh agreed. If we could sell Maguire and his wages off the books and transfer fee covers the amortised cost for this season of De Ligt (entirely possible) I can see it being a goer.

I just wonder if until that happens that £40-50m would be better spent while available on a DM/CM.

Probably true here. Of course we have to consider the wider squad situation too.
Agreed with you. If it was a choice between a DM or a CB, i'd choose a DM as well but hoping we get rid of Casemiro and either Maguire/Lindelof to be able to get the MDL and a DM (Ugarte?) signing over the line.

Agreed with you. If it was a choice between a DM or a CB, i'd choose a DM as well but hoping we get rid of Casemiro and either Maguire/Lindelof to be able to get the MDL and a DM (Ugarte?) signing over the line.

Yeah I am confident we will go back for him and get Ugarte after selling those two

Status
Not open for further replies.