De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this is happening now we have Yoro. Right footer, similar price, we seemed to start distancing ourselves after everything was in place just as things with Yoro heated up. Personally, I didn't really want De Ligt. Injury concerns, older age profile (about to turn 25), a high wage, and in general his performances for Juve and Bayern have been massively overrated on here imo. If it was a choice between the 2, I'm absolutely delighted we chose Yoro.

If we do get another cb, I suspect it will either be Branthwaite or a cheaper young cb. Ultimately, I'm confident Yoro is being brought in to be a starter despite many on here seeming to think otherwise.

I don't think this is happening now we have Yoro. Right footer, similar price, we seemed to start distancing ourselves after everything was in place just as things with Yoro heated up. Personally, I didn't really want De Ligt. Injury concerns, older age profile (26), a high wage, and in general his performances for Juve and Bayern have been massively overrated on here imo. If it was a choice between the 2, I'm absolutely delighted we chose Yoro.

If we do get another cb, I suspect it will either be Branthwaite or a cheaper young cb. Ultimately, I'm confident Yoro is being brought in to be a starter despite many on here seeming to think otherwise.
He's 24, not 26.

I think the fact he is on the bench for both club and country, the fee needs to be reduced. With Yoro coming in we are no longer desperate for De Ligt. It would be a good signing at €40m, assuming Lindelof and/or Maguire are sold.
Pretty sure Dier put Upemacano to the bench not de Ligt. Kim became the #3 option to their 1-2

I don't think this is happening now we have Yoro. Right footer, similar price, we seemed to start distancing ourselves after everything was in place just as things with Yoro heated up. Personally, I didn't really want De Ligt. Injury concerns, older age profile (about to turn 25), a high wage, and in general his performances for Juve and Bayern have been massively overrated on here imo. If it was a choice between the 2, I'm absolutely delighted we chose Yoro.

Kambwala is gone. Varane is gone. I think Lindelof will be gone this summer. Maguire may be gone this summer (although more likely next summer). We can’t just bring in an 18 year old to replace all the departures. There needs to be another CB addition - along with a LB addition so Shaw can slot in as LCB in case of a Martinez injury.

Rio played for west ham which is far different from the pressures of playing for Manchester United. That was more than 25 years ago. He only started 8 matches for them. They sent him on loan to Bournemouth at the beginning of the season too.

None of the other players you've mentioned played as an 18 year old first choice centre back in the premier league.

Odds are firmly stacked against Yoro being ready right now.

De Ligt literally was in a UCL semifinal at 18, which I'd say is actually more impressive than rocking up to Bournemouth on a Saturday morning. Pau Cubarsi is even younger playing in El Clasico at the Bernabeau.

You're doing the same thing many did with Mainoo or any other top level teenager. When players show you they are good enough, just believe them instead of thinking they'll crumble under pressure or something else just because they are young. The PL isn't some all conquering monster, especially if the player can handle the physical demands. That doesn't mean Yoro won't ever make a mistake, but he's not Paddy McNair coming in from the U-21's with his eyes wide either.

25 is now older for CBs?
Compared to Branthwaite (22) and Yoro (18). Just one of the points I listed. Not like that would dq him on its own.

Kambwala is gone. Varane is gone. I think Lindelof will be gone this summer. Maguire may be gone this summer (although more likely next summer). We can’t just bring in an 18 year old to replace all the departures. There needs to be another CB addition - along with a LB addition so Shaw can slot in as LCB in case of a Martinez injury.
More likely we'll go for Branthwaite or another for squad depth. Thought Aaron Anselmino might make sense as a cheap, young squad option we've been linked with, but he seems to be pretty close to joining Chelsea so might have to look elsewhere.

Expecting us to sell Lindelof but think Maguire will stay. That's Licha, Yoro, Maguire, Evans, Shaw. Most teams wouldn't have more squad players than that for just cb tbh. Depends if our injury situation is the same as last season. Hopefully it won't be. I do think Branthwaite will be prioritised if we're still going for a starting quality cb. Otherwise we might go for a squad option. Either way, I get the impression De Ligt was the alternative to Yoro and Todibo.

De Ligt literally was in a UCL semifinal at 18, which I'd say is actually more impressive than rocking up to Bournemouth on a Saturday morning. Pau Cubarsi is even younger playing in El Clasico at the Bernabeau.

You're doing the same thing many did with Mainoo or any other top level teenager. When players show you they are good enough, just believe them instead of thinking they'll crumble under pressure or something else just because they are young. The PL isn't some all conquering monster, especially if the player can handle the physical demands. That doesn't mean Yoro won't ever make a mistake, but he's not Paddy McNair coming in from the U-21's with his eyes wide either.

I hope he is ready to play straight away as first choice.

But history tells us that the premier league far too physical for an 18 year old centre back to be first choice. It hasn't happened in 25 years. The gunners had to send saliba on loan for 3 years before he was ready.

Lenny likely will need to be brought along slowly and given time to adjust to a new country and far superior league.

I hope he is ready to play straight away as first choice.

But history tells us that the premier league far too physical for an 18 year old centre back to be first choice. It hasn't happened in 25 years. The gunners had to send saliba on loan for 3 years before he was ready.

Lenny likely will need to be brought along slowly and given time to adjust to a new country and far superior league.

Yeah we definitely need to sign another CB

Bayern fans see him as their best center back, his last 3 years has been quite good fitness wise and at 24 he's probably at the right age profile given how young Yorro is.

Tell Bayern we take him now for 40 plus 5m add ons. I think they have to sell first before buying Tah

Bayern fans see him as their best center back, his last 3 years has been quite good fitness wise and at 24 he's probably at the right age profile given how young Yorro is.
All Bayern's cbs have been awful though. There's a reason Eric Dier was getting so much praise from their fanbase (and really he was seen as their best cb while he was there in the 2nd half of last season). I doubt many would be keen on the idea of bringing in Dier, and he was available on a free. Fair point on the age profile.

I don't understand how you can say his fitness has been good the last 3 years. He's had consistent problems with his inner knee ligament since joining Bayern. The fact that injury specifically has recurred is a big warning sign. He's missed 25 games across 3 separate occasions on that specific injury in the last 2 years. I'd imagine it's a big part of why Bayern want to get rid.

At least one of Lindelof and Maguire should be off and Evans is 36, should be nothing more than an emergency back up
Well that changes the conversation. Of course if one of them goes then they will need replacing. Evans played far more minutes than we thought last season, he can definitely do a job as fifth centre back. Thats before we even dip into the academy.

How many teams in world football (with a back four) have more than five senior centre backs.

I really hope we still get de Ligt. Think he would be brilliant for us and is a natural leader which we desperately need. Hoping Lindelof goes and that frees up the necessary cash. I have a feeling Utd will end up spending pretty big this summer.

Bayern clearly want to sell him and he has given priority to Man Utd. Ashworth and co. can let them sweat a little.

I am hoping the reason for the delay is that we’re waiting for Maguire and Lindelof to leave first

It’d be madness to not go for him still imo.

I love Martinez but his fitness record has been suspect since he joined.

If we move Lindelof on, and end up with;

Martinez
De Ligt
Yoro
Maguire
Evans

As our choices at CB then it’s been a good window. I wouldn’t be opposed to moving on Maguire either if we can get a taker depending on what we do with the full backs, as Shaw can also cover LCB.

Martinez
De Ligt
Yoro
Maguire
Evans

As our choices at CB then it’s been a good window. I wouldn’t be opposed to moving on Maguire either if we can get a taker depending on what we do with the full backs, as Shaw can also cover LCB.
You’d expect the higher wages to move, so maguire.

Martinez
De Ligt
Yoro
Maguire
Evans

Can anyone confirm if he's played at LCB?

Think we are still in the market for De Ligt. Reason Yoro being prioritized over De Ligt might be for the simple reason that he is available for pre-season tour while De Ligt is still entitled to two weeks holiday. Can't imagine going into the season solely depending on a 18 year old and Martinez while having Maguire, Lindelof and Evans as backups. Just does not make sense.

Think we are still in the market for De Ligt. Reason Yoro being prioritized over De Ligt might be for the simple reason that he is available for pre-season tour while De Ligt is still entitled to two weeks holiday. Can't imagine going into the season solely depending on a 18 year old and Martinez while having Maguire, Lindelof and Evans as backups. Just does not make sense.

Could be a tonne of reasons, De Ligt reportedly only wants United whereas Yoro was time critical due to the Madrid interest.
Bayern may also be asking a little higher than what United think they can De Ligt for considering he only wants us.

Absolutely convinced we start the season with De Ligt and Martinez as our starting CB’s.

problem with waiting for the sales of maguire and lindelof....you aren't guaranteed it takes place but you also, as in the case with McT, know how much they raised from those sales and it puts you in a position of weakness not strength

I don't think there's any chance we are still in for de Ligt. I always believed that the club wanted Yoro over him in addition to Branthwaite. Now that Branthwaite is looking unlikely, it remains to be seen whether we sign an alternative or stick with what we have.

Scary.

Martinez is top of our pecking order.
Yoro will be next but needs his minutes managed...

If either of these aren't playing the drop off in ability is massive. Suspension and injuries and we're screwed again.

Don't you think it'd be better to get another left footed option for the LCB position given Licha's injury troubles for the last 12 months or so? If we are keeping Maguire, then Yoro and him would be the first two options for the RCB spot and Evans the emergency option. As for LCB, we don't have a proper back-up if Licha is out. Shaw can play there but we need him at LB.

Part of me does think that aye. But I’ve barely seen us linked to a left footed centre back so I’m wondering if that’s something they aren’t looking at, or want two solid options at CB that are right footed and then have Licha and then Shaw as cover but we all know his injury troubles. So not really sure. But with the opportunity to get De Ligt I think it would be too big a chance to pass on. But yeah, someone for CB that’s left footed we need to.

All Bayern's cbs have been awful though. There's a reason Eric Dier was getting so much praise from their fanbase (and really he was seen as their best cb while he was there in the 2nd half of last season). I doubt many would be keen on the idea of bringing in Dier, and he was available on a free. Fair point on the age profile.
They say he's been their best center back over the past 2 seasons. So this idea that he's overrated at Bayern is far fetched, considering their own fans value him immensely. Dier had a good start but the jury is out on him given he played barely half a season.
I don't understand how you can say his fitness has been good the last 3 years. He's had consistent problems with his inner knee ligament since joining Bayern. The fact that injury specifically has recurred is a big warning sign. He's missed 25 games across 3 separate occasions on that specific injury in the last 2 years. I'd imagine it's a big part of why Bayern want to get rid.
22 appearances last season but the run of games he had since Christmas if I'm not mistaken proved he put that injury behind him. The season prior he had 31 Bundasliga appearances. The season prior to that for Juventus he made 31 league appearances.

This injury record being poor is very overcooked, it reminds me of when people thought Kane was a crock because he had a major injury in one season, and proved he put it behind him.

I’m happy with Martinez, Yoro and Maguire as the main 3. Replace Lindelof and then we have 4 very solid CBs

They say he's been their best center back over the past 2 seasons. So this idea that he's overrated at Bayern is far fetched, considering their own fans value him immensely. Dier had a good start but the jury is out on him given he played barely half a season.

22 appearances last season but the run of games he had since Christmas if I'm not mistaken proved he put that injury behind him. The season prior he had 31 Bundasliga appearances. The season prior to that for Juventus he made 31 league appearances.

This injury record being poor is very overcooked, it reminds me of when people thought Kane was a crock because he had a major injury in one season, and proved he put it behind him.
He missed a further 3 games between April and May due to problems recurring with his inner-knee ligament. The more recent injuries are, the more concerning they should be. The shoulder injury he had at Juve has not become a recurring problem since his recovery, but early signs suggest this knee ligament very well could be.

I think we'll still get him if Bayern lower the fee. £50m is what they want right?
Euros. About 42m which is a fair price in my opnion. But I also understand why we are haggling. Bayern are very dfficult to deal with and are also not in a position to demand top Dollar as they want to get rid. So they have to drop the price or we'll go sign Tah instead.
Scary.

Martinez is top of our pecking order.
Yoro will be next but needs his minutes managed...

If either of these aren't playing the drop off in ability is massive. Suspension and injuries and we're screwed again.
Which is why De Ligt has to happen. The drop off in quality after Yoro is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.