De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why people are calling this deal off if Yoro actually goes through, seems like we need a minimum of 2 CB, we will surely be shifting Lindelof, we have lost Varane and Kambwalla, and clearly ETH does not fancy Maquire if he has any other options

We need to replace Evans, Varane and Kambwala.

How anyone is arguing against 3 new centre halves is beyond me.
Our budget might be. Difficult to say how much we really can spend.

I guess we will buy another CB but de Ligt only if Bayern lower their demands

I wonder if we still pursue this deal? I'm assuming Yoro has been guaranteed a starting place in terms of what we've offered him over Real Madrid (and much bigger wages too I would imagine). De Ligt and Yoro for the two right centre back spots looks very competitive. I'd imagine Licha and possibly Shaw for the LCB spot, Evans as a reserve. I guess this means Maguire and Lindelof are leaving.

Not sure why people are calling this deal off if Yoro actually goes through, seems like we need a minimum of 2 CB, we will surely be shifting Lindelof, we have lost Varane and Kambwalla, and clearly ETH does not fancy Maquire if he has any other options
I'm actually surprised that more people aren't calling it off

De Ligt/Yoro feels similar to the Morata/Lukaku swerve. I can't see any way De Ligt comes now

I think another CB will only happen with a sale of either Maguire or Lindelof, and even then I think it'll be a CB who can also play at full back.

Licha
Yoro
Maguire
Lindelof
Evans

Our CB options . Definitely not buying one unless we move Lindelof off.

I really hope we go for de Ligt over Branthwaite. Get this done!

Indeed! I'm choosing to believe they are getting some sales done first and then getting De Ligt done. We have already shifted a massive amount in wages which is great but seen what happens with greenwood gone then AWB, McT, Lindelof and Casemiro.

Indeed! I'm choosing to believe they are getting some sales done first and then getting De Ligt done. We have already shifted a massive amount in wages which is great but seen what happens with greenwood gone then AWB, McT, Lindelof and Casemiro.
Don't you think it'd be better to get another left footed option for the LCB position given Licha's injury troubles for the last 12 months or so? If we are keeping Maguire, then Yoro and him would be the first two options for the RCB spot and Evans the emergency option. As for LCB, we don't have a proper back-up if Licha is out. Shaw can play there but we need him at LB.

But that’s a very light list.

We had an extra defender last year and still struggled to field a defence
You can’t expect to have more than five central defenders to cover two positions? Imagine being sixth choice knowing that five people need to be unavailable for you to play, no one will accept that.

Shaw should also be covering centre back if we are looking for left backs.

This guys gonna be fuming if we don’t sign him. Clearly desperate to join us.

I'm actually surprised that more people aren't calling it off

De Ligt/Yoro feels similar to the Morata/Lukaku swerve. I can't see any way De Ligt comes now

I think another CB will only happen with a sale of either Maguire or Lindelof, and even then I think it'll be a CB who can also play at full back.
We may need sales to go through before more signings come in, but Yoro alone does not address the issues we had in defence last season, assuming Martinez stays fit and there is no reason to suggest that he will not, his injury was caused by impact and aggravated by bringing him back too quickly, then we have Yoro and Martinez 1st choice, still leaves Maquire and Lindelof as second choice, whilst Maquire did well last season (fair play to him coming back the way he did), he clearly does not fit ETHs style of play, and Lindelof is just not good enough, it is unlikely that either will be at Utd beyond next season even if they stay this window, De Ligt is a relative bargain in todays market, and Martinez has played FB/WB in his career so I still think this is on, particularly due to De Ligt's pressing, interception and progressive passing, I know he has not had the best time at Bayern but at the price he is a massive upgrade on Maquire and Lindelof, De Ligt, Yoro and Martinez rotating or playing as a 3 is a very exciting prospect (to me at any rate)

Licha
Yoro
Maguire
Lindelof
Evans

Our CB options . Definitely not buying one unless we move Lindelof off.

I’d say it’s more likely we’re buying one regardless of whether we sell Lindelof. No way we go into the season with those 5 as our options.

Centre back is a different story though.

It's not, actually there is far more evidence of young CB's thriving at the top level early then CM's. Varane, De Ligt ironically to name a couple. Our very own Rio. Cubarsi, Gvardiol, Quansah just this past year. Yoro is a athletic beast with top level technicality as well, it's not like he's some scrawny 15 year old that's never had a kick at the senior level.

Once the Greenwood sale is finalised, he will come. The club is not going to reject him just because we have signed a kid that won't be in the best 11 yet.

I think we'll still get him if Bayern lower the fee. £50m is what they want right?

I think the fact he is on the bench for both club and country, the fee needs to be reduced. With Yoro coming in we are no longer desperate for De Ligt. It would be a good signing at €40m, assuming Lindelof and/or Maguire are sold.

It's not, actually there is far more evidence of young CB's thriving at the top level early then CM's. Varane, De Ligt ironically to name a couple. Our very own Rio. Cubarsi, Gvardiol, Quansah just this past year. Yoro is a athletic beast with top level technicality as well, it's not like he's some scrawny 15 year old that's never had a kick at the senior level.

Rio played for west ham which is far different from the pressures of playing for Manchester United. That was more than 25 years ago. He only started 8 matches for them. They sent him on loan to Bournemouth at the beginning of the season too.

None of the other players you've mentioned played as an 18 year old first choice centre back in the premier league.

Odds are firmly stacked against Yoro being ready right now.

You can’t expect to have more than five central defenders to cover two positions? Imagine being sixth choice knowing that five people need to be unavailable for you to play, no one will accept that.

Shaw should also be covering centre back if we are looking for left backs.

At least one of Lindelof and Maguire should be off and Evans is 36, should be nothing more than an emergency back up

He needs to come as soon as Lindelof leaves. Surely someone will agree to pay 20 million for a 30 year old versatile defender with 178 PL apps for Man Utd and 68 games for Sweden? Should get at least 4 and possibly 5-6 more decent years out of him.

At least one of Lindelof and Maguire should be off and Evans is 36, should be nothing more than an emergency back up
Evans was clearly signed for another year to bring some experience and professionalism to the young squad of players...and of course his wife

Status
Not open for further replies.