De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One from Yoro or De Ligt surely - It can't be only one in general. Assuming Lindelof is sold;

Martinez
Yoro/De Ligt
Maguire
Evans

Way short.
Unless an LB is brought in and the standing assumption is Shaw covers for LCB with Martinez.

LB in /Shaw (or the other way around)
Martinez / Shaw / Maguire / Evans
Yoro / De ligt / MAguire / Evans
Dalot / Bissaka

I am not De falling for the De Light/De Jong transfer hypes anymore. I've learned my lesson long ago. As long as we have ETH I feel like there will be an ever present link with these two (overrated IMHO) guys and I am not going to accept a word of until either is actually in our kit.

Is it madness to prefer we sign Yoro?

De Ligt for the fee reported seems a good deal. But I think Yoro would be a better long term PL CB.

De Ligt for the fee reported seems a good deal. But I think Yoro would be a better long term PL CB.
I would want both. Yoro will be eaten alive by both the pundits and even our fans if he has bad games as our starting CB. Wouldn't matter if he was 18. I've seen the clusterfeck of Hojlunds thread from last year. I would like Yoro to be a rotation option with another experienced CB for couple of years and then take over the starting spot if he becomes absolutely undroppable. We would have enough games in a season to keep both happy anyways.

i'd prefer to sign Yoro of the two HOWEVER i think we need to sign both simply b/c we don't know how many matches a year Licha can play due to his injuries and robustness

Yoro is only 18 and isnt ready to be first choice at a club like ours yet and will need time to settle and develop so we need to sign De Ligt to be Lizu's regular partener and Yoro to be a backup who can make sub apps as well as a rotation option for the League Cup and the 8 Europa League games.

Yoro is only 18 and isnt ready to be first choice at a club like ours yet and will need time to settle and develop so we need to sign De Ligt to be Lizu's regular partener and Yoro to be a backup who can make sub apps as well as a rotation option for the League Cup and the 8 Europa League games.
I’m also in favor of signing both De Ligt and Yoro but in terms of the age argument I would disagree and both Garnacho and Mainoo are examples.

I would want both. Yoro will be eaten alive by both the pundits and even our fans if he has bad games as our starting CB. Wouldn't matter if he was 18. I've seen the clusterfeck of Hojlunds thread from last year. I would like Yoro to be a rotation option with another experienced CB for couple of years and then take over the starting spot if he becomes absolutely undroppable. We would have enough games in a season to keep both happy anyways.
I’d love both too, I think it would be a great balance of good age profiles, a nice mix of current solid ability and potential too. I just worry the fees may be prohibitive.

Yoro I could see being a Europa CB from the off.
i'd prefer to sign Yoro of the two HOWEVER i think we need to sign both simply b/c we don't know how many matches a year Licha can play due to his injuries and robustness
I think we need two CBs too. I just think if you said one only I’d prefer Yoro.

I just think Yoro is a bigger statement of intent also from INEOS than De Ligt is and I do worry that De Ligt may have injury issues in the more physically intense PL.
He probably needs another season of development to be seriously competing for a starting spot minimum but my view of this is that the whole team needs these kinds of players that can develop into world class starters.

De Ligt is a very good CB and for the fee is decent value too.

Given both Yoro and de Ligt are right footed, I think we’ll only sign one of the two. But my preference is to sign 2x CBs at least.

I just worry the fees may be prohibitive.
Greenwood is more or less sold which should give us a fair bit of cash for this summer and we also sold Kambwala. I don't think it's going to be a problem and I'm sure we can afford it. I think it's just us trying to get Bayern lower their asking price for a player they are clearly looking to sell.

I’m also in favor of signing both De Ligt and Yoro but in terms of the age argument I would disagree and both Garnacho and Mainoo are examples.
I think wingers and midfielders are far more likely to get significant minutes as teenagers than CBs are in the premier league.

Basically 4th choice behind Branthwaite, Todibo and Yoro but Caf experts said I was talking nonsense when I said this the other day.

The fact is that you don't have a single clue - and neither do any of us here. It's just how it is. We make a lot of assumptions on this forum, simply based on our own opinions and wishes. There is nothing to suggest that de Ligt is 4th choice when he was the first RCB we bid for. There were talks of Todibo, but nothing concrete. Branthwaite was always going to be on the left side and not next to Martinez, and Yoro probably isn't going to be the starter at the age of 18. It is very unlikely we're only going to sign one centre back, so de Ligt and Yoro in the same window isn't unlikely.

In fact just to add to my previous post no PL club has played a teenage CB as their main starter this season.

FM24%20Matthijs%20de%20Ligt.png

I know it is just a game. However, this represents a consensus of people who actually watched him. Anyway, better just my opinion. My point is: Anyone thinking that this monster will be a backup to a 18 y/o from Lille should think again.

Greenwood is more or less sold which should give us a fair bit of cash for this summer and we also sold Kambwala. I don't think it's going to be a problem and I'm sure we can afford it. I think it's just us trying to get Bayern lower their asking price for a player they are clearly looking to sell.
Still a lot to be sorted on the Greenwood front but his sale would hugely help us from a cash flow POV.

I don’t think we sell Kambwala without someone like Yoro being a serious option.

It's a tricky one. I think Yoro has become the most hyped defender in the world, and I'm not sure he justifies it. He does have a lot more pace than de Ligt and a higher ceiling if he realises his potential, but de Ligt clearly wants to join and has played under Erik, and demonstrates leadership qualities and more ready though still young. The big thing is the injuries with de Ligt.

I really want both.

FM24%20Matthijs%20de%20Ligt.png

I know it is just a game. However, this represents a consensus of people who actually watched him. Anyway, better just my opinion. My point is: Anyone thinking that this monster will be a backup to a 18 y/o from Lille should think again.
That agility is Maguire level. I don't think he's as slow as Maguire on the turn.

It's a tricky one. I think Yoro has become the most hyped defender in the world, and I'm not sure he justifies it. He does have a lot more pace than de Ligt and a higher ceiling if he realises his potential, but de Ligt clearly wants to join and has played under Erik, and demonstrates leadership qualities and more ready though still young. The big thing is the injuries with de Ligt.

I really want both.
I think we need both, or at least we need Yoro + a more experienced player. I guess I’d be more disappointed to lose out on Yoro than De Ligt though.

The youngest undisputed staring CB in the PL this season was Zabarnyi (an excellent defender) but even he is now 21. So I think it’s unrealistic to expect Yoro to walk into the league as a starter, same as if he moved to Madrid.

Yoro has a greater athleticism than De Ligt which is why long term he’ll probably be better suited to the PL and in convinced we could find an alternative to De Ligt easier than finding a player with the upside of Yoro.

I certainly hope we’re trying to obtain both MDL and Yoro. Our centreback options are shocking outside of Martinez.

Orny said it was one or the other.

To be more exact, he wrote that "the current expectation" is that it's one or the other. That's not quite the same as saying "it's one or the other".

For example, that expectation could be based on the assumption we don't receive an acceptable bid for either Maguire/Lindelof, a sale which would certainly require us to sign a second CB. And while it's fair to make plans on that basis when it hasn't happened yet, that doesn't mean there isn't a relatively good chance of it happening.

I expect us to have 4 CBs plus Evans on top. Therefore, we will buy 2 and sell Lindelof. I also hope we buy a LB. A RB would be too much to ask Im afraid

The fact is that you don't have a single clue - and neither do any of us here. It's just how it is. We make a lot of assumptions on this forum, simply based on our own opinions and wishes. There is nothing to suggest that de Ligt is 4th choice when he was the first RCB we bid for. There were talks of Todibo, but nothing concrete. Branthwaite was always going to be on the left side and not next to Martinez, and Yoro probably isn't going to be the starter at the age of 18. It is very unlikely we're only going to sign one centre back, so de Ligt and Yoro in the same window isn't unlikely.
No one remotely reliable has reported that we've actually bid for De Ligt, unlike the others.

No one remotely reliable has reported that we've actually bid for De Ligt, unlike the others.
I don't think it's very relevant when he has agreed on personal terms for the contract. Surely it indicates we want him. It just comes down to negotiating down the price, as we have got proper people doing the business now who don't just bend over to every club's demands.

I don't think it's very relevant when he has agreed on personal terms for the contract. Surely it indicates we want him. It just comes down to negotiating down the price, as we have got proper people doing the business now who don't just bend over to every club's demands.

De Ligt is very much done, if United pay the fee then he will be on a jet pretty much the next day.

I like the sound of Yoro and De Ligt personally, I hope United just aren't getting only one.

I get your point, and the closest is fofana at 19. However, the same thing has been said for Kobbie and he has exceeded all expectations.
I think though there are far more examples of CMs that breakthrough in their teens.

Lavia, Mainoo, Wharton, Caicedo and Scott come to mind in the last few seasons.

i'm quite surprised that Yoro seems to have taken preference over De Ligt. Yoro is very much focused on joining Madrid, but Madrid isn't really interested in matching our fee with Lille. It seems as if De Ligt and Yoro are both targets, but I thought you'd wrap up the one that is very happy to join first, and then try and tempt the hesitant one. Also, I don't see Yoro as a 30+ game starter for us the minute he hypothetically walks in the door. So the INEOS tactics on this one seem....interesting. We need both.

Maybe the worry is, if we sign De Ligt first, Yoro will panic at the thought of not starting games? Whereas right now we can make more "promises" to him in the negotiations?

all guesswork. But I hope we get De Ligt

Really hope we get this done. I would love Yoro as well but pushing hard for a guy that doesn't even want to be here gives me Frenkie PTSD. Just get De Ligt in before Bayern change their minds. It's a really good deal for us.

Really hope we get this done. I would love Yoro as well but pushing hard for a guy that doesn't even want to be here gives me Frenkie PTSD. Just get De Ligt in before Bayern change their minds. It's a really good deal for us.
The last player we bought who was convinced by his selling club and entourage to move to us despite his heart being elsewhere was... Di Maria.

The last player we bought who was convinced by his selling club and entourage to move to us despite his heart being elsewhere was... Di Maria.

:lol: even just reading his name makes my blood boil. Genuinely hate that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.