De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't help but feel like this is more of a backup option. This is based on little more than feeling, but Bayern want to sell him, he's happy to move (Hi Frenkie) and United by all accounts aren't far away in terms of Bayern's valuation. If this was our first choice, then I think it would have happened already. I feel like Yoro and Branthwaite are actually our first choices, and if Branthwaite doesn't work out then we pull the trigger on De ligt. Yoro seems like someone we want to get in regardless of who else joins.

I can't help but feel like this is more of a backup option. This is based on little more than feeling, but Bayern want to sell him, he's happy to move (Hi Frenkie) and United by all accounts aren't far away in terms of Bayern's valuation. If this was our first choice, then I think it would have happened already. I feel like Yoro and Branthwaite are actually our first choices, and if Branthwaite doesn't work out then we pull the trigger on De ligt. Yoro seems like someone we want to get in regardless of who else joins.

To me the Branthwaite one looks already dead? Everton don't desperately need the money now, and we're (rightfully) not going to go anywhere near the amount they want for him.

Same, I'd like it to happen regardless of who else we are after at CB as we need at least 2.

De Ligt, Yoro, Martinez, Evans, Big CB talent.. Sounds like a perfect 5 to me..

Shipping off Lindelof and Maguire should also raise some funds!

To me the Branthwaite one looks already dead? Everton don't desperately need the money now, and we're (rightfully) not going to go anywhere near the amount they want for him.
I'd agree it's dead. They sold Onana to villa. If we pay their asking price we are the same Utd that overpaid for Antony, Maguire etc.

I think the plan was Branthwaite (as the must sign him) plus another, whether that be todibo or yoro or de ligt.

Hopefully this gets done soon, I'm actually more excited about this than the Yoro rumour. He still has the potential to be amongst the best CBs in the world and is a great age to come in and make an instant impact.

Hopefully this gets done soon, I'm actually more excited about this than the Yoro rumour. He still has the potential to be amongst the best CBs in the world and is a great age to come in and make an instant impact.
According to Yoro thread, Yoro has rejected Utd move (this morning).

It'd be better to get both but if we still get De Ligt then I'm not too bothered.
Me neither. De ligt is only 24 and has won titles in Holland, Italy and Germany. By all accounts he has the mental attributes you'd want from a captain for your team.

As far as I'm concerned, the more of these mentally strong, winners with drive and determination we get into the squad the better. It raises standards in training and in matches.

Me neither. De ligt is only 24 and has won titles in Holland, Italy and Germany. By all accounts he has the mental attributes you'd want from a captain for your team.

As far as I'm concerned, the more of these mentally strong, winners with drive and determination we get into the squad the better. It raises standards in training and in matches.
Yeah, he's a really good defender too and looks built for the premier league.

Don’t get why people are stressing. It’s irrelevant whether it’s this week or next that it gets done. The guy is on holiday so won’t make a difference to when he actually starts.

40 odd million and 170k a week was the wage I saw somewhere. Absolutely no chance he’s a back up option for those prices.

I dont want to be to pessimistic, but us waiting for Yoro just makes it feel like we will miss both

Buy the easy (and better cb) first, then focus on Yoro.

Why's everyone wetting their pants? Whitwell has said we're still in talks for him. Negotiations aren't an overnight job when you don't want to overspend, if we just coughed up what Bayern want, we'd get taken to the cleaners by everyone.

Why's everyone wetting their pants? Whitwell has said we're still in talks for him. Negotiations aren't an overnight job when you don't want to overspend, if we just coughed up what Bayern want, we'd get taken to the cleaners by everyone.

Aye, I'm not really understanding the hysteria and "it's off!!!!" panic. It just doesn't fit with what's going on.

Ornstein mentioning that its either De ligt or Yoro. We need 2 CB so most likely we are looking at some other option at LCB

Starting to think the whole thing is made up.

If United, Bayern and the player all want it to happen, and have done for weeks, it should have been done by now.

I'm calling bollocks.
From Whitwell's article this morning:
In parallel, United have been pursuing moves for Matthijs De Ligt and Leny Yoro. Progress has been achieved on each front recently, though the current expectation is they would recruit one or the other as opposed to both.
Looks like we're seeing if we can convince Yoro first, if not then we'll pull the trigger on De Ligt.

From Whitwell's article this morning:

Looks like we're seeing if we can convince Yoro first, if not then we'll pull the trigger on De Ligt.

In theory, this seems like a risky strategy if true, even though it obviously happens all the time. Depends how much De Ligt loves our bald leader I suppose.

In theory, this seems like a risky strategy if true, even though it obviously happens all the time. Depends how much De Ligt loves our bald leader I suppose.
It's probably why we've said we want an answer from Yoro as soon as.

Why would we even let journalists know that? This is incredibly stupid.

If Yoro says no, and Bayern demands 10m more, then what? I see no benefit in putting this story out.

Why would we even let journalists know that? This is incredibly stupid.

If Yoro says no, and Bayern demands 10m more, then what? I see no benefit in putting this story out.

It’s nonsense, people act as though the Athletic is impeccable and only ever print stuff they know to be 100% correct. They also gloss over the fact that in his article he says “the expectation is”, which is likely his and others at the Athletics own expectations.
I’ll say this now, De Ligt is coming, no chance have we gone this far with a player of his stature to try and dupe him. And no chance are we expecting an 18 year to come straight from Ligue 1 to go straight in as our starting CB for the season, especially with Martinez injury record.

It’s nonsense, people act as though the Athletic is impeccable and only ever print stuff they know to be 100% correct. They also gloss over the fact that in his article he says “the expectation is”, which is likely his and others at the Athletics own expectations.
I’ll say this now, De Ligt is coming, no chance have we gone this far with a player of his stature to try and dupe him. And no chance are we expecting an 18 year to come straight from Ligue 1 to go straight in as our starting CB for the season, especially with Martinez injury record.
We're not trying to dupe him though, we're trying to get whom we consider to be a bigger talent.

We're not trying to dupe him though, we're trying to get whom we consider to be a bigger talent.

Of course we’d be duping him if we get him to tell his employer he wants the move, string him along with contract negotiations, just to then say “no mate, we got Yoro, sorry, never really wanted you”.
Don’t believe it for a second, he’ll be coming here.

Not sure whether he'd be buzzing to the idea that we are waiting whether we can sign Yoro over him.

working on multiple targets at one go is a must. It pits potential sellers and potential signings against one another which in turn drives prices down in terms of salaries and fees. Imagine being the owner of a club. You had taken the risk of putting a high earner on sale, he managed to find a club were he's keen to go to and yet, that deals go tits up because for 5m. Good luck explaining that to the player. The same can be said about the player himself. You're a step away from a your dream move only for everything to collapse because what the agent is asking is a bit too much. There would be some solid explanations to be done afterwards.

working on multiple targets at one go is a must. It pits potential sellers and potential signings against one another which in turn drives prices down in terms of salaries and fees. Imagine being the owner of a club. You had taken the risk of putting a high earner on sale, he managed to find a club were he's keen to go to and yet, that deals go tits up because for 5m. Good luck explaining that to the player. The same can be said about the player himself. You're a step away from a your dream move only for everything to collapse because what the agent is asking is a bit too much. There would be some solid explanations to be done afterwards.

It defies logic that we would be prioritising an 18-year-old lad from league one over a proven top centre back who seems desperate to want to join despite currently playing for a much better team.
With the way we seem to be running the club currently, it makes absolutely no sense that we would be risking that deal on the faint hope a guy doesn’t get a good enough offer from Madrid, or doesn’t decide to wait a year from them, and then comes reluctantly.

I wonder how De Ligt feels knowing that he's the second choice option to an 18 year old kid that want's to go to Real Madrid?

This is my opinion too. What is being suggested seems ridiculously risky and the two players are completely different.

This is my opinion too. What is being suggested seems ridiculously risky and the two players are completely different.

De Ligt and his agent aren’t daft either, as this suggests. If United were genuinely stalling, on this faint hope for Yoro, his agent would 100% know it and as De Ligt still has high stock at Bayern, he’d likely tell us to get fecked.
But sure, we’re that stupid.

It defies logic that we would be prioritising an 18-year-old lad from league one over a proven top centre back who seems desperate to want to join despite currently playing for a much better team.
With the way we seem to be running the club currently, it makes absolutely no sense that we would be risking that deal on the faint hope a guy doesn’t get a good enough offer from Madrid, or doesn’t decide to wait a year from them, and then comes reluctantly.

No one knows what our priorities are and that's by design. Now do I believe that is Yoro our first team CB target? I doubt it. However its also true that if we buy Yoro then we're less desperate for a CB then if we sign no one. This will be strengthening our hand on the negotiating table regarding either Jarrad or De Ligt.

Status
Not open for further replies.