De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one knows what our priorities are and that's by design. Is Yoro our first team CB target? I doubt it. However its also true that if we buy Yoro then we're less desperate for a CB then if we sign no one. This will be strengthening our hand on the negotiating table regarding either Jarrad or De Ligt.

Actually it wouldn’t strengthen anything, Everton aren’t selling Jarrad cheaper just because we bought and 18 yr old, and same goes for De Ligt. Bayern could easily recoup the money quoted for him, but right now he’s apparently so daft, he’s instructed Bayern and his agent only to negotiate with United, despite United apparently “stalling” on the hope of an 18 yr old.

It’s such a stupid suggestion whichever you look at it.

Of course we’d be duping him if we get him to tell his employer he wants the move, string him along with contract negotiations, just to then say “no mate, we got Yoro, sorry, never really wanted you”.
Don’t believe it for a second, he’ll be coming here.
Bayern are the ones who want him to move, we’ve not gone in and unsettled him. I don’t know why you’re having such difficulties accepting that we have a priority target, as reported by the most reliable United journalist. Having multiple targets and deals on the go is possibly the most normal thing in football.

Bayern are the ones who want him to move, we’ve not gone in and unsettled him. I don’t know why you’re having such difficulties accepting that we have a priority target, as reported by the most reliable United journalist. Having multiple targets and deals on the go is possibly the most normal thing in football.

sorry pal, but who has reported that the 18 yr old is our priority target?

Last edited:
It’s nonsense, people act as though the Athletic is impeccable and only ever print stuff they know to be 100% correct. They also gloss over the fact that in his article he says “the expectation is”, which is likely his and others at the Athletics own expectations.
I’ll say this now, De Ligt is coming, no chance have we gone this far with a player of his stature to try and dupe him. And no chance are we expecting an 18 year to come straight from Ligue 1 to go straight in as our starting CB for the season, especially with Martinez injury record.
Its coming from Ornstein so it has lot of credibility.

Style of play, not level or quality. Reading properly helps
It wasn't levelled at a particular post or poster. It's more how with comparisons like that, people extrapolate, think he's going to come in to be our first choice CB and simultaneously think that's good enough to challenge teams above us.

There are obvious draw backs to both transfers if it's only one of them coming in.

It wasn't levelled at a particular post or poster. It's more how with comparisons like that, people extrapolate, think he's going to come in to be our first choice CB and simultaneously think that's good enough to challenge teams above us.

There are obvious draw backs to both transfers if it's only one of them coming in.
I keep saying it but I’d be absolutely blown away considering Martinez availability if we decided to buy just one CB, especially a really young one just starting his career.
We’ve bid for 3 CB’s, 2 of them at the start of their careers.

Logic tells me we want De Ligt and also someone we see as a top prospect.

I keep saying it but I’d be absolutely blown away considering Martinez availability if we decided to buy just one CB. We’ve bid for 3 CB’s, 2 of them at the start of their careers.

Yeah I have to believe this is the case. This whole Yoro or De Ligt thing seems bonkers to me, we need both. De Ligt plus one.

De Ligt is someone i believe would be more who Ten Hag wants & more than what INEOS wants.

I can see Ten Hag saying he wants De Ligt & INEOS being open about it as an option if their preferred targets should fail.

I still think Yoro & Brantwaithe sit as their priority targets whilst Ten Hag has probably started to get in to De Ligt's head.

I think players like Ugarte, Yoro & Brantwaithe will either be completed or taken a knock before we go in & complete a deal for De Ligt.

Every report says we’ve bid for De Ligt too and are in negotiations with Bayern.

Looks clear to me we want two CB’s and De Ligt is priority, then it’ll be a younger CB from France or Everton. Makes sense too.

I think the wording of certain tweets don't do any favours, they'll of course have been negotiating what is an acceptable offer behind the scenes. The "concrete offer" is probably the formal bid that Bayern are knowingly going to accept. If anything that tweet might be a positive thing because it suggests we've actually reached an acceptable price for both clubs.

I keep saying it but I’d be absolutely blown away considering Martinez availability if we decided to buy just one CB. We’ve bid for 3 CB’s, 2 of them at the start of their careers.

Also the latest article says we're open to offers for Lindelof.

So going into the season with Martinez, Yoro, Maguire, Lindelof and Evans would be mental. Let alone if we sold Lindelof.

Also the latest article says we're open to offers for Lindelof.

So going into the season with Martinez, Yoro, Maguire, Lindelof and Evans would be mental. Let alone if we sold Lindelof.

It’d be more mental if we fecked up the De Ligt deal cause we were waiting on someone who didn’t ever really fancy the move, forcing us to spend 60m on Braithwaite to start the season with Martinez, Braithwaite, Maguire and Evans :lol:

I’m not having it, we want De Ligt + a top ineos identified prospect.

It’d be more mental if we fecked up the De Ligt deal cause we were waiting on someone who didn’t ever really fancy the move, forcing us to spend 60m on Braithwaite to start the season with Martinez, Braithwaite, Maguire and Evans :lol:

I’m not having it, we want De Ligt + a top ineos identified prospect.
Agreed, but even if we got our desired outcome of our "first choice" look how shit the outcome is :lol:. We wouldn't even get Branthwaite for £60m either, so we'd end up even worse position there and even if we got both of them, is that really good enough for the outlay? I'm not so sure.

There must be something the negotiation team but have heard about his injury record, could be that isn't looking good.

Actually it wouldn’t strengthen anything, Everton aren’t selling Jarrad cheaper just because we bought and 18 yr old, and same goes for De Ligt. Bayern could easily recoup the money quoted for him, but right now he’s apparently so daft, he’s instructed Bayern and his agent only to negotiate with United, despite United apparently “stalling” on the hope of an 18 yr old.

It’s such a stupid suggestion whichever you look at it.

I believe that with Varane and Kambwala gone, + with UEFA stopping us from signing Todibo then we had never been in a weaker negotiation position as we are now. Yoro's signing will help rebalance a bit. I do believe we still need another 1-2 defender. However let's not pretend that Yoro is a Hugill or an Amass. He's a player who had already played 46 games at top French league level having made his debut at age 16.

What I find fascinating is how things would proceed if we buy Yoro. At that fee he'll have to play. Now I have a feeling that we're moving Martinez as LB which would mirror what many other clubs are doing (Arsenal, City, PSV under RVN but also Ajax when ETH was there with Blind). We might still squeeze De Ligt in if the price is right. However if we run out of juice then maybe someone more experienced and less expensive might do. Tah for example looks like an experienced version of Jarrad. He's 6ft5, he's super fast (35.8km'/h) and unlike Jarrad whose passing happens to be his Achilles heel, Tah's passing ability is off the charts. Could Tah really be a target at 25m euros? Alternatively could we be briefing the media on Tah and Yoro vs De Ligt as a way to make Bayern lower their fee? All of that seems plausible to me

Last edited:
Makes a massive change to have multiple options on the go to reports that "this is THE Guy UNited are obsessed with" like Frenkie or Antony meaning the selling club just holds you to ransom because you clearly have no other backups. This is VERY much an improvement in transfer business being conducted by the new crew.

Hopefully we get both Yoro and De Ligt

Liverpool were shit until they got Becker and VVD. We need an overhaul like that.

Lindelof and Maguire are dreadful and shouldn't be at the club.

What has Ornstein said? This nice use of the word “seem”.

A paragraph before that is more interesting:

In parallel, United have been pursuing moves for Matthijs De Ligt and Leny Yoro. Progress has been achieved on each front recently, though the current expectation is they would recruit one or the other as opposed to both.

It was always Branthwaite as main target plus another CB. As Branthwaite ain't happening this summer its probably both of them now (Yoro and De ligt) but the financing is the tricky bit. Utd need to know if Yoro will say yes as it will impact the financing structure of the de ligt deal I presume. Nothing more sinister than that.

Yoro alone wouldn't be enough, plus he would need his minutes carefully managed. Hence De ligt would be ideal a another CB purchase this summer.

It was always Branthwaite as main target plus another CB. As Branthwaite ain't happening this summer its probably both of them now (Yoro and De ligt) but the financing is the tricky bit. Utd need to know if Yoro will say yes as it will impact the financing structure of the de ligt deal I presume. Nothing more sinister than that.

Yoro alone wouldn't be enough, plus he would need his minutes carefully managed. Hence De ligt would be ideal a another CB purchase this summer.

Yep I agree with this take. I think they'll structure the deal a bit differently for De Ligt depending on if Yoro is coming or not. e.g., how much they pay upfront, how much they pay over time etc.

I hope we have a deadline for Yoro and don't wait too long because that seems to be holding up the De Ligt deal.

it’s exactly the same. “The expectation is”.

I mean, “it seems” and “the expectation” screams that it’s an opinion of those at the Athletic.
If there was any actual confirmation of that being the case they’d word it much stronger, even “though at present they are only interested in recruiting one of the players and not both”.

I mean, Ornstein even actually fecking clarifies why HE THINKS this is likely the case, because he feels the De Ligt should be easy to wrap up and thus it not being done yet means there are other reasons.

I don’t buy it for a second that we would prioritize Yoro over de Ligt. He’s 18 and probably not ready to be a regular straightaway and we need two defenders anyway. Besides it would be a slap in the face for ETH if we were to sign a young defender over his preferred choice of a player that he is so familiar with and that he has worked with before.

We will either sign both or just de Ligt. No way we are going to get just Yoro.

I don’t buy it for a second that we would prioritize Yoro over de Ligt. He’s 18 and probably not ready to be a regular straightaway and we need two defenders anyway. Besides it would be a slap in the face for ETH if we were to sign a young defender over his preferred choice of a player that he is so familiar with and that he has worked with before.

We will either sign both or just de Ligt. No way we are going to get just Yoro.

Aye, the idea we prioritise an 18 yr old from Ligue 1 carries zero logic for me. This all stems from Ornstein thinking De Ligt should be easy to wrap up and wondering why we must be “stalling”, those thoughts he actually confirms himself in the article.
Could though be a tonne of reasons why the De Ligt deal isn’t quite as simple as they hope, such as Bayern delaying until they get Tah sorted etc.

I'm not sure if it was Branthwaite plus one of them. We probably entered the offseason not expecting Bayern to be looking to sell De Ligt for a decent price or that Yoro might also be a possibility, so at that point Branthwaite probably was priority. But once all three of them seemed to be on the table it felt more like it was De Ligt plus one of Branthwaite and Yoro (which also does make the most sense in terms of age profile). In saying that, the rumours over the last day or two seem to go against that, so nobody really knows.

We've got the nutcase centre back, we now need to get the ball playing defender to go with him. That is not Maguire or Lindelof.

With Varane and Willy gone, Lindelof likely to leave, and Maguire being injured, we'd be negligent to go into the season with just Martinez and Evans again. Evans will hardly play this season, he'll be used as he should've been used last season (sparingly) so for me we absolutely need 2 more centre backs at least. De Ligt, Yoro, Martinez, Maguire as the main 4, then Evans and possibly one of the kids as emergency back up if needed.

So we went from "United want to sign 3CBs" to one apparently, this is why you dont trust the likes of Luckhurst :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.