De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if we do, I doubt branthwaite and Yoro accept big transfers to become 3rd and 4th choice options. I can see it for Yoro being 3rd choice, but both of them as backups I don't see.
I can see a slight change in tactics if we get all 3. I think one will be used as an inverted LB. Preferably Martinez or Branthwaite. Similar to how City and Arsenal have used there CB as FBs. But if city can get one of Akanji, Dias and Stones to be happy with a rotation option then we should be able to. They’ll be even more games aswell with the new Europa system.

I can see a slight change in tactics if we get all 3. I think one will be used as an inverted LB. Preferably Martinez or Branthwaite. Similar to how City and Arsenal have used there CB as FBs. But if city can get one of Akanji, Dias and Stones to be happy with a rotation option then we should be able to. They’ll be even more games aswell with the new Europa system.
Oh 1 is fine don't get me wrong, I just don't see both. But also Branthwaite for big money to be a rotation option is different to them signing Akanji on cheap for that role. In addition, they're a proven great team guaranteed to win trophies with the lure of playing for Pep. It's easier to convince players for those roles with that backing, like we used to do. United isn't that right now so it's tough to see.

Also in terms of the fullback thing, I dunno. Tem Hag sees Martinez exclusively as a CB and he's mentioned it quite often, while Branthwaite isn't exactly like Gvardiol who showed he's versatile throughout his career. Same with Timber at Arsenal.

Just don't see us spending 150m on center backs alone! My guess is if Yoro chooses to go to Madrid, then we'll pivot to somebody like Chalobah at Chelsea as the depth option, we'll sign De ligt, and branthwaite will be too expensive so we light choose to keep Maguire..

I cant see how we can justify 3 CB signings personally, we need at least 1 CM, preferably 2, plus we have signed a striker. Feels a lot in 1 window.

Oh 1 is fine don't get me wrong, I just don't see both. But also Branthwaite for big money to be a rotation option is different to them signing Akanji on cheap for that role. In addition, they're a proven great team guaranteed to win trophies with the lure of playing for Pep. It's easier to convince players for those roles with that backing, like we used to do. United isn't that right now so it's tough to see.

Also in terms of the fullback thing, I dunno. Tem Hag sees Martinez exclusively as a CB and he's mentioned it quite often, while Branthwaite isn't exactly like Gvardiol who showed he's versatile throughout his career. Same with Timber at Arsenal.

Just don't see us spending 150m on center backs alone! My guess is if Yoro chooses to go to Madrid, then we'll pivot to somebody like Chalobah at Chelsea as the depth option, we'll sign De ligt, and branthwaite will be too expensive so we light choose to keep Maguire..
Ye that makes sense. Good valid points. De Ligt is obviously one CB we’re getting as he only wants to join us so that makes it easier. The other 2 are a bit tricky because ones to expensive and the other wants Madrid. But other than these 3 I’ve not really seen us linked with any other CBs. Chalobah is an option like you said but if we’re serious about getting at least 2 CBs then we should be looking at alternatives to Branthwaite as I can’t see that happening. And as much as I really want Yoro more than any of the other 2, that’s going to be a tricky one if Madrid decide to pay them.

I cant see how we can justify 3 CB signings personally, we need at least 1 CM, preferably 2, plus we have signed a striker. Feels a lot in 1 window.

We don’t have to worry about justifying it, let Ashworth etc worry about that.

Also rumours are the midfielder would be a loan with a future fee.

Yeah 3 CBs even if Maguire, Lindelof and Varane all leave seems a bit overkill. That'll give us Martinez, De Ligt, Yoro and Branthwaite. I think we'll do one of Branthwaite or Yoro.

Onana
Evans - Lindelof - Maguire
AWB - De Ligt - Branthwaite - Yoro - Martinez - Kadıoğlu

Bruno

Matches: 38
Goals conceded: 10
Goals scored: 8
If we sign 3 centre-backs who are young, how do we keep them all happy? We have a lot of games but CBs don't get rotated much unless there are injuries. It's a good problem to have though. Our midfield is starving.

If we sign 3 centre-backs who are young, how do we keep them all happy? We have a lot of games but CBs don't get rotated much unless there are injuries. It's a good problem to have though. Our midfield is starving.
You answered your own question. It’s a good problem to have. It’s that simple. Competition breeds success, if a player takes their spot for granted they’re out of the team before they know it.

Onana
Evans - Lindelof - Maguire
AWB - De Ligt - Branthwaite - Yoro - Martinez - Kadıoğlu

Bruno

Matches: 38
Goals conceded: 10
Goals scored: 8
:lol: :lol: That 8 goals scored feels a bit optimistic.

Maybe we are looking at a change of formation this season. 3-5-2 anyone?
Precisely what came to my head when I saw the 3 CBs news. Highly doubt Yoro would be signed to deputise anybody. Likely we go to 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 or Yoro right back, Pep style.

Surely we're letting one of our current CBs go?
The nice thing about this transfer window is that we haven’t been waiting on sales before we do our business which is what happened last year. We were going to replace Maguire and a few names were linked like Kim Min-jae, Todibo and Pavard but ultimately because we couldn’t shift Maguire we couldn’t sign anyone and I’m sure Maguire used that to his advantage to stay.

This year it seems the other way round - buy 3 CB and inform him he’s 5th choice.

The nice thing about this transfer window is that we haven’t been waiting on sales before we do our business which is what happened last year. We were going to replace Maguire and a few names were linked like Kim Min-jae, Todibo and Pavard but ultimately because we couldn’t shift Maguire we couldn’t sign anyone and I’m sure Maguire used that to his advantage to stay.

This year it seems the other way round - buy 3 CB and inform him he’s 5th choice.
Yeah, that's really great. We seem to be making moves and not waiting for sales which was a huge problem cause nobody would take our fringe players. Also, it seems we're doing multiple deals at once. :D

just goes to show that we should put more focus on getting players in from abroad. With the PL tax (and United tax), there just isn't that much value to be had.

Not to shit on Kilman, who is a decent CB. But in no world should 27 year old Max Kilman cost as much as 24 year old Matthijs de Ligt.

Yep. I actually like Kilman but there is no doubt De Light is a much more talented player.

40 million really isn't a lot for a player anymore.

Martinez, De Ligt, Yoro, Evans, (Shaw). Not bad options at CB, then you could sell all of Maguire, Lindelof and Kambwala!

Dalot, AWB, Kadioglu, Shaw. Could be better, but with Kadioglu in you have suddently better backup for RB/LB, a potential starter instead of Shaw, and gives the option to use Shaw at LCB when needed / relevant. In this situation, I would love to see us loan out Malacia if he is free from his injury. Could also be an idea to upgrade on AWB with someone that can compete with Dalot directly but with 3 defensive players acquired in this situation I do not see that happen and that is also ok

Any chance Martinez plays at LB and just tucks in to make a 3? Assuming we signed 3. It’s not what I’d do but I just wonder with the noise of signing 3CBs what actually the plan is.

So something like this transitioning into something below;

Onana
Dalot - Yoro - De Ligt - Martinez
Ugarte - Mainoo
Rashford - Bruno - Garnacho
Zirkzee

Onana
Yoro - De Ligt - Martinez
Dalot - Ugarte - Mainoo - Garnacho
Bruno
Rashford - Zirkzee​

No? Why are so many people struggling with the concept of having a strong group of center backs?

It's a headscratcher isn't it?

Especially following a season we put out some of the weakest centre back combos we have done in 30 years.

Where we've let Varane go and seen Martinez miss a huge chunk of the season.

Where everyone has moaned about Lindelof, Evans and even a resurgent Maguire.

ourselves/owners/directors? Like any business I suppose.
I mean, those players wont be bought behind owners, directors' backs or something.

Also why not make an overhaul of our CB department if there's a possibility.

I dont get it, we all agree team is in a bad shape and needs changes and quality, club is trying to fix it yet you see cries about buying too many CBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.