De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 3 solid CBs is a good foundation for success in the PL, if you look at Stones, Ake, Dias or VVD, Matip, Gomez or now with Arsenal who are the closest challenger to City (Gabriel, Saliba, Timber) + all these teams had/have additional 2nd string CBs who would pick up the slack when needed.

Yoro, De Ligt, Martinez would form a solid core with Kambwala, 1 of Maguire/Lindelof in reserve (and any of these guys can become starters if they improve their game). Shaw can also step into that CB role if the need arises, so it's also important that we have a couple of those versatile players who can play a couple of positions in defence. If we sign 3 CBs, they will be sharing minutes in 2 positions rather than playing as a back 3 imo - and that will greatly help in managing our injuries and having a capable side against every opponent we face.

Is De Light captain material?

Not really followed the guys since his Ajax days.

I don't think we have enough strong characters.

Surprising effort for a 'flop' as I keep hearing over and over here.

The consensus amongst Bayern fans isn't a happy one over potentially losing him

I really hope it’s this guy and Yoro.
I honestly don’t know enough about Branthwaite (spelling?), but De Ligt has experience and Yoro, although also don’t know nothing about him would be cheaper, younger and highly regarded around Europe.

In saying that though, if we were actually interested in signing all three, I’d have to assume we’d be going to a back three, which I’d actually be happy with

I really hope it’s this guy and Yoro.
I honestly don’t know enough about Branthwaite (spelling?), but De Ligt has experience and Yoro, although also don’t know nothing about him would be cheaper, younger and highly regarded around Europe.

In saying that though, if we were actually interested in signing all three, I’d have to assume we’d be going to a back three, which I’d actually be happy with

Branflake isn't close to good enough. No idea what the thinking is there.

Maguire refused to leave because he knew he would get minutes last season. With an injury prone Varane gone, and two new signings, he will very likely be more open to leave.

No? Why are so many people struggling with the concept of having a strong group of center backs?

I understand the concept perfectly fine.

Maybe I just didn't expect us to start behaving like a proper club this early under the new ownership.

I hope we show the same intend to bolster the squad in attack. Adding another forward after Zirkzee would really be positive - especially someone with experience from Premier League.

Maybe I just didn't expect us to start behaving like a proper club this early under the new ownership.

I hope we show the same intend to bolster the squad in attack. Adding another forward after Zirkzee would really be positive - especially someone with experience from Premier League.

Hojlund, Amad, Garnacho, Rashford, Bruno, Zirkzee

We don't need another unless one leaves.

Maguire refused to leave because he knew he would get minutes last season. With an injury prone Varane gone, and two new signings, he will very likely be more open to leave.

Hoping Maguire and Lindelof leave, extend Evans for an extra year. To get some value out of Maguire and Lindelof better now than in a few years when they're worth 10-15m due to age.

Maguire refused to leave because we wouldn't help west ham cover his wages. He wasn't going to take a drastic pay cut to move.

That does seem to be the plan once Greenwood is sold. Go for Calvert Lewin or Toney. Obviously the former depends on how Branthwaite saga plays out first with Everton.

That does seem to be the plan once Greenwood is sold. Go for Calvert Lewin or Toney. Obviously the former depends on how Branthwaite saga plays out first with Everton.

I'm really not sure either of those two fall in to the strategy INEOS's new guys seem to be following. They're both too old and expensive. If we sign an experienced striker to compliment what we have I don't think they'll spend more than £20m, and I don't think there's a player like that available.

I'm really not sure either of those two fall in to the strategy INEOS's new guys seem to be following. They're both too old and expensive. If we sign an experienced striker to compliment what we have I don't think they'll spend more than £20m, and I don't think there's a player like that available.

I hope they can show some flexibility with strategy

Here's a question, are De Ligt and Zirkzee INEOS signings or ETH signings?

Ask as some journos think ETH has played a blinder in the off season with INEOS and strengthened his hand. 2 more Dutch players coming. 2 Dutch coaches coming into the club to replace a Dutch and a South African coach.

He still has his veto over signings. He has got his wish to have the medical department overhauled. Not sure if he got his wish to have the youth team over hauled.

So it's hard to tell between INEOS targets and ETH targets.

We were briefed by media last week that we were looking at DCL and Toney as potential signings as an experienced striker. That doesn't fit in with INEOS buying plans for 17-24 year olds. So maybe ETH wants a experienced striker?

He only has 1 year left on his contract and is heading towards the end of his career so sitting out his big contract here with the possibility of a bigger sign on bonus next summer when he is out of contract might also be more appealing to him now.

All those defenders and still no place for our reigning Players' Player of the Year, Dalot? Or Shaw?

Who needs Onana and Bruno on the field anyway?
Don’t worry to much about that lineup

Ask as some journos think ETH has played a blinder in the off season with INEOS and strengthened his hand. 2 more Dutch players coming. 2 Dutch coaches coming into the club to replace a Dutch and a South African coach.

He still has his veto over signings. He has got his wish to have the medical department overhauled. Not sure if he got his wish to have the youth team over hauled.

We were briefed by media last week that we were looking at DCL and Toney as potential signings as an experienced striker. That doesn't fit in with INEOS buying plans for 17-24 year olds. So maybe ETH wants a experienced striker?

Think he does want experienced ST

Can we stop all that rhetoric? The players we sign are club`s signings and they are scouted and prepared within the clubs footballing and coaching department.

Why on earth would anyone want Calvert fecking Lewin at United?

I would hope both or we are probably heading towards another car crash of a season. We should be looking at players that the manger thinks he can coach and fits into the system we intend to use but at the same time they need fit into the long term plans layed out by the football directors.

You call it strengthening his hand, I call it heaping maximum pressure on himself. There will be zero excuse this year if he does not deliver. Can't blame club structure anymore. Can't blame backroom staff anymore. If he does not deliver (and there's a pretty decent chance of that happening), he will almost certainly be gone.

Well, if concluded, they’ll be Manchester United signings.

Not sure pinning on a particular person serves any meaningful purpose, other than to load the trigger for future finger pointing.

Same as why would Real Madrid want Joselu (ex-Newcastle and ex-stoke) or why Bayern would want chupo motang (ex-stoke).

An experienced option off the bench, who won't kick up a fuss knowing they aren't the No1 striker for the club (or no2).

Also it's been said more than once that hojlund needs to work with an experienced striker (on the training ground etc), to help his development.

Last edited:
Well, if concluded, they’ll be Manchester United signings.

Not sure pinning on a particular person serves any meaningful purpose, other than to load the trigger for future finger pointing.

It's funny how people can watch us play an entire season with 1 striker and end up playing Scott McTominay up front at times and not understand why it's good to have an experienced Premier League striker as backup.

They want £30m for him as well :lol:

United may well be mulling over an experienced PL striker, but I just don't see it happening. Even if we do very well with sales (which is itself unlikely), the likes of Toney and DCL just don't look like smart buys. If we had all the money in the world and the will to get an attacker in, I'd want someone to play wide.

That's a very, er, conspiracy theorist way to look at it. Sure, you can believe that EtH is some crazed Dutch nationalist trying to colonise Greater Manchester with the Oranje, but I think the reasons we're signing these players are a lot more logical than that.

Most of the reports around the new coaches have said that it was INEOS who insisted on the changes. Not sure EtH would have let van Der Gaag go if it had been all his own way. They've obviously let him have input though, can't just dump a bunch of guys he doesn't know/trust on him. Pep has a lot of Spaniards or Spanish speakers on his staff, so is it that unusual?

Similarly, Zirkzee is supposed to be a signing suggested by Wilcox and the scouts. Again, I'm sure EtH has endorsed it, but I'd be surprised if it was his first choice, let alone his suggestion.

De Ligt feels like an opportunity signing more than anything. Our first choice was obviously Branthwaite, and then probably Yoro. The initial reports seem to suggest that we were made aware by Bayern that they'd be willing to sell him, and for a lot less than Everton want for Branthwaite. Also, he's a good player, do you not want us to sign good players because they're Dutch?

The links to Toney and DCL feel very loose. They were basically tacked on to the end of tweet by Whitwell, and since then the only thing I've seen has been from 'goodison news' and Teamtalk. Hardly tier 1 sources, and it basically reads as gossip anyway. I mean I'm sure EtH does want an experienced striker, but then isn't that a popular view of the caf as well? I can imagine a scenario where we might move for one of them, after we've sold all the players we want to get rid of and if the price was low enough, but I wouldn't bet my house on it. I certainly can't see us paying £60m for Toney just because EtH wants him. I think they'll be conscious of what happened with Casemiro and Antony.

They want £30m for him as well :lol:

United may well be mulling over an experienced PL striker, but I just don't see it happening. Even if we do very well with sales (which is itself unlikely), the likes of Toney and DCL just don't look like smart buys. If we had all the money in the world and the will to get an attacker in, I'd want someone to play wide.

Anyone who is upset by the Zirkzee signing but also wants DCL just shouldn't be allowed to express football opinions anymore :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.